As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Comic: Monday Dec 19, 2011 - Blurb

• Rock_117Rock_117 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote:
    Rock_117 wrote:
    Hey y'all. Sorry you don't like the strip. Just trying to do my friend a favor while he was away on vacation. I'm sure you'll be returned to your regularly scheduled Penny Arcade programming on Wednesday.
    Stay safe and enjoy whatever holiday you observe!
    Rocky
    Thanks for the holiday wishes Rock, I'm typing them back at you with as much jollyness as I can cram into this keyboard. In regards to the comic, I liked the art, but it seems the entire joke was a bit of a dig at the fans of Penny Arcade.
    I don't believe that's what was intended, but to me it came across as "All they want is X-wing guy kicking Space Marine guy in the nuts, so why bother thinking up an actual joke?". I just want you to know that that's simply not true; we also appreciate fruit based bondage jokes, wang jokes, and jokes about how one MMO plays and/or looks much like another MMO. Heck, throw in some glowing green scorpions or clawshrimp and we'd be happy as clams.

That said, I don't get the hate that these boards have seen in regards to this string of guest comics. I mean, if you like it great. If you don't like it at least it'll show you how much you appreciate the normal comic (which is also a good thing).
    If you want to be a dick about stuff that you aren't asked to pay for, well, I guess this is the internet so at least you're in the right place.

It's also pretty cool that the artist popped in to say hello. Don't think we saw that from the other guest comic artists.

Hey man, yeah it totally wasn't a dig on PA fans. I've been reading the comic since 99' myself. I said it before and I'll say it again, writing these things is hard :)

The writing process went something like this:

Dude 1: I had this idea...
    Dude 2: Eh, too preachy, how about...
    Dude 1: Ugh, that's a really cheap laugh. What about...
    Dude 2: That might offend group A
    Dude 1: Aw crap we're out of time...

I realize that end result was a little bit of a cop out, but it is what it is. In retrospect, I'll never let the word EVAR be used again, and hand written type is for the birds. Jerry even encouraged it to be hand written, but I think he just likes seeing things "written".

That being said, thanks for all the kind words and the constructive criticisms. Definitely going back to the animation table, since it is what I do best for now. :)

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Honestly Rocky, it probably would have been better received if the same joke weren't done on Friday. It was just unfortunate timing, really! The art is primo, though :^:

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    positive thing to say: yeah, the art is awesome.

i'm particularly enjoying the well-rendered X-Wing. that's better than some of the Dark Horse stuff.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    Ed321 wrote:
    I liked the art, but the speech was nigh-illegible.

Same here. Maybe I've gotten too used to computer fonts, and hand-lettering is so rare that it is swiftly becoming "all Greek to me."

checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Blur Studios looks like a cool place. Are you guys required to wear that stuff? It looks uncomfy.

jCyyTSo.png
    edited December 2011
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Blur Studios looks like a cool place. Are you guys required to wear that stuff? It looks uncomfy.

Yeah, it's totally company policy. :)

Seriously though, I build screen accurate props in my spare time and I do have a full X-wing flight suit set up that I built.

Rock_117 on
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Rock_117 wrote:
    Hey y'all. Sorry you don't like the strip. Just trying to do my friend a favor while he was away on vacation. I'm sure you'll be returned to your regularly scheduled Penny Arcade programming on Wednesday.

Rocky

If it makes you feel any better they're a gaggle of over-entitled fuckwits.

What? I can only guess that some posts were removed? Because I really can't see anything that would warrant a post like this, and from an admin no less.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Seeing the posts in here makes me kind of sad that I like the comic. So much hate so quickly.

The art is freakin' awesome, particularly on the first panel, and the little armor details in panels two and three are really nice (the band-aid on his elbow makes me smile for some reason). It looks more painted than Gabe's bright colors and KimPossible-esque linework, but that's not a bad thing just different.

Yes, it's a strip about making a strip but Gabe & Tycho have done those before, hell they have three seasons of a reality show about the concept, and it's probably pretty tough to just hit the ground running when you're confronted with someone else's audience.

I don't really know who the guest artist IS, per se, but now I will go click on various links that lead places so I can find out.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Rock_117 wrote: »
    Rock_117 wrote:

Rocky

"over entitled"? This is a business, their product is the comic and we are the customers. We have a right to voice our opinions. We aren't friends, we aren't hanging out, this isn't a big family. Welcome to reality! Pretending to like it because they did Mike and Jerry a favor, is Mike and Jerry's job.

You're totally right, it is a business and you are completely free to voice your distaste.

The way I look at it is this. If you ever want to do anything or go anywhere in life, you are going to have to try new things, do things you have never done before. There is a good possibility you're going to fail a lot, maybe eventually you are going to do something good. However, the idea that people won't like something has never stopped me from trying to do something before. So when Mike and Jerry asked me to do this, and told me to just do whatever I want, I just sort of went for it. We through out a bunch of ideas, each of us didn't like a bunch of them. At the end we had to do a comic, and this is the one that got made.

If all of PA's loyal readers are not pleased, well I have failed in that respect then. Some people will like it, others won't and will say nice things, while still others won't like it and will say not so nice things. I'll take that feedback and apply it to something I do later. The point is I don't take that stuff as a shot to the ego or anything. At the very least, perhaps if I have failed you it will inspire you to go out and create your own piece of art to show the world how it should be done. That in itself, would be a victory for any artist. :)

You sir, are a stone-cold BOSS.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    One thing that seems odd is, out of the previous 8 guest comics before this run, all but one of them featured Gabe and/or Tycho. The exception had Batman. But this run is three in a row without either of them, though one does have PA supporting characters in it. Just wondering if that was coincidental or intentional, as in if they said "Do your own guest comics but don't use Gabe or Tycho" for whatever reason.

SabreMau on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It was probably a "don't have to" and everyone so far coincidentally hasn't.

• McJohnstableMcJohnstable Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Unfortunately the joke went past me a bit in this comic too. But I really enjoyed the art. And enjoyed even more the very professional response that Rock is providing in this thread. Good on ya, mate. /from New Zealand.

McJohnstable on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    When it first went up on the site, couldn't read it - the font was a little too small.

But yeah, art is lovely. :D

Not often enough does the world receive a panel where a guy is delivering a nut kick with a grin on his face. Seems like the most natural thing.

Oh brilliant
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    Evermourn wrote:
    Rock_117 wrote:

Rocky

What? I can only guess that some posts were removed? Because I really can't see anything that would warrant a post like this, and from an admin no less.

Maybe not so much in this thread, but earlier certain silly geese have matched Tube's description.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote:
    Rock_117 wrote:

Rocky

That's the saddest part of this little debacle. That people are genuinely unable to see that while they have a right to speak their opinions, there is also an expectation for certain social niceities depending on the venue in which they choose to inflict their views on the world.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    We have a right to voice our opinions.

Actually, you don't. This is a free forum that we provide at no small expense. One of the conditions that we set in allowing you to post here is that you will not be an arsehole. You are currently failing to meet that condition.
    We aren't friends, we aren't hanging out,this isn't a big family.

One of the main purposes of this forum is for friends to hang out. If you were under the impression that it was created to allow you to take out all the frustrations of your failures in life on people who are unable to slap you around the head and tell you to pull your shit together allow me to enlighten you. It isn't.
    Welcome to reality!

Here's a reality check for you: we don't owe you anything. If you didn't like the comic, fine. That does not give you or anyone else the right to act like a petulant arsehole. If you have any plans to continue posting on these boards I would strongly recommend you adjust your fucking attitude because this is the most heavily moderated category on these boards and I've already dropped one person permanently tonight for acting the dick.

In case anyone is not clear, I will not be tolerating any further horseshit in this thread. You can say you do not like the comic, but you will not embarass me in front of our guests by acting like a bunch of 11 year olds who didn't get the toy they wanted for Christmas. You're lucky you get any toys at all.

Tube, you always get me hot when you lay down the law.

BLM - ACAB
  • Saint_DipsetSaint_Dipset Registered User regular
    Hmm.. ctrl+scrollup... still can barely read it... if my printer worked I would print this out and burn it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    If you can't read it here in the thread, might be an issue on your end.

Or eyes.

Oh brilliant
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I managed to read it fine, and while not the best webcomic I've ever read it was nowhere near the level of some bad webcomics that exist in the ether.

Which I think is enough for the author and artist to feel a touch of pride, personally, it's not an easy medium to work in and they did just fine.

• FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    The Geek wrote:
    We have a right to voice our opinions.

Actually, you don't. This is a free forum that we provide at no small expense. One of the conditions that we set in allowing you to post here is that you will not be an arsehole. You are currently failing to meet that condition.
    We aren't friends, we aren't hanging out,this isn't a big family.

One of the main purposes of this forum is for friends to hang out. If you were under the impression that it was created to allow you to take out all the frustrations of your failures in life on people who are unable to slap you around the head and tell you to pull your shit together allow me to enlighten you. It isn't.
    Welcome to reality!

Here's a reality check for you: we don't owe you anything. If you didn't like the comic, fine. That does not give you or anyone else the right to act like a petulant arsehole. If you have any plans to continue posting on these boards I would strongly recommend you adjust your fucking attitude because this is the most heavily moderated category on these boards and I've already dropped one person permanently tonight for acting the dick.

In case anyone is not clear, I will not be tolerating any further horseshit in this thread. You can say you do not like the comic, but you will not embarass me in front of our guests by acting like a bunch of 11 year olds who didn't get the toy they wanted for Christmas. You're lucky you get any toys at all.

Tube, you always get me hot when you lay down the law.

But Daddy, I hate grandma's hand-made jerseys! They smell funny!

Edit: Also, Liked the comic, struggled with the font. Washing my glasses did not help.

Falx on
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I have to quote this just for the ironic humor inherent in him posting this at the same time two different hub threads went up in flames.
    Gabe wrote:
    Looking over these Dickerdoodle submissions I have to say that you guys are some of the most offensive monsters I have ever seen. I love this kind of stuff but I am constantly amazed at how many of you share my love of the “wrong”. You’re like my own perverted version of Dumbledore’s army.

That aside, that picture he posted actually makes me think going to Hawaii would be worth the 9 hours of flight time.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Syphyre wrote:
    That aside, that picture he posted actually makes me think going to Hawaii would be worth the 9 hours of flight time.

After vacationing there last year, I decided that it's where I'm going to retire, no matter what it takes.

Also, I wanted to share this tweet from good ol' Mr. Khoo:
    @rkhoo wrote:
    Bought a homeless man a hot sandwich today. He looked @ it & said, "wait, whoa... Is there meat in this?" I wanted to punch him in the face.

BLM - ACAB
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    oh my god those dickerdoodles on the front page

• The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    Syphyre wrote:

After vacationing there last year, I decided that it's where I'm going to retire, no matter what it takes.

Also, I wanted to share this tweet from good ol' Mr. Khoo:
    @rkhoo wrote:
    Bought a homeless man a hot sandwich today. He looked @ it & said, "wait, whoa... Is there meat in this?" I wanted to punch him in the face.

God and whatever other divine entities he would like to be applicable need to bless Mr. Khoo.

Any comic with an accurately drawn x-wing in it is awesome by me.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    A high-res version of the art would be pretty sweet to have. First panel sans word bubbles could make for a nice wallpaper.

Second.

• AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    If I weren't comfortably certain that The Boys were uncorruptable, I'd say Gabe's post about his vacation read very much like a paid endorsement.

Aurich on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Well it fucking wasn't

• AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    You're a grumpy person. We all know it wasn't. I think it's funny that he came off that commercial completely without trying to.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    When Gabe does paid endorsements, it's pretty obvious.

For example: "Microsoft Presents My Fuckin' Boat"

• KnuxorKnuxor Registered User regular
    Wow. And I thought the CAD forums had been weeded down to pure diehard brown-nosers.

This comic was such a terrible fill in for what has been a fairly high-standard comic, it made me click 'forum' for the first time ever to see (and cash in the lol I was owed) how the actual fans had flamed it. Then, made me create this account in order to do what this community seems to have forgotten how to. (I even typed in BOTH recaptcha words accurately, so stern was my resolve.)

The fact that the 'can't think of a strip' "joke" was done last time is only as unlucky as someone else having a terrible idea right before you did. You still went ahead and published the thing. While the artwork is better than an average PA comic, it's by no means enough to be redeeming, and all comments thus far to the contrary sting of "oh gee son! That is a pretty drawing of a... well the colors are nice!". Seriously forum-dwellers. This guest... writer... is probably an adult and could definitely use some constructive criticism. Being mature doesn't necessarily rule out saying a bad comic is bad.

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Knuxor wrote:
    Being mature doesn't necessarily rule out saying a bad comic is bad.

No, but it does involve being mature and not acting like a nance. Voicing your opinion isn't supposed to be like a roast.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
    Voicing your opinion isn't supposed to be like a roast.

Why not? It's more fun to read. PA never just says "We don't like this because of this". They get creative.

• EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Gabe and Tycho been putting out a comic thrice weekly for 13 years. Sometimes, they take vacations, or are sick, but their commitment to the schedule is iron clad. They are lucky enough to know people who would gladly fill in, just because they're nice people. Sometimes, regardless of the author, a joke falls flat. Fortunately, the slate gets wiped clean the next time a strip gets posted. We press on.

You take the good, you take the bad, you take 'em both, and there you have: the facts of life.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
    Knuxor wrote:
    Wow. And I thought the CAD forums had been weeded down to pure diehard brown-nosers.

This comic was such a terrible fill in for what has been a fairly high-standard comic, it made me click 'forum' for the first time ever to see (and cash in the lol I was owed) how the actual fans had flamed it. Then, made me create this account in order to do what this community seems to have forgotten how to. (I even typed in BOTH recaptcha words accurately, so stern was my resolve.)

The fact that the 'can't think of a strip' "joke" was done last time is only as unlucky as someone else having a terrible idea right before you did. You still went ahead and published the thing. While the artwork is better than an average PA comic, it's by no means enough to be redeeming, and all comments thus far to the contrary sting of "oh gee son! That is a pretty drawing of a... well the colors are nice!". Seriously forum-dwellers. This guest... writer... is probably an adult and could definitely use some constructive criticism. Being mature doesn't necessarily rule out saying a bad comic is bad.

Yeah, I've gotten the message by now that a lot of people don't like the comic, and as I have said before that is totally fine. Feel free to say whatever you want, I have no desire to censor you and constructive criticism is always good and I do keep that stuff in mind for later. I'm not sure if people think my feelings are hurt when they type not so nice things here, but I can assure you they aren't. I work professionally, been doing it for ten years now, it's a tough world out there. When someone hires me to do a job, and they don't like what I did they tell me about it. Now if the moderators want to keep discourse to a certain level that's another thing.

However, I don't regret doing or posting the comic. Yes, I went ahead and posted it regardless of the idea, because it was what I had done in the time frame I had to do it in, on top of all the other client work I am doing, and I told Mike there would be a strip on Monday so he did'nt have to worry about it. I took a chance on something I've never done before, I showed up, I'm taking my licks, and I'll be a better artist for doing so. I am honored that the guys would come and ask me to do it, the idea was to have people who have never done web comics before to take a shot at them. If Mike asked me again, I would totally take another stab at it. You have to do everything for the first time once, and more than likely you aren't going to be good at it on the first attempt. :)

Your opinions are strong, so I'm assuming you are a writer or an artist of some kind Knuxor. I am sure you know what it is like to do something and put it out there. There will always be people who don't like things, but you can't let it prevent you from doing things.

Take care, and keep creating! :)

Rocky

edited December 2011
    Rock_117 wrote:
    Yeah, I've gotten the message by now that a lot of people don't like the comic, and as I have said before that is totally fine. Feel free to say whatever you want, I have no desire to censor you and constructive criticism is always good and I do keep that stuff in mind for later. I'm not sure if people think my feelings are hurt when they type not so nice things here, but I can assure you they aren't. I work professionally, been doing it for ten years now, it's a tough world out there. When someone hires me to do a job, and they don't like what I did they tell me about it. Now if the moderators want to keep discourse to a certain level that's another thing.

However, I don't regret doing or posting the comic. Yes, I went ahead and posted it regardless of the idea, because it was what I had done in the time frame I had to do it in, on top of all the other client work I am doing, and I told Mike there would be a strip on Monday so he did'nt have to worry about it. I took a chance on something I've never done before, I showed up, I'm taking my licks, and I'll be a better artist for doing so. I am honored that the guys would come and ask me to do it, the idea was to have people who have never done web comics before to take a shot at them. If Mike asked me again, I would totally take another stab at it. You have to do everything for the first time once, and more than likely you aren't going to be good at it on the first attempt. :)

Your opinions are strong, so I'm assuming you are a writer or an artist of some kind Knuxor. I am sure you know what it is like to do something and put it out there. There will always be people who don't like things, but you can't let it prevent you from doing things.

Rocky

Good man! A miss on a hit and miss is one thing, a public that won't call a miss a miss is another. I'm not going to say something nice about your comic now, but I will say that with an attitude like that, I'd be interested to see your next one.

Knuxor on
    Knuxor wrote:
    Rock_117 wrote:

Rocky

Good man! A miss on a hit and miss is one thing, a public that won't call a miss a miss is another. I'm not going to say something nice about your comic now, but I will say that with an attitude like that, I'd be interested to see your next one.

Fair enough! :)

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Knuxor wrote:
    Why not? It's more fun to read.

Because that isn't how we do things here. You are welcome to go to a different place where they do. I assure you that whatever hilarious putdown you've spent seconds of your valuable life crafting is considerably less amusing to the rest of the world than it is to you.

• HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    The Penny Arcade Hub used to be a decently well-behaved subforum, until it took a guest comic to the knee.
    I'm so sorry

kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
    Hamju wrote:
    The Penny Arcade Hub used to be a decently well-behaved subforum, until it took a guest comic to the knee.
    I'm so sorry

Hamju wins the internet...

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Ugh, can we spend the next two pages tearing apart Hamju's post instead of the guest strip? Spoilered appology or no...

Guest strip wasn't great, but it wasn't horri-bad. It was worth spending the time looking at it in order to see the pretty pictures. Though I don't play quake so I had no idea what the power armor dude was about... I suppose thats my bad for not playing Quake.

616610-1.png