As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

pro[chat]ting

OrganichuOrganichu poopspeesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited December 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
(this thread is mod approved)

programming refers to the process of designing, debugging, maintaining etc the source code of computer programs. it is done by people like this:

nerds-13814.jpg

[chat]ting refers to the communal joking, arguing, sniping, sexing, herping, derping, and socialization of a bunch of internet people. coincidentally, i have a group portrait on hand of our [chat] community:

nerds-3.jpg

there's… a bit of overlap

on some real talk though programming rulesssssssssss

i still have (i think) the first program i ever wrote! before i knew anything about modulo!
#include <math.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main (int argc, const char * argv[])
{

int sum1 = 0;
    int sum2 = 0;
    int sum3 = 0;
    int total;

for (int i = 3; i < 1000; i=i+3)
        sum1 = sum1 + i;

for (int i = 5; i < 1000; i=i+5)
        sum2 = sum2 + i;

for(int i = 15; i < 1000; i=i+15)
        sum3 = sum3 + i;

total = (int)sum1 + (int)sum2 - (int)sum3;

printf("The sum of all natural multiples of three (%d) and five (%d) through 1,000, excepting \n overlap from common multiples (%d) is %d.\n", sum1, sum2, sum3, total);

return 0;
}

now it's six months later and i'm writing an interactive scrabble helper type application!

so talk about variables and typecasting and finite math… or, i don't know. talk about boobs and french films, like usual.

on some real talk, mods ain't happy about how y'all have been acting. since will has been, like, programming stuff and doing bar trivia, kosh does a lot of the modding in this forum by himself. he was angry at what happened today and next time (let there not be a next time, neckbeards!) it might take him more than a few hours to decompress from all the stress this thread gives him. please just be nice!

Organichu on

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Has anyone seen Big Love

is it worth watching

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    System.out.println("Yay!");

Cutethulhu continues to be on the move. Whether he's actually left New Zealand yet or not is rather vague, but still, excitement!

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    yesss let's be excellent

also doggs I made my first non chat thread in like years

go post in it

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote:
    Has anyone seen Big Love

is it worth watching

s'alright. The family dynamic is pretty interesting, and Ginnifer Goodwin is adorable.

After the drama and stakes are amped up a bit in the later seasons, though, I lost interest a little.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    yesss let's be excellent

go post in it

best peeps of 2011
    387441_578520593247_31601869_32094092_720797608_n.jpg

I am not in that pic :(

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote:
    Has anyone seen Big Love

is it worth watching

s'alright. The family dynamic is pretty interesting, and Ginnifer Goodwin is adorable.

After the drama and stakes are amped up a bit in the later seasons, though, I lost interest a little.

I borrowed the first season off my sister while she's on her honeymoon, but I keep delaying watching it because of things like re-watching early Dexter

might start it in the post-Christmas lull

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote:
    best peeps of 2011

I think you posted the wrong pic. I'm not on it.

sig.gif
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    good lord eddy looks smug

i love it so much

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I'm going to be in the minority here and say that Mission Impossible 4 was disappointing and didn't even come close to living up to its hype. If I wanted to watch a Roger Moore-era James Bond movie, I would've watched a Roger Moore-era James Bond movie.

nibXTE7.png
    I'm going to be in the minority here and say that Mission Impossible 4 was disappointing and didn't even come close to living up to its hype. If I wanted to watch a Roger Moore-era James Bond movie, I would've watched a Roger Moore-era James Bond movie.

ugh

who wants to watch that

And if I wanted a minority report, I'd watch Minority Report.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I'm not really sure but I think the impossible mission was to make a movie solely out of plot holes.

nibXTE7.png
    edited December 2011
    Also

Mission Impossible 1:
    They get disavowed and have to clear their names by breaking into shit

Mission Impossible 2: We don't talk about Mission Impossible 2.

Mission Impossible 3:

Mission Impossible 4:

You'd think they'd get it right by now. Or at least find an employer that doesn't fucking throw them to the wolves the first time someone farts in an elevator.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    I'm not really sure but I think the impossible mission was to make a movie solely out of plot holes.

This could be so meta.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    It's a woodland critter Christmas miracle!

Hail Satan!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I'm proud to say that I haven't seen any Mission Impossible except the original.

sig.gif
    Also

Mission Impossible 1:

Mission Impossible 2: We don't talk about Mission Impossible 2.

Mission Impossible 3:

Mission Impossible 4:

You'd think they'd get it right by now. Or at least find an employer that doesn't fucking throw them to the wolves the first time someone farts in an elevator.

It's kinda similar to how quite a few Star Trek films:
    Require the crew to disobey orders and effectively go rogue for a while.
    It's like a cultural thing in American cinema.

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote:
    yesss let's be excellent

go post in it

best peeps of 2011

A group of good looking people.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2011
    is it the first one where

(something on a train)
    there is like a dueling series of pulling off masks to show double-betrayals

Organichu on
    Richy wrote:
    I'm proud to say that I haven't seen any Mission Impossible except the original.

Stay pure Richy. The only reason to watch 2 was if you somehow hadn't heard how bad 2 was. The only reason to watch 3 was because it was supposed to be an apology for sitting through 2.

nibXTE7.png
    I'm surprised that the franchise has made it to four films, even though the only thing anyone remembers about the source material is the theme song.

Richy wrote:

The only MI episode I saw was one where:
    The guy they're after is safely holed up in a nuclear bunker, so they fake a nuclear holocaust to trick him into coming out.

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Organichu wrote:
    is it the first one where

(something on a train)
    there is like a dueling series of pulling off masks to show double-betrayals

Yep.

nibXTE7.png
    I'm surprised that the franchise has made it to four films, even though the only thing anyone remembers about the source material is the theme song.

Did you know that it was made by the same studios (and at the same time) that made Star Trek?

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Mim wrote:
    So It Goes wrote:
    yesss let's be excellent

go post in it

best peeps of 2011

A group of good looking people.

What? Where?

vRyue2p.png
    Richy wrote:

The guy they're after is safely holed up in a nuclear bunker, so they fake a nuclear holocaust to trick him into coming out.

Wouldn't that be a reason to stay in?

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    oh wow i do look smug there!

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

Haha yeah, you're all "UNC just gave UK a thorough thrashing"

oh wait

vRyue2p.png
    Richy wrote:

Wouldn't that be a reason to stay in?

I think his reasoning is that after such a thing nobody would be looking for him, and he'd need to stock up on supplies eventually so no time like the present!

steady as she goes!

Hmm, Christmas Day is going to be metaphorically tropical: 10°C!

maybe I should go watch a movie

what do you think

who wants to come over and watch a movie :(

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    maybe I should go watch a movie

what do you think

who wants to come over and watch a movie :(

I wanna watch a movie

I wanted to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, but I couldn't because of finals.

And now I'm in IL with my parents, far away from any theaters that might be showing the film

okay let's do it

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

Haha yeah, you're all "UNC just gave UK a thorough thrashing"

oh wait

you don't really know me very well do you?

I wanna see Sherlock Holmes 2, but I'm saving it for when I'm over in Manchester during Christmas week.

I wanted to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, but I couldn't because of finals.

And now I'm in IL with my parents, far away from any theaters that might be showing the film

Where in IL?

nibXTE7.png
This discussion has been closed.