As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Maxed out like your credit card. Go post in the new thread!

• BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    We're just lucky Steam only allows you to buy and gift games.
    Imagine if they added in films, music or internal organs.

steam_sig.png
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I wasn't actually feeling that Christmasy, but I put the tree up the other day, and with this sale coming up, I finally feel in the festive spirit.

Also, I'd really like Steam to integrate Flash Games into their F2P thing. The only significant amount of gaming I do that isn't on Steam is on Kongregate. XKCD was right about flash games.
    flash_games.png

Lord_Snot on
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    datac0re wrote:
    APO, grab someone here, and hold on tight. It's a wild ride, but it's exaggerated. Most of us survive.

Technically speaking, everyone "survives".

But some go bankrupt and have their houses repossessed.

They call em survivors... but when you look in their eyes, you can tell a part of them didn't make it out, like they've seen one to many horrors, far too many frozen credit cards, and too many friends lost to too many game banks.

My backlog is already a thing of legends, and this sale is seriously going to wreck me.
    But I'm still going to enjoy it.

At least after this sale, we have a good long break until the Summer Sale to clear our backlogs a bit.

you poor naive soul. The winter sale is coming.

I meant after the winter sale. The Winter Sale is what I meant by "this sale"

Unless there is a Christmas Sale and a separate Winter Sale... which is impossible.

• starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    I don't even know what I'm going to buy during the sale. My great white would probably be some 60-75% bundle on a few Assassins Creed games. 5 dollar Burnout would be an instant buy since I was disappointed with Grid/Dirt3. 7 dollar dragon age 1.

I think I threw my digital back out during the thanksgiving and halloween sales.

camo_sig2.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I'm starting to budget for my Winter Sale gifting. I actually gave a call to my bank to notify the fraud prevention department about the distinct possibility of a few hundred dollars in charges, most likely spread out over dozens and dozens of sub-$20 purchases.

They thought it was a little odd. Said they usually get these calls about people going overseas, but that I should be in the clear. Crossing my fingers for no debit card freezes!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    This sale is going to suck. I planned on doing a hefty amount of gifting since I was all set with a new job barring some totally unexpected problem arising during the pre-employment screening stuff.

Some totally unexpected problem arose during the pre-employment screening stuff, and I got fucked out of a sure thing because of it. First job offer in over a year, too.

Spent more than usual during BF getting presents for friends and family anticipating the job, so I'm going to be really strapped when it comes to gifting and getting stuff from this sale. I still plan on doing a little bit of each, but nowhere near as much as I'd wanted :(.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    Lord_Snot wrote:
    I wasn't actually feeling that Christmasy, but I put the tree up the other day, and with this sale coming up, I finally feel in the festive spirit.

The Steam Christmas Sale is the new holiday. Screw actual Christmas.

steam_sig.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I'm starting to budget for my Winter Sale gifting. I actually gave a call to my bank to notify the fraud prevention department about the distinct possibility of a few hundred dollars in charges, most likely spread out over dozens and dozens of sub-$20 purchases.

They thought it was a little odd. Said they usually get these calls about people going overseas, but that I should be in the clear. Crossing my fingers for no debit card freezes!

I'm not going to lie. you coming in every day to report a credit card being frozen was one of the fun parts of the thanksgiving sale

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    RoyceX7 wrote:
    What's the point of stacking the winter objectives in such a rush that some are working on? The rewards would be on a 1st come 1st serve basis?

It's a matter of getting them out of the way early, before you feel rushed to do them or before something comes up that you didn't realize. Getting every winter achievement for every game would be a hell of a task, so the wider a timeframe you give yourself theoretically the more likely it is you get as many as you can.

liEt3nH.png
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I hope the prizes for the achievement stuff isn't something I'm in to. I really dislike achievement whoring unless I love the game, and I don't want steam to try and tell me what to play damn it. (unless its telling me to play skyrim in which case ON THE SAME PAGE, GABBYN)

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    What INANTP said. Holidays are family time for a lot of people too. I might've had the entire summer sale to do all the summer ones, but Xmas and New Years is a different story.

Not to mention some require being a decent amount of progress into a game. It's one thing if you can get it the first level, another if you need to be five levels in like Trine.

• rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    I don't even know what I'm going tio buy during the sale. My great white would probably be some 60-75% bundle on a few Assassins Creed games. 5 dollar Burnout would be an instant buy since I was disappointed with Grid/Dirt3. 7 dollar dragon age 1.

I think I threw my digital back out during the thanksgiving and halloween sales.

Burnout should be around that I think going from previous sales. It's a cracking game too!

I really want a good sale on devil may cry 4 and flatout ultimate carnage, I have a feeling santa may be bringing skyrim.. Enough hints have been dropped to the wife :-)

steam_sig.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I switched to Heavy Metal Robot Unicorn last week when I found out it was Blind Guardian.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular

Girder your loins, boys, for we stand upon the precipice of an age of new and untold horrors. Many of us won't survive the Sale, but those that do will earn their place at the table of the Newell.

My brothers and sisters: Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of Sale! Once more unto the sale, dear friends. ONCE MORE!

My brothers. I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of The Steam Thread  fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of classiness, but it is not this day. An hour of fraud agents and shattered wallets when the Age of Gentlemen comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we shop! By all that you hold dear on this good thread, I bid you stand, Gentlemen of the Steam Thread!

For the Newell!

• rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    I hope the prizes for the achievement stuff isn't something I'm in to. I really dislike achievement whoring unless I love the game, and I don't want steam to try and tell me what to play damn it. (unless its telling me to play skyrim in which case ON THE SAME PAGE, GABBYN)

For the last treasure hunt I just did the achievements for the games I enjoy, it was pretty good fun and the best prize for me was alien breed 2 full game

steam_sig.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

I'm not going to lie. you coming in every day to report a credit card being frozen was one of the fun parts of the thanksgiving sale

TWICE some days!

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Do we need to get ALL the achievements to get a prize in this Winter Objective thing?

Cause A; I don't own most of those games, and B; fuckin' SMB has an impossible one.

Oh brilliant
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I haven't seen any indication of a prize wall like the summer event had, so it may just be a case of "each completed achievement is an entry into the prize draw".

liEt3nH.png
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Usually 1 achievement equals 1 entry to the giveaway, so it HELPS if you do them all, but 1 is enough to enter.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    We have no idea what the cheevos do yet but they might get us hats so we are collecting them all like Pokemon.

steam_sig.png
  • JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Can I get an invite to the Steam group? Plz n thx (I thought for sure I was already in, apparently not.)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jrosey/

edit: nvm I am in, steam is being weird.

JRosey on
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Roshin wrote:
    Lord_Snot wrote:

If I was to make a christmas card it would read like this: "Merry Steam Sale and a happy New Backlog!"
    You would open it, see a picture of the Newell and this song would start playing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbuisIfAtuQ
    Then I would send it too all you guys! ^^

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    So Bloodbath Arena for Dead Island.

It's on sale with the game.

I have the game but haven't played it outside of the intro.

Is it worth getting? Seems you can get xp and loot?

It's only $5, but I have a feeling it'll be at least that cheap during the Christmas sale at some point. Maybe I'll just hold off.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    My brothers. I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of The Steam Thread  fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of classiness, but it is not this day. An hour of fraud agents and shattered wallets when the Age of Gentlemen comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we shop! By all that you hold dear on this good thread, I bid you stand, Gentlemen of the Steam Thread!

For the Newell!

Nice. I was just watching that last night. While stuffing, labeling and stamping 200 Christmas cards. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    For anyone having absurd loading times with Shogun 2, run it in DirectX9 instead of DirectX11

It adds barely anything to the game unless you're planning on zooming into individual units all the time, and it causes fuckoff long load times even if you can run it just fine at those specs

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Do we need to get ALL the achievements to get a prize in this Winter Objective thing?

Cause A; I don't own most of those games, and B; fuckin' SMB has an impossible one.

It's not impossible. I'm just not willing to run Super Meat Boy for five hours while I try to do it.

edited December 2011
    Welp, both Bit.Trip.Beat's achievements done babeh.

Meat.Boy.Smells is one I am proud of.

@Taramoor - I got the one for clearing A kid Xmas level.

But there's one for clearing all of them in one sitting.

Fuck that noise.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
    Welp, both Bit.Trip.Beat's achievements done babeh.

Meat.Boy.Smells is one I am proud of.

@Taramoor - I got the one for clearing A kid Xmas level.

But there's one for clearing all of them in one sitting.

Fuck that noise.

That's the one I was talking about. I too jumped over the top of those walls.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

TWICE some days!

in 40 years there will be a cargo cult obsessed with you, Incident.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote:

It's not impossible. I'm just not willing to run Super Meat Boy for five hours while I try to do it.

Yeah, this is where I stand on this

I can see that it's possible, but it would take so long that I'd be a miserable ball of hatred when it was done

It's a badly designed achievement, and I'm not really fond of some of the level designs either

Maddoc wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:

Yeah, this is where I stand on this

I can see that it's possible, but it would take so long that I'd be a miserable ball of hatred when it was done

It's a badly designed achievement, and I'm not really fond of some of the level designs either

Well, once I realized I could double-jump with the character you have to use it became a lot more reasonable-seeming. But still hard as balls.

• FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    Roshin wrote:
    Lord_Snot wrote:

N6q24.jpg

• JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    Am I doing this right? Payday: The Heist giveaway!??!

http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/tAemg/payday-the-heist

Buttcleft wrote:

TWICE some days!

in 40 years there will be a cargo cult obsessed with you, Incident.

My very own Prince Phillip Movement?

That'd be so cool.

Anyone wanna play Payday in about an hour? Cause you guys never play Payday with me and I'm saaad.

Oh brilliant
  • BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    Who needs a Christmas sale! Limbo finally caught up with me thanks to Taramoor's simultaneously kind and classy gift.
    Thanks, it's been on my to watch list, now it's time to start playing.

steam_sig.png
    Anyone wanna play Payday in about an hour? Cause you guys never play Payday with me and I'm saaad.

Sorry, I have a habit of not setting Steam "away" while I'm at work or SWTORing.

For the record, I'm not home right now, despite what Steam may be telling you.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

I am always down for a robbery or heist.

steam_sig.png
    I'm actually super terrible about setting my Steam as away, in so much as I never do it ever basically.

Also minor are you on Shadowlands?

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Which SMB achievement are you guys talking about? The one to just beat an XMAS level is super easy if you cheat by jumping over the columns in the Sweater level. It took me less than 40 seconds to get it, and I don't really like platformers and have never played SMB before (just got it in the latest Humble Bundle).

I think there's another achievement for beating all of the Xmas levels though, and, well, fuck that one.

This discussion has been closed.