As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 12/21/11: Layer, Fold An' Hold

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Graphic Violence
Uncanny X-Force #19, Deadpool is insightful and Fantomex puts Wolverine in his place:

xforceuncanny19a.jpg

xforceuncanny19c.jpg

xforceuncanny19d.jpg

Batman #4 continues to be the best DC book, as Capullo experiments with a flashback style that is beautiful, as we see Bruce trying to be the world's greatest detective as a kid. Keith said it best that Snyder is writing a mature version of BTAS, and the last page reveal really exemplifies that.

batman4a.jpg

so lil' Bruce looks into his families friends and tries to put together things that lead him to a house formerly used as a meet up place for socialites.

batman4b.jpg

batman4c.jpg

Generation Hope #14, Martha gets a new body, and Jin Billion is basically what the Hellfire Kids should have been, I can't stop reading his lines like he was the Donger from Sixteen Candles.

generationhope14b.jpg

generationhope14e.jpg

generationhope14f.jpg

generationhope14g.jpg

And Transformers: Death of Optimus Prime sets the stage for the relaunch

transformersdeathofoptimus1b.jpg

transformersdeathofoptimus1c.jpg

TexiKen on

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    this is a fucking awesome week for comics

nice picks, Texi!

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    wait, so is Kid Apocalypse actually going to join the WaXM cast? because that is a fantastic idea.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Ultimate Comic Spider-Man #5 was fantastic.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    wait, so is Kid Apocalypse actually going to join the WaXM cast? because that is a fantastic idea.

Yeah it is

Solar on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Fear Itself: The Fearless is shaping up to be a pretty damn great story. Hope Cullen Bunn will write other Marvel titles after he's finished with this one even though he's just scripting the issues and Fraction/Yost are developing the overall story.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 5 is a great payoff for the origin arc. Miles faces his first super villian, shows off his new powers and even attempts to banter (which feels different than Peter's banter)
    eadkK.jpg
    q23lN.jpg

Wolverine and the X-Men 3, great splash page showing the current cast, also with a spoilerific new member.
    Kroaka joins them (well it's a genetically modified grandchild)
    Lrksw.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man 676 was done really well, with Slott respecting pretty much of all of the Sinister's Six' previous characterizations. Cool guys don't look at explosions
    oAHWu.jpg

Justice League 4, continues to be a great "blockbuster" book, and does a good job of showing off Aquaman.
    0Tz9M.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I picked up twelve comics today (first time in three weeks), and I'm kind of stupefied where to start.

JIM 632, Tbolts 167, DD 7 (With my favorite cover ever), The Ray 1, The Shade 3, Venom 10 & 11, Hulk 45 & 46, OMAC 4, Legion of Monsters 3, and The Activity 1.

Crimsondude on
    Man that is some stupid writing in Justice League.
    Hal's a dick for no other reason than to give Aquaman a chance to show off. Seriously, how stupid would Hal have to be to say "You know what, we don't need another super strong person who can fly to help us defeat this army of space demons!" And why don't any of the other heroes tell him to shut up and stop being a dick? Unless they're just fine with people being dicks to strangers for no reason? Ugh.

• RansRans Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Hal's a dick for no other reason than to give Aquaman a chance to show off. Seriously, how stupid would Hal have to be to say "You know what, we don't need another super strong person who can fly to help us defeat this army of space demons!" And why don't any of the other heroes tell him to shut up and stop being a dick? Unless they're just fine with people being dicks to strangers for no reason? Ugh.
    and it's not like Aquaman refuted Hal's point, no matter how dickish it may be. He still can't do anything that the others couldn't do just as well. Superman could have flown out there and dealt with the whole army at superspeed. Hal could have made giant sharks jump out of the water and eat them. Wonder Woman could have sliced the big one in half with her sword.

Aquaman is awful and now that he's Johns' new pet character he's even more awful. At least if J'onn was still a founding member he would have brought something unique to the party.

Rans on
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Um did you read the book?
    Aquaman just showed up and told everyone that he should be their leader and Green Lantern has been a dick the whole time.

Quire.jpg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Centipede, you comment a lot on how awful Johns' books are when I know you don't buy any of them

the context in that scene is that Aquaman says "Hey you guys don't have a leader and I am literally a King and have a lot of experience with this, let me take charge." He even lays out a pretty good plan

then Hal flips out and is an asshole, which he has been for the entire arc, and Aquaman does that. Hell there is even a scene where Hal accidently touches Diana's lasso and admits that he does most of the things he does because he is trying to impress people.

CYpGAPn.png
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Centipede, you comment a lot on how awful Johns' books are when I know you don't buy any of them

the context in that scene is that Aquaman says "Hey you guys don't have a leader and I am literally a King and have a lot of experience with this, let me take charge." He even lays out a pretty good plan

then Hal flips out and is an asshole, which he has been for the entire arc, and Aquaman does that. Hell there is even a scene where Hal accidently touches Diana's lasso and admits that he does most of the things he does because he is trying to impress people.

And that was wonderful.

I'm not a huge DC fan, but I'm loving JL. And I'm all for taking Hal down a notch or six.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    Justice League is starting to feel like Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-men to me. For better or for worse.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Haven't gotten to even reading the stack yet, but so far, that X-Factor cover is great!
    x_factor_229_cover_by_davidyardin-d4h0lu1.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Hahaha, that's great.

• Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    My god, WatXM is now going to have Genesis (Kid Apocalypse), Kid Omega, AND Kid Gladiator? That's not even fair to the other x-books.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    And
    Krakoa

• Hello WaterfaceHello Waterface Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller In the timbers of FennarioRegistered User regular
    I am so all about Kid Krakoa being in that book.

Welcome to Miami Beach, ladies and gentlemen. Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Please take my advice.
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Also, Matt Murdock sues the Hellfire kids for 879 Million dollars on behalf of the Jean Grey School.

Well my moment of the week was getting my secret sentry gift in the form of half the contents of an average comic shop in a box, courtesy of Tex, who is the best.

However in terms of stuff I bought, the X-comics knocked it out of the park this week, Gen Hope, Uncanny X-Force and WatXM were all great. I'm very glad that I let @Balefuego persuade me into buying the X-comics after Schism, because it's really been worth it.

Of the comics I read yesterday, Tbolts was probably my favorite moment for the shift in Satana's appearance on page 9. She goes from creepily devouring the spirit with a demonic tongue, then Dec draws her touching down on the street with this fearsome appearance. But the last shot is actually kind of adorable.

• Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Wonder Woman is filled with awful/great puns this week.

Burden of Proof on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Why did Fantomex spill the drink on his head?

Maihack Xmas gift!
    tumblrlwif5vue6k1qarjq8o11280.jpg

I need this to become a series somehow, they are great.

His Supergirl is great.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    picked up Death of Optimus Prime, along with Animal Man 1-4 and Swamp Thing 1-4

everything was super

seriously, guys, pick up Death, it has some really neat moments, including Prowl briefly going back to his conniving self from previous issues, the characterization that Roche and Roberts developed and Costa wrote against.
    Thousands of non-aligned Transformers were protesting against the Autobots, practically calling for blood, wanting them to leave the planet because the civil war ruined Cybertron. Prowl had put I/D chips in the captured Decepticons after the Autobots won the war. Bumblebee told Optimus that they were for Identification purposes...but the I/D stands for Inhibitor, which stops them from using their alternate modes and weaponry, while the Deterrence part meant that they could be remotely detonated if they did anything funny. Prowl let the 200 imprisoned Decepticons out, helping the Autobots beat back the violent crowd in exchange for freedom of movement.

Antimatter on
    Kyougu wrote:

He absorbs drinks through his head, I think

He also has anti-telepathy plates in his mask, so he is really paranoid of taking it off and someone messing with his mind.

Basically, Fantomex has a drinking problem.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Daredevil #7; Matt Murdock hosts a trip for a group of blind students, and must shepherd them to safety when their bus crashes in the Catskill mountains. The problem? It's snowing, and he can't "see" two feet in front of him.
    4fj4G.jpg
    Matt Murdock: LIAR

Thunderbolts #167; the escapees discern the true identity of Jack the Ripper, and Boomerang has a bad day.
    9zCZV.jpg
    You'd really think Fixer would be more sensitive to this kind of thing.

UjYYP.jpg
    I liked this. It's good to have an occasional reminder that not all supervillains are okay with hacking an innocent woman to death.

X-Factor #229; Jamie Madrox awakens to find himself in a world that is not his own. On the plus side, he inherits some cool new superpowers.
    qAfAU.jpg

Munch on
    HADOUKEN!

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    RE: Ultimate Spider-man

Is Jessica wearing heels? Wow she's really getting into the whole "girl thing".

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote:
    RE: Ultimate Spider-man

Is Jessica wearing heels? Wow she's really getting into the whole "girl thing".

Obviously this is just a theory but I imagine the female clone of a guy with all his memories would consciously or subconscious gravitate to traditionally female forms and activities or dress as a way of building her own identity. Grasping at female stereotypes in particular because its the only difference she has at the beginning.

Quire.jpg
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Probably helps when the "original" you is dead now.

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    Kyougu wrote:

He absorbs drinks through his head, I think

He also has anti-telepathy plates in his mask, so he is really paranoid of taking it off and someone messing with his mind.

I thought that was a great sequence, but man, that really confused me.

So finally got to sit and plow thru the stack, wow this was an insanely good week.

Daredevil, I not sure how long, but I noticed by the final pages I had been holding my breath in worry/anticipation.

X Factor, so nice to see all those seeds planted over the last few years are still coming around, and not being just forgotten story dangles.
    And I hope
    Madrox keeps the power upgrade when he returns, I could see them having real fun with that in the title, like Madrox luck giving him the worst possible powers for any given situation, so he ends up only trying to Dupe when around Longshot or something.

Uncanny X-Force and WatXM, were both amazing this week, I am so stoked for the new cast additions of,
    Krakoa jr and Supermapocalypse. Kid Gladiator was great too

Ultimate 5 , like how other's had said, was worrying me with it's slow burn, but holy cow they put pedal to the metal and blew this issue out of the water, will definately be a great end point for the first TPB.
    Altho, I have noticed Miles has picked up the video game default!
    ( I've yet to play a spider-man game where Electro wasn't the first Villian heh)

Thunderbolt's time adventure's are so good too, I hope they never return to our timeline and just keep being wacky.

But, wow what a week, and so glad other's posted a lot of these moments since I couldn't this week.

Is that a Brood kid in WatXM?

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    so, my moment of the week was reading through all three trades of The Unwritten, on Balefuego's recommendation.

Are people talking about this comic? Do we have a thread about it?

Shit damn, there should be.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The Unwritten is amazing

CYpGAPn.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I really usually do not get into the art part of comics, they just serve to move the plot along, but god damn

the unwritten is beautiful.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Langly wrote:
    so, my moment of the week was reading through all three trades of The Unwritten, on Balefuego's recommendation.

Are people talking about this comic? Do we have a thread about it?

Shit damn, there should be.

The fourth one came out just recently so you know.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!