As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't you dare clean that [Workstation]

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote:
    Just to be clarify, if I went with MI's combo it works out to be $150 more than the combo that I had originally considered here in Australia. I'm not working under a budget ceiling; I'm just looking for perceived sweet spot I guess, which is always the million dollar answer.

To tie it back in to desktop aesthetics I too sometimes struggle with some of the garish 'gamer' designed hardware out there. It's exacerbated for me in this situation because it's for a PC that ostensibly my home office computer and is in a pretty prominent position of the house. I'd be lying if I say I don't find it a little bit embarrassing sitting there with my all my gamer paraphernalia going.

I guess the TL;DR of it is that I want to combine the quality and performance of high quality gaming gear that's not covered in neon red dragons

I know what you mean. I actually like the aesthetic of most of the stuff I have. It's all black with simple blue backlighting on the keyboard, and a blue light on the mouse scroll wheel (that I can turn off). I don't care for the big green Razer logo on the mouse mat, but they don't make a plain black one =[

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2011
    My desk is the tiniest.

But it has tons of surface space due to the nature of its design.

Photo%20Oct%2010%2C%204%2007%2014%20PM.jpeg

When you are dealing with new york apartment space, you have to maximize your efficiency. This desk does the trick.

edit: I find my browsers lack of ability to handle rotation exif data disturbing.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    @syndalis is that a large mouse may under your keyboard/mouse? If so, where can I find it? I want one like that (like my Razer goliathus, without the gaudy green).

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    @syndalis is that a large mouse may under your keyboard/mouse? If so, where can I find it? I want one like that (like my Razer goliathus, without the gaudy green).

Would love to tell you, but it came with the desk I have, and that desk costs 1100 dollars.

I don't know if the sell the mousepad separately.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalis wrote:

Would love to tell you, but it came with the desk I have, and that desk costs 1100 dollars.

I don't know if the sell the mousepad separately.

Well that's an expensive mouse pad. =[

(Serves me right for only paying like $500 for my desk. No free mouse pad.)

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I'm looking to replace my old desk chair. I'd like to invest in something super comfortable $100-$300 price range.

Don't really care about leather or anything like that...just want something really comfortable and ergonomic I'm 6'5" 225 lbs if that helps

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Ego wrote:
    As always, I'll point out that I find razer products aren't durable enough and their branding embarrasses me every time I buy something by them in a brick and mortar.

Whoah what? I had a Razer Lycosa for about 2 years before I just replaced it for the Black Widow on a fucking whim. (Well, it wasn't a whim, it was battlefield 3) My Razer Lachesis continues to kick ass even though it is only 4,000 dpi. Of all of them, my Razer exact mat metal mousepad is still doing the trick after years and years.

IMO, the updated version, the Vespula and the eXact Mat are probably the best mouse pads around. Dirty? Fucking scrub them clean and they are back to new.

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote:
    My desk is the tiniest.

But it has tons of surface space due to the nature of its design.

Photo%20Oct%2010%2C%204%2007%2014%20PM.jpeg

When you are dealing with new york apartment space, you have to maximize your efficiency. This desk does the trick.

edit: I find my browsers lack of ability to handle rotation exif data disturbing.

Did you design your apartment sideways and orange to also maximize your efficiency?

• Options
    NormanPrideNormanPride Registered User regular
    You get a TON more space if you use the walls as well. I keep my cat's litter box on the ceiling, and it keeps everything out of the way.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I love you peopl.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    haha, likewise.

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Ego wrote:
    As always, I'll point out that I find razer products aren't durable enough and their branding embarrasses me every time I buy something by them in a brick and mortar.

Whoah what? I had a Razer Lycosa for about 2 years before I just replaced it for the Black Widow on a fucking whim. (Well, it wasn't a whim, it was battlefield 3) My Razer Lachesis continues to kick ass even though it is only 4,000 dpi. Of all of them, my Razer exact mat metal mousepad is still doing the trick after years and years.

IMO, the updated version, the Vespula and the eXact Mat are probably the best mouse pads around. Dirty? Fucking scrub them clean and they are back to new.

Well, I wouldn't expect a mouse pad to wear out very often ;).

But so far, out of a deathadder, lycosa, mamba, and salmosa, I've found that the razer mousewheels wear out too quickly (starting to miss the odd single tick upwards or downwards, in a totally unpredictable manner) and a couple of the mice have just quit out of nowhere. My lycosa went the way of so many other lycosas (it's been a while but you can look up the common glitch for them online.) The initial mamba run also had issues though the newest year model of them seems very good. Now, I'm not easy on my equipment and I use it often and constantly, but I definitely notice my razer gear wears out faster than other gear, let alone faster than premium gear, and that view seems borne out overall looking at large numbers of online reviews as well.

Now, I still have to say I love the products --when they work, they work absolutely spectacularly (other than the lycosa which was kind of weak as a 'gaming' keyboard.) Which is why I buy them. My mamba could break tomorrow and all it'd mean is I'd just go buy another one. But they definitely aren't as durable as I'd like / think they should be.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    Ego wrote:
    Ego wrote:

Well, I wouldn't expect a mouse pad to wear out very often ;).

But so far, out of a deathadder, lycosa, mamba, and salmosa, I've found that the razer mousewheels wear out too quickly (starting to miss the odd single tick upwards or downwards, in a totally unpredictable manner) and a couple of the mice have just quit out of nowhere. My lycosa went the way of so many other lycosas (it's been a while but you can look up the common glitch for them online.) The initial mamba run also had issues though the newest year model of them seems very good. Now, I'm not easy on my equipment and I use it often and constantly, but I definitely notice my razer gear wears out faster than other gear, let alone faster than premium gear, and that view seems borne out overall looking at large numbers of online reviews as well.

Now, I still have to say I love the products --when they work, they work absolutely spectacularly (other than the lycosa which was kind of weak as a 'gaming' keyboard.) Which is why I buy them. My mamba could break tomorrow and all it'd mean is I'd just go buy another one. But they definitely aren't as durable as I'd like / think they should be.

Oddly enough, the only Razer products I've ever had wear out too quickly have been their mouse pads. I had an Ironclad start flaking bits of paint and metal off after 2 weeks, and. Golithus(sp?) completely fray at the edges.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Corlis wrote:
    After years of just having a laptop, I now have a desktop as well. It's powerful enough that I haven't touched my laptop in months! I need a better sound system, though...
    Desk.jpg

Hey man. You have my case!
    Pictures to come as soon as I get home.

Edit: here it is!
    10073292.jpg

minirhyder on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    WOOOO CAT

• Options
    ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    7qQxD.jpg
    WRmb1.jpg

UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    DESK LACKS CAT

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    fullsmall.jpg

At long last, I've replaced my wonky C128 with the sexy C64G, a European-only model that combines the C64C board with the original case design. Hope to replace the shitty little desk it's sitting on right now, but my wallet is empty for now. Next up, 1541U cartridge, and after that an Amiga 1200...

In the photograph it is running GEOS, the GUI operating system that runs in only 64K of ram.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Hahaha I love it, Rohan

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I've already regretted never messing around with the commodore 64/128 (went from the Vic-20 to the Amiga.)

Erik
  • Options
    On one hand, that was a nice big jump. On the other, you've missed so much!

...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Antec 300 is such a nice looking case

• Options
    Rohan wrote:

Yeah, still hate to think of all the computing goodness I missed out on.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's had trouble with snapping off the panel covers of that style of monitor, by the way. I think two of mine have the covers still and both of those have one of the hinges broken off so they barely stay in place.

Erik
  • Options
    Ego wrote:
    Rohan wrote:

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's had trouble with snapping off the panel covers of that style of monitor, by the way. I think two of mine have the covers still and both of those have one of the hinges broken off so they barely stay in place.

Unfortunately, I gave away my C64 and C128 collection to a friend years ago when I started getting into the pc (round about 1999 I think). He moved to Denmark, took all the stuff with him, got married, divorced, and lost it all. So I've had to buy everything, including this monitor secondhand, and it came without the cover. So it does look shit, but a dedicated monitor with 80-column RGB connection is going to be better than any television.

Not that I need the RGB port any more now that I'm using the C64G and not the C128.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    useless4 wrote: »
    It's not a boring picture... it's simply that they are sleeping and tomorrow I will unleash them on creative musings.

also, I did not clean the desk but it's strangely clean at the moment and I am not sure why.
    web.jpg

It's been a year and I finally cleaned up the wiring on my desk! I actually ended up dropping a Mac Pro (Gifting it to my dad this year) and added a slower but more practical iMac to the setup . I also seemed to have grown monitors. The real reason for the pic is I am showing off my 12 bay Dat Optic RAID box that I got on mad clearance! Too bad hard drives are stupid stupid expensive and I need 16 drives to fill my empty slots (8 from my old enclosure and 4 internal to the mac pro which just went SSD)

405033_10150554393585628_637375627_10852366_78353505_n.jpg

• Options
    FalkenFalken Registered User regular
    Rohan wrote:
    Ego wrote:
    Rohan wrote:

Unfortunately, I gave away my C64 and C128 collection to a friend years ago when I started getting into the pc (round about 1999 I think). He moved to Denmark, took all the stuff with him, got married, divorced, and lost it all. So I've had to buy everything, including this monitor secondhand, and it came without the cover. So it does look shit, but a dedicated monitor with 80-column RGB connection is going to be better than any television.

Not that I need the RGB port any more now that I'm using the C64G and not the C128.

It's a curse of the whole 1084 range that those doors snap off, even the 90s second gen ones with the totally different case. In fact even the ones in period magazine ads are missing doors.

Doesn't affect the acorn branded version, which is weird.

Rohan, how much did the 64G cost you? Collectors go nuts over those things, aldi version even more.

• Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    @useless4 I really dig your setup.

Mind if I ask where you got that desk, if it isn't custom? It looks like just the kind of thing I'm looking foe.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    It's a Studio RTA Producer desk, you can get them at Guitar Center etc.
    It's typical mass produced furniture but it's survived three moves and about 8 years of abuse so far.
    I like almost everything about it.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Falken wrote:
    It's a curse of the whole 1084 range that those doors snap off, even the 90s second gen ones with the totally different case. In fact even the ones in period magazine ads are missing doors.

Doesn't affect the acorn branded version, which is weird.

Rohan, how much did the 64G cost you? Collectors go nuts over those things, aldi version even more.

I got the 64G for €49 from the same guy I got the monitor, disk drive and 128 - Tinchens Online Shop. He can be expensive at times, but he does have bargains. For example, there was a 64G package there for €79, which sold in a day, and then the other one that I bought which sold for €49. I don't know what the difference was.

I'm surprised that the 64G would be highly sought after, apart from how good it looks. Reading up on it, apart from providing German users with the original case so that it would fit all of their keyboard peripherals (such as the piano keyboard overlay), it mostly seems to have been a way for Commodore to get rid of old stock. One 64G might have the white keyboard of the 64C, such as mine, while another may have the 128's keyboard. Depending on their stocks at the time, one may have a green led, and another may have red. Seems some parts may also have been cannibalised from the 64GS. The motherboard is smaller, with the MMU chip taking the place of multiplex ICS. I also seem to remember that my original brown C64 (with the orange function keys, meaning an early unit - wish I'd kept it!) had raised figures on the Commodore logo, but this only has a sticker in it's place. And of course, it has the 8580 SID as opposed to the 6581.

Seems the new MMU chip caused slight incompatibilities, to the tune that it is 98% compatible with the software out there. That's a higher number than the 128, though, and I never encountered software that it couldn't run. Seems the best thing to do would be to cannibalise a brown C64, swap out the internals of the 64G and have the best of all worlds.

Rohan on

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I wanted to post this in the computer build thread that I frequent, but this is probably the proper place. Anyways, I bought myself Steelcase Leap chair and it may be some of the best money I have ever spent.

I had what I thought was a comfortable $300 ergonomic mesh chair from Office Max that has broken on me twice now due to the bolts that hold the backrest repeatedly shearing off. The chair was part of a recall but the new bolts that came broke again, and even if the warranty is still good I don't want the deal with it anymore. Considering how much time I spend sitting in front of my computer I thought it was about time I invested in a really nice chair that's not going to repeatedly break on me in the course of three years. The Leap may cost a lot but considering that it's the most comfortable chair I have ever sat in it's money well spent.

It goes without saying if you're looking to drop serious money on an ergonomic chair it would behoove you to find a local authorized retailer to sit in different models and get a walkthrough with a sales associate. Buying a car without test driving it or a few different models would be a good comparison. I came pretty close to buying mine online but felt that I really ought to sit in a few to make sure that I am actually going to like it. Lucky for me there was a store a few minutes from where I work, and they were able to give me a great deal on a Leap chair that a customer had refused because they didn't like the custom color they have ordered it in. I walked out of there with a brand new fully warrantied chair for 60% of what I was prepared to pay.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    7qQxD.jpg

Hey! We have the same case! I have put, I think, 3 motherboards through that case just because it's so fantastic. What's going on with your CPU cooling though? That looks quite...big.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    That's a Noctua NH-D14 or whatever the bloody model name is.

They're huge! And apparently rather effective. It's kind of like two CoolerMaster Hyper 212's in one.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    case

Hey! We have the same case! I have put, I think, 3 motherboards through that case just because it's so fantastic. What's going on with your CPU cooling though? That looks quite...big.
    Yeah, like Chris said it's a Noctua heatsink/fan combo, and pretty much the gold standard for 2 years now for air cooled overclocking while being quiet. I'm overclocked to 4.2 gigahertz on a 2500k and I have to run prime95 for like 20 minutes before it gets to 50 degrees Celsius.

UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Options
    FalkenFalken Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote:
    I wanted to post this in the computer build thread that I frequent, but this is probably the proper place. Anyways, I bought myself Steelcase Leap chair and it may be some of the best money I have ever spent.

I had what I thought was a comfortable $300 ergonomic mesh chair from Office Max that has broken on me twice now due to the bolts that hold the backrest repeatedly shearing off. The chair was part of a recall but the new bolts that came broke again, and even if the warranty is still good I don't want the deal with it anymore. Considering how much time I spend sitting in front of my computer I thought it was about time I invested in a really nice chair that's not going to repeatedly break on me in the course of three years. The Leap may cost a lot but considering that it's the most comfortable chair I have ever sat in it's money well spent.

It goes without saying if you're looking to drop serious money on an ergonomic chair it would behoove you to find a local authorized retailer to sit in different models and get a walkthrough with a sales associate. Buying a car without test driving it or a few different models would be a good comparison. I came pretty close to buying mine online but felt that I really ought to sit in a few to make sure that I am actually going to like it. Lucky for me there was a store a few minutes from where I work, and they were able to give me a great deal on a Leap chair that a customer had refused because they didn't like the custom color they have ordered it in. I walked out of there with a brand new fully warrantied chair for 60% of what I was prepared to pay.

You could have just like... bought a better bolt for a couple dollars.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's true, but after fixing it a couple of times I didn't want to deal with it anymore. It wasn't quite as simple as buying a few new bolts. I would have had to drill out the bolts now stuck in the holes, possibly retap the holes, drill through the backrest itself to allow for longer and stronger bolts, and I have none of the tools to do that. Frankly, I'm looking at it as in investment in my long term comfort. When my family asked what I wanted to Christmas I told them if they would be willing to chip in towards the chair, so in the end it cost me just a little bit more then what I paid for my last chair.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    U2KXr.jpg
    jHkW0.jpg
    bhPqN.jpg

Dont mind the messy desk !

PC Specs if curious:

Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower
    CPU: AMD PHenom II 1090t x6 @ 3.8 ghz
    Ram: Mushkin DDR3 1600, 12gb's
    HDD: 2x 750gb Hitachi Deskstar
    Mobo: An Asus I cannot off-hand remember the model name of
    Power supply: Antec Gamer 900Watt Bronze Cert.
    Graphics: 2x AMD 6950 2gb in Crossfire, overclocked moderately.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    403031_3027299440820_1212836357_33353549_1739267341_n.jpg
    Skyrim map, 22 inch Samsung monitor, custom PC, peanuts, QuikTrip coffee, Sony 32 inch TV, Sony digital receiver, 5.1 surround sound, electric toothbrush (have to keep it in my office because I live in an older house, there are no plug outlets in the bathroom :-/)
    375420_3027300200839_1212836357_33353550_867757432_n.jpg
    Game consoles, hard drive, lamp, games, strategy guides
    390748_3027300320842_1212836357_33353551_681359580_n.jpg
    Can't be a gamer unless you have a black curtain to block out dat Sun. Rock Band drums, fan for when it gets warm due to all of the electronics, tiny sliver of my large DVD shelf.

tardcore on
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    My home office workstation with a pair of Dell U2311H monitors I picked up for $300 today. The hk570i amp you see on the left side of the frame was actually found peeking out of a dumpster and brought back to life after only a mild cleaning.

6639861303_e5fec06228_b.jpg

3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    how'd you get the apple wireless keyboard to play nice with Win7?