As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Maxed out like your credit card. Go post in the new thread!

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote:
    Aw man, Jamestown is AWESOME. Why didn't anyone tell me?! Thank you humble bundle.

The music, the artwork, the story, the gameplay. This is a badass game.

I played it for the first time for about an hour this morning, and it is pretty damn great. I am especially fond of the pixel art which has a very SNES vibe for me. I wish it had online, but I can't see an online-enabled shmup actually working.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Seem to have missed it, is there a list of the competition's achievements, went to load up bit trip but didn't know what to do!

Also, that diamond heist, the one time I did it was with Incident, my keyboard spazzed out and I was constantly running to the left while occasionally spraying the room with bullets.

The guards noticed.

TPSou on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Got home after a weekend away and a bunch of my games updated all at once... Christmas is ready to begin

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Lord_Snot wrote:
    So, Super Meat Boy.

It's quite good, but at times I think that the things it practices should be best left in the past. Unknowable death traps and unavoidable attack patterns aren't fun, they're exercises in self-hate.

When it's good, it's great, but I really don't think the fun makes up for the rage you feel when you fall onto a sawblade you had no reason to think would be there. I guess that's what you should expect when you play SMB, but seriously, I question why it exists.

Aside from the glitch levels and the retro stages, whenever you die you are out of at most maybe twenty seconds. Thirty if you die at the very end of a longer stage.

Mind you, I can't actually think of any stages that fit the criteria of "unknowable death traps" or "unavoidable attack patterns"

Generally speaking I feel like the stages are excellent at showing you what's coming ahead of time, or setting the stage up in such a way that gives you a clue as to what is coming.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    PodunkPodunk Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Maddoc wrote:
    Steam thread

I have a problem

Any time there are finite upgrade resources in a game, I tend to sit on them and just never upgrade anything ever

I'm now having this problem in Orcs Must Die

Do you eventually get enough skulls to upgrade everything? This would make things so much easier on me.

If you play through normal and then again on nightmare, then those upgrades carry over and you gain more skulls. However, you'll likely find that you have favorite items, and you should have enough skulls to upgrade all of those by the end of the first playthrough. At least that was my experience.

Podunk on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    jclast wrote:
    anoffday wrote:
    Aw man, Jamestown is AWESOME. Why didn't anyone tell me?! Thank you humble bundle.

I played it for the first time for about an hour this morning, and it is pretty damn great. I am especially fond of the pixel art which has a very SNES vibe for me. I wish it had online, but I can't see an online-enabled shmup actually working.

Picked up a copy in the HiB, played it yesterday based on rcomments here...and dumped 6 hours into it in quick succession.
    Depressed I can't hear the music, but aside from that, a ton of fun. Also wishing for on-line co-op.

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:
    We had one near-perfect Diamond Heist where none of the gadgets jammed, the codes worked the first time, and we only got spotted toward the end.

I think all said and done it took two minutes.

I was a part of that run with you and it was a thing of beauty. One of my favorite gaming moments ever. That one is SO hard to nail, but so very satisfying when you get it. I've only gotten through that smoothly the one time out of at least 20 attempts.

You gits are selling this so hard. Just a quick question, how big is the file size for the game? Wanna get an idea of how long the download would be.

My folder's about 3.2 gigs.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote:
    jclast wrote:
    anoffday wrote:

Picked up a copy in the HiB, played it yesterday based on rcomments here...and dumped 6 hours into it in quick succession.
    Depressed I can't hear the music, but aside from that, a ton of fun. Also wishing for on-line co-op.

Yeah, maybe I'm bias then because I LOVE SNES graphics. I still think a lot SNES games look prettier than some games today.

Also, why can't you hear the music? That's part of the awesomeness. At least grab the soundtrack they made available.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Tertiee wrote:
    Big Isy wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:
    We had one near-perfect Diamond Heist where none of the gadgets jammed, the codes worked the first time, and we only got spotted toward the end.

I was a part of that run with you and it was a thing of beauty. One of my favorite gaming moments ever. That one is SO hard to nail, but so very satisfying when you get it. I've only gotten through that smoothly the one time out of at least 20 attempts.

You gits are selling this so hard. Just a quick question, how big is the file size for the game? Wanna get an idea of how long the download would be.

My folder's about 3.2 gigs.

Yeah that's gonna take alot longer than an hour for me, daily deal it is i guess.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote:
    CroakerBC wrote:
    jclast wrote:
    anoffday wrote:

Yeah, maybe I'm bias then because I LOVE SNES graphics. I still think a lot SNES games look prettier than some games today.

Also, why can't you hear the music? That's part of the awesomeness. At least grab the soundtrack they made available.

Ah, were talking about Jamestown? I wanna talk about Jamestown too!

Whatever dev team made this knows their Cave and Treasure and Touhou all up and down. This game deserves to immortalize them aside those dev teams.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I hear awesome things regarding Payday from you guys... but then a Meta score of 71... so conflicted...

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    mts wrote:
    do you need the card or can you pay like paypal with that?

Think you need the card. They sent it to me and it was all nice and free.

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    I hear awesome things regarding Payday from you guys... but then a Meta score of 71... so conflicted...

I think it gets points off for just being "x movie bank heist: the game" and somewhat unsatisfying shooting.

But, like most things, it seems like it is great with friends and its fairly cheap.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    Lord_Snot wrote:
    So, Super Meat Boy.

It's quite good, but at times I think that the things it practices should be best left in the past. Unknowable death traps and unavoidable attack patterns aren't fun, they're exercises in self-hate.

When it's good, it's great, but I really don't think the fun makes up for the rage you feel when you fall onto a sawblade you had no reason to think would be there. I guess that's what you should expect when you play SMB, but seriously, I question why it exists.

Aside from the glitch levels and the retro stages, whenever you die you are out of at most maybe twenty seconds. Thirty if you die at the very end of a longer stage.

Mind you, I can't actually think of any stages that fit the criteria of "unknowable death traps" or "unavoidable attack patterns"

Generally speaking I feel like the stages are excellent at showing you what's coming ahead of time, or setting the stage up in such a way that gives you a clue as to what is coming.

Yeah I'm not sure what Lord Snot is talking about. That wasn't my SMB experience at all. It was exactly unlike I Wanna Be The Guy in that regard. The only time I had "surprise" deaths was the first time encountering new things like homing rockets and those little dark meat boys in Rapture. But then I knew what they did and was ready.

And again, you lose seconds when you die. That was the brilliance of SMB. It was hard and punishing, yes, but the levels were short enough and respawn so fast that it never felt all that unfair.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, at least in SMB you can tell why you're dieing, unlike BIT TRIP Runner, which is making me want to punch something

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nappuccino wrote:

I think it gets points off for just being "x movie bank heist: the game" and somewhat unsatisfying shooting.

But, like most things, it seems like it is great with friends and its fairly cheap.

why would it lose points for being x movie bank heist: the game? How the hell many of those are there out there?

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

7 out of 10 used to mean "good" :(

• Options
    MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Demigod 4pack group, I'm checking in!

Also from the game deals thread:
    Kaseius wrote:

SR3 for 20 quid ($30) sounds really nice, will hold out for the sale though..

Mangaroo on
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote:
    CroakerBC wrote:

Like I say - it's been fun. I've just punted the DLC onto my wishlist. If nothing else, it's a shmup that I'm actually not bad at, and that's such a rarity I have to endorse it wholeheartedly. It does remind me of 16-bit graphics, now you mention it. Finally unlocked 'Farce' mode, so have to try that out.

The lack of sound is a side effect of enivronment - playing on a laptop in a living room surrounded by relatives. I'll be back in the same country as my desktop after Christmas, and I can try it with the sound then. Along with Sanctum, and a few other graphics heavy/system heavy games. In the meantime, just having to make do!

• Options
    I think I'm about halfway through Gemini Rue so I may have to push through that just to knock at least one game from my backlog before I add more over the next two weeks

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Nappuccino wrote:

why would it lose points for being x movie bank heist: the game? How the hell many of those are there out there?

So much of modern game reviews read like a sarcastic attempt to tear something down for pure entertainment that I just don't trust them anymore. And then there is the arbitrary number scheme. What does a 6/10 for graphics mean anyway? What do I think if a game like VVVVVV gets marked down like that? Then all of these arbitrary numbers get lumped together into the review. Then review aggregation lumps all of these arbitrary scores together, when different sites have wildly different methods of arriving at these scores. The whole thing is completely untrustworthy in my opinion. If people I'm actively playing games with enjoy a game, then I'm far more inclined to believe the game is fun than some kind of haphazardly created lump sum.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I understand Payday as essentially Left 4 Dead, but with cops instead of zombies.

Which makes it sound all kinds of inappropriate now that I think about it.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I felt bad the first time I gunned down a security guard. He's just doing his job, right?

First time some elite police guy 1 shotted me, I lost all empathy for the 'good guys' in Payday.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Man, looking through these Christmas achievements makes me realize that I already have a lot of the games that I want. Maybe something like Puzzle Agent 1/2, Dungeon Defenders, SPAZ, or Psychonauts. Aside from "big" games like Skyrim (probably going to wait until the GOTY edition), Dead Island (yeah, on sale today, I know), Portal 2 (almost certainly going to be on sale for $10 or so), or Deus Ex.

(Somebody remember me saying this, and then ask me about my total damage by the end of the sale.)

Also, feel free to add me as a Steam friend:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/Random35

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Nappuccino wrote:

More importantly, what's wrong with 71?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    holy balls the beat hazard cheevos D:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    hahahaha

I have started folding every hand unless I start with at least one king. This last match I played? I may have only bet on 5 hands, but I won the tournament.

edit: bwuh. This is getting creepy. Tycho's been the sole (other) survivor three times in a row, playing this way.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Lord Yod wrote:
    holy balls the beat hazard cheevos D:

I managed the 5 minute achievement after a few tries

Only because an ACDC song came up on the christmas radio station so my ship actually had a decent damage output, the song that came after was a quiet piano one that I only just survived

• Options
    slappybagslappybag Local Badass Minnesota, USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Is this where I go to join the Penny Arcade group?

I want in!
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/slappy_bag

slappybag on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Maddoc wrote:
    Steam thread

I have a problem

Any time there are finite upgrade resources in a game, I tend to sit on them and just never upgrade anything ever

I'm now having this problem in Orcs Must Die

Do you eventually get enough skulls to upgrade everything? This would make things so much easier on me.

If you have no DLC then getting 5 skulls on every stage on both Normal and Hard (Easy shares skulls with Normal and only allows you to get a max of 2) then you can upgrade everything. However, if you have the DLC weapons, then you also need the DLC stages (and clear them on normal/hard) in order to upgrade everything. However, there are a few upgrades that can easily be put off until last (ie. Wall Blades instant kill everything but ogres and gnolls who are rarely going to be hit by them, so why bother upgrading their damage? And ceiling pounders are the same except their upgrade only adds a stun when there are already a bunch of ways to stun things).

Also, would it be possible to get an invite to the Steam Group?
    Edit: Much thanks to iolo.

Just came across this and seemed appropriate for gift giving season:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXPrkOuy8r8

Lars on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    slappybag wrote:
    Is this where I go to join the Penny Arcade group?

I want in!
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/slappy_bag

Stick around for a bit and participate. Play some games, make some lame jokes and stuff.

Then we'll see about that invite.

Used to be most of us didn't care so much, but with the Steam group being used for community giveaways and stuff we've started limiting membership to active community members.

Drake on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Big Isy wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:

It's only 3.3 gigs, installed. Not sure of the exact download size, but roughly that.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Figgy wrote:
    Nappuccino wrote:

More importantly, what's wrong with 71?

I've always thought the reason that game ratings are skewed towards the upper end of the spectrum is that people automatically associate scores out of a hundred with school grades.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

7 out of 10 used to mean "good" :(

Hah, yeah. But even if we're taking the modern definition of 7/10 to mean "So-So", I understand. I mean, the single-player mode is shit. Just there to fill a checkbox. Playing it with (decent) partners in crime is the only way to go about it.

It's a bit of a one trick pony. Fortunately, that trick is exceptionally fun.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    slappybagslappybag Local Badass Minnesota, USARegistered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    Stick around for a bit and participate. Play some games, make some lame jokes and stuff.
    Does Penny have TF2/CSS/L4D/Battlefield servers?
    I play those

Oh, I can do lame jokes. And stuff? I got more stuff than I know what to do with.
    tumblr_lvi319YOIH1qzjix8.gif
    Drake wrote:
    the Steam group being used for community giveaways and stuff we've started limiting membership to active community members.
    I see, I'll post around more.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Yeah, there are certainly valid criticisms of Payday (some of which, like restricting certain stages only to the highest difficulties, and the inability to join games in progress, have been fixed via patches, and others, like the confusing upgrade system, which have not), but I'd certainly take the Metacritic reviews for the PC version with a rather large grain of salt.

It is a game that assumes you'll have four players who have a basic idea of what the fuck they're supposed to be doing, which is a risky proposition for any multiplayer game.

Unfortunately for me it's one of those games that randomly crashes on me all the time, so I haven't played it as much as I wanted to, but it's well worth $10 the next time it goes on sale.

• Options
    slappybag wrote:
    Drake wrote:
    Does Penny have TF2/CSS/L4D/Battlefield servers?
    I play those

Oh, I can do lame jokes. And stuff? I got more stuff than I know what to do with.
    tumblr_lvi319YOIH1qzjix8.gif
    Drake wrote:
    the Steam group being used for community giveaways and stuff we've started limiting membership to active community members.
    I see, I'll post around more.

TF2 isn't as active around here as it used to be, but last I checked we still have servers that get some activity. Check the TF2 thread for details. CSS, not so much. L4D is still played a lot around here though, I'm more of a Killing Floor guy or I'd hook you up with the details on Armadeaddon, which is the PA L4D group. I'm sure that BF3 is getting played right now. There is a thread for that one as well. Should be on the front or second page.

So yeah, welcome to PA, we like new people.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Hey I just beat Dead Space! Backlog down 1 ! Next up is witcher, except, you know...

steam sale.

I just want to let you all know that I love you very much, even that guy who made me play Pox Nora, and whoever said A.R.E.S. was good. Merry Spendmas.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Miso RoneryMiso Ronery Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Have all the good little children prepared their offering for the Newell?

If you're wondering what to offer, I hear he likes money... and knives.

EDIT: I apparently suck at embedding video!
    If you don't like the Giant Bomb guys, fast forward to 2:20!
    http://www.giantbomb.com/giant-bomb-valve/17-4014/

Miso Ronery on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WiddershinzWiddershinz Registered User regular
    Guys, guys, guys, Hey! Listen!

Can you hear it?

Sales a-comin'

Steam ID widdershinsaus
This discussion has been closed.