As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Games and Technology
****ATTENTION PC PLAYERS, GET THE RESOLUTION FIX HERE: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=108****

It's being update fairly regularly so check the guy's blog for the latest version.

Comparison of different options:

tumblr_m98k21wbBH1r8w1xa.gif

0NoQI.png

(See second post for guides/in-depth info)

Welcome to the Dark Souls thread! Take a seat over the- oh wait you've died already. Yeah you should probably get used to that.

Dark Souls is a hardcore action-RPG by From Software, a spiritual successor to their previous game Demon's Souls. It's also as difficult as you've heard it is, but provides an experience that you rarely get in other modern games. There are no difficulty levels and no manual saves, you cannot pause and combat is entirely skill based. By defeating enemies and using certain items you gain souls, which are everything. You use them to level up your character, buy and upgrade items and magic and in certain cases create powerful unique weapons.

As well as souls, there is a secondary resource you'll be collecting called humanity. You start the game as an undead (hollow), weaker and overall less effective than you are in human form. By collecting and spending humanity you can revert yourself back to human form, increasing certain resistances and improving your item discovery rate. Becoming human also allows you to be summoned to and invade other players worlds.

Doesn't sound too bad right? Well let's talk about death.

9aW6o.png

You'll see this a lot. Death is as much a part of Dark Souls as collecting the precious souls themselves. If you die you keep your items but lose all your souls and humanity and leave behind a bloodstain. If you make it back to your bloodstain you can recover them, but die on your way back to your corpse and you lose them for good.

Rush forward with abandon to pick up that shiny item? You're going to die. Let your guard down because you've been through the starting enemies 20 times before? You're going to die. You'll learn to respect death as it starts out by beating you into the ground but then teaches you that every step forward, every dark corner and every closed door in this place demands respect.

Despite the shadow of death following you everywhere you go, there is one place you can gain some respite.

zhQ9j.png

Bonfires are the one place you can rest and restore. You can spend your souls to increase your character stats, repair your weapons and armour and restore a limited number of healing flasks. Spend your humanity here and you can also make them more powerful and have them restore more healing items. Bonfires are also your only checkpoints, as long as you've lit one you will return to it once you die.

Of course it's not that easy. Anytime you touch a bonfire or warp back to one after dying, every enemy you've previously killed respawns ready to take you down again.

So that's Dark Souls. Prepare to die.

Multiplayer

or as we prefer to call it

t9Cn9.png

Co-op

When co-opping in Dark Souls you can either summon players to your world or be a phantom summoned to another's world. To summon you must be human but phantoms can be either human or hollow. The summoning system isn't your normal "invite to game" thing though. In game you throw down a summoning sign and anyone within 10 levels of you can bring you into their world until you die, exit or kill the boss of that area.

PVP and Invading

Although becoming human allows you to summon others to your world when you want, it also opens you up to being invaded by anyone with an easy to obtain consumable item. The invader however doesn't choose what world to invade, it is random but limited to the zone you are currently in. Invasions and PVP can also be initiated by joining certain covenants that hold specific conditions.

Other Online Stuff

If you're not engaging in co-op or PVP, it still pays to play while online. Players can leave messages around the world warning of traps or monsters, giving instructions for hidden items or just being dicks and fucking you over. You'll also see other player's bloodstains throughout the world that show you how they met their maker.

Screenshots

cbHPG.jpg

SsLK6.jpg

O9syL.jpg

WGtOv.png

0Uvsa.png

W7Fko.png

Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekqkHjfw9Z0&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93LFz_j5fQA&feature=player_embedded

vF0zJ.png

Release date August 24th

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition will include an untold chapter in the world of Lordran where the player must stop the spread of darkness at all costs by facing and defeating the Dark Knight Artorias.

- New Bosses - Including Artorias of Abyss, Chimera of Tomb, and more -
- PVP Online Matchmaking System - Quick matching for co-op or PVP -
- New Areas – Including Oolacile Tomb, Old Ruins and more -
- New Enemies – Including Abyss Guard, Chained Prisoner and more -
- New NPCs – Including Hawkeye Gough and more -
- New Weapons and Armor – Equip some from the new bosses, enemies, and NPCs -

More details to be revealed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzSqBfPQIEk

jeNVT.png

MNf3A.png

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
mere_immortal on

• Options
    edited April 2012
    New to the game? Look here!

Dark Souls Wikis

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com

Character Builder

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

Starter Guide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLPhq5gNeBI&feature=player_embedded
    Shen wrote:
    Because I’m bored at work, I thought I might do a stat guide for the OP?

Humanity: Occasionally obtained from defeating enemies, that number to the left of your health/stamina bar. Used to return to human form (to summon others), kindle bonfires (5 more estus flasks), increases item drop rates (cap at 20), increases “Chaos” damage (cap at 10), used for raising allegiance with some covenants.

Endurance: Increases stamina and maximum equip burden. Stamina is used for attacking, blocking, sprinting and rolling – basically everything. Equip burden determines what gear you can use and how mobile you are. Under 25% of your max burden and you can roll freely. Under 50% and your movement speed and roll are slower, but workable. Under 100% and you’re much slower and roll heavily with a long animation to get up. Over 100% and you plod ridiculously slowly and can’t roll at all.
    40: The stamina cap, and therefore the only number worth mentioning.

Attunement: Determines how many spell slots you have for all sorceries, miracles and pyromancies.
    10/12/14/16/19/23/28/34/41/50: 1-10 spell slots. (6 or 7 is probably enough for anyone.)

Vitality: Your health 8->
    30-50: Enough to let you take a few hits in PvP and NG+.

The following stats suffer greatly from diminishing returns past 40, but I’ll jot down any reason to go past it for completion’s sake.

Strength: Determines whether or not you can swing a weapon or use a shield effectively, as well as increasing damage with weapons that scale with it.
    16: Claymore, Zweihander (two handed), Eagle Shield, Black Knight Shield. The go-to value for non-strength builds.
    27: Optimal benefit for using weapons two-handed, lets you use anything that might benefit from both strength and dexterity (28 for the Murakumo one handed).
    40: Optimal benefit for using strength weapons in one hand, can one hand anything worthwhile and two hand everything else.
    (51/58/66): Every shield/one hand every weapon/max possible damage two handing (For the love of God, don’t go this high >.>).

Dexterity: Increases damage for weapons that scale with it, slightly increases casting speed.
    18: Lets you use all Black Knight weapons and crossbows.
    24: Covers every weapon that has a dexterity requirement to wield at all.
    40: Optimal benefit from dexterity weapons.
    (45): Max casting speed (not worth it).

Magic: Requirement for sorceries, increases damage for sorceries and weapons that scale with it (Magic/Enchanted).
    10: Let’s you buy spells from the vendor at Firelink and Logan at the Archives, can use some basic utility spells.
    12/16: Lets you use the best Catalyst for non casters/ more advanced utility spells (Resist Curse/Poison, Cast Light, Great Magic Weapon/Shield).
    25/32: Crystal Magic Weapon/Tin Crystallisation Catalyst and 5 orbs with the Soul mass spells.
    44: Crystal Soul Spear sorcery.
    (50): White Dragon Breath sorcery (not really worth it).

Faith: Increases magic defence, requirement for miracles, increases damage for miracles and weapons that scale with it (Blessed/Occult).
    18: Emit Force and Homeward utility miracles.
    28/30: Wrath of God miracle/Darkmoon and Sunlight Blade weapon buffs.
    40: Optimal benefit from faith scaling.
    (50): Sunlight Spear (nifty knockback, but takes up two slots with just 5 uses. Not really worth it).

Resistance: Joke stat, disregard. (Increases poison resistance, and increases defence slightly faster than other stats).

Poise: The most important stat on your armour. Higher poise means that you won’t get staggered when you’re hit by heavier attacks, which is particularly useful in PvP.
    40: One hit from most one-handed weapons.
    55: One hit from larger weapons (notably the Claymore and its ilk).
    76: One hit from very large weapons, eg. Black Knight Greataxe and Zweihander.

Weapon Upgrades

2009725-1319910789872.jpg

Novelty Builds

http://darksoulsbuilds.imgur.com/all/

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Probably do an updated OP soon, compile everything into one post.

Also got impatient when farming the Black Knights in front of Gwyn last night when a fellow sunbro sign appeared so I took him for some jolly co-op and finished the game.

It felt a bit cheap but one shotting the asylum demon on NG was also pretty awesome.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I need to push into new areas. I'm also thinking about twinking out a lvl 15-20 toon for Gravelording in the undead parish, but I don't know I'd there's anywhere I can access to farm eyes without killing the gargoyles.

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yay, it's back!

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Curse vacation, more than two weeks without any Dark Souls.

Nice OP mere_immortal. Thanks for taking over.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    JihadJesus wrote:
    I need to push into new areas. I'm also thinking about twinking out a lvl 15-20 toon for Gravelording in the undead parish, but I don't know I'd there's anywhere I can access to farm eyes without killing the gargoyles.

you only need to kill the gargoyles to get to sen's fortress and any area dependent on going through there

the basilisks in the Depths and the Great Hollow are both wide open

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    JihadJesus wrote:

you only need to kill the gargoyles to get to sen's fortress and any area dependent on going through there

I thought you couldn't get to the lower burg without getting the key after the gargoyle fight, and you have to in order to get to the depths. How do you get to the depths without fighting them?

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    I spent some time away from Dark Souls to knock a few other games off my plate before I get a ton more for Christmas, but I got back into it last night. I got through the Duke’s Archives and enough of the Crystal Cave to get the blue titanite slab. I was hoping that getting my Enchanted Balder Side Sword up to +5 would put it above my Lightning Spear +5, but it’s still 30-40 DMG lower. Maybe when I get my INT up a few more points it’ll finally surpass the spear.

Here are my stats and how many points I put into each (started as a pyro but became a sorcerer):

VIT 22 (+12)
    ATT 23 (+11)
    END 24 (+13)
    STR 16 (+4)
    DEX 14 (+5)
    RES 14 (+2)
    INT 36 (+26)
    FAI 8 (+0)

LVL 74, Chaos Servant Covenant, Silver Knight Shield +5, Enchanted Balder Side Sword +5, Lightning Spear +5, Sorcerer’s Catalyst, Ascended Flame +5, a mishmash of armor from Xanthous’ and Ornstein’s sets.

I’ve placed the Lordvessel and finished New Londo. I still have to finish the Crystal Caves, Catacombs, Tomb of the Giants, Demon Ruins, and Lost Izalith. I also haven’t messed with Gwyndolin and Priscilla yet. I’m starting to look ahead and make sure I do as much as I can before the endgame for trophy hunting purposes.

1. I know there will be some Covenants I cannot do on this first playthough (Darkwraith definitely), but before I beat the game I want to at least get the trophies for as many covenants as I can. It looks like I’d need to join the Gravlord Covenant before beating Nico, correct? Any more that can’t be done just prior to endgame?

2. The wiki claims that the amount of Faith needed to join the Warrior of Sunlight covenant changed from 50 to 25. Does it still get even lower from helping in co-op? My Faith is so low I’ll need all the help I can get joining this one.

3. Any other “Make sure you do X before Y” tips I should know? I still have most of my boss souls (used Quelaag’s to make the Furysword, I think that’s it) and every NPC is still alive (as far as I know). Chances are it’ll be a while before I attempt a NG+, so I’d like to get as much as I can in my one (possibly only) playthrough.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    JihadJesus wrote:
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    JihadJesus wrote:

I thought you couldn't get to the lower burg without getting the key after the gargoyle fight, and you have to in order to get to the depths. How do you get to the depths without fighting them?
    the key to the depths is on a body between the gate and the main church

and the great hollow doesn't require any keys at all, you can just go from the valley of drakes through blighttown

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    IF ONLY I COULD BE SO GLORIOUSLY INCANDESCENT

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    JihadJesus wrote:
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    JihadJesus wrote:

and the great hollow doesn't require any keys at all, you can just go from the valley of drakes through blighttown
    Okay I'm missing something here. There should be two key, one for the power burg and one for the depths. I'm almost certain Capra drops the depths key, so you must be talking about the key to the lower burg?

Actually checked the wiki and this is the case which is awesome. It'll suck grinding eyes without the serpent ring though.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    My PSN is cj_iwakura , by the by.
    Jolly co-operation. I still gotta finish NG+. By that I mean get to the Kiln and start PVPing hardcore.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Question:

Someone wants to buy me a Christmas gift and I was thinking Dark Souls, since I want it anyway. Amazon still has the Collector's Edition for $60, but they have the normal edition for $40. Is there really any good reason to get the Collector's Edition? I have so many art books and shit here from other games that I never look at. The soundtrack is nice, but it's download only right?

Basically I'm wondering if I'm really missing out on much by getting the non-Collector's Edition. And before someone says "eh but you're not paying for it anyway" I can suggest something else for the $20 difference (basically they gave me carte blanche to order whatever I want within a certain limit).

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The artbook is horrible. It's kindergarten style binding. It's not really worth the extra $20.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlan wrote:
    IF ONLY I COULD BE SO GLORIOUSLY INCANDESCENT

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra5FFVSNOrA

Enjoy.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    OK fuck the CE then. Thanks!

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Hopefully I can get back into this game during my vacation next week. I've been stuck at Sen's fortress since Thanksgiving. Since then work has been a little crazy and then life decided to throw me a few curve balls.

XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    It's really hard to get help in Sen's, because that takes ridiculous organization to keep everyone alive.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote:
    The artbook is horrible. It's kindergarten style binding. It's not really worth the extra $20.

Which is a shame, because the art itself is amazing

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote:
    My PSN is cj_iwakura , by the by.
    Jolly co-operation. I still gotta finish NG+. By that I mean get to the Kiln and start PVPing hardcore.

I am almost 100% certain that we have played together, either in opposition or cooperation.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
  • Options
    does anyone know if the dialog in Dark Souls is intentionally bizarre stream of consciousness poetry or just the product of bad translation?

either way I love it so much

• Options
    @skyknyt: Interesting. What's your PSN? I'd probably remember.
    DodgeBlan wrote:
    does anyone know if the dialog in Dark Souls is intentionally bizarre stream of consciousness poetry or just the product of bad translation?

From Software localized it themselves. I assume a little of both.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    My PSN is skyknyt.

Tycho wrote:
  • Options
    I was doing a lot of invading in Duke's Archives last time I played, could've been there. Great PVP ground.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    cj iwakura wrote:

Seconding this, I got the collectors edition and the artbook is disappointing, I lucked out and got the CE cheaper than the normal edition for some odd reason though. :)
    But I'd never pay 20, let alone 10 $ more for the CE.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote:
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    JihadJesus wrote:
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    JihadJesus wrote:

Okay I'm missing something here. There should be two key, one for the power burg and one for the depths. I'm almost certain Capra drops the depths key, so you must be talking about the key to the lower burg?

Actually checked the wiki and this is the case which is awesome. It'll suck grinding eyes without the serpent ring though.

Post patch the basilisks in the depths drop Eyes of Death like candy. Don't even worry about getting the serpent ring.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I havent played this for a while, and I'm about to get the last achievements, I need a Channelers Trident, 3 Souvenirs of Reprisal, Priscilla's dagger and Artorias Cursed Sword, I heard the drop rate on Reprisal thingies were upped, but I cant see by how much, the Wiki isnt helpful either.
    Hopefully they upped Tridents droprate too, because I've killed a boatload of those dudes with no luck whatsoever.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    So............I just started this game and was getting used to the controls and such when I happened upon two ghosts with scythes for hands that extend and pretty much kill me right away. I tried running past them and there were more and they killed me too.

Can I kill them? My sword doesn't seem to do shit and there are no hints around that I see! I'm in the 2nd area, and I went down.

• Options
    that's not where you need to be yet

you can kill them if you are cursed or have used a transient curse item, though

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote:
    @skyknyt: Interesting. What's your PSN? I'd probably remember.
    DodgeBlan wrote:

From Software localized it themselves. I assume a little of both.

That could explain why it is understood by shoe who are worthy.

• Options
    Nerdgasmic wrote:

Oh.....well.........shit. I have no idea any of those things you are saying. :)

• Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    You should add the hardcore trailer to the OP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJOkBTpSzV0

Gets me so hyped.

Anyway, I'm smeej on XBL if anyone ever wants to team up. I've got a level 80ish guy in NG+ just past S&O. Other than that, I can level up a new guy and be pretty much anywhere with little notice. Gonna go make my first sunbro.

Has anyone ever put together a loose list of estimated level ranges for various bosses, for maximum teamwork? I always feel too low level to get summoned.

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote:
    JihadJesus wrote:
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    JihadJesus wrote:
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    JihadJesus wrote:

Post patch the basilisks in the depths drop Eyes of Death like candy. Don't even worry about getting the serpent ring.
    Oh Ive farmed up plenty for my current character; I need one more to max the covenant. I'd say they drop about 3 eyes per run on average with 410 item find. Not sure what the drop off would be without the ring, though.

• Options
    Got the limited/collector's myself, but thats only because it was the one that the UK got by default if you bought it when it first came out. Not sure if that happened elsewhere, pretty good though.

Also blue slabs, do they drop from the butterflies in the crystal cave?

• Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    Gamestop did the auto-Collector's Edition if you bought it new in the U.S., anyway.

Yeah, the butterflies drop Blue Slabs. Not fun to farm those guys tho. I think they autoloot now, at least.

Also, got a level 30 sunbro now. Is the Chaos Witch a good boss to help people at for a while?

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    One thing I have been wondering about. In the opening cinematic there is the "furtive pygmy".

Does that thing become the
    heart of chaos under the bed or is it something else?

• Options
    One thing I have been wondering about. In the opening cinematic there is the "furtive pygmy".

Does that thing become the
    heart of chaos under the bed or is it something else?
    no,
    the Bed of Chaos is the Witch of Izalith's botched attempt at making another First Flame

if you want to find more out about the pygmy without too many spoilers, join the Darkwraiths

• Options
    DrunkMc wrote:
    Nerdgasmic wrote:

Oh.....well.........shit. I have no idea any of those things you are saying. :)

Wow, so I just read the walkthrough and apparently where I am, there are three ways to go. Two out of three will lead to horrible horrible death...

This game seems mean! :) I really want to get into it though and start killing some shit!

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Best advice without spoiling much is to keep going up. Also, when you get to a bridge after beating a boss, run along the right.

• Options
    Awesome, thanks! Perfectly helpful and spoiler free!

This discussion has been closed.