As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

okcupid thread or i guess general dating thread

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    plymouth, uk

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote:
    there are literally no girls on okcupid within 100 miles of me

I had this problem last time. In fact I think you me and Berk discussed the phenomenon and browsed each others' selections

...mind you I think "last time" equates to years at this point

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    i was halfway through messaging a girl before i realised that it was plymouth state university

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote:
    plymouth, uk

hmm she's 24 and local:
    My self-summary

I know i aint much to look at but its not what people looks like its what is inside that counts im a fun bubbly person and im really a romantic :) i may not look that good from the outside but good inside

What I’m doing with my life
    i have 3 wonderful children which one does not live with but the other 2 do, i enjoy football with the children also love swimming im an outdoor person but loves the quiet nights in with a dvd and popcorn

I’m really good at
    being a mum and keeping everybody happy, im really sure what im good at to be honest

The first things people usually notice about me
    my ass lol everyone says i got a cute bum so that is fine lol

Favorite books, movies, shows, music, and food
    oh where to start im a big fan of Twilight and Vampire Diaries i dont mind gavin and stacey and music i like anything except heavy metal and that sort of music i like most foods

The six things I could never do without
    my phone
    my family
    my friends
    my children
    thats all i can think of lol

I spend a lot of time thinking about
    a new life with a nice decent guy

my ass lol everyone says i got a cute bum so that is fine lol

that right there is a complete and utter turnoff

also twilight and barefaced admitting to being ugly

Here I thought you loved statements peppered with lols

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    also she has three kids 'which one does not live with but the other 2 do'

edited December 2011
    Edcrab wrote:

only like ironically LOL

ps kids are not a problem i can deal, my ex was a mum

Beasteh on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    my phone
    my family
    my friends
    my children
    thats all i can think of lol

I don't know why

but this one sounded more dumb than any of the other lols

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote:
    i was halfway through messaging a girl before i realised that it was plymouth state university

Oh hey I knew people that went there.

Beasteh wrote:
    Edcrab wrote:

only like ironically LOL

I'm more concerned that she... can't seem to find one of her kids? Really I'm not even sure how to parse that sentence.

she basically sounds like an idiot who let herself get fucked around and is now a bored, out of shape mother of three at 24

edited December 2011
    Maybe she is a grandmaster of irony and it's just beyond you and me

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    she's reached levels of irony beasteh couldn't even conceive

EzUAYcn.png
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    Well hey there dating people, you're looking good :winky:

I'm thinking I might maybe possibly join you soon. Don't really want to, but I do at the same time. And i'm wondering how I'd even do at this point

ETqXK.png
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    also maybe I'm not hip to it because I'm not single

but surely a profile that's written so clumsily—with zero attention paid not even to grammar but to basic things like your SHIFT KEY and your FULL STOP KEY—isn't going to net you that much attention

maybe I am overthinking this... maybe

but a profile written like that makes me think that if you're so inattentive and vapid as to the way you "sell" yourself or try to attract people enough to send you a message, it does not make me think you are really very serious about finding someone on OKC at all and are just doing it for some other reason

maybe those reasons are valid, sure, but I dunno, I feel like if she can't even put the effort into making a profile that's coherent, why bother making one at all

Vivixenne on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote:
    Beasteh wrote:
    Edcrab wrote:

only like ironically LOL

I'm more concerned that she... can't seem to find one of her kids? Really I'm not even sure how to parse that sentence.

England, right?

I'm sure it got eaten by a feral Hobbit or something.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    No its not just you Viv, I agree with you 100%. Its just lazy!

edited December 2011
    Maybe it's the done thing in order to be hip and detached

You know, showing you're not desperate or something by putting no effort in at all

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited December 2011
    My profile is stupid. There's no picture, it's full of bad jokes, it's not close to completion and I hate it. I still get messages at least once a week or more with people wanting to talk or go on dates.

They all get ignored.

lol

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    You all had better stop talking such rottenness about my future wife.

Vivixenne wrote:
    also maybe I'm not hip to it because I'm not single

but surely a profile that's written so clumsily—with zero attention paid not even to grammar but to basic things like your SHIFT KEY and your FULL STOP KEY—isn't going to net you that much attention

maybe I am overthinking this... maybe

but a profile written like that makes me think that if you're so inattentive and vapid as to the way you "sell" yourself or try to attract people enough to send you a message, it does not make me think you are really very serious about finding someone on OKC at all and are just doing it for some other reason

maybe those reasons are valid, sure, but I dunno, I feel like if she can't even put the effort into making a profile that's coherent, why bother making one at all

You are definitely over thinking this. There are a lot of people who do not see grammar and all this as a priority. Especially not online

That might not make them your ideal person, but it doesn't make them an unsuitable match

ETqXK.png
    tito do you want to internet date me we can go and get some ice cream and maybe play some of that new spyro game on xbox

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    A cute bum and the desire to keep me happy.

That's all I need.

ChicoBlue wrote:
    You all had better stop talking such rottenness about my future wife.

I see where that other child went to now.

You've got weird dowry requirements.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
    Huh, nevermind. I guess I'm the only one who thinks that way.

ETqXK.png
    Well in that case I've got to say that I'm a very petty and shallow person, because a basic grasp of the language is pretty much a must as far as I'm concerned.

Or at least the absence of lols

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited December 2011
    but Kyle, it's not even the grammar that is actually bothering me

it's the sheer vapidity, if you will, of the stuff she is saying

you read all that stuff in her profile and you realize that even though you've read it, you know NOTHING about her except for the fact that has kids, laughs out loud a LOT, has an allegedly cute butt (LOL) and cannot think of a six thing she can't live without

Vivixenne on
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Maybe Viv and I are just fussy?

• crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote:
    tito do you want to internet date me we can go and get some ice cream and maybe play some of that new spyro game on xbox

sounds good and fun let's do that

EzUAYcn.png
    it is absolutely imperative that my prospective partner has at least a journeyman grasp of the english language

edited December 2011
    Futore wrote:
    Huh, nevermind. I guess I'm the only one who thinks that way.

I could see someone not having particularly strong writing skills consequently having a profile on OKC that doesn't really sell itself.

It just gives a horrible first impression, since for sites like this it's really just your writing and your pictures that you have to work with.

Brolo on
    I don't care about grammar considering I ain't very good with it myself. What I am interested in is someone who likes being bound and gagged and transported across state lines.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited December 2011
    I don't think I'm very fussy, and I don't mean that in a defensive way

mostly I think that, okay, you sign up on a dating site to meet people, usually because other more "conventional" methods have not worked

when your profile is essentially the ONLY thing people look at prior to establishing contact, the fact that no EFFORT has been made to coherently share a single interesting thing about yourself, to me, indicates that if I messaged you, I'd be wasting my time

either you're not really into the OKC idea and you're doing it because you really don't know where else to go

or you want to seem completely "above" the online dating thing

or you want to appear completely aloof and disinterested (WHICH MIGHT WORK IN REAL LIFE BUT DOES NOT WORK ON A DATING SITE BECAUSE YOU ARE ON A DATING SITE YOU ARE CLEARLY INTERESTED ON SOME LEVEL OR ANOTHER so it's bullshit anyway)

and these things, to me, personally, do not appeal in the slightest (no matter how cute the butt really is), particularly if I were on OKC looking for a relationship with some potential

Vivixenne on
    Fair enough then. Less the actual grammar and spelling, more just the ability to portray ideas or just be interesting

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Futore wrote:
    You are definitely over thinking this. There are a lot of people who do not see grammar and all this as a priority. Especially not online

That might not make them your ideal person, but it doesn't make them an unsuitable match

Yeah, while horrible grammar online bugs me, I know plenty of smart people in real life that just don't care about it online

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote:
    Maybe Viv and I are just fussy?
    Nah. There seems like a good portion of people who dont really put any effort into their profiles or their messages. And probably a good portion of those who still get messaged a lot because they skate by on looks.

Macro9 wrote:
    I don't care about grammar considering I ain't very good with it myself. What I am interested in is someone who likes being bound and gagged and transported across state lines.
    My self-summary

im a girl with real curves and I'm very comfortable in my own skin! I'm really sexual and adventurous definitely no boring sex for this woman!! I currently live in the Albany Mobile Homes community with my four year old son Tye and five year old son Jamal. im not only looking for "the one" for me but also my kids. they need a respectible father figure.

I'm passionate and live life to the fullest. i go hard for the man in my life and im definitely a ride or die chick. im looking for somebody like me, romantic, sexual and EMPLOYED! ive sworn off deadbeats, so dont bother!

I make EVERYTHING and EVERYONE look good!!! But remember Im not just your arm candy!

I am sexy, curvy, and single

What I’m doing with my life
    I live off of section 8 and food stamps.

I also sell (AND USE A LOT OF) sex toys. I like men who know their way around vibrators, handcuffs, gags, anal-beads, bondage straps, collars, whips, paddles, muzzles, clamps, to name a few.

I’m really good at

Sex, making out, drinking, cooking, being a mother,
    The first things people usually notice about me
    My sexy curves and eyes

Favorite books, movies, shows, music, and food

I don't really read much, but I love to pick up a Cosmopolitan at the grocery store to learn how to please my man! ;)

I don't have cable, but I'm always borrowing movies or digging through the 2 for 5 bin at Walmart!

I love to cook, and always have a fully stocked kitchen (thanks, Benefit card!). I don't like any of that vegetarian crap, give me real food! I'm from Virginia so i like dirty southern food, especially anything fried.

I usually listen to country or rap! LIL WEEZY!

sex
    my sons
    bud
    my neighbors wireless internet connection hehee
    good food
    did i mention sex?

All this talk of grammar and no proof of this supposed cute butt.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited December 2011
    Edcrab wrote:
    Fair enough then. Less the actual grammar and spelling, more just the ability to portray ideas or just be interesting

Pretty much. I probably didn't make it clear in my initial post on the matter, but it's the lack of effort more than the lack of proper grammar that would bug me.

Vivixenne on
This discussion has been closed.