As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[East] PAX East 2012 Costumes

• Options
    Icarus027Icarus027 Registered User regular
    I'll be rocking the Captain Reynolds costume I put together for Halloween this year. And before anyone asks, yes, it is awesome.

Trust me, I'm (almost) a doctor.
  • Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Icarus027 wrote:
    I'll be rocking the Captain Reynolds costume I put together for Halloween this year. And before anyone asks, yes, it is awesome.
    Win! I must find you and get pics. Next to Halo and Mass Effect, Firefly is my life!

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    MoociferMoocifer Artsy Broad Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately..

I may or may not be going as Marceline. The Vampire Queen.

Or Daria Morgendorfer. Haven't decided. Basically.. something simple. With the exception of the potential axe guitar. We shall see.

PAX East 2014!!!1!one
    3 Day Pass: [x] // Travel: [ x] // Time Off: [ x] // Hotel: [x]
    Twitter: @amysophie
    Twitter: amysophie
    Gamertag/Steam: Vixen Valentine
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    Moocifer wrote:
    Or Daria Morgendorfer. Haven't decided. Basically.. something simple. With the exception of the potential axe guitar. We shall see.

THIS MUST HAPPEN. Seriously, if I see Daria with Jane, Quinn, or any other characters, I will squee in a very public place.

• Options
    JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    Maybe I'll actually finish my Star Trek TOS costume. I still need pants

• Options
    MoociferMoocifer Artsy Broad Registered User regular
    Moocifer wrote:

THIS MUST HAPPEN. Seriously, if I see Daria with Jane, Quinn, or any other characters, I will squee in a very public place.

If only I could get my boyfriend to maintain a soul patch for the weekend....

PAX East 2014!!!1!one
    3 Day Pass: [x] // Travel: [ x] // Time Off: [ x] // Hotel: [x]
    Twitter: @amysophie
    Twitter: amysophie
    Gamertag/Steam: Vixen Valentine
  • Options
    mikcymikcy Registered User new member
    First timer here. D: I plan on being Jack from Mass Effect (2 or 3?) and Morrigan from Dragon Age: Origins. That's it for now... Maybe an alt costume of Bayonetta or something small.

PAX East 2012
    3 Day Pass: [x] ► Travel: [ ] ► Hotel: [ ]
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    So I've run into a problem in constructing my Megaman costume: it is IMPOSSIBLE to find inexpensive full face helmets in the right style. My friend and I found some snowboarding/motocross helmets in a variety store for $25, but he decided to hold off since they weren't quite the right style and he figured he could do better on eBay (we're both really, really poor -- 20something recent graduates with part-time jobs). Boy were we wrong!

Anybody have any suggestions on what to do? We'd REALLY prefer to spend less than $30 on each helmet (he's doing Protoman), especially since we're going to have to paint, mod, and abuse them to high heaven.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    kid_nyckid_nyc Registered User regular
    Anybody have any suggestions on what to do? We'd REALLY prefer to spend less than $30 on each helmet (he's doing Protoman), especially since we're going to have to paint, mod, and abuse them to high heaven.

well, right now it is the month for sales. look around in your local sports stores and see if they have any holiday deals.

also, and this may not give you enough times, but usually stores have end of season sales to try to get rid of the previous years equipment. i guess that usually begins around march for winter equipment, which doesn't really give you a lot of time.

good luck!

also, it's awesome that people are going to cosplay as characters from other media besides video games. i remember last year there was some to-do about people dressed as non-video game characters. but who cares! a con is a con! let's just have fun!

• Options
    mikcy wrote:
    First timer here. D: I plan on being Jack from Mass Effect (2 or 3?) and Morrigan from Dragon Age: Origins. That's it for now... Maybe an alt costume of Bayonetta or something small.
    Oh if you do Jack(from ME2) I have so got to get a pic with you. will you do the "tats" as paint or temps somehow? Will it be just them and the harness, like her original outfit? Or will it be the alternate one for getting her loyalty? I imagine the alt one would be easier to put together not to mention only your arms would need the "tats".

Update on my Cosplays:
    Spartan Flight suit: [complete]
    Mass Effect2 Alliance crew uniform; [complete]

Sadly my ME1 Normandy Crew uniform has hit a snag and the original one piece suit I was going to mod has been scrapped. Now I gotta go find each individual piece for not too expensive prices. Ei-chi-wa-wa... The things I do for geek points.
    :)

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    cyntheticcynthetic Registered User regular
    If I didn't think that I was the kind of person who should not be wearing this kind of costume, I would totally do the outfit from the PA strip about American McGee's Rainbow Bright. Because A. I LOVE Rainbow Bright, and B. It would be hilarious. Unfortunately, were I to don such an outfit, the only thing that would be hilarious is my thighs.

• Options
    Moocifer wrote:
    Moocifer wrote:

If only I could get my boyfriend to maintain a soul patch for the weekend....

Your boyfriend would be a dick if he didn't at least do it for one day, in which case you can invoke Wheaton's Law on him, and then he'd have to in order to follow the rules of PAX. #legaladviceontheinternet

• Options
    riathewolfriathewolf Registered User regular
    Quick question to those who have been to PAX before. I've been noticing in the thread people considering cosplays that arn't actually video game or gaming related. Is this common? I didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb if I now decided to bring something too that wasn't exactly gaming related so I thought I'd ask.

• Options
    i think as long as its recognizable to the gaming community you're safe. ie. Movie, TV shows, Anime, ect, that are are popular in the Geek/gaming culture. ;)
    Hope that helps!

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    ShilohShiloh Registered User regular
    So I've run into a problem in constructing my Megaman costume: it is IMPOSSIBLE to find inexpensive full face helmets in the right style. My friend and I found some snowboarding/motocross helmets in a variety store for $25, but he decided to hold off since they weren't quite the right style and he figured he could do better on eBay (we're both really, really poor -- 20something recent graduates with part-time jobs). Boy were we wrong!

have you looked at the possibility of using a pep file for the helmets... that might be the way to go in your case.

Be excellent to each other!
  • Options
    RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    i think as long as its recognizable to the gaming community you're safe. ie. Movie, TV shows, Anime, ect, that are are popular in the Geek/gaming culture. ;)
    Hope that helps!

This. This is truth. I saw a fabulous amount of Finns from Adventure Time last PAX as well as a handful of Dr. Horribles and Captain Hammers. The important part is that you're dressing up as something you want to. Whatever you want to dress up as, I say go for it!

• Options
    jester44jester44 Registered User regular
    I'm thinking I might wear my Protoman costume I made last year. Though there didn't seem to be a lot of cosplay last year, so I'm kind of on the fence. At the very least, I'll probably wear it to their concert (assuming they play again)

As far as the weapon policy goes, I'm assuming a fake gatling gun would be OK right? It seems other people have cosplayed Mega Man/Protoman to East & Prime, and it's not the sort of thing that would be mistaken for an actual gun.

• Options
    ChazzonChazzon Registered User regular
    I'm still not sure what I want to be..Haha I was planning to do a Metal gear for prime. But I'm hitting east up instead...So my deadline to have it ready was cut by half a year..haha. So I'lll prob do something stupid easy.

• Options
    ChazzonChazzon Registered User regular
    Question. What would be a good...Replacement for Ryu Hayabusa's Hat/helmet/faceguard? I feel confident I can make the leather/armor. But I don't feel confident about the hat...

• Options
    BumblebeeRecycledBumblebeeRecycled Registered User new member
    I'm attending PAX for the first time, I'm making a GIANT Boxing BOT (like Real Steel/Rockem-Sockem)...may be bringing a second Bot as well, any other BIG costume people out there ? I'll be about 8'. Some of you may have seen my work at NYCC...9' and 8' Bumblebee, 10'6" Amp suit from Avatar.
    Hear good things about PAX...

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    jester44 wrote:
    I'm thinking I might wear my Protoman costume I made last year. Though there didn't seem to be a lot of cosplay last year, so I'm kind of on the fence. At the very least, I'll probably wear it to their concert (assuming they play again)

As far as the weapon policy goes, I'm assuming a fake gatling gun would be OK right? It seems other people have cosplayed Mega Man/Protoman to East & Prime, and it's not the sort of thing that would be mistaken for an actual gun.

Yup a prop arm cannon is totally fine. If you build it out of the same gun the band uses (an Airzone Punisher) just be sure that it can't fire. You can leave the spinning mechanism in though for maximum awesome. Just move the wires from the trigger to inside the gun to activate it. :D

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    I now have the fabric for the Medic's coat, the material for his belt, a pattern for the jacket, gloves, glasses, boots, parts for the Medigun, a box for the backpack, and a half-completed Blutsauger. Maybe I'll post pictures when I have anything to show off. Hopefully the coat will be done by Christmas or so.

I never lose, I just win sideways.
  • Options
    jester44jester44 Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote:
    jester44 wrote:

Yup a prop arm cannon is totally fine. If you build it out of the same gun the band uses (an Airzone Punisher) just be sure that it can't fire. You can leave the spinning mechanism in though for maximum awesome. Just move the wires from the trigger to inside the gun to activate it. :D

Awesome, thanks! And I actually built mine from scratch out of PVC piping and such, so that won't be an issue...but damn, I totally would have built mine from that if I had know about it haha.

• Options
    XerlithXerlith Registered User regular
    I'm attending PAX for the first time, I'm making a GIANT Boxing BOT (like Real Steel/Rockem-Sockem)...may be bringing a second Bot as well, any other BIG costume people out there ? I'll be about 8'. Some of you may have seen my work at NYCC...9' and 8' Bumblebee, 10'6" Amp suit from Avatar.
    Hear good things about PAX...

That is awesome. I mean, I really can't convey my excitement via text. If you're there in one of those costumes, I'll be the guy that starts gibbering and foaming at the mouth and then tries to find a way to hug some part of you around the metal.

You vant to cross, maybe?
    SoulSilver: 5200 4466 6956
    Black: 1721 2788 2039
    PAX East 2014 Checklist: Passes Purchased [X] Passes Received [ ] Transportation [ ] Hotel Reservation [X]
  • Options
    Cosplayer NationCosplayer Nation Registered User regular
    Cosplayer Nation: The Documentary LOOKS FORWARD to attending PAX East again, especially after our many interviews last year covering this convention from Asari Commandos to G4 to League of Legends.

Here's our latest release from PAX East (2011):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apbnQv305v4

Cosplayer Nation: A Nationwide Documentarian project on American Cosplayers

CRUSADE THE NATION: http://www.youtube.com/CosplayerNationTV
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cosplay.nation
    Email: cosplayernation (at) gmail.com
  • Options
    Update on the AngryBird:

So I discovered upon my purchase of a stuffed Yellowbird that the majority of the Yellowbird model is not, in fact, a triangular prism, but a cone. This may mean that my costume is, in fact, simpler than I was trying to make it.

So really all I need are the height of the costume and the diameter of the base. Of course, with the base being a hoop, I'd need to find a fairly massive hula hoop. Hmmmmm.

• Options
    TangoTango Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    TOGSolid wrote:
    jester44 wrote:

Yup a prop arm cannon is totally fine.

Confirm that. Megaman and Protoman arm cannons are fine, because nobody in their right mind is going to mistake them for a real firearm (unless you rip the cannon out of an A-10 for the costume, but good luck with that.. ;) ) Just make sure that if whatever you pick was ever capable of firing any sort of projectile (foam darts, etc) that it's modified so that this is impossible.

And one more general reminder: light foam swords/hammers/etc. are okay, because they're harmless, and modified Nerf guns THAT HAVE BEEN RENDERED INOPERATIVE* are okay, though you should expect to have those checked semi-frequently by Enforcers.

* - One does this by removing the action/"working parts" inside the gun so that it is incapable of firing. Permanently blocking the barrel is also acceptable, but removing the action would be my tip, because it's reversible; after PAX, you can just put it back again and your modified Nerf gun still works.

Tango on
  • Options
    Update on the AngryBird:

So I discovered upon my purchase of a stuffed Yellowbird that the majority of the Yellowbird model is not, in fact, a triangular prism, but a cone. This may mean that my costume is, in fact, simpler than I was trying to make it.

So really all I need are the height of the costume and the diameter of the base. Of course, with the base being a hoop, I'd need to find a fairly massive hula hoop. Hmmmmm.
    What about thin pvc from Home Depot or such? You could get some thin enough to bend into a hoop, or a thicker wire that could do the same?

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    ok so my cosplay has changed. i wanted something that looked more like a costume instead of something that most people may not even recognize as cosplay, so i decided instead of captain jack im gonna try and go as the master from the lookouts. or atleast SOME master from the lookouts. i dont look alot like the one in the strip lol

7US7VWW.png
  • Options
    KryptonianScionKryptonianScion Registered User new member
    I put together a pretty rad Finn from Adventure Time costume for Halloween this year, but it didn't see much action due to bad weather in the northeast. To make myself feel better about the limited use I got for my effort, I'll be wearing the costume to East for at least one day.

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Update on the AngryBird:

What about thin pvc from Home Depot or such? You could get some thin enough to bend into a hoop, or a thicker wire that could do the same?

ooh, or check out hoop skirts on ebay and modify as needed. just make sure you're getting one with boning/wiring and not just the slip or petticoat that goes over.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    wow sup i heard you liked helmets and gun arms?

huge thanks to my best bro Pattern Walker for doing like

75% of the work here haha and letting me use his workbench

tumblr_lwxr3oAwvI1qe6ohbo1_500.png

tumblr_lwxr5jfc9l1qe6ohbo1_500.png

ultimately doing a different outfit but hey

now some closeups:

helmetpixmostly020.jpg
    helmetpixmostly021.jpg
    helmetpixmostly022.jpg
    helmetpixmostly023.jpg

so... I'm not so pleased with the way the crest, bumpers, and visor came out? But on the other hand, I had only about four days to do this in (since that was all the time I had access to my friend's workshop) and I think for that, it turned out okay. It's recognizable, anyway.

SO. LEFT TO DO:
    * Finish gun (friend is doing that)
    * get armor pieces (friend is also doing that)
    * make vests (this is on me)
    * get pants and a utility belt (also on me)
    * boots???

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    Nice job so far

• Options
    aikoeaikoe Registered User regular
    Lost my Impa, but that's not stopping me from cosplaying Sheik solo. The Chrono Trigger group is still go. I'd love to meet up with anyone cosplaying Link/Zelda/Ganon/Frog/Magus/other appropriately relevant costume. :D

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    NEED TWO ROOMS IN THE WESTIN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! Please PM me!
  • Options
    TrustTrust Registered User regular
    I'm looking at coming as a treat to myself for my birthday, and I'm tempted to throw together an 11th Doctor costume. I'm guessing we'll probably see a lot of those though? Anyone else UK based going with costume plans?

We Stand Ready
  • Options
    ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    ok i need some help. this is the costume im going for.

costume.png

now ive found boots and gloves that match fairly well, but i cant find a shirt or vest (i'm assuming that he is wearing a leather vest over a shirt) that match the color of his. i feel its important that the top be a lighter ,more reddish, brown then the boots and gloves which are a dark brown.

anyone have any ideas where i can get a vest or shirt in a reddish brown color?

any other helpful thoughts are also appreciated since this is my first cosplay.

7US7VWW.png
  • Options
    Harlequin ShadowlandsHarlequin Shadowlands Registered User regular
    Being a RL goth and pagan wizard I get to roll out in my good Victorian threads at PAX East, this is more or less what I will look like. This pic from The Grand Masquerade this past Sept in NOLA.

295980_301886803160661_100000180327086_1370115_352673970_n.jpg

-Harlequin
    Admin of World of Darkness News
    News, Community site for the WoD MMORPG
  • Options
    ok i need some help.

now ive found boots and gloves that match fairly well, but i cant find a shirt or vest (i'm assuming that he is wearing a leather vest over a shirt) that match the color of his. i feel its important that the top be a lighter ,more reddish, brown then the boots and gloves which are a dark brown.

anyone have any ideas where i can get a vest or shirt in a reddish brown color?

any other helpful thoughts are also appreciated since this is my first cosplay.
    As for finding the shirt/vest. Have you tried any RenGarb sites? They usually have good things at reasonabblr prices. My shop/site of choice is The Tudor Shop, plenty of selection and decent-ish prices.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    IluIlu Registered User new member
    aikoe wrote:
    Lost my Impa, but that's not stopping me from cosplaying Sheik solo. The Chrono Trigger group is still go. I'd love to meet up with anyone cosplaying Link/Zelda/Ganon/Frog/Magus/other appropriately relevant costume. :D
    I've been trying to decide on going as either Bunny Link from A Link to the Past or Zelda, but if you're gonna be Sheik I'd love to join you as Zelda.

• Options
    aikoeaikoe Registered User regular
    Ilu wrote:
    aikoe wrote:
    I've been trying to decide on going as either Bunny Link from A Link to the Past or Zelda, but if you're gonna be Sheik I'd love to join you as Zelda.

That would be awesome, but you shouldn't plan your cosplay around me! I'm going to be a whirlwind that weekend, especially on Saturday (when I'm wearing Sheik), so the most I'd be able to meet up and hang out with people would be either while I'm in line for something, or between events for maybe an hour tops. But if you do come as Zelda, we should absolutely get together and take pictures at the very least.

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    NEED TWO ROOMS IN THE WESTIN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! Please PM me!