As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Free (At Least Initially) MMO Uberlist V2

• DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2006
    Space Cowboy is by the same folks as Flyff, and 99% sure I heard Space Cowboy is going to be free to play with cashshop (micropayments) just as Flyff is.

Tried Biosfear cause I saw a knight with a gun on the website :roll: Diablo type clone (1 or 2, prolly 1 lol). Very low population... most I've seen on all three servers at once was a combined total of 90 people. Graphics are terrible. 4 races(classes) - Fighter type, Mage type, little winged Summoner things, and humans (which use guns and later flame throwers and missle launchers lol). Got bored by level 70 (out of 220+) and this was during double xp periods to make up for server outages.

Don't know if you want to add that DnD Online (DDO) has a free 7-day trial thing going (I caught it on a banner on the PA mainpage yesterday... kinda disappointed with it... DDO that is).

Unknown User on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I'm trying out Blitz 1941. I'll tell you if it's any good.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited April 2006
    I'm trying out Blitz 1941. I'll tell you if it's any good.

Blitz 1941 is pretty good if you're looking for a timesink. Cabal Online is in beta phase, but it's also entirely in Korean, no English beta is available. I'm still going in the deep end and trying out. Can't be all that difficult, right? (The average translation doesn't make it any easier anyway.)

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I got invited to the closed beta for that new BOTS game from the new Acclaim (Being one of the top posters on the brand manager's blog has its benefits). It's not half bad. Unfortunately, being part of the CB also means being under an NDA, according to the invite; so I can't give any specifics just yet. I might want to get into another of their CB tests in the future, and since Ken's posted here before, he could be watching.

However, if you go sign up at the official site you could still have a chance of getting invited. I'll make a full-blown addition to the list when it hits open beta/goes live, whichever comes first.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Monoxide wrote:
    So, in this huge list, does anyone have any recommendations for something that's actually worthwhile to try? Aside from the big-name MMO trials, I mean.

If you like cutesy-style MMOs then I highly recommend Maple Story :P

Been playing for about 2 years, and I 'effing love it ^^ May seem boring at first, but if u stick with it, it's a lot of fun at lvl 30+ :D

Mitsuhide on
    edited April 2006
    Silkroad Online is a very professional MMO. It stands up, and in my opinion surpasses, Lineage II (even though that may not be too difficult). If you like ancient Chinese culture and folklore I definitely reccomend it. The merchant/hunter/thief PvP mechanic is also really cool (I have yet to try it out for myself, however).

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Max Damage wrote:
    Fun factoid: Rakion runs on the Serious engine. The engine behind the original two Serious Sam games.

And yes, it really is quite nifty. You'll find the 'really expensive items unless you pay money' thing applies to a lot of the completely free korean MMOs, but it's a system I like. It means the majority can play for free because the minority are willing to pay cold, hard cash for a helmet +1.

Oh, ACT: Ray Storm is a really rather neat game. 2d mecha deathmatch - side-on view, but free flying movement and a good range of weapons and moves. Very small number of players though. Perhaps a PA rush would be a good idea?

Lol really want to try Rakion, and DL ATC this morning. met a player from canada (just like me!) and her IGN is -Angel- . if u see her in game then watch a match. She's freakin awesome!

Mitsuhide on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Silkroad Online is a very professional MMO. It stands up, and in my opinion surpasses, Lineage II (even though that may not be too difficult). If you like ancient Chinese culture and folklore I definitely reccomend it. The merchant/hunter/thief PvP mechanic is also really cool (I have yet to try it out for myself, however).

It surpasses Lineage II? Silkroad is pretty much an empty grindfest. Success in battle seems to rely half on level and equipment and half on how long you can keep spamming healing items. Quests increasingly consist of killing the same enemy over and over until you pass out from boredom. The skillset you have is incredibly small, and everything dies too quickly to get any sort of group dynamic going. The UI is better than most but still doesn't seem like it would work in a fully commercial game.

Geez, how bad is Lineage II, then?

jothki on
    edited April 2006
    jothki wrote:

It surpasses Lineage II? Silkroad is pretty much an empty grindfest. Success in battle seems to rely half on level and equipment and half on how long you can keep spamming healing items. Quests increasingly consist of killing the same enemy over and over until you pass out from boredom. The skillset you have is incredibly small, and everything dies too quickly to get any sort of group dynamic going. The UI is better than most but still doesn't seem like it would work in a fully commercial game.

I've died twice. I've had to use....4 healing items. Maybe. Of course combat relies on your level and equipment, what else would it rely on? Say what you want to but I haven't seen an MMO that doesn't work that way. Until higher levels, grouping doesn't have much of a point. Skillset is actually quite large, but you must have pre-requesits to use them. The UI is on par with many MMORPGs I've seen.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • AuturgistAuturgist Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Should Guild Wars and Guild Wars: Factions be on this list? I would think they qualify as "partially free" because there is no monthly fee to play after your initial purchase of an account.

Edit: Ignore me... I somehow totally missed the "(At Least Initially)" in the subject line. I fail at internet. :cry:

Auturgist on
  • tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    jothki wrote:

I think Lineage 2 is widely considered to be one of the worst MMO's out there because of how absolutely horrible grindfest it is. Not to mention, losing levels because you got killed by another player is always a retarded design choice. But, I guess thats what you can expect from Koreans.

tehkensai on
    jAhPU.jpg
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Legends

I hear it's like tribes.

Which would mean more if Tribes weren't already freeware, but apparently it's rather good.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited May 2006
    I have been trying to get the DJ Max game running and all I am getting is thrown around in circles. I've created a log in, downloaded the client, and installed the program. Now the program just throws me back to the website with no explnation. I realy want to get this game running, any help woud be fantastic.

Unknown User on
  • Crazy Old MoriseCrazy Old Morise Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Hey is Rakion stable these days? I loved it when it first came out, but It was nearly unplayable due to connection issues.

Crazy Old Morise on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I played Rakion a month ago just to see how it went. For some reason, I have huge connection issues with that game (and only with that game as Gunbound ran perfectly for me). I'd either drop in the middle of a match or get booted as I entered one. In any case, I wouldn't be able to reconnect for a long time.

Other than that, the game suffers from a handicap gap. The brackets are in levels of 10. So kinda like WoW. Would you run into a PvP match with a lv 30 against a crew of lv 39s?

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I was considering getting City of Heroes, but alas, I do not have a credit card. Are there pre-paid cards (ala WoW) for CoH? Would be great if there was.

Thanks.

Rizzi on
  • HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I would like to say some words about pristontale.

The best thing about the game is that on the websites flash intro, they say "Neverending gigantic pressure". That is the best thing about the game. Do you get me?

Fine, avoid it at all costs. Unless your masochistic like i used to be a few years back.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • MavricMavric Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    anyone got a link for the ATC raycrash client that works. None of the links on the games site are working for me.

Mavric on
    つまらない~。。。
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Not sure if this goes here, but LOTROnline has opened up registration for their beta, somewhere in the summer. Register for the forum (signup included) here:
    http://lotro.turbine.com/index.php?page_id=20&pagebuilder[module]=article&pagebuilder[display_item]=82

If multiple people signup, we can maybe create a PA Guild. Every MMO adds at least +20% to Fun, +54% to Cocks Dicks Lol if enough PA is added.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • HawkeHawke Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I don't believe the CoV trial is active anymore... anybody else know of another we can pass off? I did the CoV trial and loved it... picked it up. Hopefully more friends can try it if we can locate another =)

Hawke on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I was going to try Blitz 191 but it seems to be gone, the site just has a message "free service closed... thank you for playing" :(

-SPI- on
    edited June 2006
    Should Bang Howdy be on this list?

Unknown User on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    msde wrote:
    Should Bang Howdy be on this list?

I wouldn't call it an MMO.

Garthor on
  • Aaron LeeAaron Lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Are there any Planeshift players? I think I end up eyeing this every now and then, but I'm never motivated enough to download it. Looks like it could be fun though. Any thoughts?

Aaron Lee on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Doku-san wrote:
    I was considering getting City of Heroes, but alas, I do not have a credit card. Are there pre-paid cards (ala WoW) for CoH? Would be great if there was.

Thanks.

Yes. For future reference, you'll probably stand a better chance of getting a response to CoH questions if you come over to the CoH/V forum and ask us.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Quick question. I'm at work right now and the boss just recently made me head of the PC department so I'm trying to shape things up. Right now I'm actually putting into the system all the PC games that we can not buy back namely MMO's at the moment. So if you guys wouldn't mind helping a brotha out, since it would take too long to list all the MMOs that you can't rebuy could somebody help just list the ones that you CAN? Also on a quick sidenote is FFXI for 360 resaleable?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Quick question. I'm at work right now and the boss just recently made me head of the PC department so I'm trying to shape things up. Right now I'm actually putting into the system all the PC games that we can not buy back namely MMO's at the moment. So if you guys wouldn't mind helping a brotha out, since it would take too long to list all the MMOs that you can't rebuy could somebody help just list the ones that you CAN? Also on a quick sidenote is FFXI for 360 resaleable?

If it's anything like the PC version than the answer is no. I have no first hand knoledge of the 360 version though.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • DaSniper91DaSniper91 Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    http://www.pokemoncrater.com/

actually not bad

just really crowded

DaSniper91 on
  • JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    (...)list all the MMOs that you can't rebuy could somebody help just list the ones that you CAN?(...)
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/gameId/0

Those cant be resold, if the game uses a personal account on the companys server it cannot be resold. Which means every mmo(rpg) out there.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2006
    Has anyone tried Albatross 18 yet? It's some cool golf MMO from what appears to be Korea. I have yet to play it but from what I can tell it looks pretty nifty, sorta reminds me of Hot Shots.

Unknown User on
  • Aaron LeeAaron Lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Impressions so far...

Planeshift: Still a ways to go before being publicly viable. The world is large and there seems like lots to do, but when your avatar floats around in the simplest most unrealistic way, it's hard to feel "involved" in the world. I think I'll pass on this till they tighten up development"

Silkroad Online: Everything about this game seemed promising. Reviews, content, and player comments seemed to make this the prime free MMO on the market. The results? Personally, I don't think this game is viable anymore. I think I finally saw the downside to a free MMO. A wold full of thousands of "AFK" sellers and such. Player help was essentially nonexistant, which lends to a not so player friendly community. And I've still yet to figure out if it was my client or not, but the framerate was abolsolutely terrible, and I can run HL2 and a good framerate. Nothing fixed the framerate save from dropping all levels down to low and playing in a resolution of 800x600. To me, there's something wrong with the game if that's the case, not my comp, when I haven't had to run a game in that resolution since my DOS games in Win95

Rakion: I kinda fell onto this one a little later, forgetting about it while looking for a good free MMO and stressing through Silkroad for a bit. Finally installed this yesterday and got things going. All in all, I think I've found the good free MMO I was looking for. While not a MMO in the "WoW" "Guild Wars" sort of way, more in an MMORPG version of Jedi Outcast multiplayer vein, I've found the arcadey type play pretty fun. And ranging in the different character types, and the ability to level up over time gives this arcade mutiplayer game a little more replayability than somthing like Jedi Knight's online. Admittedly, I was a little disappointed to learn there wasn't more MMO aspect to it, and that it is basically a RPG-esque deathmatch game, it does add more interesting elements than the other deathmatch games I've been playing, so it's got some points there.

While I wish Silkroad was more playable as it seems to have the most robust MMO experience for the price (free), personally Rakion has hit home as far as actual playability and fun factor. I'm contemplating trying out a couple other of the MMO games like Xiah, Martial Heroes, or Gate of Heavens, but for now I think I'll actually have fun with Rakion.

Aaron Lee on
  • The TommyThe Tommy Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Blark wrote:
    Has anyone tried Albatross 18 yet? It's some cool golf MMO from what appears to be Korea. I have yet to play it but from what I can tell it looks pretty nifty, sorta reminds me of Hot Shots.

It's damn fine. Seriously, get it. Very nice and arcadey, but still with some sim elements.

The Tommy on
    modestmousesig2ab5.png
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2006
    I know just about everyone already plays it but shouldn't the 10-Day Free WoW trial be on the list?

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I know just about everyone already plays it but shouldn't the 10-Day Free WoW trial be on the list?

no..you pay for that "10 Day Free trial" with your immortal soul :shock:

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2006

no..you pay for that "10 Day Free trial" with your immortal soul :shock:
    Also: last I checked it was one of those retarded "we need your credit card!" trials.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • azuriceazurice Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    The Tommy wrote:
    Blark wrote:

It's damn fine. Seriously, get it. Very nice and arcadey, but still with some sim elements.

I've only been playing it for like, an hour. But it's already very good. Though I've never played a non-RPG MMO before. :D

azurice on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Did some searching and found that Space Cowboys is up and running... juststarting their second episode.

And yes, it's still free.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    azurice wrote:
    The Tommy wrote:
    Blark wrote:

I've only been playing it for like, an hour. But it's already very good. Though I've never played a non-grind MMO before. :D
    fixt lol

Panda4You on
  • Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Just a little something I feel you should update about Saga of Ryzom: They've changed the free trial, instead of the 7-day trial previously mentioned, they now have an unlimited free trial (though restricted to only the noob island. You need to register as a paying customer to access the main game.)

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • ApathyKillsApathyKills __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    maplestory was my summer last year. Looks like I'm gonna have to fire up a new account.

ApathyKills on
    deleted courtesy orikae