As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SW:TOR] Healer Thread - "Kolto Missile" is a real thing.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Commando here, haven't been doing overmuch grouping to make use of my healing, but it is the best thing that combat support cell turns my death cannon into a medigun.

:edit: oh blah topped.

I AM FULLY CHARGED!

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm actually not sure how shooting someone is supposed to heal them... I mean, I know they're kolto or bacta or whatever, but it seems like the trauma caused by the shot would mitigate any healing done. And kolto missles? That's just silly. ;P

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    To be fair, it shoots some magic green beam instead of bullets when I go medigun on an ally.

No clue on the kolto missile.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • YogoYogo Registered User regular
    Missile is just a cover word for "Fricking huge needle" to prevent manly men from turning into pussies.

• eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    grouch993 wrote:
    eMoander wrote:
    One fun thing I found when healing last night on the sorc is that lightsaber attacks don't take force! So you can park yourself behind the boss and whack away in between heals without worrying that you are screwing yourself out of emergency heals later. No clue how useful this will be in a raid op though.

Only if the boss doesn't do any AOE. Otherwise you are moving occasionally, and trying to use Dark Infusion to heal all the DPS folks that went apeshit on separate damage sources. The first heal from level 10 is too expensive for the cast time and amount healed. (This is for the teens through 20s. Skills and abilities get better later on).

Yeah, that was why I said I wasn't sure how useful it will be in ops. I assume a decent number of them have cleaves/aoes/whatever. I just found it fun that you have a separate, resource-independent potential role in the fight. So there shouldn't be too many cases of just sitting around doing nothing in between heals and hopefully gives a little more variety over whack-a-mole.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Why did I just get an e-mail from amazon that the release date for TOR has been moved up to the 16th?

What is this I don't even.
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote:
    Why did I just get an e-mail from amazon that the release date for TOR has been moved up to the 16th?

Because the *ship date* has been moved up to the 16th, so that everyone (who picked a fast shipping option, anyway) can get a physical copy with an actual code before the cut-over from EGA to live on the 20th, and thereby have uninterrupted playing!

This is a good thing.

Anyone got an operative who has taken infiltration in the concealment tree? I'm wondering if that speed boost only applies to stealth or universal. Also if it stacks with sprint.

Thanks.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    From what I've been reading in random general chat, it sounds like a lot of people have chosen to go Sith Inquisitor, at least on my server. Is this true in other people's experience? And how many inquisitors are planning on going dps compared to healing?

I wanted to roll a healer so I went Inquisitor, but for some reason I really have a problem with playing a "fotm" class, which is why I never made a hunter in WoW.

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Yeah, Sith Inquisitor is definitely the Night Elf Hunter of SWTOR. I decided against being one for exactly that reason after meeting a few of these Sith "Inquisitards."

• baronfelbaronfel Would you say I have a _plethora_?Registered User regular
    So far I'm loving healing as an Operative! I like that there's a free channeled heal that procs Tactical Advantage, so there's never any lulls in combat for me :D Healing, and then fighting when I'm not grouping up, feels very active so far.

So my commando played at being an actual healer during some heroics on Taris. On the one hand, healing things is boring because I'm not shooting lasers at things, but on the other hand, ohgodohgod why is your health dropping so fast advanced medprobe medprobe medprobe.

• grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Well, I grouped with some people for a heroic 4+ last night where another SI/sorc just did dps. No healing at all.

I got to see a lot of "x was defeated" messages while traveling to the heroic area.

Doing the healing, I shield, dot, heal. Also, while soloing the shadow spawn boss, I did get in and use the free attack.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Yogo wrote:
    Missile is just a cover word for "Fricking huge needle" to prevent manly men from turning into pussies.

It's actually a suppository.

• cuellarcuellar Registered User regular
    Inquisitard healer all the way! I was going to do a juggernaut first, but after hearing how it is the crappiest tank class, I figure I'd level my healer first, then have my tank as an alt.

A side note - are the healer companions good at healing, or are they pretty retarded? I'd guess they'd suck for any dungeon, compared to adding a dps companion which just assists the tank in dps.

"Fuck newbies. They deserve it for not being high enough level to fight back." - TDL
  • KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    I love Mako as my healer as a BH. I've taken on elites with the right set of skills and kiting.

• SpenzkriegSpenzkrieg eh's a pretty cool guy Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Wanted to drop my bitch of the day:

Running Athiss was brutal. Ran it with 2 level 22 Vanguards and a level 20 Sentinel. I'll cut straight to the business:

People do not understand Line of Sight and how Area of Effect works.

cuellar wrote:
    Inquisitard healer all the way! I was going to do a juggernaut first, but after hearing how it is the crappiest tank class, I figure I'd level my healer first, then have my tank as an alt.

A side note - are the healer companions good at healing, or are they pretty retarded? I'd guess they'd suck for any dungeon, compared to adding a dps companion which just assists the tank in dps.

I've found Alara Dorne (Trooper) to be a pretty damned good healer. In fact, as my commando, I pretty much just equip my 2 damage cells and roll out from there and let my Dorne do the healing. I've found she's a little better than my experiences with Mako.

Spenzkrieg on
    RS: Eide
    RC: Ais
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    So I made a Scoundrel with the intention of being a healer. I ran through Esseles at level 10, and was decidedly unimpressed with my healing abilities. I only had one heal, it drained like 1/5 of my mana bar every time I used it, and I spent half the time pew-pewing with my laser when I wasn't frantically healing or trying to regen my energy bar.

Then I hit level 12, and I felt silly for thinking I wasn't going to be an awesome healer before. NOW I understand what they're going for.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I think everyone needs to remember (and maybe BW needs to make it more explicit) but the early flashpoints are designed and balanced around people not really being fantastic examples of their spec; they don't expect low-level scoundrels to be great healers, so by and large, the instance isn't designed to need a lot of healing.

You're supposed to grow into it more organically, with more and more actual healing ability matching more and more need as you pass through the teens and into the 20s.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Yeah, pre-16 it is simply a matter of "bring friends." Role isn't important.

OrokosPA.png
    Also remember; don't spam your heals. If you do, you run out of energy faster. Try to converse your energy within the 65% - 100% area which nets you maximum regeneration.

Been playing my operative for a bit and healing in group and I love every bit of it. The "unlimited" energy pool is great for healing in contrast to a fixed pool. Sure, a fixed pool might be able to spam heals faster without penalty, but I'm in for a long run which, ultimately in my opinion, is the sole purpose concerning boss fights.

Ability resource management is a fun trick yeah. Not sure how the others are, but Commando seems decently well off in that regard, there's the refill half your bar on a 2 minute cooldown, though I wouldn't be surprised if every class gets one of those, then if you grab the talent for discharging your combat support cell charges, that gives you 2 ammo back as well, plus removes the cooldown on the lower-cost advanced medical probe for the next 10 seconds. Worst case scenario you run a few global cooldowns shooting healing bullets for free to let your ammo regen (and also to build charges back up)

Worked well enough when I ran healer for Athiss.

• baronfelbaronfel Would you say I have a _plethora_?Registered User regular
    Yeah, I got some good multi-target healing practice running a Heroic 4 quest in Dromund Kass with a bunch of people that decided to draw aggro from everything. I learned to love that Operative skill that gives you extra energy back over three seconds, as well as the one that burns a Tactical Advantage for more passive energy regen. It really is all about spacing out the rights heals at the right time.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Doing hammer station, with me, my wife, and 2 friends she definitely had to heal. The tank and healer were both level 15 which didn't help, but still, she was definitely having to heal a lot. It's definitely a building process, because she only has a couple heals, and I basically had no tanking tools at that point other than being in soresu form.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    The OP is highly discouraging given that I've already committed to speccing for healing on my Mercenary main. :(

EH28YFo.jpg
  • PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    Yogo wrote:
    Anyone got an operative who has taken infiltration in the concealment tree? I'm wondering if that speed boost only applies to stealth or universal. Also if it stacks with sprint.

Thanks.

from what I've seen it seems like it doesn't help with sprint

I've had moments where I will be running in stealth with sprint on alongside another player with sprint on and they will slowly gain distance over time

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Really disappointing stuff about Trooper/Mercenary healing.

Hopefully that'll be properly tuned a bit better by the time I've leveled my Agent a bit and make a Trooper alt.

• SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I've been healing up to Athiss on my SI and it's been fine so far. I've really been enjoying the SI in pvp and pve. Been able to heal well and when needed DPS without problem in pvp and still put out decent dps in PVE (things arn't going slow) so I'm happy. Also that sprint skill... SO good in huttball. 8->

Sonork on
    PoolCue wrote:
    Yogo wrote:

Thanks.

from what I've seen it seems like it doesn't help with sprint

I've had moments where I will be running in stealth with sprint on alongside another player with sprint on and they will slowly gain distance over time

Yeah, I had noticed. However, the increased stealth level really is worth the talent if you wish to skip content and solo some heroic areas. Skip all the annoying mobs and go straight for the prize.

• NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Yeah, Sith Inquisitor is definitely the Night Elf Hunter of SWTOR. I decided against being one for exactly that reason after meeting a few of these Sith "Inquisitards."

On the other hand the advanced class gives the Inquisitor a nice safety valve since the doublebladed lightsaber assassin functions like a bug-zapper when it comes to "those people".

• VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    Jedi Sage with Seer Spec is one of the greatest things known to mankind. The rotation is pretty simple, rejuvenate, force armor, deliverance, benevolence if needed. keeps your resource high and able to multitask.

League of Legends:Varega
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    The upper hand mechanic (Tactical Advantage) is fantastic. As first I didn't know how to even heal as a smuggler and then I got it. I can now pop off a heal and either follow it with an energy regen or a free heal. I'm sure this gets better as I level up but even then. . .

Brilliant.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    How viable is Commando healing in Gunnery?

• TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    I did my first bit of Commando main healing on Athiss yesterday and was pretty surprised how well it went. I was a little over leveled, but even then I was almost always at full ammo and never had an oh shit moment. Speccing out kolto bomb/supercharge is the best thing. I pretty much just kept spamming medigun so the supercharge was ready. If the tank started to drop or the dps pulled agro id pop the bomb with the 10% heal/dmg reduction and go to town.

Up til then I had been going as dps/off heal and I wasnt sure how well it'd do as a main but now im satisfied.

sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I seem to be doing fine with a Sawbones Scoundrel. It's an interesting game of mana management and since tanks are still learning their respective classes (or not bothering to), I can see points where it's going to be unfun (heavy healing right off the bat on a bad pull then leads to low energy, low regen, death, rage, despair, etc...).

But it's definitely viable. I wouldn't run with a healer who wasn't fully spec'd into his heal tree, though. Scoundrels are basically worthless without full Sawbones from what I can see, and it's already a pretty tight game of who gets what heal in between spamming diagnostic and basic attacks in downtime. It'll be really interesting to see how it improves with post 30 gear (i.e. secondary stats, bigger health pools, etc.).

edited December 2011
    TK-42-1 wrote:
    I did my first bit of Commando main healing on Athiss yesterday and was pretty surprised how well it went. I was a little over leveled, but even then I was almost always at full ammo and never had an oh shit moment. Speccing out kolto bomb/supercharge is the best thing. I pretty much just kept spamming medigun so the supercharge was ready. If the tank started to drop or the dps pulled agro id pop the bomb with the 10% heal/dmg reduction and go to town.

Up til then I had been going as dps/off heal and I wasnt sure how well it'd do as a main but now im satisfied.

So you're CM through Kolto Bomb with the shoot-off 2 talent "Kolto residue" power? I've found that I'm great at healing in flashpoints which, of the ~28 hours I've put into my Commando, has taken up about maybe 4. I'd rather just kill things faster and still have the "oh shit, I better equip the TF2 Medic gun". Grav round looks brutal.

Supercharge Cell is available to all Commandos, right? I can't remember. Also, at 50, do we have enough points to attain Kolto Bomb while being full in the Gunnery tree?

Spenzkrieg on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I seem to be doing fine with a Sawbones Scoundrel. It's an interesting game of mana management and since tanks are still learning their respective classes (or not bothering to), I can see points where it's going to be unfun (heavy healing right off the bat on a bad pull then leads to low energy, low regen, death, rage, despair, etc...).

But it's definitely viable. I wouldn't run with a healer who wasn't fully spec'd into his heal tree, though. Scoundrels are basically worthless without full Sawbones from what I can see, and it's already a pretty tight game of who gets what heal in between spamming diagnostic and basic attacks in downtime. It'll be really interesting to see how it improves with post 30 gear (i.e. secondary stats, bigger health pools, etc.).

I agree with this. One thing I noticed was that my ability to heal skyrocketed with 2 points into the tree. When you have a 100% chance to get upper hand on using underworld medicine it really helps cut the energy cost of healing.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Okay, here's what I don't get. I just turned level 20, and I've put every talent point I have into the Sawbones tree.

Why would I ever use Kolto Pack? Underworld Medicine heals for more and recharges my Upper Hand. Kolto Pack heals less and consumes an Upper Hand charge, and does not recharge it. When I'm getting an extra 6% bonus to all my heals with Upper Hand active, why would I ever use Kolto Pack? I feel like the 0.5 second shorter cast time and 5 less energy cost does not make up for the downsides to using it. It should do a lot more for how much it affects my rotation.

Also, how awesome is it that healers get Rogue sap from WoW in this? Haha!

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Okay, here's what I don't get. I just turned level 20, and I've put every talent point I have into the Sawbones tree.

Why would I ever use Kolto Pack? Underworld Medicine heals for more and recharges my Upper Hand. Kolto Pack heals less and consumes an Upper Hand charge, and does not recharge it. When I'm getting an extra 6% bonus to all my heals with Upper Hand active, why would I ever use Kolto Pack? I feel like the 0.5 second shorter cast time and 5 less energy cost does not make up for the downsides to using it. It should do a lot more for how much it affects my rotation.

Also, how awesome is it that healers get Rogue sap from WoW in this? Haha!

If I'm not crazy Kolto pack casts a good bit quicker than UM. Later, you'll get a 3 point talent that gives your hot a 30% (I think) chance to refresh upper hand, so you'll be able to use it much more frequently without feeling like you're wasting upper hand.

And yeah, having Tranq and Slice Droid is fantastic.

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I would just like to say that the final boss in Hammer Station is a little rough for any healers pre-20. I felt really bad for the 3 groups I ran with. I'm a DPS merc and unless folks are paying attention, the AoE damage piles on. They may have put a less aoe happy boss in a flashpoint where a lot of the people running it haven't even gotten thier 20 AC talent.