As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Hobbit] Rough cut is in the wild!

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    His Valar form almost made it in the movie and he was a glowing blue angel thing. Yuck. Instead they used The Mouth of Sauron.
    Is there like, any images of this form?

t5qfc9.jpg
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Zzulu wrote:
    Cantido wrote:
    His Valar form almost made it in the movie and he was a glowing blue angel thing. Yuck. Instead they used The Mouth of Sauron.

Annatar.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauron#Adaptations

Hedgethorn on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    When would they have been able to use that? Maybe in the prologue where they're explaining the backstory?

Lh96QHG.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    But even then *puts on nerd glasses* Sauron hadn't looked like that since the fall of Numenor, a long time before the trilogy (but perhaps not before the rings were given out, it's been a while since I read the Simirillion).

Lh96QHG.png
  • edited December 2011
    There weren't any humans in that trailer.

Really? I don't remember The Hobbit that well, I was about 12 when I read it. One of the dudes looked kinda taller so I assumed he was a human. I think it's something about the facial hair, it just doesn't look real to me.

godelsrotatinguniverse on

Really? I don't remember The Hobbit that well, I was about 12 when I read it. One of the dudes looked kinda taller so I assumed he was a human.

They don't meet proper humans until they get to Laketown (Beorn doesn't count). Wherein we shall see Stephen Fry as the Master of Laketown.

Lh96QHG.png
  • There weren't any humans in that trailer.

Really? I don't remember The Hobbit that well, I was about 12 when I read it. One of the dudes looked kinda taller so I assumed he was a human.

They don't meet proper humans until they get to Laketown (Beorn doesn't count). Wherein we shall see Stephen Fry as the Master of Laketown.

Well they still look sort of weird to me, in any case. Like people with prosthetics on. Though of course this might come out in the 48fps wash.

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    I'm so excited to see Sylvester McCoy as Radagast. My favourite Doctor in LOTR is gonna be great.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

QI: hobbit edition.

"What is the name of the river near the Shire?" Davies buzzes in with "Brandywine".

• 815165 wrote:
    I'm so excited to see Sylvester McCoy as Radagast. My favourite Doctor in LOTR is gonna be great.

Holy shit for real? That's amazing.

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    So, my girlfriend hadn't seen LotR, so we watched the series over last weekend. I've seen it so many times, but Sam's "but I can carry you" gets me every time. I think I'm just conditioned to get choked up by Sean Astin since Rudy :p

Of course, in the books, Sam can totally carry the Ring, and does. He even kicks ass with it.

Really, in the books, the One Ring is a lot more fun to have around. I can understand why it was changed to be something nobody should ever use in the movies, but in the books they used it pretty often.

I'm looking forward to the Ring not being fully "awake" yet for the Hobbit movies, so we can see some invisible hijinks.

Yeah I know its a departure, I just thought the whole scene worked really well.

Seeing it more often in the hobbit will be great.

PAD ID - 328,762,218

QI: hobbit edition.

"What is the name of the river near the Shire?" Davies buzzes in with "Brandywine".

I will give you $Texas to make this happen.

Lh96QHG.png
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    When would they have been able to use that? Maybe in the prologue where they're explaining the backstory?

During filming, the plan was that Aragorn would fight Maia-Sauron mano-a-mano in front of the Black Gate. During production, they CGI'd the cave troll in instead.

And yes, according to the mythology, Sauron wasn't able to take on that fair form after the fall of Nuemenor, at the end of the Second Age (which was after the forging of the Rings of Power, but before the War of the Last Alliance between Elves and Men).

Hedgethorn on
    Hedgethorn wrote:

During filming, the plan was that Aragorn would fight Maia-Sauron mano-a-mano in front of the Black Gate. During production, they CGI'd the cave troll in instead.

And yes, according to the mythology, Sauron wasn't able to take on that fair form after the fall of Nuemenor, at the end of the Second Age (which was after the forging of the Rings of Power, but before the War of the Last Alliance between Elves and Men.

There but for the grace of god, eh?

Lh96QHG.png
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I couldn't imagine seeing Sauron as anything other than a sick, twisted mockery of his maia form. He is evil with a capital E after all.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Isn't that technically Morgoth?

Fencingsax wrote:
    Isn't that technically Morgoth?

I'm not sure who you're referring to, but Morgoth aka Melkor was one of the Valar, the "lesser gods" in Tolkien's cosmology (below the One God, Illuvatar). Sauron aka Mairon was one of the Maiar, the "angels."

Sauron fell in with Morgoth and was his chief lieutenant during the First Age. After Morgoth was defeated and cast out of the world by Illuvatar and the other Valar, Sauron became the big baddy of the Second and Third Ages, until he was finally destroyed by Frodo casting the One Ring into Mount Doom.

• gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    As a fellow (somewhat former) huge Tolkien nerd, drenched in all the lore available and somewhat versed in Quenya, I'll just verify that Hedgethorn is right on the money and the thread is in good hands, lore-wise. Carry on, Hedgethorn. :^:

edited December 2011
    gilrain wrote:
    As a fellow (somewhat former) huge Tolkien nerd, drenched in all the lore available and somewhat versed in Quenya, I'll just verify that Hedgethorn is right on the money and the thread is in good hands, lore-wise. Carry on, Hedgethorn. :^:

Thanks. I'm about 10 years past being a huge Tolkien nerd -- I waded through nearly the entire History of Middle Earth series during my first two years of college, and I even had the opportunity to take a college seminar on The Silmarillion. I haven't read any of it in years, but it's still somewhere in the back of my head ready to spring forth at a moment's notice.

I never did study Tolkien's languages, though. Being able to read Latin (which I actually use in my work) is plenty for me.

Hedgethorn on
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    this seems like a good enough place to ask, then: did Sauron still have some kind of physical form while LoTR is going on? I was never really clear on that.

Edit: Beyond the eye, I mean.

glithert on
    My memory is that the books aren't wholly clear on this point, but that the most natural reading is that (contrary to Jackson's films) Sauron did have a physical form throughout the LoTR. The most specific the books get, IIRC, is Gollum mentioning something about Sauron's hand after having been tortured in Barad-Dur.

The one thing that is clear is that Sauron is no longer able to take on the "fair" form he used during the Second Age to fool the elves and the Nuemenoreans. After he got sucked down in the giant whirlpool that destroyed Nuemenor at the end of the Second Age, his angelic appearance was lost. He was clearly able to retake a physical form after this point -- he had it during the battle with Elendil, Gil-Galad, and Isilduir (as shown in the prologue to Jackson's Fellowship) -- but for some unspecified reason he could no longer hide the fact that he was a fallen angel.

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    What was Saurons endgame? Domination for dominations sake?

t5qfc9.jpg
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Hedgethorn wrote:
    Zzulu wrote:
    Cantido wrote:

Annatar.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauron#Adaptations

*nerd glasses* That's not his Valar form, that's his form as Annatar, the Lord of Gifts, which is what he appeared as to the elves when he taught them how to make rings of power. Which would be appropriate to show if they were giving more extensive backstory on the rings.

And it's not so much that he couldn't take that form anymore, but he wouldn't be able to fool anyone with it. So he would appear all angelic and nice but you would feel horrible dread and animals would freak out and whatnot.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    I thought Sauron was just p.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Zzulu wrote:

Basically yes. He wants to control all Middle earth and his two main plans were using the rings to control their wearers, (who were all important men/dwarves/elves I think) and when that didn't work because the Elves outsmarted him, the dwarves went nice ring and added them to their treasure piles and the men turned into wraiths which really don't inspire people to follow them because who wants to obey a shadow?), the follow up plan was to build up a massive armed force and simply kill everyone who didn't worship him. Which also failed horribly. 4 times.

GaryO on
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    GaryO wrote:
    Zzulu wrote:

Basically yes. He wants to control all Middle earth and his two main plans were using the rings to control their wearers, (who were all important men/dwarves/elves I think) and when that didn't work because the Elves outsmarted him, the dwarves went nice ring and added them to their treasure piles and the men turned into wraiths which really don't inspire people to follow them because who wants to obey a shadow?), the follow up plan was to build up a massive armed force and simply kill everyone who didn't worship him. Which also failed horribly. 4 times.

The New York Times bestseller: Going Rogue: a Mordor Life by Sauron McEvileye.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    Sauron is all about order and control. He wants everything to run in nice mechanical fashion with himself in unquestioned control and mastery of it all.

midshipman.jpg
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    Okay, is there like an album or something that I can get that has the songs from the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings? I'm trying to find a halfway decent recording of "The Road Goes Ever On and On" and it's just not happening.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Okay, is there like an album or something that I can get that has the songs from the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings? I'm trying to find a halfway decent recording of "The Road Goes Ever On and On" and it's just not happening.

I just listen to Nightfall in Middle Earth by Blind Guardian, and every single Summoning album.

Where can I run, where can I hide The Silmarils
    Gems of treelight, their light belongs to me!
    Oh how sweet, all the darkness floating around!
    WE ARE FOLLOWING THE WILL OF THE ONE
    THROUGH THE DARK AGE AND INTO THE STORM!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dQ5c5SIYnc

That one?

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    glithert wrote:
    this seems like a good enough place to ask, then: did Sauron still have some kind of physical form while LoTR is going on? I was never really clear on that.

fotr_screen04Sauron.jpg

• SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote:
    glithert wrote:

fotr_screen04Sauron.jpg

That is a few thousand years earlier iirc

Heisenberg wrote:
    glithert wrote:

fotr_screen04Sauron.jpg

in the books, maybe? in the films, not in the least.

Lh96QHG.png
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    oh shit my bad he said while lotr was happening

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dQ5c5SIYnc

That one?

Oh my dear lord, that album cover is horrible.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    What? I like it!

Also I like The animated Hobbit's score. It makes me wish that Howard Shore used more guitar.

edit: also John Houston is a great Gandalf.

wandering on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    wandering wrote:
    What? I like it!

Also I like The animated Hobbit's score. It makes me wish that Howard Shore used more guitar.

edit: also John Houston is a great Gandalf.

Best line in the whole movie comes from John Houston's Gandalf.

"Dread has come upon you all! An army of goblins with claim to the tray-sure comes from the north!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=20RL5Omt50A#t=4190s

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote:
    glithert wrote:

fotr_screen04Sauron.jpg

What makes you think they changed the timeline in the films?

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I still find the documentaries on the making of the LotR movies fascinating. Basically they tried, and tried, and TRIED to change things in ways they thought would work better or look cooler, even if it meant changing parts of the story whole cloth. But when they kept re-writing, or even filming, these scenes, they just didn't work. So over time the movies got closer and closer to the books because the books were the only things that were filmable and made sense.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Heisenberg wrote:
    glithert wrote:

fotr_screen04Sauron.jpg

What makes you think they changed the timeline in the films?

Ah, I meant during the fellowship's journey, not that picture that's from the prologue. Apologies for any confusion.

Lh96QHG.png