As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Go post in the new thread. This one's wrapped up. Get it?

minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying fieldnjRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Games and Technology
DNfgD.png

NYkZ8.png
fzsT8.pngtErbf.png

steamlogom.png
facebook.gif twitter.gif

fzsT8.pngCoping with Steam: Artistic Commentary on Our Shared AfflictiontErbf.png
tMRzb.jpg

xHlDY.jpg

JG9rG.jpg

steamthemall.jpg

steamdiscs.jpg

paydaycomic.jpg

fzsT8.pngMost Frequently Asked QuestionstErbf.png

1. Steam's search tool is cumbersome and not very informative. Is there a website, other than Steam's, I can go to find out what's on sale?
2. Can I register this copy of (Insert Game Here) on Steam?
Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it. You can also use this to add your own shortcuts with fake names to your Steam games list to make it look like you're playing Episode 3. Hilarious

3. If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?
Not usually. You're welcome to ask in this thread, although if you Google it it'll probably be answered even faster.

4. Why isn't __Insert Game Here__ available in my horrible little corner of the earth?
Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire. Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game.

5. How do I get an invite to the Penny Arcade Steam group?
The most convenient way is to just post a link to your Steam profile page (getting one of the swank signatures described below makes it easy) and ask for an invite. Just as a word of advice, we tend to prefer that you be a regular contributor to get an invite to the group. The rule of thumb is 6 months of activity on the forums. We are well known for our generosity, and like to make sure any new additions are here for the good of the community, and not to leech during sales. That said, we're a friendly group, so make yourself at home and start posting and you'll be there in no time!

6. How does trading items/games work?
Trading is now built in to Steam, hurray! Read all about how it works right here.

fzsT8.pngSome Words on GiftingtErbf.png

If you receive a game or pack via a gift or a contest, remember to thank that person either through a PM or by announcing it in the thread. This is not optional. We are classy gentlemen and will act as such.

Steam's new gifting features allow you to store up games in your gift bank when you purchase them, instead of having to email yourself the gift link. It'll be an option during checkout.

A few things to remember as a giftee:
1. Make it possible to track you from PA Forums to Steam. A link directly to your steam ID is usually the most convenient. Remember, your Steam ID is different than your steam name. If you just include text to your steam name, we have to search and scroll through 5 pages to find you (and we may not find you if you're not using the same name/avatar combo!).

2. Make it possible to track you from Steam to PA Forums. Best bet is using similar avatar/name. Understandably, some people don't want to do that. In that case, you should have "I'm ______ on Penny Arcade Forums!" in your profile blurb.

Generally speaking, if you're selected for a gift from a stranger on here it will be, usually, one of two ways:

You will either post in the thread (so they will go to your profile to friend you and then to the store to send a gift.
—or—
Someone will want to gift a certain game and go to the store page where you can see everyone who has it on their wishlist.

Also, remember that a gifter can see when you added a game to your wishlist. If you add it on the day of the sale, you might have a smaller chance of being gifted it than someone who has been interested in it since release. Gifters should also make sure they are identifiable from Steam to PA Forums. Some people are shy and are too nervous to message a gifter and say "hey thanks, I have no idea who you are on forums!"

fzsT8.pngAn Important Word on ConteststErbf.png

If you decide to run or participate in a giveaway contest for gift copies of games, please remember that all entry submissions must now be made via PM. The forum mods have stated that pages of the thread being filled with pictures, videos, etc. submitted as contest entries will lead to such contests being banned. So please, for the sake of the thread – take it to PMs.

fzsT8.pngHelpful StufftErbf.png

Steam Mover
Does your Steam library have 800 games? Do you wish you could move some of those games to different hard drives instead of deleting them entirely and then downloading them again when you want to play them? Steam Mover is here for you.

Steam Price Guide
Do you have the misfortune to live somewhere other than America? Steam hates you! Luckily, this cool website with prices for Steam games all around the world is here to help, so you can know if you want to ask an American friend to buy the game for you or not.

Aussies
You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

Also: Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

I've also been told you Aussies might want to try Angus Wolfcastle's SteamManager. Setting it up is easy is you follow the instructions here. If you find you're still being charged for your steam downloads, try changing the setting like in this link here.

fzsT8.pngCool Community Add-OnstErbf.png

Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon. Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!

Sample signature:
steam_sig.png

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Steam Roulette
Having trouble picking a game out of your burgeoning [strike]backlog[/strike] gamebank to play? Let VicWhiten's Steam Roulette decide! Just type in your Steam community ID (easier if you set up a custom URL on your Steam profile page), and Steam Roulette will read your library and randomly pick one game every time you hit "Spin the Wheel!" It even connects to Steam to allow you to install or start the game with a single click.

What's all this about serving "The Newell?"
It started with this comic:
steamregulator.jpg
And now it is our unofficial official motto.

fzsT8.pngWinter Achievements & GiveawaystErbf.png

During the Winter Sale there will be special Christmas Achievements posted every day. Each one you complete nets you a coupon, a free game (at random) or a lump of coal, eventually redeemable in bulk for better prizes. A full list of the winter achievements can be found right here.

Just note that you can complete the achievements any time, even before they appear on the Steam homepage, but you won't get the reward until the day Steam posts it.

//credit for the op contents goes to the ever classy @TychoCelchuuu

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
minor incident on

• PodunkPodunk Registered User regular
    Defense Grid: You Monster DLC for $1.24! Sold!

camo_sig2.png
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    New thread smells like Christmas.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    new thread smell, wooo!

I only have defense grid and I don't think I'll be picking up any of the games on sale today

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    And Boom goes the Payday dynamite.

4 pack get.

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I got a 25% off coupon for some company called.. Merdian4? I've never heard of any of these games!

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Anyone interested in going in on a 4-pack for payday? I can paypal you like 7 bucks or whatever, or gift you some games

• LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    Probably just payday for me.

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    I feel like I should buy Stalker and Never Winter Nights Platinum has my attention!

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i would totally join a 4-pack for payday, just saying.

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    damn $30 for a Payday 4 pack

e: quick someone tell me which mount and blade game is the most important to own

Shogun on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I love love love the game inventory, but it's getting a bit out of hand. Now I not only buy games to play, I buy games to tuck away for a rainy day/christmas present/birthday present/welcome to Steam gift.

I must have like $25 in games in there and every sale brings another "well, I'll bet someone will like this, and if I can give it to them after paying $5 that's way better than them Hmmm'ing and Haw'ing over it for $20".

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    So what's the skinny on Grotesque Tactics and Monday Night Combat?

Also, if people would friend me I'd appreciate it; makes it easier to spread the christmas cheer.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    Anyone else already join the holiday group and not gotten the cheevo?

steam_sig.png
  • Minor SecondMinor Second Registered User regular
    Looking for a Payday 4 pack.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Lego Batman GET! Just in the nick of time. ALso @corpekata, missed you message last thread, sorry! I've been using a legit address for the amazon thing. Its no big deal though sinceas I said to Lord Yod, I probably wouldn't get around to the dlc for quite some time.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Huh...i wonder what the little note in the sale steam group re: people stealing coal from santa was about. Did they crack down on the people making HIB accounts for coal?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    Jungleskye wrote:
    I feel like I should buy Stalker and Never Winter Nights Platinum has my attention!

Get stalker! And NVM is good too:)

steam_sig.png
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Yeah, this day is a dissappointing one for me.

Only games I'm interested in that my computer can even run is Payday and Jurassic Park, but JP is a bit out of my impulse buy range.

I hear Defense Grid is pretty good, though Im not USUALLY a fan of Tower Defense (exceptions exist.. like OMD)

I'm guessing the Steam Holiday Group achievement is lagging. Had two of the other achievements, and got two coal for it. Bah.

camo_sig2.png
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Tell you what, I'll make a 12 hour steamgift with Payday, that way if you don't win you still have time to get it cheap.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Thinking probably Clear Sky simple to complete my Stalker collection. Maybe some goofy Sherlock Holmes antics.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    PAYDAY 4 PACK
    we need:
    A SOMEONE TO BUY THEM -
    Three getaway drivers
    Let us know if you choose to be buyer, if you would like money back or games

1)
    2)TheRoadVirus
    3)
    4)

• Firmus_PiettFirmus_Piett Registered User regular
    Could someone send me an invite to the main PA group? I'd appreciate it alot.

camo_sig.png

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Oh, Payday. So close, yet so far away. Why aren't you $20 for a 4 pack? I would've gladly paid that for distribution rights.

$25 for Arkham is CRAZY. Also, that game is awesome and everyone should buy it.

I would recommend people watch Giant Bomb's Quick Look of Jurassic Park before purchasing because it looks like garbage.

Also, Monday Night Combat is fun and worth the $2.50.

Medium Dave on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Clear Sky isn't really worth it, unless you're buying it purely just to have the complete set.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Defense Grid You Monster for $1.24 is a steal. Also, enter my giveaway for the HIB3 games!
    http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/yiPkm/humble-indie-bundle-3

camo_sig2.png
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    Huh...i wonder what the little note in the sale steam group re: people stealing coal from santa was about. Did they crack down on the people making HIB accounts for coal?

Yes.

$1 minimum added for Steam keys.

http://blog.humblebundle.com/

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    Shogun wrote:

e: quick someone tell me which mount and blade game is the most important to own

I say Warband is the one you're looking for.

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Lord Jezo wrote:

Yes.

Okay it is awesome that the HIB guys did that, but a giant bummer that they had to in the first place.

camo_sig2.png
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    So the pricing on the Stalker games is a bit weird. Is the first generally considered best?

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Lord Jezo wrote:

Yes.

Ah. Good. That was shit and those people were shitty.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    PAYDAY 4 PACK
    we need:
    A SOMEONE TO BUY THEM -
    Three getaway drivers

1)
    2)TheRoadVirus
    3) <--- CarbonFire :^:
    4)

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    So today the store seems more stable, but community is dead.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Who is this Guru, and why is he always meditating instead of letting me look at my inventory?

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Anyone know how much harddrive space Payday takes up?

I'm at work right now and can't check Steam.

Arkham City going to $25 already gives me hope that it'll be down to $10 by next Winter sale, at which point I will pounce with vigor.

camo_sig2.png
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Lepwave wrote:
    Shogun wrote:

I say Warband is the one you're looking for.

Do I need the combat expansion as well? Also Batman AC for $25??

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Lars wrote:
    Anyone know how much harddrive space Payday takes up?

I'm at work right now and can't check Steam.

3-4 gigs.

• busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote:
    PAYDAY 4 PACK
    we need:
    A SOMEONE TO BUY THEM -
    Three getaway drivers

1)
    2)TheRoadVirus
    3) <--- CarbonFire :^:
    4) busfahrer :)

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
    So today the store seems more stable, but community is dead.

Sacrifices had to be made. Build up your army, and let it invade your friends list later.