As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] Cookie Brigade EAST 2012 - Bake Cookies, help Child's Play!

VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in PAX Archive
Current Events:

We're almost at the finish line! If you're intending to bake for PAX East, make sure to jump on the forums and let us know how it's going!

If you're still on the fence about helping out, we'd love for you to join! We need lots of people baking cookies, and lots of people running around handing out cookies and accepting donations to Child's Play!

Please head to http://cookie-brigade.com to sign up!

Cookie Brigade, PAX East 2012

cb.png

Greetings! If you were looking for information regarding becoming a part of the Cookie Brigade for PAX 2011 (or just want to know what it's all about) you came to the right place!

Stay tuned here for updates and information as it develops!

WHO WE ARE:

The Cookie Brigade is a ragtag group of Penny Arcade Forumers who have assembled since PAX 2007 to provide our fellow gamers with delicious baked goods! Cookies are baked by forumers, brought from afar by forumers, and distributed by forumers!

Starting in 2008, the Cookie Brigade began a mission to give these cookies in exchange for donations to Child's Play, the charity started by Mike and Jerry that provides entertainment to kids in children's hospitals. Since starting on this mission, the Cookie Brigade has raised over $44,000 completely from the handing out of cookies and the reception of donations from the incredible, amazing, and generous PAX community! Last PAX alone we raised over $14,000 for Child's Play! Woooooot! Thank you everyone for your generous donations, you have helped an awesome cause!

WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE?

Head to http://cookie-brigade.com/ for more information!

I WANT TO HELP IN THE BRIGADE!

If you're interested in

* Baking delicious cookies
* Distributing to people during PAX
* helping with Logistics

we can definitely use your help! Sign up at our website, http://cookie-brigade.com if you wish to participate in the planning, baking, and/or distributing!

An important note: due to certain external pressures on the Brigade, we have to keep some of our more sensitive planning operations private. If you sign up at the Cookie Brigade website, an Administrator will contact you if you're not a known or frequently posting member of the Forums so that we can verify your identity. Thank you for understanding!

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
VThornheart on

• TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    You mean East 2012 ;)

What exactly does cookie brigade do? Im interested in helping out.

8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    yeah I'm sure VT means East 2012.

@Trandescent http://www.cookie-brigade.com/

• Kiki_louKiki_lou Registered User regular
    I've signed up on the site! I hope to be able to make some cookies this year :)

• feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    I know I've been AWOL with the forums recently, but I do plan on doing more with the Brigade this year, likely helping out with baking and logistics or distribution.

• Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    My husband and I will be back to bake and distribute. I have some things to rack peoples minds about. We'll talk later.

5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    I'm excited to get started myself, I think I'm going to try and make fudge this year along with the hard candy. I'm also working on some brigade ops stuff for social media.

• ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    I'd love to help out again this time! Perhaps with distribution as well as bakin'.

UyhWici.png
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    I just want you all to know that I fully support what you are doing. I spent as much money last year on cookies as I did anything else, I think. Damn you for setting up shop in the BYOC, tempting me with all your cookie wares. (My waistline does NOT support you).

I want cookies.

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    You mean East 2012 ;)

What exactly does cookie brigade do? Im interested in helping out.

Hey there! The Cookie Brigade is our own little guerrilla fund raising group for Child's Play. Participants bake and/or hand out cookies to folks in lines or just walking around at PAX, then accepting a strictly optional donation. It has to be done in this way because the convention hall has their own food vendors and frowns upon anyone else "selling" food. So, our cookies and treats are free...hopefully followed up by a donation to Child's Play. All the money is handed over to one of the good folks in charge of the Brigade, and at the end of weekend, they present the money to our Child's Play liaison. This past PAX Prime, over fourteen thousand dollars were raised by the awesome West Coast Brigadiers, so we on the East Coast will be trying even harder this time around!

Sorry, everyone else, that I've been absent for a (long) while. Physical therapy has been taking up a LOT of my time. I'm pleased to report; however, that I'm walking better than ever! Now, even with the crutch canes! w00t!!

EDIT: Ugh...please ignore my sig banner...it REALLY needs updating.

EDIT 2: Oh hey, I forgot the first time around... Last year, my wife and I managed to raise an extra thousand dollars by working with Desert Bus. We made a "Cookie Brigade Holiday Platter," which basically contained six dozen awesome cookies. This platter was auctioned off during Desert Bus, and raised a nice little chunk of change. Unfortunately, this year, due to my wife working a new job and me being busy in physical therapy, we won't be able to do it again. If someone else (or multiple someones, working as a team to ease the burden...hint hint) would like to step up and do it this year, I'd be happy to get you connected to Kathleen over at Loading Ready Run. Thanks folks, can't wait to work with the Brigade again this year!

Facelesscog on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    Hey everyone! Aye, I meant 2012 *blush* =)

Facelesscog put it better than anyone could! You rock, and I'm glad to hear that you're doing well with the physical therapy, that's awesome!

Indeed, it's still a bit early in the season: but don't hesitate to sign up if you'd be interested in baking and distributing (we always need lots of both!)

• hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to all the fun coming up in the end of the year to the next year with cookie brigade and child's play. I just got my nintendo control, pacman, space invaders, and dinosaurs molds for candies and chocolates to donate. I promise this year I will only make the specialty cookies so they don't run out in less than an hours (sorry jammy dodgers and metroids). I would like to do something for the Desert Bus. Facelesscog I could do a platter to help out or more, just let me know. I send my cookies and goods all over the world and they make it and our enjoyed. I'm really happy to hear that your doing better, Facelesscog. I'm even this year making some things for the Child's Play Auction. See you all soon again.

Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I'm definitely in again this time around. Hopefully we will be even more successful than Prime!

AN9buWz.png
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    So, I signed up one week ago. I haven't received anything to allow me to sign up for the upcoming Pax East. Is there a back-log? Wanna make sure I don't miss anything :D

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • RedBerriesRedBerries Dragon Fister Historian HolbrookRegistered User regular
    I can do chocolate dice and cookies. I would love to help distribute.

ishtra wrote:
    So, I signed up one week ago. I haven't received anything to allow me to sign up for the upcoming Pax East. Is there a back-log? Wanna make sure I don't miss anything :D

Currently VT does the approvals for the site and I know he's been busy so you could try tossing him a PM here.

• ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    Prepare, Cookie Brigade! For I am going to eat all of your cookies. :B I don't know how many dollar bills I threw at Brigadiers last year, but it would make a more modest person blush.

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    Hey VT, FC, Rebecca and others! ::waves::

I will be participating again this year, of course! And I think I'll stick with my katamari cake balls. They've kind of become my "thing" at PAX. :) Might try to double the quantity this year from 8 dozen to 16 dozen, as last year they were all gone before I left the queue room at the start of PAX. :) Us gamers are hungry people!

Lmk if there's any other way I can help besides baking/distributing. <3

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
    Hey VT, FC, Rebecca and others! ::waves::

I will be participating again this year, of course! And I think I'll stick with my katamari cake balls. They've kind of become my "thing" at PAX. :) Might try to double the quantity this year from 8 dozen to 16 dozen, as last year they were all gone before I left the queue room at the start of PAX. :) Us gamers are hungry people!

Lmk if there's any other way I can help besides baking/distributing. <3

Yessssssss! They are SO GOOD you guys. Going to make sure I get one of these again this year.

Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    Propriety wrote:
    Yessssssss! They are SO GOOD you guys. Going to make sure I get one of these again this year.

awww, thanks propriety!! I will be sure to look out for you and your scarf and save you some good ones. :)

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    ransim wrote:
    Currently VT does the approvals for the site and I know he's been busy so you could try tossing him a PM here.

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    I have recently learned that cookie dough can apparently be pre-made and then frozen? This will completely change/enhance my cookie making for the next PAX!

I'd love to find a good gluten free recipe to make for PAX, too. The need for it seems to be becoming more commonplace nowadays.

UyhWici.png
    Propriety wrote:

awww, thanks propriety!! I will be sure to look out for you and your scarf and save you some good ones. :)

HOORAAAAY! I'll have a pin for you! :D

I wanna get a cookie from EVERY COOKIE BRIGADIER. Also I am probably going to make myself sick. BUT IT IS FOR THE CHILDREN.

• DaltonCarlDaltonCarl Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    ----

DaltonCarl on
  • rascalrascal Registered User regular
    I'd love to find a good gluten free recipe to make for PAX, too. The need for it seems to be becoming more commonplace nowadays.
    Rice Krispie treats!

This is my first PAX (tagging along with my brother who's been to 'em all), and the Cookie Brigade for Child's Play sounds great -- would love to help by baking cookies. If I do bring a couple of my children, I'm sure I could bribe them into at least a few minutes of helping with distribution -- they are expert at cajolery and fleet of foot.

• AprecheApreche Registered User regular
    I've done a lot of cookie eating. I think this time I am going to do some baking.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Hey All - we collected some of the recipies from PAX Prime 2011 and posted them here: http://www.feastygeeks.blogspot.com/p/cookie-brigade.html . There are some great gluten free recipes, and tips for bakers. FYI, I'm going to be HUNTING YOU DOWN if you have/had a great cookie recipe to get it and your permission to add it to the site. We need more recipes on the site and I won't post without permission, so if you've got delicious cookies, consider yourself warned!

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    I cant wait to be a cookie brigadier! I loved eating them last year. Woohoo!

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • LollerskateDJLollerskateDJ Registered User regular
    rascal wrote:
    Rice Krispie treats!

This is my first PAX (tagging along with my brother who's been to 'em all), and the Cookie Brigade for Child's Play sounds great -- would love to help by baking cookies. If I do bring a couple of my children, I'm sure I could bribe them into at least a few minutes of helping with distribution -- they are expert at cajolery and fleet of foot.

That's a great way to make money if you bring your kids because no one can say no to children selling cookies for charity. HERE HERE TAKE ALL MY MONIES. :p

PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Confirmed for East [X] Badges [X]Money
    PAX East 2012 Shape-a-thon--Team Twitter Spam [LITE] -- Thinspiration!
    OMG Follow me! @LollerskateDJ
    Hey guys! Sorry for the extreme delay again! I just moved across the country... I'm trying to get the backlog of life/Cookie Brigade tasks figured out now in the new year! I'm going to get this figured out over the weekend - including getting privileges to some of the veterans who've stepped forward expressing willingness to help! (Thanks guys, you rock! This year's been a bit crazy for me, so I can use all the help I can get!)

So anyways... let the Brigade preparations begin! Those of you who've signed up in the past month or two, you'll be getting confirmation PMs this weekend and/or registration confirmation E-Mails!

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    question.... do you guys ever have gluten free cookies?

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    SmallLady wrote:

I'm fairly certain the answer to this is yes. I seem to remember some people specifically doing gluten free at Prime 2011 and East 2011. I don't remember details though.

• KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Well, I'm in again! I'd like to do more of the organizational tasks (pre-Pax) and of course some baking. I was ok distributing, but I feel like I'm too shy. :) I'd love to put together packs of supplies that the distributors would need. When you get settled, let me know!

Ln5yLL7.png
  • ToasterFaerieToasterFaerie Registered User regular
    I'm new to this and would like to sign up to help with baking and distributing. I love making cookies and I have a bitch'n apron I never get to wear.

After a little Google research, I've signed up on http://www.cookie-brigade.com/. Is it possible you could edit your original post so there is clearer information for new people who want to get involved?

Live fast and prosper
    3DS: 0044-3334-2157
    Steam: 3amFriday
    Backloggery: ToasterFaerie
    SmallLady wrote:

There were several types of gluten free cookies at PAX East last year. I believe they went pretty fast though but there were a couple people on the brigade who can't have gluten.

Indeed, every year we seem to get a good number of them: hopefully the same will be true this year! =)

Indeed ToasterFaerie, I can update the OP to make it more clear. I know there's a couple sites out there - dead, old versions of our site that we never cleared for various reasons (including that we lost contact with people who could take them down and such). But indeed, you hit the right site: http://www.cookie-brigade.com is our true site!

I'll be catching up on registrations this weekend, so keep an eye out ToasterFaerie! I'll also be getting proper access for the helpful and awesome veterans who have messaged me expressing an interest in helping, so that there'll be multiple people to pick up the ball if (when :( ) I get busy again.

I havent yet been accepted as a brigadeer, but am excited. Ive been looking at recipes and am hopeful to make some! Do brigadeers donate all the money they buy materials with, or do they take a few dollars to compensate for the cost?

(not that donating a few dollars to kids is a bad thing)

edited January 2012
    MASeffect wrote:
    I havent yet been accepted as a brigadeer, but am excited. Ive been looking at recipes and am hopeful to make some! Do brigadeers donate all the money they buy materials with, or do they take a few dollars to compensate for the cost?

(DISCLAIMER: I am not a member of the cookie brigade, but I'm pretty darn sure what I'm saying here is correct)

ALL monies brought in are given directly to child's play. By signing up, you are donating your time and baked goods (and by proxy whatever materials it took to make said baked goods).

Keep in mind you won't be selling baked goods for child's play. You will be offering baked goods for free in hopes that someone might donate to child's play because of the awesomeness.

zerzhul on
    zerzhul wrote:
    (DISCLAIMER: I am not a member of the cookie brigade, but I'm pretty darn sure what I'm saying here is correct)

ALL monies brought in are given directly to child's play. By signing up, you are donating your time and baked goods (and by proxy whatever materials it took to make said baked goods).

Keep in mind you won't be selling baked goods for child's play. You will be offering baked goods for free in hopes that someone might donate to child's play because of the awesomeness.

Thanks for the info! I was just curious, if I had no $$$ limit I could make OVER 9,000 cookies!!! I suppose I shall have to ration myself a bit more to make sure I have money for goodies at PAX! Can't wait to start baking!

• hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    My group members that travel to pax prime with me donate time and some supplies each for the event. It makes it easier on my budget and time. Have a cookie brigade cookie cook off is fun!

Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]