As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Smash Thread: Where’s my hog?!

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Speakeasy wrote: »
    Oh god hahahahaha

This is great stuff.

Also you win Xenogears!

Sweet, I win.

Interesting mechanics at work here. The bike is like throwing Cap's shield in the MvC games, but this other one is pure genius. I wonder if it starts out "fully charged"

Better yet... what visual cues will there be to the charged nature of the toot?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh god hahahahaha

This is great stuff.

Also you win Xenogears!

Sweet, I win.

Interesting mechanics at work here. The bike is like throwing Cap's shield in the MvC games, but this other one is pure genius. I wonder if it starts out "fully charged"

I'd assume it's like Donkey Kong's charge punch or Samus's charge blast. I cant wait to see what the charge and charged animations look like.

That does make more sense. I was imagining some move that charged on its own, which is a bit silly. Your explaination is probably right on the money.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Athenor wrote: »
    Oh god hahahahaha

This is great stuff.

Also you win Xenogears!

Sweet, I win.

Better yet... what visual cues will there be to the charged nature of the toot?

Probably his stomach getting fatter, ala first trailer.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I hope the bike functions as a melee weapon. Imagine hitting somone over the head with that.

BlueDestiny on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It looks more like Mario is carrying it like a crate. I don't know why you would want to do that though.

Zek on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    It looks more like Mario is carrying it like a crate. I don't know why you would want to do that though.
    Keep away from Wario? 8-)

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    To throw it at someone else's head, presumably.

WotanAnubis on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I believe people were saying that Wario's being on a bike was cinema and was the same reason that Samus losing her suit was just for the trailer.

That was actually a decent argument...until now.

I have to hand it to Sakurai, I never would have guessed this move. It sounds like something a fan made up.

Jimothy on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jimothy wrote: »
    I believe people were saying that Wario's being on a bike was cinema and was the same reason that Samus losing her suit was just for the trailer.

That was actually a decent argument...until now.

I have to hand it to Sakurai, I never would have guessed this move. It sounds like something a fan made up.

The whole game is something a fan made up!

A large team of highly highly talented fans. The secret ingredient in Smash is <3

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You know what I mean. Had I read anywhere else that Wario would be able to create a bike out of thin air, I would have written it off as some lame forum idea.

Jimothy on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You can't play jiggs the way I do without using the analog stick to jump.

As a Jigglypuff player myself, I cannot possibly fathom using the analog stick to jump. I guess it might work as long as you C-stick all of your aerials.

Speaking of which, I wonder if they'll limit the modes you can C-stick in again. I never got why they did that.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

As a Jigglypuff player myself, I cannot possibly fathom using the analog stick to jump. I guess it might work as long as you C-stick all of your aerials.

Speaking of which, I wonder if they'll limit the modes you can C-stick in again. I never got why they did that.

In what modes was it unavailable?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • areaarea Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

In what modes was it unavailable?

Everything in the single player menu, I believe.

area on
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So, is Wario going to be able to 'cute poot jump' then, like Samus and her bomb jumping?

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The motorcycle reminds me more of yoshi's rolling egg move, which is cool. I just hope that a charged fart will be useful for getting back when knocked off.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    The motorcycle reminds me more of yoshi's rolling egg move, which is cool. I just hope that a charged fart will be useful for getting back when knocked off.

But then what about his Up-B?

What seems more likely to me is that it only pushes him up if it hits something solid.

yalborap on
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Or it could be like Samus's bomb jump and Jigglypuff's punch, which when used correctly greatly slows down your falling and allows you to recover from great horizontal distances. Seeing as those moves are Down+B and Side+B, respectfully, it would make sense that the "poot" might be able to work in a similar way. How Wario would recover vertically (if at all, that's something DK and Yoshi were never good at) remains to be seen.

Also, now I know how a lot of drunken matches at my college are going to end up. FAAAAAAAAARTfartfartpootfartpootpootpootFAAAARRRRT...

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Nah, I'm guessing Wario has an up + B aerial recovery move too.

Very interesting, I never would have guessed Wario's motorcycle would actually be in... perhaps this leads credence to another oft-denied thing that's in the trailer? *cough**cough*Samusblowshersuitoffwithherfinalsmash*cough*

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Very interesting, I never would have guessed Wario's motorcycle would actually be in... perhaps this leads credence to another oft-denied thing that's in the trailer? *cough**cough*Samusblowshersuitoffwithherfinalsmash*cough*

God, I really hope not. Unless Sakurai does something really interesting, that would just reek of bad design. I mean, having to wait for one special item, which probably drops with the same frequency as the hammer, to play as a character?

If ZSS is the Sheik 2.0 that I think she might be, then Sheik players would be incensed.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I hope the bike functions as a melee weapon. Imagine hitting somone over the head with that.

BABF05.jpg

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Lookinf at the trailer, you can see which parts are CGI and which parts are in-game. Wario's motorcycle was in-game, but the armor blowing off looked more like a movie, so I wouldn't count on it, or at least, not like this.

Djiem on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

God, I really hope not. Unless Sakurai does something really interesting, that would just reek of bad design. I mean, having to wait for one special item, which probably drops with the same frequency as the hammer, to play as a character?

If ZSS is the Sheik 2.0 that I think she might be, then Sheik players would be incensed.

Damn straight.

yalborap on
    edited June 2007
    yalborap wrote: »

Damn straight.

And why would that prevent Shiek from being in there?

cloudeagle on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yalborap wrote: »

Damn straight.

And why would that prevent Shiek from being in there?
    The possibility that she's being, for all intents and purposes, replaced?

Elendil on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

They'll never do it because they know lots of people play without items.

bruin on
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    They could just allow you to hold A at the beginning of the match to start the battle as ZSS, but then you have to wonder if it would be possible to transform back (and which form would you be in after respawning?)

AshtonDragon on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    bruin wrote: »

And because they're not, you know, complete morons.

Taramoor on
    edited June 2007

Again, why would that tick off tournament players? I mean, is it really THAT hard to get good at two characters rather than one?

Then again, I like to play with multiple characters. I'm silly that way.

cloudeagle on
    edited June 2007

Again, why would that tick off tournament players? I mean, is it really THAT hard to get good at two characters rather than one?

The problem would be that it would be impossible to use Zero Suit Samus at all if items are off. Which is just silly.

AshtonDragon on
    edited June 2007

The problem would be that it would be impossible to use Zero Suit Samus at all if items are off. Which is just silly.

We don't know that.

And even if so, tournament players could turn smash balls on.

cloudeagle on
  • NovusNovus regular
    edited June 2007

We don't know that.

And even if so, tournament players could turn smash balls on.

Yeah but why should they have to? and what if (for whatever reason) you don't want to turn into zero suit samus? That would make the final smash a detrimental item. The idea is dumb; it's not going to happen.

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
    edited June 2007
    Really, I don't believe for a second that Samus' suit actually break off you when you use the smash ball. They simply needed a cool and stylish way to introduce ZSS in the trailer.

Djiem on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I can already see people banning Wario from games for his ability to conjure motorcycles.
    Well yeah, we all know how people are towards "items".

Hey, you know what? Fuck you.

I'm getting pretty sick and tired of people taking cheap shots at competitive players for no fucking reason. No one in this thread is giving casual players grief, so what the hell is your excuse for acting this way?

Speed Racer on
  • NovusNovus regular
    edited June 2007
    Personally I like samus as she was in the last two; the option to switch characters mid-play is interesting but I think it would take away from samus. What might be interesting is if the way to unlock zss is to use the final smash in the campaign mode; which would (the first time only) change samus into zss. As a persistent game mechanic I think it would be a bad idea.

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
    edited June 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I can already see people banning Wario from games for his ability to conjure motorcycles.
    Well yeah, we all know how people are towards "items".

Hey, you know what? Fuck you.

I'm getting pretty sick and tired of people taking cheap shots at competitive players for no fucking reason. No one in this thread is giving casual players grief, so what the hell is your excuse for acting this way?

Yeah, and it's not like anyone even banned Peach's turnips, and she has a decent chance to pull a ridiculously powerfull turnip, and bob-ombs for that matter.

AshtonDragon on
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Novus wrote: »
    Personally I like samus as she was in the last two; the option to switch characters mid-play is interesting but I think it would take away from samus. What might be interesting is if the way to unlock zss is to use the final smash in the campaign mode; which would (the first time only) change samus into zss. As a persistent game mechanic I think it would be a bad idea.

Thats the best theory I've heard. I think of characters like transformers. Can change into one character, and then back again. How lame would a transformer be if it went from robot to truck...but then never again.

If Samus and ZSS are the same, they will be interchangable. To borrow a quote, if they are the same and you can only go to ZSS in a match and not back, I'll eat my own cock

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    edited June 2007
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Novus wrote: »

Thats the best theory I've heard. I think of characters like transformers. Can change into one character, and then back again. How lame would a transformer be if it went from robot to truck...but then never again.

If Samus and ZSS are the same, they will be interchangable. To borrow a quote, if they are the same and you can only go to ZSS in a match and not back, I'll eat my own cock

I remember reading somewhere to not worry about going into ZSS mode because you can play Samus again. Or something to that effect.

Djiem on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Also remember that the last official thing said about ZSS was quite some time ago. It's wholly possible that they've changed their minds since then.

Speed Racer on
  • InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Also remember that the last official thing said about ZSS was quite some time ago. It's wholly possible that they've changed their minds since then.

This thought just now came to me.
    What if that blast in the cinematic ISN'T her super smash.
    What if she is just "overloading" her normal b attack.
    In the cinematic as she's doing the blast, she never has that fiery aura the other three get.
    So maybe it possible at any time to just "overload" your be move and then you can turn into ZSS,
    and then itll be like losing the girl iceclimber, you'll have to die to get the suit back.
    Has anyone else thought of this or am I the first?

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
    edited June 2007

This thought just now came to me.
    What if that blast in the cinematic ISN'T her super smash.
    What if she is just "overloading" her normal b attack.
    In the cinematic as she's doing the blast, she never has that fiery aura the other three get.
    So maybe it possible at any time to just "overload" your be move and then you can turn into ZSS,
    and then itll be like losing the girl iceclimber, you'll have to die to get the suit back.
    Has anyone else thought of this or am I the first?

That's... actually not that crazy. However, I hope that instead, you can get back your suit, with some process. Maybe charging up and if you're uninterrupted you get a new suit? You could get a new suit in ZM.

Djiem on