As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Website bug?] Exceptionally tall comics being shrunk down

MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
These are the only examples I can think of off hand, but this comic and this one seem to be scaled down to fit inside some set dimensions, such that it's barely readable, at least at not-netbook screen resolutions. Changing screen resolution seems to not do a thing, the image remains the same (pixel) size on everything from 1600x1200 to 800x600. Intuition says it's something to do with the site layout (vertical size constraints not allowing the image to be shown full size?), but a web developer, I am not.

Firefox 8.01 on Win7, if it helps any.

MechMantis on

• CausificationCausification Registered User new member
    The entire archive has been budget-ized. They were great-quality PNGs, now they're all jpegs. Every comic taller than 768 pixels has been downscaled. Presumably all this is to save bandwidth. When I first noticed it I felt ill, like someone had broken into my house. I used to have a complete copy of the archive, but apparently I lost it during one move to a new hard drive or another. ...I can't believe I have to look for a torrent just to read my favorite strips of a webcomic.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'll find out what's up

• KethennKethenn Registered User staff
    The resolution downsizing was not on purpose - PM me if you find any more unfortunately sized comics and I'll try to dig up the originals and replace them. Thanks!

• CausificationCausification Registered User new member
    edited December 2011
    Kethenn wrote:
    The resolution downsizing was not on purpose - PM me if you find any more unfortunately sized comics and I'll try to dig up the originals and replace them. Thanks!

Well, thank you for giving me a good excuse to re-read the entire archive, ha ha! I found a site dump on a torrent. As I'm going I'll make a list and put copies from the dump in a folder. So far the pattern emerging is that it only affects "normal" comics, meaning the special ones like the Lookouts, the robot detective story, and guest strips are unaffected. Some have been resized smaller than 768 vertical pixels, but if you ordered all of them by resolution and had a look at any comic that's exactly 768 pixels high you could probably find and replace 80% of the affected strips in an hour or less. Which is good, because there's probably a couple hundred of them.

Edit: By the way, whatever prompted the move from comic organization by year with clearly-labeled filenames to gobbledegook directories and names seems like a poor one. The guys that run the PA wiki are going to have to manually redo the links for every single comic, if they bother.

Causification on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Kethenn wrote:

Will do, though I don't currently have the wherewithal to run through the entire archive. If Causification's already on it, I'll gladly let him take that over.