As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help with music sub-genere (metal/rock)

PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm not a music guy, but I'm looking for a lable for a type of metal or hard rock with electronica influences so I can find more of it. Some (in my mind) well know examples:

ministry
zob/white zombie
marylin manson
disturbed
system of a down

What is this called? Also recommendations for good bands would be swell.

kthxbi~

all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
PirateJon on

• Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't think any two of those are of the same genre. I've read that pandora only exists as a paysite, or I would recommend that, because it searches using artists that you input, rather than genre names. Still worth a shot, though.

There is another way, but it's harder. I used to use Amazon before the advent of all these music finding services. If you look up an album you like, it will show similar items that people bought with it. The difficulty comes in that some people have extremely varied tastes.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Try signing up on Last.fm. They have radio stations that populate with bands similar to what you specify. Find a group in there and join it. I am sure you will have no trouble finding what you are looking for.

Ataxrxes on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If you want to give it a name, you could call a lot of that industrial. Different folks have different labels, though.

If you're looking for a record label, you should check out Wax Trax! If you like the bands you have listed above, I'd highly recommend WT artists like KMFDM, Front 242, Ministry, My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult, etc.

Also, you must look into Skinny Puppy--I can't recommend them enough.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think Ministry is generally considered Industrial. Rob Zombie, some of the later White Zombie, and Marilyn Manson I generally consider Industrial-ish.

I've never been a big fan of electronica based stuff, so some purist might tell me I'm wrong, but I've always considered industrial to be "metal with electronic stuff going on", which describes those bands

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I know shit about music so figures I'm looking for shit that doesn't exist. I was more interested in the non-streaming resources so I can jam during my workouts, but I'll dig through and check out last.fm.

Thanks guys

PirateJon on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Metal + electronics = industrial. It's a very basic interpretation of the genre, but loosely accurate.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    These three:

ministry
    zob/white zombie
    marylin manson

Are basically industrial rock/industrial metal. Other bands similar are Nine Inch Nails, Chemlab, (some) KMFDM, Prong, Die Krupps, Pig, Pitchshifter, Godflesh, Fear Factory, and (some) Static-X.

Serule on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Check out Rammstein and Celldweller for industrial goodness.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, "industrial" is probably your best bet. I'm sure there are some crazy genre classifications to narrow things down further (no doubt ending in "-core"), but that should be enough to get you started.

I know I'm always pimping these guys, but check out Strapping Young Lad (City and Alien especially) for more angry, heavy, electronic-y music. Both of the albums I mentioned have a very strong industrial / electronic influence, and Devvy (the lead singer) could probably eat the lead singer of Disturbed and make a hat out of the rest of him. Ok, that's probably an exaggeration (SYL is his "release valve", and he's involved in a lot of cool, less psychotic bands), but rumor has it he went off his meds for the production of Alien, just to see what would happen.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I would call system of a down "hard rock", not metal.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I would call system of a down "hard rock", not metal.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Fucking awesome dudes. I'll buy you a beer next time you're in town.

PirateJon on
  • Options
    ShlankShlank Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    We could probably throw Nine Inch Nails and Stabbing Westward in there as well since they fit the "industrial" mold.

Shlank on
    Shlankx.png
  • Options
    SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    PirateJon wrote: »
    I'm not a music guy, but I'm looking for a lable for a type of metal or hard rock with electronica influences so I can find more of it. Some (in my mind) well know examples:

ministry
    zob/white zombie
    marylin manson
    disturbed
    system of a down

What is this called? Also recommendations for good bands would be swell.

kthxbi~

Ministry - Started out pop-synth, moved into Industrial and now they have a metal-industrial sound
    Rob Zombie - Does the industrial thing but tends to be more poppy which makes it accessible
    White Zombie - They did the hard rock / metal thing. Very catchy stuff as well.
    Disturbed - Mallcore/Nu-metal.
    System of a down - Mallcore/Nu-metal.

Skinny Puppy is a great recommendation. Which Ministry album(s) do you like? SP is all over the place as well. You could go wrong with SP's Too Dark Park though. Or Rabies.

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I just remembered a couple of others...

If you can find it, which could be tough, the 1000 Homo DJs E.P. is awesomsauce. "Supernaut" is a fantastic song. There are different versions of the song, although both sound pretty much the same. One version has Trent Reznor singing on it, the other has Al from Ministry. These guys had so many side projects going, it's hard to keep track of all of them (1000 Homo DJs, Pigface, etc.) I believe the 1000 Homo DJs E.P. has the Al vocal version. Anyway, there's also another song on this E.P. called "Hey, Asshole," and it's hilarious.

If you'd also like to check out some heavy industrial-ish stuff with a great sense of humor (but still pounding), check out Revolting Cocks (a Ministry side project with Al). RevCo's Linger Fickin' Good And Other Barnyard Oddities is a classic album. It has a funny cover of Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy," a song with some Timothy Leary spoken word ("Gila Copter"), and the closing track is absolutely brilliant.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    Steve BennettSteve Bennett Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pandora is not pay, and is still available in the US. Due to legal restrictions, they've had to block access from other countries, including Canada. I still access it from Canada, however, but I cannot say how as board mods probably don't want that kind of information made available here.

In Canada, the rock stations I listened to back in the Alternative days have all went to this irritating retro/pop/punk genre. I HATE 80s/retro/pop (classic rock FTW tho). New Canadian 'rock' bands irritate me (as they are in that genre). I also can't stand the "THE" bands (the killers, the white stripes, etc).

I say all this because I too like bands like you've listed. My favourites are Tool (and APC) and Disturbed. I seeded a Pandora station with these bands, and often get good songs I would have never heard on the radio. Some of the ones I've thumbed up are:

Seether-Fine Again
    Course Of Nature-Wall Of Shame
    Earshot-Not Afraid
    Evans Blue-Cold
    12 Stones-Broken

As for genre name.. shrug.. I named my pandora station Heavy Rock, because I didn't feel it was quite metal, nor hard rock.

Steve Bennett on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    NexusSix wrote: »
    If you can find it, which could be tough, the 1000 Homo DJs E.P. is awesomsauce. "Supernaut" is a fantastic song.

Don't track down the EP. All the songs on it, plus many others (such as the Pailhead tracks) are on the "Ministry - Side Trax" reissue Rhino put out recently. It's a good buy if you like Ministry.

Serule on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Spackle wrote: »
    Skinny Puppy is a great recommendation.

IMO this is akin to:

You like wine coolers? Perhaps you'd enjoy Absinthe!

Serule on
  • Options
    SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Serule wrote: »

IMO this is akin to:

Thats why I asked what album from Ministry he liked. If he enjoys the new one the most, obviously BRAP or Cleanse, Fold and Manipulate are NOT good recommendations.

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Industrial music is really it's own genre, completely seperate from metal, but there's a huge crossover element. Some industrial CDs have a very metal sound, and others don't even have guitars.

Maybe it would help if I made a organized list:

Recommended High Metal Content CDs:

Chemlab - Burn Out at the Hydrogen Bar
    Fear Factory - Demanufacture
    Front Line Assembly - Millenium
    Ministry - Psalm 69
    Nine Inch Nails - Broken
    Pitchshifter - Infotainment, www.Pitchshifter.com
    Prong - Rude Awakening
    Static-X - Machine

CDs that are also quite good but Not Metal at all:

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
    Ministry - Twitch
    Front Line Assembly - Tactical Neural Implant
    Front 242 - Up Evil, Off

Serule on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Serule wrote: »

IMO this is akin to:

Thats why I asked what album from Ministry he liked. If he enjoys the new one the most, obviously BRAP or Cleanse, Fold and Manipulate are NOT good recommendations.

I have the (older?) ministry CD with psalm:69 on it that's frequently in the mix. I can't say I've ever bought much music (i have no soul) and I have no idea if I've ever heard ministry's newer stuff.

I was just listening to pitchshifter's "genius". :^: :^: That's very much what I was interested in. Loud, angry, fast, no cookie monster vocals. Perfect.

PirateJon on