As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Comic: Monday Dec 19, 2011 - Blurb

13»

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hamju wrote:
    The Penny Arcade Hub used to be a decently well-behaved subforum, until it took a guest comic to the knee.
    I'm so sorry

Goddammit.

• Options
    plebeianprintplebeianprint Registered User new member
    Long time reader. First time poster.

The authors of Friday's and Monday's guest strips really seem to think that PA readers are morons. That has never been my experience. As someone whose only web comic experience is PA, it's a rough introduction to other creators/strips via condescension. Wednesday's comic was cute, and applicable; For me, though, the guest strips began and ended there.

• Options
    Rock_117Rock_117 Registered User regular
    Long time reader. First time poster.

The authors of Friday's and Monday's guest strips really seem to think that PA readers are morons.

That was not the intention, so I apologize if that was the impression you got.

• Options
    InXplotchInXplotch Registered User regular
    Ehhh, for the guest comic I'll say I enjoyed it. I think people are getting way to angsty over this, but that's just me.

The main reason I am posting though is because of the news posts. Hilarious. Thank you Gabe. Thank you for what you've done.

PSN: InXplotch
    ... My, what a boring Signature.
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    It's not that we don't like cock jokes. In fact we do. It's just we are connoisseurs of cock. It's like saying "I heard you are really into wine, so I got you this," and pulling out a bottle of Turning Leaf. Of course in both cases it is bad form for the recipient to be a dick about it.

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Very nice artwork, I enjoyed it. And if I hadn't, I'd have just kept my mouth shut and moved on to my next free content interweb thing.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    Rock_117Rock_117 Registered User regular
    jackal wrote:
    It's not that we don't like cock jokes. In fact we do. It's just we are connoisseurs of cock. It's like saying "I heard you are really into wine, so I got you this," and pulling out a bottle of Turning Leaf. Of course in both cases it is bad form for the recipient to be a dick about it.

Give me SOME credit. I'd at least show up with a box of Franzia or some two buck chuck. ;-)

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    I love his face in the last panel

so happy

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    comic presented by hans moleman

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Guest comics are almost never a loss in my book. Just about every webcomic published on the internet has guest strips at one point or another, and that's generally a good thing. It gives the webcomic author a break* and it also introduces me to cartoonists or writers I've not heard of before. Many times this has lead me to becoming a reader of their comic, or at least checking on their site from time to time. This is good.

Another way to look at it, I read the comic/newsposts because I like the style of the two PA dudes, so I also think "Hrm Jerry/Mike thought enough of these guys/gals to let them post, I'll go check it out idly" (because if I have time to write a post this long, I must have time to look at webcomics! :P )

So for what it's worth, thanks to all the guest authors for putting yourselves out there. You'll know if I liked it because your webserver will be imperceptibly more loaded due to my clicks ;-)

*Entitlement issues about webcomics never having guest strips are in a post that-away.

• Options
    KnuxorKnuxor Registered User regular
    I assure you that whatever hilarious putdown you've spent seconds of your valuable life crafting is considerably less amusing to the rest of the world than it is to you.

Was that supposed to be the exact thing that it's describing? Go ahead and ban me now. If backing by point of view (on the artwork and comments mind you, not against anyone personally) up with a colorful image - pun intended - is against the vague "don't be a dick" rule, then you might as well be pro SOPA.

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    I don't know what SOPA means, but really what colorful imagery could be applied to critique of this guest comic? The strongest language I would use against it is "meh."

• Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    I, uh... Guess you don't insult admins? That sounds like a good code to live by on any forum.

The comic was fine. A little tired as guest-comics go? But seriously, a guest comic isn't going to be some brand new story or whatever, it's a little vignette and typically is from the point of view of a guest looking into a community. So, what would you expect?

It's not an utterly lame joke; it's not like a new standup comedian stepping up right after a headliner and spouting some canned "airline food" line; it's actually a bit refreshing in that it's a genuine perspective. It's well drawn; has clever references (actually dated at this point, but they pretty well establish the authors' provenance); from an artistic point of view it shows a knowledge of movement that might have even gotten better had they felt free to break outside of the horizontal three panels; it even sort of (maybe unknowingly) homages MacHall a bit. If this is the "oh screw it let's just rush this one out, all our other ideas were crap" one, that's pretty darned impressive. I kinda wish they had just went ahead and offended people, though- it's not like PA worries too excessively about that. Gentlemanly of them to avoid it, though.

I'm not going to actually comment on how the rest of the forum has been treating the recent guest comics. I guess this was a mini-review of the guest comic. Not really sure of the purpose of critiquing guest comics, it's a bit like critiquing a guest appearance on a late night talk show. But I hath wrought what I hath.

• Options
    GalacticGalactic Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    The guest strips have felt a bit like pandering. Most guest strips do. The first guest strip wasn't amazing, but at least it was an honest attempt at a joke. The last 2 basically talked directly about PA fans and what the guest artist thinks we like. But it's quite understandable; the guest artists aren't all too familiar with PA's fans. Making a good strip is difficult. It really is. It's extra difficult to create a good GUEST strip.

I appreciate the effort made by the guest artists, thank you guys, and I'm glad our boys are back.

Galactic on
    ^_-;

Too Galactic for you.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Knuxor wrote:
    Being mature doesn't necessarily rule out saying a bad comic is bad.

No, but it does involve being mature and not acting like a nance.
    :(
    That's my name.

steam_sig.png