As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Aion] Is Now Completely Free To Play. 3.0 Is Now Live.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    So Aion is going free to play in Europe. No announcement of anywhere else for the time being.

If you're interested and want to and/or played in Europe here's some info for you:

F2P FAQ
    F2P Account Types

Everything is pretty much how you'd expect for a F2P game. It greatly resembles the CoX F2P model with a basic account, a "veteran" account for previous players, and a "Gold" account for those who choose to buy the status for the month with bonuses.

I expect it to come to the US eventually, but we'll see I suppose. I guess it depends on how the servers are looking. They'll probably merge a couple more times first. Maybe.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• TornelcoTornelco ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Registered User regular
    I don't really expect any more merges for a while, I've been logging in, off and on this last month or so and at least the two servers I play on are still seeing some decent population levels. Though I am still leveling so who knows, maybe there is a lack of people running end game stuff. All I know is I see a solid amount of dudes running around out in the world while I am doing my leveling.

• MaouMaou Registered User regular

F2P is the future.

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    I wonder why europe and not the US...I was thinking the other day too "Aion would be really successful as a f2p game" hah. Too bad its europe only.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Simply put, they have enough subs NA-side, so leave that be while they try F2P in europe. If it does well, you'll see it in NA soon. If it fails, they still have NA going.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I just see the troll face and under it: U Jelly US? This MMO looked mediocre to me anyway.

It's actually pretty decent. Had I not played WoW since launch I would have ended up way more into it than I did; as it has the curse of virtually every "major" MMO in the last many years: WoW-itis. Good for new players but bad for people who've already played WoW for 7 years. Just too much of the same.

It's pretty and the character creator is far better than most games out there, options wise. It has a lot going for it and I wouldn't knock anyone who plays it, as I usually enjoy my time when they do free weeks and/or I feel like subbing for a month. It's just not something, as I said, having played WoW for so long, that I can bring myself to invest too much time into.

Kadoken wrote:
    I just see the troll face and under it: U Jelly US? This MMO looked mediocre to me anyway.

It's a decent game but it doesnt have enough of a population to warrant a resub, even on the NA side. It would be very successful as F2P though as the game has some seriously good production values.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    So, NCSoft just announced that Aion is going free to play in the States now too along with patch 3.0 which includes things like mounts and housing.

Press Release:
    Aion: Ascension Debuts with Innovative Truly Free Business Model and Epic 3.0 Content Update
    North American Players to Experience Full Game Features and 3.0 Content Free of Charge this Spring

Seattle, WA – February 21, 2012 – NCsoft®, the world's premier publisher and developer of massively multiplayer online games (MMOs), today announces Aion: Ascension, the Truly Free evolution of Aion, the award–winning fantasy MMO that rivals other MMOs with its stunning graphics, fierce PvP and customization. Aion: Ascension brings players unrestricted access to a world filled with deep lore, exploration and epic faction battles free of charge. Coupled with the change in business model coming this Spring, players will experience everything in the highly anticipated 3.0 content update, including housing, mounts, increased level cap (60), new zones and instances.

Aion: Ascension's Truly Free business model gives players access to the entire game, including the two major expansions, 3,000+ quests, 30+ instances, 18 zones, three instanced PvP games, pets, classes and key social features like the auction house, chat, trade, crafting, gathering and forums. And with new content from the 3.0 update, which provide several new gameplay systems that Aion fans have been asking for, Aion: Ascension will be one of the most compelling MMOs on the market.

Players experiencing the world of Atreia for the first time will be welcomed into the game with a refined starting area with ample content engaging players from the beginning of their journey with guides designed to assist their current efforts and advise them on where to go next. Returning and current players will not only be able to jump back into the game for free, but will find the new content coming in Aion 3.0 a great addition to the already strong offering.

For players wanting a head start, NCsoft is hosting a "Rallying the Troops" event which will give new players an extended no time limit trial with an increased level cap to 40, whilst returning veterans will have their accounts reactivated free for 14 days. In addition, everyone will enjoy permanent increased XP as well as other boosts to help level and gear up to experience the new content faster.

A sample of features coming in the Aion 3.0 content update include:
    Housing System – Everyone gets a home. Decorate and party in your new home.
    Mount System – A new gameplay system which lets Daevas speed around the world of Atreia in style.
    New Instances – Six new instances including a challenging 24-player raid.
    New Zones – Two stunning new zones in the Balaur homeland.
    New Level Cap – Five new levels bringing the max level to 60.

In addition to the new business model and Aion 3.0 content, NCsoft will implement new RMT countermeasures to ensure a safe and secure gaming experience for all of its players. These highly effective, proprietary methods will specifically target fraudulent transactions, bots and spammers and the confiscation of goods that have been acquired through RMT activities so that players can experience a no hassle/no harassment MMO experience.

Aion: Ascension with the innovative and improved Truly Free business model along with the 3.0 content update is scheduled to launch this Spring. More information can be found at na.aiononline.com.

Long and short: this "spring" it will go "fully" free to play. I haven't followed the EU F2P conversion so I don't know what that actually entails. They say that you can do everything in the game free, but there's gotta be limits. Who knows, maybe the actual game, as it is, will be free, and they'll sell xp or AP boots or something. I'm sure it'll all be clarified soon.

Apparently prior to 3.0 there'll be a 14 day event that will give increased xp, reactivate prior accounts and allow trials to see everything instead of the previous limits...i.e. the game will go f2p before the game goes f2p. yo dawg, I herd u like f2p...and all that.

So yeah. There you go. I'll probably have it installed from then on and play when I'm really bored like I do CoX; why not?

• Sorcha RavenlockSorcha Ravenlock Registered User regular
    So is this already F2P in Europe? I tried searching for it, but all I got was links to the US site announcing f2P soon.
    I wouldn't mind taking a look at Aion, I've always liked the art style but the forced PvP (no PvE servers) turned me off enough not to want to spend any actual money on the game.
    Does anyone have a link to the EU client download?

• darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    I always wanted to like Aion, but something about it just didn't click. I definitely liked the crafting system, despite the high cost of mats, but the chance to proc upgraded items always seemed like a really fun way of doing it. Like if you crafted a blue item in WoW and every now and then it would come out purple with upgraded stats. I wish more games would to it like Aion. I'll probably check out the 14 day trial at least.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    If this is anything like what they did for Lineage 2, this is actually really cool. It's a lot more palatable than how Sony or Turbine manages their F2P models. Lineage 2's F2P scheme is that they only sell "boost" type items, like leveling gear or bonus exp potions, and cosmetic stuff. Problem is that Lineage 2 is garbage. BUT, all of the content is available to everyone, which is pretty incredible and not at all like most freemium style games.

NCsoft used the "Truly Free to Play" language with Lineage 2 as well, so it sounds like they are planning a similar deal.

Scosglen on
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Try for a critical roll on crafting for your mastery quests or the whatever that one was for the end game pants. You get a little tired of failing repeatedly.

The game was nice looking, flight made PVP fights different. The game catered to people that figured out how to pvp early and min-max the characters. It also was rife with exploits and bots.

Not sure if I would go back, my chanter didn't reach the extended top level. No idea where the characters are, used to be on Nezekan. My kids liked the presentation and enjoyed playing characters until the low 20s. Then they would delete them and make something new.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
    edited February 2012
    So is this already F2P in Europe? I tried searching for it, but all I got was links to the US site announcing f2P soon.
    I wouldn't mind taking a look at Aion, I've always liked the art style but the forced PvP (no PvE servers) turned me off enough not to want to spend any actual money on the game.

Yeah, apparently it hasn't gone F2P there yet, despite it being announced ages ago.

I just noticed a story over on Massively that said the EU F2P is going live on the 28th so next week. You should be able to check it out then.
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/23/aion-europe-going-f2p-on-february-28th/

Since we don't have any real details on the US F2P conversion as of yet it's hard to say if they'll be the same system but I assume they will; why make them different?

EDIT: Actually it looks like Gameforge does Aion in the EU? Or something? Not NCSoft? So maybe it'll be a different F2P system?

Man I have no idea.

The Dude With Herpes on

Yeah, apparently it hasn't gone F2P there yet, despite it being announced ages ago.

I just noticed a story over on Massively that said the EU F2P is going live on the 28th so next week. You should be able to check it out then.
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/23/aion-europe-going-f2p-on-february-28th/

Since we don't have any real details on the US F2P conversion as of yet it's hard to say if they'll be the same system but I assume they will; why make them different?

EDIT: Actually it looks like Gameforge does Aion in the EU? Or something? Not NCSoft? So maybe it'll be a different F2P system?

Man I have no idea.

Yes, that's what I found: some company named Gameforge is taking over on the 28th and people with existing accounts will have to move their accounts over to them before that. I thought that was the info for the US though, which is why I was confused.
    I wonder if both EU and US will move over to GameForge at the same time? Does that mean that 14 day event is on now?
    They are not too clear with their information, are they? You know, I might just try their 14 day trial now, see what's happening with that.

edited February 2012
    Reading more into it, it looks like they're going to be different systems.

The EU system that will be run by Gameforge (doesn't look like NCSoft will have anything to do with Aion in the EU from the 28th on) will be a more "traditional" F2P with Starter/VIP/Premium type subs (i.e. limits on starter content, bonuses for previous subs via VIP, and buy-in to Premium for "everything", those names aren't what they use, just examples I'm using).

The US one will (from what I can gather at the moment) still be managed by NCSoft, will actually be completely free in all of its content, and will make its money via NCSoft store purchases for stuff. Currently you can buy outfit/weapon "skins", pets and account services like name changes and such. I guess they're banking on that being interesting enough to players to support the game. Maybe it will. I suspect we'll start seeing things like AP/XP boosts and what not for sale too so we'll see.

Here's more info on the EU F2P stuff: http://www.aionfreetoplay.com/website/free2play/

Here's more info on the US F2P stuff: http://truly-free.aiononline.com/truly-free/index.php

So yeah, different systems, different companies. Honestly I think we (the US) are getting the better deal. Maybe EU players can do some fancy footwork to set up US accounts? I don't know how strict NCSoft is on things like that.

EDIT: And I'm not seeing anything re: trial in EU, only for the US stuff. But since it's going "free" next week you could at least see the basic stuff via the EU game. Most of the real roadblocks of being free don't seem to kick in until you start doing PvPvE stuff and try to get that gear/content; which iirc starts at ~25 at the earliest.

EDIT2: Updated the OP to be more accurate.

The Dude With Herpes on

Thanks, Dude. It does look like us Europians are getting the lesser deal here. I suppose I could try to get in on the US side of things, my Guild Wars account was already set up as a US account to be able to play with some friends state-side. If not, there are plenty more fish in the f2P MMO sea.

edited February 2012
    If you have a master NCSoft account for Guild wars, and it's a US account I bet you won't have any problems adding an Aion account to it too.

EDIT: Just keep in mind there's no official date for the US F2P right now, just "spring" so that could be anytime until June really. Probably April I'd imagine but I'm pulling that out of my ass.

But if you want to dick around with it use your US Master account with NCSoft and setup a free Aion trial on it; that should get you a base account in Aion tied to your master account so when it goes free to play you should be able to just jump into the US servers with no hassle (except probably lag).

Alternately (or in addition), you could just dick around with the EU one next week and just see; as I said the core game up to when the transition from free to "premium" for the EU content is high enough that you should get a good feel of at least the PvE content of the game (spoiler: it's like a very pretty WoW style MMO. Combat IMO is pretty fun, but just like every MMO of the type, it depends on your tolerance for that sort of fedex/collectathon quests). PvP stuff is when it starts getting its own personality but that's higher level stuff.

The Dude With Herpes on

That's a good idea actually. I'll grab the US trial so I have an account there for if they'll let me in after it goes F2P, and I'll dick around a bit in the EU version with a new account with Gameforge when it goes live next week.

I'm one of those weirdos that actually loves WoW type questing, so I'll be happy enough with that side of things. it's the PvP I'm worried about. I tend to avoid it like the plague and roll on PvE servers wherever I can. I'm hoping to avoid it as much as possible in Aion to be honest and it's the main reason I never tried the game while it had a monthly sub.

edited February 2012
    You can avoid it, mostly. My understanding is they nerfed rifting pretty hard awhile back (it let higher levels pop into the leveling zones of the other faction and gank them), so that's not so much an issue anymore; but from what I gather most of the best gear at higher levels is gotten via PvP(vE) stuff, or at least gotten easier. There are plenty of PvE instances while leveling and at the cap(s) though, so it's not like once you get there there's only PvP stuff.

I never got that high, personally, but with the F2P I probably will eventually. I guess the PvP stuff is supposed to be fairly enjoyable either way, so it might be worth at least dorking around with when you get there or while you're leveling a little.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that the PvP is a mix of straight PvP and PvPvE which means that you're still doing PvE content in the PvP areas (Abyss and Baleuria and such), but are fighting the other faction for fortresses and stuff. But many servers are pretty lopsided faction wise (though transfers/merges/bonuses have helped it somewhat) so often depending on the time of day, one faction might just take the Abyss without any real PvP. Which is good and bad depending on your perspective. but yeah. that's higher level content.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    The defensive buffs in Heiron/Beluslan alternate each week.
    We will be running this event every other week, allowing for a repeating cycle of one week with the rifting event settings and one week without the rifting event settings.

During this rifting event, we’ll remove the defensive buffs in Heiron and Beluslan. The defensive buffs will remain in place in Eltnen and Morheim.

4efe575fea51ec35.png
    I downloaded the client and activated the Free Trial. I do seem to be on the US side, I couldn't even log in while the Launcher was set up for EU. Anyway, it seemed I was a bit hasty, since a few hours later they announced this:
    http://na.aiononline.com/rally-the-troops

From the 27th on there will be an extended trial, XP boosts, free armor for everyone and so on. there's stuff for new players, returning players and vets, so people who are interested might want to take a look at that.

Ah nice; they said they were doing that but I thought it would coincide with 3.0/F2P.

Kinda odd that the armor bonus is from subscribing when...they're going free. Maybe it's a bit further off than expected. "Spring" is still technically spring till June so...huh.

edited February 2012
    If anyone was wondering the armor you can get for paying for a month is the level 50 daevonian armor and you can only give it to one character per account.

EDIT: It may be the level 30 armor. There are mixed reports.

The Dude With Herpes on

The e-mail says 50 to your highest level so that would be Miragent/Fenris which is kind of funny but its not really that good anymore.

4efe575fea51ec35.png
    Yeah but for someone new/returning I imagine it's better than anything else they'll have ready access to at 50.

I don't intend on paying though for it particularly when we know it's going free so (relatively) soon though; but maybe others out there would?

I mean, you only get one peice of the daeva armors per character right? So that's something. Can it be used as a skin at least?

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I saw this, followed links, signed up, activated aion, saw the client it was downloading was for european servers, cancelled it, went through to see if I could switch it to american, can't see any option, gave up, came here and posted in the hope someone can help me.
    I'm not playing on the other side of the goddam world just because the people behind Aion can't look at a map.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited February 2012
    IIRC the US and EU clients are the same thing; as long as you're downloading it via the NCSoft launcher it should be "correct".

Check your NCSoft launcher settings (File > Settings > advanced tab) to see what your region is set to.

EDIT: It could just be some goofiness with the transition of the EU game to Gameforge. But just check those settings.

EDIT2: to clarify it shouldn't matter what region it says it is downloading for since they're the same. As long as you've got the regional settings to North America you should log into the right servers.

The Dude With Herpes on

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    It also got me to download a trial. If i play a trial is this going to automatically upgrade itself or will I have to sign up again? I don't want to have to download this thing twice. Thinking of just waiting a couple of days rather than jumping in early.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    I'm really confused.

If you had a previous paid account it will reactivate for this event tomorrow. Trials won't. When the game goes F2P (which is down the road a bit still) trials will presumably become full accounts. So yeah, if you didn't have a prior account that was paid and in good standing and just set up a trial, you'll still be able to play the trial, but it won't be the full game even with this event.

There is only one client so it doesn't matter there. There are not separate clients for trials and full accounts afaik. If it had you download the NCSoft launcher then install Aion it's the same client. I've never set up a trial account so I have no idea the process it takes you through.

The EU F2P conversion (Tuesday) is a totally different thing than the US 14 day reactivation that is starting tomorrow (Monday). It is kinda poorly timed on the companies side (NCSoft in the use, Gameforge taking over Aion in the EU) to schedule the events so close together, and I'm sure is confusing some people.

The US F2P stuff is still down the road and is a separate event from the reactivation for prior paid accounts that starts tomorrow. I imagine they're doing this as a last hurrah, to say "hey, remember us?" and to get a few more bucks if possible from subs prior to going F2P in the "spring", whenever that may be.

It's a little weird that Aion is all "resub now! New subs welcome!" and all this crap during the new event thing starting tomorrow, when they have announced they are going free to play. It makes the entire thing a bit confusing to me.

edited February 2012
    Yeah it is kinda silly; I think they just want a bit of extra money before it goes f2p because by their own admission paying players (as of now) aren't getting anything special when it goes F2P (in the US), so there's no advantage of subbing again unless you really just want to play again.

EDIT: And the Daeva armor.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited February 2012
    Yeah it is kinda silly; I think they just want a bit of extra money before it goes f2p because by their own admission paying players (as of now) aren't getting anything special when it goes F2P (in the US), so there's no advantage of subbing again unless you really just want to play again.

EDIT: And the Daeva armor.

If they were smart they'd lower the sub fee price down till the f2p comes out. I'd resub for like 6 bucks or something for a month or so till the f2p comes out and get my cleric up a bit higher.

Elimination on
    So who is playing later today now that the extended free trial is on and everyones subs are re-activated? Im probly gonna roll a new char on Vazeil if anyone wants to join me.

I'll probably hop on and dork around. I've got it all reinstalled and set up to go. Dunno that I'll put that much time into it; but iirc my pinkies are on Vaizel and my furbags are on Zikel

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    They apparently didn't turn old trail accounts into the new extended ones so I'll have to wait until March whatever or something.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2012
    Yeah reactivations have never included trials, only prior paid accounts in good standing. Thou given the whole f2p thing so soon im not sure why it would have hurt to just activate trials too.

EDIT: Oh misread that post. That's what I get for reading the forums on the ski lifts.

Yeah it's silly old trials aren't the new trials too. Hopefully they'll make all trials full accounts with F2P

The Dude With Herpes on

Not being automatically reactivated strikes again!

4efe575fea51ec35.png
    edited February 2012
    Dont forget free trials are now endless trials, and are up to level 40 (Which is only 15 levels below the cap.). But you have to make a new account to activate this if you are on a trial, for some reason.

Elimination on
    Apparently the high quality graphics engine still does not have AA and you can't force it via your graphics card. Awesome. :(

All that pretty lighting and shadows and such aren't so pretty with zomg jaggies.