As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    I make egg sammiches: 6-8 eggs (mixed with crushed red pepper + pinch of salt) between two slices of toast, plus one slice of cheese and some ketchup; microwaved for ~1 minute after frying to really melt the cheese onto the egg. The ketchup helps to keep it from being too dry.

• BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Thanks to the discussion on breathing a few pages back while I was squatting I thought about how/when to take my breaths today too much. Long story short I ended up accidentally doing the valsava too hard and passing out during my last rep.

Borommakot on
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    I had the same problem as you, I found that scrambled is the way to go. Put some hot sauce and pepper in it and just shovel it down. It's the least eggy way to eat egg and it's also the quickest way to cook them.

Yeah this is the truth. I like some chili powder on there but scrambled is the way to go.

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    290 squatted for three.

Go eat shit, hangover and six hours of sleep.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Eggs?

Quiche Lorraine! You can put a shitload of bacon in there too.

• Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    I like to put buffalo sauce in my eggs.

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    big l wrote:
    I had the same problem as you, I found that scrambled is the way to go. Put some hot sauce and pepper in it and just shovel it down. It's the least eggy way to eat egg and it's also the quickest way to cook them.

Yeah this is the truth. I like some chili powder on there but scrambled is the way to go.

Yes. Scrambled, chili powder, pepper, onions, green bell pepper, tapatio on top. Heavenly.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Borommakot wrote:
    Thanks to the discussion on breathing a few pages back while I was squatting I thought about how/when to take my breaths today too much. Long story short I ended up accidentally doing the valsava too hard and passing out during my last rep.

How many reps?

I've never heard of someone having as many problems breathing during squats. What is your history of physical activity?

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I really thought I was going to see a guy hurt himself today. He was sort of RDLing, in that he was loading the bar on a rack and walking out with it, but he was letting the weight down BANG and then letting it sit there for a second or two before he pulled it back up with the most terrifying, hitching, jerky form I've seen in a while. That isn't ever good but he had 500 or a bit more on the bar. Part of my head was saying "good for you, I can't get that off the ground any which way" and the other 99% was completely D:

• RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    Squatted 100lbs 4*8 and felt good. Then I saw a youtube video of a 9 year old girl squatting 200.

A duck! wrote:
    As for bodybuilding routines, I did days of:
    Legs/Back (pulls)
    Chest/Biceps
    Deadlifts
    Shoulders (presses)/Biceps
    Legs/Triceps

Worked pretty well.

Was this consecutive, or were there off-days scheduled inbetween?

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Squatted 100lbs 4*8 and felt good. Then I saw a youtube video of a 9 year old girl squatting 200.

Wow really? That's impressive.

• ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    How much...did the girl weigh?

"Be excellent to each other."
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    Squatted 405#x5x5 today. It didn't feel too tough while doing it but now I'm home and I have no ice cream and am getting dope fiend jitters. My whole body is sore and hurts and my body is saying "Ice cream will help! Ice cream will help!". I have to go to the store.

• King NadaKing Nada Registered User regular
    I had a hankering for ice cream today as well. I only squatted 285x3 though.

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    big l wrote:
    Squatted 405#x5x5 today. It didn't feel too tough while doing it but now I'm home and I have no ice cream and am getting dope fiend jitters. My whole body is sore and hurts and my body is saying "Ice cream will help! Ice cream will help!". I have to go to the store.

You gotta do it. Got to feed the squat hunger.

Ice cream and chilli will fix you up

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Yeah I've tried boiling, scrambling and frying eggs over the years, and the one method that seems to be the easiest to handle is scrambled, at least for me. Mix it with something that doesn't taste like egg (like a sauce), and just slide 'er down the gullet.

big l wrote:

Two days a week call for a 30-45min recover between my sprinting/plyos and lifting so I head over to the nearby icecream place and pound down a 16oz chocolate malt.

On days that I don't my lifting actually suffers.

• JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    There was some research study I read that found that the taste of something sweet (whether ingested or not) before/during exercise contributed positively to exertion. Wish I could find a link to it..

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    best way to cook eggs is over easy

with hashbrowns and bacon and toast

throw some tabasco on the eggs and hashbrowns, ketchup on the hashbrowns, mix it all up so it looks like dog barf and chow the fuck down

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    I tried to use fitday again today and got as far as it requiring the weight of the eggs I ate rather than being able to say "6 eggs".

I was excited as hell to snatch off blocks again today, hoping to have a 3rd straight week of PRs, but bar speed was just not where it needed to be once I got up to 175, so I cut it back 10 lbs and just hammered out some sets. Blargh.

The sprint workout I did before and the massive day I had a few days ago that I'm still reeling from probably had something to do with it, but I wanted to get over bodyweight for reps so goddamn badly.

Do you full snatch or power snatch?

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Sweet gym pickup lines

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
    I tried to use fitday again today and got as far as it requiring the weight of the eggs I ate rather than being able to say "6 eggs".

Well, were they quail eggs or ostrich eggs?

Jyardana wrote:
    big l wrote:

Two days a week call for a 30-45min recover between my sprinting/plyos and lifting so I head over to the nearby icecream place and pound down a 16oz chocolate malt.

On days that I don't my lifting actually suffers.

During my first run at smolov I ate everything in sight. More ice cream than I've done in my life.

End of base cycle - had lost 3kg.

I've gotta say, this is a great time of year for bulking. Just eggnog and cookies and mounds of cooked meat as far as the eye can see.

Peen wrote:
    I've gotta say, this is a great time of year for bulking. Just eggnog and cookies and mounds of cooked meat as far as the eye can see.

You eat more in the winter because of vestigial biological responses to shorter days, according to this NPR piece.

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Well, I'm in Arizona now. I have a guest pass at rather large gym over here and have been putting in two-a-days. Being that I have not been in the gym for about 4-5 months due to an injury, ALL of my lifts have dropped considerably. The most noticeable is my bench press, primarily because I'm still not 100% healed.

My squat has gone from 275# x 5, to 225# x 5.

My bench has gone from a 275# max or 225# x 10, to 175# x 6 and 205# x 3.

I can't do pull ups and I can't do deadlifts, cleans, or anything that requires wrist and forearm strength.

Slider wrote:
    My bench has gone from a 275# max or 225# x 10, to 175# x 6 and 205# x 3.
    Slider wrote:
    I can't do...anything that requires wrist and forearm strength.

?

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    For some reason, I can push a bar off my chest, but I can't raise or clean it.

Using different muscles, I guess.

• ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    I don't think that benching is heavy on the wrist/forearm work anyways.

I mean, they're present, but aren't really stressed

"Be excellent to each other."
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Yeah, I had a forearm injury from reverse curls in November, but I could bench and press just fine.

Do you full snatch or power snatch?

Power snatch. My hips only drop a couple of inches on the catch

Today's session. Posting to illustrate what a mad fucking Ruskie Boris Sheiko was:
    • Squats

1 x 8 x 20kg
      1 x 5 x 60kg
      1 x 5 x 80kg
      1 x 3 x 100kg
      1 x 5 x 110kg
      1 x 4 x 130kg
      2 x 3 x 150kg
      5 x 2 x 170kg (B)
    • Bench

1 x 10 x 20kg
      1 x 3 x 60kg
      1 x 5 x 65kg
      1 x 4 x 80kg
      2 x 3 x 90kg
      6 x 3 x 105kg
    • DB Flies

5 x 10 x 30lb
    • Squats

1 x 5 x 100kg
      1 x 5 x 120kg
      1 x 3 x 140kg (B)
      1 x 8 x 140kg (B)
      1 x 5 x 140kg (B)
      1 x 9 x 140kg (B)
      1 x 4 x 140kg (B)
      1 x 7 x 140kg (B)
      1 x 2 x 140kg (B)
      1 x 6 x 140kg (B)
    • Assistance

Tricep extensions - 5 x 10 x ?
      DB curls - 5 x 10 x 25lb
      Good mornings - 5 x 5 x 60kg

Really looking forward to a deload over christmas.

• SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Hey weightlifting thread! I have a question for you guys. I've been on the StrongLifts program for about 14 weeks now (up to the 3x5 part) and I just found out about Starting Strength about a week ago. I noticed the main exercise difference is powercleans instead of barbell rows. I've seen considerable progress with SL but I'm wondering if I should stop with rows in favor of powercleans or just stick with the program I'm on since I'm still a novice?

For reference, if it matters, my current working weights are:
    Squats: 270 lbs
    Deadlifts: 310 lbs
    Bench Press: 180 lbs
    Overheads: 100 lbs
    Rows: 125 lbs

And I'm 5'8" about 190 pounds.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
    Well, there's a definitely technique difficulty difference between power cleans and rows. I guess in the end it would just depend on whether or not you feel you really need to train that specific movement (for a sport, aesthetic value, etc.). I don't really see any reason that they should be mutually exclusive -- iirc, there's really nothing about BB rows that would preclude you from doing them along with power cleans (especially if they're on different days).

• SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    My only real goal is to get stronger and look better (motivation comes from being an insomniac and not sleeping well without heavy exercise). I guess whichever workout will help better with that is the one I'd rather do.

I'm currently doing:
    Workout A
    Squats
    Bench press
    Rows

Workout B
    Squats
    Overhead press
    Deadlifts

And alternate those MWF. If I were to learn how to power clean, would it make sense to add them to the deadlift day?

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
This discussion has been closed.