As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Comic: Monday Dec 19, 2011 - Blurb

RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazedby the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
edited December 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-3hCgdzr-L.jpg
Today’s strip comes to us by way of Chuck Wojtkiewicz and Rocky Vanoost of Blur Studio, which is one of the most “hidden in plain sight” entities in existence. Any incredible game trailer you could care to name was probably done at Blur Studio, including that incredible Star Wars: The Old Republic one that launched a thousand pre-orders. They’re game trailers that could make you believe in Star Wars again, which is something of a feat at this late hour.

Thanks for everything.

Halfbrick regularly sports a sleek, compact booth at PAX, and I keep thinking I need to go over there and talk to them. Fruit Ninja was one of the first games my son really got into, and by Got Into I mean internalized it in a life altering way. I won’t lie; there was a lot of slashing. He was slashing it up for awhile. It got into everything.

Kids don’t understand concepts like “Intellectual Property,” let alone “Copyright Infringement.” What we think of as the domain of elseworlds, what-if fanfiction heresy is their normal mode of operation: all of their toys (or ideas) can play with each other, there’s no rule that says they can’t, and if there were such a rule it would be a stupid rule. They’re natural iconoclasts, and it’s really cool until they get around to your icons.

Anyway, Halfbrick’s Jetpack Joyride is free today. If I had to distill it, I would say that it’s like Canabalt had radical reconstructive surgery in order to work a deep cover assignment in a foreign genre. It’s one of those games where you sort of don’t understand how it could only be a dollar. Well, now it’s no dollars, and it’s even more confusing.

(CW)TB out.

8406wWN.png
Rankenphile on

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I can't say that this is what I really really wanted.

Especially since I am now reminded of that damn Spice Girls song.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    As was stated in the thread for the previous comic, strips about making strips are lame.

Also, I have no idea what this is even about. Is Green Helmet Guy supposed to be Luke Skywalker? Is Orange Power Armor Guy supposed to be Master Chief? Is that a panel where Luke is kicking MC in the junk? because I don't think I've ever wanted or even considered seeing that. If those aren't what is in this comic then I am at an absolute loss for what its even about.

• Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    It's not for me.

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    He's expecting Strogg, so he must be a Quake guy. But he's obviously a multiplayer CTF guy, so I dunno why he's waiting for Strogg.

However, I DO rather like seeing the X-Wing parked on that Quake CTF map.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    "Hey, you know what their audience likes? People getting kicked in the balls. Especially when getting kicked in the balls is the only punchline."

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Rock_117Rock_117 Registered User regular
    Hey y'all. Sorry you don't like the strip. Just trying to do my friend a favor while he was away on vacation. I'm sure you'll be returned to your regularly scheduled Penny Arcade programming on Wednesday.

Stay safe and enjoy whatever holiday you observe!

Rocky

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    The art is probably the best of all the guest strips so far, but the joke is pretty obscure.

I mean, I know that we're supposed to want to see the guy who is getting kicked in the balls get kicked in the balls, but I don't know who he is or why we want to see that. Quake seems like a good guess, I've just never played. Happy holidays as well though!

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I think it should be policy that everyone everywhere carry around a joke idea for a comic strip in their back pocket, so we never see a thinking about the joke joke ever again.

Now I want to share a poem with you:

Late sunday night
    the rain pouring down
    like my tears on this paper
    as I try to think of a poem
    I can't say that I have

Many experiences because
    I am in high school
    so what to draw on
    for inspiration

Oh wait what is this
    Free verse means
    something about not
    having to rhyme

this shit is easy
    give me my
    check

plus

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Really it's just the joke that I don't get. I see that Generic Space Marine getting kicked in the groin is the punchline, but the punchline to what? I'm not in a rage or upset or whatever, I just don't see the joke.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Rock_117 wrote:
    Hey y'all. Sorry you don't like the strip. Just trying to do my friend a favor while he was away on vacation. I'm sure you'll be returned to your regularly scheduled Penny Arcade programming on Wednesday.

Rocky

Ah, crap. Now I feel bad.

EDIT: Thank you for stepping in and helping deliver uninterrupted content, sorry I'm such a whiner.

DOUBLE EDIT: And the art was really impressive.

TRIPLE EDIT: I also like people getting kicked in the groin, I don't know who I was kidding.

QUADRUPLE EDIT: Except for your mom.

FIFTH...TUPLE EDIT: Now I'm right back at feeling bad again.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Rock_117 wrote:

Rocky

Ah, crap. Now I feel bad.

EDIT: Thank you for stepping in and helping deliver uninterrupted content, sorry I'm such a whiner.

DOUBLE EDIT: And the art was really impressive.

TRIPLE EDIT: I also like people getting kicked in the groin, I don't know who I was kidding.

QUADRUPLE EDIT: Except for your mom.

FIFTH...TUPLE EDIT: Now I'm right back at feeling bad again.

LOL

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Rock_117 wrote:

Rocky

If it makes you feel any better they're a gaggle of over-entitled fuckwits.

• Options
    foodlefoodle Registered User regular
    Wow. What an utterly lame guest strip. They are just getting worse and worse.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Good Art - but the strip itself was not for me, and somehow I didn't actually initially notice a guy getting kicked in the Junk was the last panel till a few looks later.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Rock_117 wrote:

Rocky

foodle wrote: »
    Wow. What an utterly lame guest strip. They are just getting worse and worse.

This was an excellent series of posts.

• Options
    OolongOolong Registered User regular
    The line to apologize to Scalzi forms over there.

• Options
    Piggy ChimpPiggy Chimp Registered User regular
    Such lovely artwork but moreover what polite characters. Lovely, lovely, lovely! Thank you!

J6ke3.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Goddamn it Rehab, why did you have to go and do all that shit!?
    Rock_117 wrote:

Rocky

People have been really bananas lately, ignore the haters.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    It may not be the best comic, but Blur Studio is flippin' awesome

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Henroid wrote:
    Goddamn it Rehab, why did you have to go and do all that shit!?
    Rock_117 wrote:

Rocky

People have been really bananas lately, ignore the haters.

It's all good. When you make art you have to be ready for people not liking stuff, and maybe some may even possibly say mean things. Especially when it's a case like this, where you are asked to do something you do not normally do for a VERY established audience. Making 3 panel humorous comics is a lot harder than Mike and Jerry make it seem to be. They have all my respect. If they ever ask me again, maybe I'll do a better job. :)

Rock_117 on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    A high-res version of the art would be pretty sweet to have. First panel sans word bubbles could make for a nice wallpaper.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    Rock_117 wrote:

Rocky

"over entitled"? This is a business, their product is the comic and we are the customers. We have a right to voice our opinions. We aren't friends, we aren't hanging out, this isn't a big family. Welcome to reality! Pretending to like it because they did Mike and Jerry a favor, is Mike and Jerry's job.

• Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    A high-res version of the art would be pretty sweet to have. First panel sans word bubbles could make for a nice wallpaper.

I'll see what I can get for you

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Rock_117 wrote:

Rocky

"over entitled"? This is a business, their product is the comic and we are the customers. We have a right to voice our opinions. We aren't friends, we aren't hanging out, this isn't a big family. Welcome to reality! Pretending to like it because they did Mike and Jerry a favor, is Mike and Jerry's job.

You're not paying for it. Stop with the sour grapes shit already.

• Options
    just_to_dis_youjust_to_dis_you Registered User new member
    edited December 2011
    Hey Rock, maybe you should do a comic about how much you hate Mondays! (ain't they the worst?)
    Also, did you ever think how funny it is that policemen like to eat doughnuts?

e: EVAR!

just_to_dis_you on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    Great art! I typically expect to not like guest strips both artistically and punchline-wise. The last one was funny and this one had good art. Therefore, the guest strips have been better on the whole than usual.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    I liked the art, but the speech was nigh-illegible.

• Options
    Rock_117 wrote:

Rocky

You're totally right, it is a business and you are completely free to voice your distaste.

The way I look at it is this. If you ever want to do anything or go anywhere in life, you are going to have to try new things, do things you have never done before. There is a good possibility you're going to fail a lot, maybe eventually you are going to do something good. However, the idea that people won't like something has never stopped me from trying to do something before. So when Mike and Jerry asked me to do this, and told me to just do whatever I want, I just sort of went for it. We through out a bunch of ideas, each of us didn't like a bunch of them. At the end we had to do a comic, and this is the one that got made.

If all of PA's loyal readers are not pleased, well I have failed in that respect then. Some people will like it, others won't and will say nice things, while still others won't like it and will say not so nice things. I'll take that feedback and apply it to something I do later. The point is I don't take that stuff as a shot to the ego or anything. At the very least, perhaps if I have failed you it will inspire you to go out and create your own piece of art to show the world how it should be done. That in itself, would be a victory for any artist. :)

• Options
    Rock_117 wrote:
    At the very least, perhaps if I have failed you it will inspire you to go out and create your own piece of art to show the world how it should be done. That in itself, would be a victory for any artist. :)

You're right!
    You have inspired me to go out right now and write Insane Clown Posse related phrases on the inside of bathroom stalls at my local truck stop!! It's my most artistic expression EVAR! ;)

• Options
    Rock_117 wrote:
    At the very least, perhaps if I have failed you it will inspire you to go out and create your own piece of art to show the world how it should be done. That in itself, would be a victory for any artist. :)

You're right!
    You have inspired me to go out right now and write Insane Clown Posse related phrases on the inside of bathroom stalls at my local truck stop!! It's my most artistic expression EVAR! ;)

I totally feel like I've done my part!

• Options
    Ignore that guy Rock, he's newly registered just to say all this crap.

You've taken this a lot better than most people would have, that's pretty cool.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I didn't mind it and space marines getting kicked in the balls is always funny.

Edit: In fairness, this level of bitching is still nowhere near the guest lookouts comic. Now that was one battle and a half.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Henroid wrote:
    Ignore that guy Rock, he's newly registered just to say all this crap.

You've taken this a lot better than most people would have, that's pretty cool.

I could be wrong, but that's probably someone I know who logged on just to troll me for fun ;)

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    This thread is going places.

Liked the art. The writing not so much, both because the meta "We need to write a 3 panel strip/But we have no ideas/Quick, a non sequitur punchline in the last panel!" has been done, and "evar" which just misses the mark (seriously, who talks like that?).

Still, a valiant effort in an uncomfortable format.

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote:
    I didn't mind it and space marines getting kicked in the balls is always funny.

Edit: In fairness, this level of bitching is still nowhere near the guest lookouts comic. Now that was one battle and a half.

Was it really? Man, I hate you guys.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Henroid wrote:
    For the moment, this is merely an experiment to see if I can write anything in a formal manner with as little emotional drive as possible.
    I wouldn't go pointing fingers, Sarte.

...and back to FYAD I go.

just_to_dis_you on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    while the art is nice enough, the punchline is nothing to write home about.
    the real tragedy is the nigh-unreadable font they used. I had to go over it multiple times leaning up to my monitor to understand it.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Rock_117 wrote:
    Rocky
    Thanks for the holiday wishes Rock, I'm typing them back at you with as much jollyness as I can cram into this keyboard. In regards to the comic, I liked the art, but it seems the entire joke was a bit of a dig at the fans of Penny Arcade.
    I don't believe that's what was intended, but to me it came across as "All they want is X-wing guy kicking Space Marine guy in the nuts, so why bother thinking up an actual joke?". I just want you to know that that's simply not true; we also appreciate fruit based bondage jokes, wang jokes, and jokes about how one MMO plays and/or looks much like another MMO. Heck, throw in some glowing green scorpions or clawshrimp and we'd be happy as clams.

That said, I don't get the hate that these boards have seen in regards to this string of guest comics. I mean, if you like it great. If you don't like it at least it'll show you how much you appreciate the normal comic (which is also a good thing).
    If you want to be a dick about stuff that you aren't asked to pay for, well, I guess this is the internet so at least you're in the right place.

It's also pretty cool that the artist popped in to say hello. Don't think we saw that from the other guest comic artists.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    We have a right to voice our opinions.

Actually, you don't. This is a free forum that we provide at no small expense. One of the conditions that we set in allowing you to post here is that you will not be an arsehole. You are currently failing to meet that condition.
    We aren't friends, we aren't hanging out,this isn't a big family.

One of the main purposes of this forum is for friends to hang out. If you were under the impression that it was created to allow you to take out all the frustrations of your failures in life on people who are unable to slap you around the head and tell you to pull your shit together allow me to enlighten you. It isn't.
    Welcome to reality!

Here's a reality check for you: we don't owe you anything. If you didn't like the comic, fine. That does not give you or anyone else the right to act like a petulant arsehole. If you have any plans to continue posting on these boards I would strongly recommend you adjust your fucking attitude because this is the most heavily moderated category on these boards and I've already dropped one person permanently tonight for acting the dick.

In case anyone is not clear, I will not be tolerating any further horseshit in this thread. You can say you do not like the comic, but you will not embarass me in front of our guests by acting like a bunch of 11 year olds who didn't get the toy they wanted for Christmas. You're lucky you get any toys at all.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Hey Rock, comic is fine.

Your trailers on the other hand? I realize it's an understatement but the ~12 minutes of cinematic footage in those trailers is better than all 3 SW prequels combined. You guys get it.