As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the wide spectrum of [Turn Based Tactics]. Currently taking your suggestions!

TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back inNebraskaRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Games and Technology
Me and my friends are making a turned based tactical RPG! Currently it's an on-paper pencils and dice project but we want to design the rules as a videogame in mind.
We're starting out by perusing the heavy hitters of the genre throughout the years and I am starting this thread to get some of your guys suggestions. Heres some guidelines to help you choose what to promote.

)Not ALL suggestions have to RPG based. I'm sure there's something to be learned from Steel Panthers as there is from Final Fantasy Tactics
)Not ALL suggestions have to be tactical for much the same reason. A system of statistics needs to be created and traditional RPGs are a great place for us to look
)Think of something you love about the design. Does it make battles less of a drawn out slog somehow? Did it do something special to make it easy to understand?
)Does it have an interesting and/or effective set of rules for a specific function or attribute of the game? For example, terrain and its advantages is something we want to consider

TIFunkalicious on

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    X-Com.

One of the all time greats. Brutal, clever, atmospheric.

And nasty. Even total badasses can die in one shot.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Fire Emblem does it better than the rest. Particularly when it comes to unit interaction and the multiple types of rock-paper-scissors that can be implemented.

Gladius (Lucasarts for the Gamecube and old Xbox) ain't too shabby either if you can find a copy nowadays. Terrain management is key until the very end and then it becomes a little ridiculously hard because a lot of the large enemies get insta-kill weapons, and that just ain't right.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    UFO:AI gets a nod for making me automatically use USMC tactics without realizing it.

edit: Nuts, they updated the engine!!! Must... stick... to .... winter... sales!!!

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I loved X-Com when I was younger even though I was no good at it. Great system of upgrading your guys outside of combat. When I look back I loved the gradual inclusion of extra powers in the psi dudes

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Jagged Alliance 2 is amazing and probably better than X-COM even.
    X-COM itself is absolutely great too.

Also, I pre-ordered "Xenonauts" (www.xenonauts.com) which is basically X-COM reimagined.
    It's still in a very very early Alpha, but the gameplay is there and I think it'll be great once it's fully released.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Fallout 1/2 are pretty good examples of fun pure turnbased play. Heavy reliance on stats and gear, allows for some pretty silly stuff. But Fallout Tactics also pretty much showed that you have to work on how long a turn takes, because that game bogged down like crazy.

I never really enjoyed Disgaea for much the same reason, because the 'best' way to play it is by taking forever each turn. (Moving your dudes in, do a single attack, cancel previous moves, do it again).

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    Gonna have to go with HeroQuest.

It was fast, easy to learn, everybody could play it, and fun. Game speed is huge, so many games take forever to complete turns.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    HeroQuest was pretty boss.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Are you just looking for recommendations of specific games to look at, or are you cool with recommendations on mechanics?

Turn order system: I prefer it more like Final Fantasy Tactics (everyone takes turns based on their speed, faster characters may eventually get more turns than others) than Fire Emblem (everyone on one side moves, then everyone on the other side moves). Not only do I feel like it's more realistic that some characters are likely to move faster than others, but I don't like the ganging up that is possible with Fire Emblem's style. You can really get screwed quickly if you don't pay close enough attention to where you're moving.

Permadeath: Please don't do it unless revival is also possible; i.e., FFT has permadeath but you have a chance to revive them within 3 turns. With permadeath the temptation is just too great to save and load until nobody dies. If you have your heart set on permadeath, making it meaningful and not a joke, you'll really need to program it the way Fire Emblem does it, saving before every action that happens and having a deterministic result.

Area targeting: I really enjoy games that let me hit a + sign shaped area or larger - Shining Force, FFT, etc. Nothing more fun than killing 5 guys at once who were dumb enough to stand close to each other.

Number of units: This is one area where FFT falls short, I think. I feel like I just have more fun with 10 party members on the field rather than 5. However, FFT is designed such that each unit has greater versatility so you don't need more members; everyone could be a healer and warrior, mage and thief, etc. If you allow for more characters, they should each have more specific uses. And for god's sake give dedicated healers a decent amount of XP!

Honestly I like Fire Emblem but a lot of what it does is just less fun than other SRPGs, in my opinion.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    I like AoE weapons/spells that always hit a certain way, in FFT you have to think about how to position your guys so they don't also get hit by the black mage's spell.

I like systems where terrain is important. FFT and similar games obviously have a height advantage, but games like X-COM or Jagged Alliance also have a cover advantage. Your dude can be behind a low wall and be half as likely to take a hit. Alternatively, your players can kneel or lay prone and thus be less exposed.

Destructable buildings/objects is cool. Again, X-COM or Silent Storm do the destructable buildings, and Tactics Ogre has objects like barrels that can hinder ranged shots.

I also like X-COM/JA 2's line-of-sight mechanic, but I don't think that's applicable to what you are doing.

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Mechanics are a great thing to talk about even if you have no particular game in mind, helps give us an idea of what to think about after the broad strokes like

'how do we determine success and failure'
    'how much does the players actions depend on dice rolls'
    'should/how do characters upgrade over time?'

etc.

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I think it might be interesting for you to play the original Tactics Ogre and then then recent PSP remake. They made some fairly drastic changes between the two and it might be worth taking a look at.

Also try any of the Disgaea games. That series always seems to make the most use out of map layouts and functions. In the same vein, Phantom Brave tried working with temporary units during battles.

Wild Arms XF tried to do some things with unit classes being more of a puzzle element and encouraged swapping classes often. It also did somethings with mission objectives beyond "Defeat all enemies" and "Protect this dude".

• Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    I liked the Langrisser series. The central gimmick was that you have permanent "commander" units (i.e. the heroes) and expendable "troop" units. Before each map, every commander hires a bunch of troops. (You have some choice as to what classes of troops to hire, but IIRC the class of the commander determines what classes of troops they can hire.) During battle, each commander exhibits a "zone of influence", and troops standing within that zone gain significant stat increases.

This makes the battles feel a bit more epic. It's not as cumbersome as it might seem; while it's true that you might have, say, 50 units to control, troops that aren't specifically ordered to move somewhere will automatically follow their commanders. So you can control each individual troop when you need to, but when you just want to move from point A to point B, you don't have to worry about it.

The series also uses the standard Fire Emblem-y leveling/promotion system, though the promotion trees are a bit more involved than in FE. (You can see the promotion trees for Langrisser 2 here; the way they work is that at each promotion, the character moves one column right on the tree, but can't move more than one row up or down.)