As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I have a duck. Let us cook it.

Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Pretty simple here. I love duck, grabbed a whole duck on sale from the supermarket, and now its thawing in my fridge.

How should I cook it? Any tricks? I'm great with a recipe and have all the standard kitchen tools at my disposal.

Skoal Cat on

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Generally you try to remove most of the duck fat (ducks are super fatty) and then roast it kinda like a turkey, though you're supposed to rotate it every half hour or so.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    I hear ducks are best when they are shoved into the hole of some other beast.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Season it, roast it, then fry some potatoes using the fat.

I haven't roasted a duck before, but I did roast a goose for the first time last year, and I imagine there are similarities. The high fat content makes the experience a bit different than roasting a chicken. Be sure to have the bird on a wire rack on a pan, and make sure your pan is deep enough to catch a lot of drippings. A lot of fat gets rendered out, and it can be really dangerous. I melted my basting tube trying to get some of the goose fat pool taken out of the pan.

Also: be sure to save those rendered fat drippings! Aside from frying up some delicious, delicious duck fat potatoes to go with your meal that day, you can save the rest in a jar for later delicious use.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    The high fat content means that you do risk making a lot of smoke when roasting if you don't diligently remove the rendered fat (make fries with that!). You can use a dual cooking method (e.g. simmering/steaming for primary cooking, and finishing in the pan to brown it), but you may lose a good amount of the rendered fat that way.

Also it tastes much better cooked to medium/medium rare than well done, though standard caveat about eating not fully cooked food applies. I think there's a significantly lower risk of salmonella with duck due to low demand meaning they are raised in better conditions than chickens.

• Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    I should probably get a probe thermometer.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Duck also takes glazes amazingly well. Peking Duck and Duck a L'Orange, are the 2 classic examples.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/09/the-food-lab-how-to-make-peking-duck-at-home.html

has a decent how to make Peking-duck at home guide.

And some of the steps, like letting it dry over night, will probably apply to any glazed version if you cook it.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    God I love Cantonese-style roast duck.

I don't think google is a bad place to find a recipe for that

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights