As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FILM] School Generation

WashWash Sweet ChristmasRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
tumblr_ltcamf1Bwh1qe2w1uo1_500.jpg
New Hollywood or post-classical Hollywood, sometimes referred to as the "American New Wave", refers to the time from roughly the late-1960s (Bonnie and Clyde, The Graduate) to the early 1980s (Heaven's Gate, One from the Heart) when a new generation of young filmmakers came to prominence in America, influencing the types of films produced, their production and marketing, and impacted the way major studios approached filmmaking.

The films they made were part of the studio system, and these individuals were not "independent filmmakers", but they introduced subject matter and styles that set them apart from the studio traditions. New Hollywood has also been defined as a broader filmmaking movement influenced by this period, which has been called the “Hollywood renaissance”.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdobM0wtce4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue10MU8TTmw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKuYJANgw0c&feature=related

The next three videos are also up on Youtube.

tumblr_lw9u3epJpr1qaoz0zo1_500.jpg
tumblr_lweupqDYfh1qe5k65o1_500.jpg
tumblr_lw7xbyk3yu1r6hicfo1_500.jpg
tumblr_lvs3ixn8u01qfjx5mo1_500.jpg

“On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.”

-- Tron (1982)

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
Wash on

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    that 2001 poster is baller

rRwz9.gif
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    I believe I found it on this website

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Oh rad! Thanks for the link. I love this one:

tumblr_lw5y67V7ns1qe2w1uo1_500.png

rRwz9.gif
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    I'm a fan of this one

tumblr_lsxcx3lXZv1qe2w1uo1_500.jpg

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I like this 2001 poster

2001poster.jpg

and this one

2001poster.jpg

Also I like the original posters

2001poster.jpg

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I love the Alamo Drafthouse's movie posters

Tron
    klausen_tron.jpg

New Tron
    tron_legacy_mondo_poster_eric_tan.jpg

Star Wars
    Greedo.jpg
    stout_jedi.jpg

RoboCop
    AlamoRoboTylerBIG.jpg

Star Trek: First Contact
    star_trek_first_contact.jpg

And of course, the Big Lebowski
    lebowski.jpg

Alamo also has the best "Don't talk during the movie" warnings ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8Ej3RGmD_k

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Love that 2001 poster in the OP. Especially because of Cinerama.

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote:
    That's a reference to the film format, not the movie theater.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Each of those 2001 posters is roughly 3.7 times more enjoyable than the actual movie.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I always loved the (American, I think) poster for Dracula has Risen from the Grave.
    draculahasrisenfromtheg.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Compared to the original, with a lovely purple-ish Dracula:
    b0001fve6801lzzzzzzz.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    edited December 2011
    Thanatos wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:

GODDAMNIT, NOW I HATE IT. THANKS THANATOS! YOU RUINER OF THINGS!

mrt144 on
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    This is from the last thread but that clip of hardboiled has convinced me to track down a copy. And I've seen the protector, and that scene always impresses me for what stunts they can get away with.

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:
    To be fair, the movie theater is named after the film format.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Each of those 2001 posters is roughly 3.7 times more enjoyable than the actual movie.

God yes ElJeffe.

Also, saw Mission Impossible on TV last night. The first one. Not a bad film really, but nothing special either. The plot is a hell of alot less convoluted on the second watch though. It's subtler then most in the scene where Tom Cruise figures it out though and generally doesn't hold your hand, so I can see why some people might have found it confusing.

Thanatos wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:
    To be fair, the movie theater is named after the film format.

Ruined!!!

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Wow, MI4 was really just okay. A thoroughly forgettable experience. The most like thing I could compare it to would be Brosnan's lesser Bond films. All flash and spectacle, no heart or engaging narrative. The script was pretty lazy, and Paula Patton is a remarkably limited actress. How she got cast in this thing smacks of behind-the-scenes quid pro quo.

I can't believe the RT disparity between this film and the much better Sherlock Holmes 2.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Wow, MI4 was really just okay. A thoroughly forgettable experience. The most like thing I could compare it to would be Brosnan's lesser Bond films. All flash and spectacle, no heart or engaging narrative. The script was pretty lazy, and Paula Patton is a remarkably limited actress. How she got cast in this thing smacks of behind-the-scenes quid pro quo.

I can't believe the RT disparity between this film and the much better Sherlock Holmes 2.

I feel like Sherlock Holmes is one of those franchises in which critics are contractually obligated to sniff down their noses at it as they polish their monocles. The book series are classic, so omg how dare someone just make a silly, fun franchise out of them!

Of course they're film critics, so I doubt most of them have actually read the Sherlock Holmes books, but that only makes their indignation all the stronger.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Kana wrote:

I feel like Sherlock Holmes is one of those franchises in which critics are contractually obligated to sniff down their noses at it as they polish their monocles. The book series are classic, so omg how dare someone just make a silly, fun franchise out of them!

Of course they're film critics, so I doubt most of them have actually read the Sherlock Holmes books, but that only makes their indignation all the stronger.

What's weirder, I'm reading the positive RT reviews for MI4 and a lot of them seem negative. Lately I've come to cast a hairy eyeball at the way RT hands out it scores.

But still, I agree that many of the negative reviews I've read about SH2 are completely inappropriate wrt their objective of just reviewing the goddamned movie.

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    I watched the remake-of-the-movie-adaptation-of-the-book The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Damn, that was good. Good pacing, good acting, interesting plot, great soundtrack (thanks to Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross), and good cinematography. I haven't read all of the first book yet but I feel like the movie dove head-in and may have left some people who hadn't read the book in the dust, but after about an hour the really relevant plots are picked up and those are fairly easy to follow. Rooney Mara does an excellent job, managing to be both off-putting and intriguing at the same time.

JKKaAGp.png
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Kana wrote:
    I love the Alamo Drafthouse's movie posters

Same here, I really like Tyler Stout's work (which are a number of the ones you posted above). I have these hanging up by him in my theater for now:

Captain America
    photobucket-3447-1320438320326.jpg

Total Recall
    photobucket-4550-1317679928851.jpg

And then this Star Wars by Tom Whalen, who also does a bunch of stuff for Mondo as well:
    photobucket-2747-1320705898589.jpg
    photobucket-3601-1320714331498.jpg

And here's a non-film one for Game of Thrones just because I thought it was interesting:
    photobucket-1723-1321315934474.jpg

Question to anybody who has seen both the Swedish Dragon Tattoo film and the Fincher remake:

Which film is better if you take into account that you have to read the entirety of the foreign one and thus lose a big chunk of the quality of acting?

Which is better if you can get past that aspect of it?

I would probably have seen the original by now if I hadn't heard Fincher was doing a remake, but the idea of being able to watch the film rather than read it is appealing.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    and Fincher isn't exactly a hack

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Saw Sherlock Holmes 2 last night, and had a wonderful time. I was wondering if anyone knew what song was playing during the
    stag party fight chase thing?

I'm always down for a great Irish kind of tune like that, but my google-fu is fail tonight.

ElJeffe wrote:
    Question to anybody who has seen both the Swedish Dragon Tattoo film and the Fincher remake:

Which film is better if you take into account that you have to read the entirety of the foreign one and thus lose a big chunk of the quality of acting?

I would probably have seen the original by now if I hadn't heard Fincher was doing a remake, but the idea of being able to watch the film rather than read it is appealing.

I'm not sure, I can't answer that because I haven't seen either version or read the books.

But I did read an interesting review that said that Fincher's work is so strong in this one that it actually makes the source material seem as a poor choice for him to spend his time on.

The narrative weakness of Larssen's books has been somewhat of a recurrent theme in many of the reviews I've read.

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    I plan to watch the Swedish adaptation pretty soon, plus I believe the second film is out in Sweden as well.

JKKaAGp.png
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The narrative weakness of Larssen's books has been somewhat of a recurrent theme in many of the reviews I've read.

Basically, yeah. They're not terribly good books, but Fincher managed to do the best possible job with them... I think he needs to get away from the whole "serial killer" thing, though. His proposed 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea adaptation has me interested for that reason.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    Astaereth wrote:

Basically, yeah. They're not terribly good books, but Fincher managed to do the best possible job with them... I think he needs to get away from the whole "serial killer" thing, though. His proposed 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea adaptation has me interested for that reason.

Yeah, Fincher's definitely right in the middle of Hollywood's major obsession with the grimdark. I mean, there's definitely a place for that, but it doesn't seem like anyone is trying to make warm, engaging tentpole movies anymore the way they used to back in the late-70s/early-80s. Even a horror movie like Jaws featured upbeat performances and a warm palette; nowadays it seems like telling stories about serial killers and perverts is the only way to grab the attention of the community.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    @Atomic Ross,

I'm glad to hear you really liked Holmes 2. After just glancing at RT and reading one review it sounded just mediocre and I was going to wait for video (I did like the first one). But you really liking it is enough to change my mind, I'll probably try and see it & Dragon Tattoo next weekend.

Also, I'd pay to watch "Sherlock Holmes and the Dragon Tattoo"

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    re: that alamo drafthouse poster for tron legacy

there's a second half to it for the original tron
    this is the full image
    tronmondo.jpg

Tomanta wrote:
    @Atomic Ross,

I'm glad to hear you really liked Holmes 2. After just glancing at RT and reading one review it sounded just mediocre and I was going to wait for video (I did like the first one). But you really liking it is enough to change my mind, I'll probably try and see it & Dragon Tattoo next weekend.

Also, I'd pay to watch "Sherlock Holmes and the Dragon Tattoo"

There are some complaints leveled at the Holmes movie that I can understand despite not agreeing with them. For one, the focus on detective work is much thinner than before, and the action is ramped up even more than what we got in the first film. Also, Noomi Rapace's character doesn't serve much of a purpose other than plot motivation even though she's in the film for much of its running time.

On the otherhand, I greatly enjoyed the repartee between Downey, Law, and Stephen Fry, as their chemistry is amazing, and Jared Harris (son of the late Dumbledore) is cunning and fantastic Moriarty. And despite the action being more prominent than in the first film, it plays more realistically and in-camera here, and the plot almost always justifies its occurrence (if not always its length). It's not a perfect film, but it's a fun film and a film that takes its fun without cynicism or pandering.

Even many of the reviewers I follow and respect have championed MI4 while poo-pooing Holmes 2, but reading their reviews it seems like two different standards are being used. Holmes, on one hand, is derided for avoiding much of the Doyle canon and being so focused on the dynamic between Holmes and Watson, while MI4 has people singing its praises for being a weightless trifle of an action movie starring a charismatic lead.

It's like they're saying since they expected Holmes to be great and it somehow fell short, then it's crap; and since MI4 only has to be modestly awful to top its previous volumes, its mere competence wins top prize.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Wow, I had not put it together that Jared Harris was Richard Harris' son. As if he needed more reason to be awesome.

• BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    I didn't love SH2. There were a lot of laughs but Holmes seemed like too much of a caricature. My main problem, though, was the quick-cut sequences, which I couldn't follow at all. Of course, I may not have been in the best condition, as it was the evening after an all-night Tiger and Bunny marathon. Every once in a while, I'd shut my eyes, then panic about missing subtitles before remembering that the movie was in English.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Just finished watching Valhalla Rising, Nicholas Winding Refn's previous film before Drive. I had no idea what it was about going into it, simply finding it playing on IFC, and was surprised to find that it largely struck me as an homage to Herzog's Aguirre: The Wrath of God. I'm curious if Refn has ever made explicit acknowledgement of that, as it follows a similarly surreal course of action accompanied by an unsettling synth score.

Regardless, stylish stuff, with its high-contrast, tinted imagery and staccato cuts of future events spliced into long stretches of silent misery. Recommend checking it out, though I wouldn't necessarily call it "entertaining". Mads Mikkelsen, aka Le Chifre, sure has an interesting face, especially when he appears to be wearing a scrotum for an eyepatch.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    re: that alamo drafthouse poster for tron legacy

there's a second half to it for the original tron
    this is the full image
    tronmondo.jpg

Wow.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    It's a fucking awesome piece.

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote:

The end to the swedish one is better and I liked the lead actress better in the Swedish one but Fincher did a lot of things better as a whole as well

t5qfc9.jpg
    I saw Repo Men the other night and it was pretty fucking stupid. I was hopeful since I really like Jude Law, but I spent the entire time wondering why super-powerful dystopian corporations wouldn't do simple things to collect their body bits like bother tracking who had which body parts or maybe implant the same goddamn GPS technology into the parts that we currently have in phones instead of having contract mercs wander around at random pointing detectors at people and hoping they got lucky.
    Also, fifteen minutes in they casually mention the neural implant for brain-dead people that makes them think they're in paradise, so I spent the next hour and change going, "Please don't let it all be a dream, that would be so retarded," and then it ended and it was all a dream and I was unsurprised but angry. Oh, and the idea that Law's best bud would fake an equipment malfunction to destroy Law's heart so that he'd have to get a new one and then wouldn't be able to afford to stop being a merc so they could be Best Merc Buds Forever was also terrible.

Oh, and the film begins with probably the stupidest and most pointless explanation of the Schroedinger's Cat experiment that I have heard, so it started on the wrong foot with me. And in the end Jude Law writes a book called "The Repossession Mambo" and I was thinking what a stupid name for a book that was and then found out it's the name of the book the movie was based on. So yeah.

Basically: don't see it.

• zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    metaghost wrote:
    Just finished watching Valhalla Rising, Nicholas Winding Refn's previous film before Drive. I had no idea what it was about going into it, simply finding it playing on IFC, and was surprised to find that it largely struck me as an homage to Herzog's Aguirre: The Wrath of God. I'm curious if Refn has ever made explicit acknowledgement of that, as it follows a similarly surreal course of action accompanied by an unsettling synth score.

Regardless, stylish stuff, with its high-contrast, tinted imagery and staccato cuts of future events spliced into long stretches of silent misery. Recommend checking it out, though I wouldn't necessarily call it "entertaining". Mads Mikkelsen, aka Le Chifre, sure has an interesting face, especially when he appears to be wearing a scrotum for an eyepatch.

Anybody who has seen Wrath of God would make the analogy, yeah. I have no idea if Refn ever commented on Hercog being an influence though.
    If you can find it, watch the first Pusher too. It's very decent.

zeeny on
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    unsettling synth score.
    Interest: raised
    high-contrast, tinted imagery
    Interest: lowered

wandering on
This discussion has been closed.