As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

slideshow presentation software

SteevLSteevL What can I do for you?Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a co-worker who wants to make a slideshow of the pictures she has on her computer, complete with music. She'd like to be able to burn a presentation like that to a CD. Since I sort of have a reputation of being the "computer guy", she naturally asked me about programs for that kind of thing.

This is something I really don't know much about, so I figured I'd ask you guys about it. It'd have to be a program that's relatively easy to use for a novice PC user, and she also wants something relatively inexpensive.

Any suggestions? I just realized Powerpoint might meet her needs, but I like I said, I really don't know.

SteevL on

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    OpenOffice.org has a program that's powerpoint compatible and very similarly built, although it may be a little tricky to set that up, and I also don't know if it'd even be possible in that program...

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think this might be a project better done in movie making software then in something like PowerPoint.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm not trying to be "that guy"... But do you have access to a mac? I recently did exactly this, using the iLife package.

I'm a recent switcher, abut I was able to do this so easily without any manuals or instructions...

For the record, what exactly is it she wants? What I created was a DVD of my holiday pics, just throw it in and it goes through my pics with some music that we listened to alot while we were on the holiday. It's great.

I know that iPhoto does this sort of thing too, and may be able to burn it to a CD (if a DVD wasnt what you were after).

If this has been no help... The only thing I can suggest would be picassa... I'm not sure if it does what you need exactly, but its very close to iPhoto on a PC, so it might be worth a quick scan.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be "that guy"... But do you have access to a mac? I recently did exactly this, using the iLife package.

I'm a recent switcher, abut I was able to do this so easily without any manuals or instructions...

For the record, what exactly is it she wants? What I created was a DVD of my holiday pics, just throw it in and it goes through my pics with some music that we listened to alot while we were on the holiday. It's great.

I know that iPhoto does this sort of thing too, and may be able to burn it to a CD (if a DVD wasnt what you were after).

If this has been no help... The only thing I can suggest would be picassa... I'm not sure if it does what you need exactly, but its very close to iPhoto on a PC, so it might be worth a quick scan.

You pretty much summed up exactly what she wants, although I am pretty sure she doesn't want to spend the money to get a Mac. I might bring that up with her next time I see her, though -- maybe she knows someone with a Mac.

I'll also suggest Picasa.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I just remembered that she was looking through a "Roxio Easy Media Creator for Dummies" book yesterday. Anyone know anything about that Roxio program? It's probably out of her price range (she didn't specify a range, just "not expensive").

SteevL on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Im pretty sure you can just drag the photos into Windows Movie Maker and set them to music and whatever. Its dead easy and WMM comes with XP. The downside is that it probably isnt very efficient with the output being in some sort of video format. But you can burn it to cd right from WMM so its pretty user friendly.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yeah, gotta say this kind of thing is right up Mac's ally.

I was able to make an awesome slide show, with music, using Keynote, then burn it to DVD for those who wanted it, or save it as an mpeg for those that wanted that. It came out really well.

otherwise, I guess powerpoint might be able to do something similar.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    SteevL wrote: »
    I just remembered that she was looking through a "Roxio Easy Media Creator for Dummies" book yesterday. Anyone know anything about that Roxio program? It's probably out of her price range (she didn't specify a range, just "not expensive").

Yeah, the Media Creator suite will do it (it costs $100). It has an app called the "Slideshow Assistant" that makes it really easy. You can then burn it to disc, edit the resulting video, make a video file of it, etc.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?