As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battlefield 2142: Keeps crashing. How do I fix it?

KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels StupendousRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I really want to play this, and it has worked on this desktop before. It keeps crashing, before patching and after patching. I have Windows 7, Radeon 5450, 4gb DDR3 Ram, AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz, and according to my Dxdiag, DirectX 11, even though I thought I had 9 installed. I want to play it before BF2143 makes 2142 obsolete. It just crashes right after I run it.

Kadoken on

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    I dont think 2143 is a real thing. My google fu brought up nothing about it other than fans asking for it. Other than that, have you tried flat out re-formatting your PC? That system should be enough to run an older game like that.

Though is the 5450 a laptop video card? Sometimes this causes problems with games new and old.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    No, the 5450 is a desktop card. I've been able to run it before, but it won't start without crashing now.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    I have no experience with the game, but when I went to look it up I noticed that it seems like there have probably been updates since it was released (considering release dates vs. current version date). Think you might be able to delete your old game settings and find an older/newer patch of the game? Maybe that would make it start working again.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Essee wrote:
    I have no experience with the game, but when I went to look it up I noticed that it seems like there have probably been updates since it was released (considering release dates vs. current version date). Think you might be able to delete your old game settings and find an older/newer patch of the game? Maybe that would make it start working again.
    I've done unpatched, with 1.5 and 1.51. maybe deleting old settings might help.

• Options
    I think the reason its crashes is when I install it, it says it can't install Direct X. I might be naive about this and this might only be on Steam games, but don't you need to reinstall Direct X for every game you install.

• Options
    ValaenaValaena Registered User regular
    Outside of Steam, I don't believe I've ever reinstalled Direct X. Most of the time, if it allows, I just uncheck the little 'Install Direct X' box and I've never had a problem with it.

Have you checked to make sure your firewall doesn't have it auto blocked or something, so when its loading up its also closing it down?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    Tried running it as admin?