As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Shady3011 wrote:
    Best advice without spoiling much is to keep going up. Also, when you get to a bridge after beating a boss, run along the right.
    No fair. Everyone should have to learn this the hard way.

Also, my mini Gravelord got gravelorded in the undead burg by a dude with full elite knights and greater combustion with an upgraded pyro flame. He must have gone down through Havels door to the basin and back up through the garden to get the armor; that would also allow him to dodge the titanite demon and get to Andre and unlock the shortcut without even beating Taurus. I have a new plan to follow now.

Also, I wonder if maybe Gravelord buffed enemies only appear for higher covenant levels and if they are alive in the Gravelords world. I saw no evidence of the Gravelord aside from the sign, and his world had no enemies in it when I invaded.

• Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote:
    Shady3011 wrote:
    Best advice without spoiling much is to keep going up. Also, when you get to a bridge after beating a boss, run along the right.

The first time is really the only time you're in immediate danger. Plus, it's more of a screw you than actually practicing cautious gameplay like Blight Town or Sen's Fortress.

• Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    JihadJesus wrote:
    Shady3011 wrote:

Also, my mini Gravelord got gravelorded in the undead burg by a dude with full elite knights and greater combustion with an upgraded pyro flame. He must have gone down through Havels door to the basin and back up through the garden to get the armor; that would also allow him to dodge the titanite demon and get to Andre and unlock the shortcut without even beating Taurus. I have a new plan to follow now.

Also, I wonder if maybe Gravelord buffed enemies only appear for higher covenant levels and if they are alive in the Gravelords world. I saw no evidence of the Gravelord aside from the sign, and his world had no enemies in it when I invaded.

Since you have to invade the gravelord where they put their sign down, they probably cleared the area so that they had a safe place to take you on. I don't believe the phantoms created in your game are ever in the gravelord's world.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Has the truth about the pendant actually been revealed yet? I'm kind of annoyed that I took on the suggestion of the lead developer. It did fuck all beyond trading it to Snuggly.

steam_sig.png
    No, I don't think the phantoms are in his game. I'm hypothesizing that it creates black phantom enemies in your world based on what's alive in the Gravelord world. This would explain why you see them so rarely; the Gravelord would have to be hanging out in an area where he hadn't killed many of the enemies.

I wonder if we can come up with a way to check that; if it works the covenant would be much improved.

• DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    So, am I dark souling correctly or am I being a cheap fuck? I found a bunch of skeletons who promptly cut me in two. After a bunch of times I figured out I can smash them with the mace consitently. So now I keep killing the first 4 (who still occassionally kill me), and then aggroing the next 2 but running back to the steps, cause when I die (not if), I can get my souls back. I've upped my strength 3x doing this.

I'm not sure how I'm going to beat the three skeletons + big guy without cheaping the enviorment and using stairs to thin them out. Am I doing it right? Or should I be dodging and and such way down there.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    There's really no such thing as being cheap in Dark Souls, if you can kill a boss by having them backstep off a bridge to their death you do it.

Also
    TECHNICALLY you're going the wrong way, but there's really nothing stopping you from going that way if you want a challenge, however progression wise there's nothing there to move the story on yet

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    So it looks like if I want to get the Sunbro Covenant trophy, I’ll have to venture into the wonderful world of JOLLY CO-OPERATION (my faith is pathetically low). I’m level 75. Any recommendations on a place to drop my stone? I was thinking right in front of Four Kings, but if someone has a more thinks a different place would be better for my level, I’d love to hear it.

Can the summoned player heal him/herself? I know that invaders cannot but I didn’t know if it was the same for anyone not the host. I ask because my main method for killing the Four Kings solo was to throw on Havel’s Gear, stand right up next to the boss and swing swing drink, repeat. Not sure that would work very well if I can’t heal myself.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    I am really considering getting this game, I am a little concerned the challenge will wear me out though.

Do the rewards for the grueling difficulty make it enjoyable? How does the game reward you?

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
    edited December 2011
    bficky wrote:
    So it looks like if I want to get the Sunbro Covenant trophy, I’ll have to venture into the wonderful world of JOLLY CO-OPERATION (my faith is pathetically low). I’m level 75. Any recommendations on a place to drop my stone? I was thinking right in front of Four Kings, but if someone has a more thinks a different place would be better for my level, I’d love to hear it.

Can the summoned player heal him/herself? I know that invaders cannot but I didn’t know if it was the same for anyone not the host. I ask because my main method for killing the Four Kings solo was to throw on Havel’s Gear, stand right up next to the boss and swing swing drink, repeat. Not sure that would work very well if I can’t heal myself.

Four Kings of Gywn seemed to be pretty good places, you'll also get the odd latecomer to Smough and Ornstein and you can spend your waiting time grinding the knights.

Only with heal miracles or humanity, you get no estus flasks.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    bficky wrote:

Summoned player can't use Estus, I believe, but you can use healing miracles. They also lowered the faith requirement for Sunbros to 25, so it's a lot easier to join now.

I've never had much luck getting summoned to fight the Lords. If all you want is the trophy, it might be faster to just make a new, faith-based character and just go get it.

El Mucho wrote:
    I am really considering getting this game, I am a little concerned the challenge will wear me out though.

Do the rewards for the grueling difficulty make it enjoyable? How does the game reward you?
    The reward is largely the accomplishment as well as the knowledge you gain in the process and the awesome feeling you get when you wipe the floor with that boss next time.

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
    Can you play it as a single class or do you really need to be switching between different weapons/abilities to succeed?

• AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    So I'm on NG+ and had a Faith of 10. When I got to the Sunbro altar I was allowed to join. Did they change the requirements or something? Now I just need to grind my Faith up to use those sweet miracles. Also, how the hell do I avoid those backstabby invaders? I know, I know, move erratically, it doesn't seem to matter what I do. It's like they stick to me and no matter which direction I go, bam, stabbed in the back. Any tactical recommendations? I have thought of using some of the weapons that have ranged attack knockbacks and such but haven't had the chance to try that yet. Maybe use Force or something to get them away?

Ataxrxes wrote:
    So I'm on NG+ and had a Faith of 10. When I got to the Sunbro altar I was allowed to join. Did they change the requirements or something? Now I just need to grind my Faith up to use those sweet miracles. Also, how the hell do I avoid those backstabby invaders? I know, I know, move erratically, it doesn't seem to matter what I do. It's like they stick to me and no matter which direction I go, bam, stabbed in the back. Any tactical recommendations? I have thought of using some of the weapons that have ranged attack knockbacks and such but haven't had the chance to try that yet. Maybe use Force or something to get them away?

The requirement goes down by 5 for every boss you help defeat as a phantom.

Also the best success I have had against backstabbers is to charge towards the and just stay as close as possible while circling in the same direction as they are. Works a treat for me and most don't know what to do because they don't have any other tactics.

• AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    bficky wrote:

I'm level 79 now, and Four Kings has been the best place for me to get my jolly co-op on. Supposedly Seath and Nito are also great places for 70s, but I've never been summoned there for some reason. I've also been lucky with being summoned for Fatboy Slim from time to time.

You can also use humanity to heal yourself when summoned, so don't discount that. Havel's + a big sword is pretty much how I roll for co-op, and it works very well.

• AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    El Mucho wrote:
    Can you play it as a single class or do you really need to be switching between different weapons/abilities to succeed?

Single class works. I pretty much went through most of the game with a strength build using nothing more than a claymore + shield. Then I discovered how pyromancy would make my life so much easier...

All my PvP death since the patch have been from getting lag flamed with greater combustion; dudes facing totally away from me, fires it off and it hits me dead on froma direqction where he clearly was not. Im pretty sure that's the response to the 'hug and circle to avoid lagstab' tactic and it's kind of rage inducing.

You basically have to treat PvP like the bastards fucking invisible and could be literally anywhere, which kind of makes it hard to decide to attack.

The game play video in the OP has convinced me to that this is a game I would enjoy.

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    Is anyone up for xbox co-op? I have a level 65 or so character and a level 90 in NG+

Nerdgasmic wrote:
    Is anyone up for xbox co-op? I have a level 65 or so character and a level 90 in NG+

I just rang the first bell in NG+, about 86, think I leveled too much on my first run but be up for some JCO as long as the servers aren't region separated.

I have a 76 in NG+ that hasn't beaten anything past S&O. Looking for help cutting off Seath's tail. I could probably stand to level up a bit, at least.

my 65's sign is down at seathe's, near the bonfire

if you have it, using combustion/great combustion at perpendicular angle to the tail is a great way to easily cut it off

• bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    It took 10 or so tries, but I cut Seathe's tail off last night by letting him break the crystal for me as I ran around him and stabbed hit a few times with my lightning spear +5 while he was stunned.

Oh this was in NG, not NG+. I don't know if the same strategy would apply in NG+.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I should not have waited for NG+ to get Seath's tail. One hit, you die.

wVEsyIc.png
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    I got cursed by a gravelord, and now I can't find his damn symbol. Luckily I don't care about the chapel that much, and it's only a mild hindrance to run past a giant sword wielding black iron armor guy guarding the lifts. :)

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    bficky wrote:

Painted world. You'll net a nice amount of souls and people summon quite often there.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    El Mucho wrote:
    The game play video in the OP has convinced me to that this is a game I would enjoy.

Have fun. This game is magical. Like Jesus.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    All I can see is someone hurling a bible during mass and ragequitting church.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    csg-sign01pltext5SUNSCH.jpg

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited December 2011
    ugh, my new character didn't get a black knight sword or shield from three of the sword knights I've found

but of course he got that lame ass halberd

Nerdgasmic on
    The door glitch still works in 1.05, just get the lordvessel and glitch yourself through the door if you really really want the sword.

• DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    Man, this game punishes you for being cocky. So, I was in the wrong area and ended up getting a sweet mace and like 3 levels. I finally found the right way to go (I think), and I was pretty much one shotting skeletons. So I get brave and cocky and try to parry and miss and the skeleton off loads on me for like half my health and hten another comes from behind me and does a flying stab in my back. Kills me. :(

Then I finally got to a long bridge, feeling pretty bad ass, thinking man, there has to be a bonfire behind that door.........hit OPEN DOOR, and a 20 foot monster falls from the sky and smushes me dead. God dammit! I now just want to crush this game to show it didn't beat me!!

• BackBack Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote:
    All my PvP death since the patch have been from getting lag flamed with greater combustion; dudes facing totally away from me, fires it off and it hits me dead on froma direqction where he clearly was not. Im pretty sure that's the response to the 'hug and circle to avoid lagstab' tactic and it's kind of rage inducing.

You basically have to treat PvP like the bastards fucking invisible and could be literally anywhere, which kind of makes it hard to decide to attack.

Yup. I came to terms with the occasional lagstabs and soul spears that hit you from a mile away, and was enjoying the hell out of PvP. Then this guy comes in, spams combustion nowhere near me, and I dodge and I dodge and still get hit by every single one and die without landing a hit. Instant loss of interest in PvP forever. Such a shame.

DrunkMc wrote:
    Man, this game punishes you for being cocky. So, I was in the wrong area and ended up getting a sweet mace and like 3 levels. I finally found the right way to go (I think), and I was pretty much one shotting skeletons. So I get brave and cocky and try to parry and miss and the skeleton off loads on me for like half my health and hten another comes from behind me and does a flying stab in my back. Kills me. :(

Then I finally got to a long bridge, feeling pretty bad ass, thinking man, there has to be a bonfire behind that door.........hit OPEN DOOR, and a 20 foot monster falls from the sky and smushes me dead. God dammit! I now just want to crush this game to show it didn't beat me!!

One of us...

I was the same when I first started playing, not playing Demon's Souls hadn't prepared me for how viscious it can be. But there is something hugely refreshing about dying and the game not cuddling you and saying it's going to be ok but dragging you back to your feet, slapping you round the face and calling you a moron for being so stupid and unprepared but then compelling you to push on again until you get it right.

Restarted my low level gravelord and managed to make it to Andre via the darkroot basin/garden route. At first I tried to kill Havel with an unupgraded battle axe at lvl 3; that was pretty hilarious. Got him halfway once, though.

the catacombs are really brutal early on

something reset one of the bridges and now I have to make some kind of crazy detour just to get back on track to getting to the gravelord again (I got the eyes of death, but then the demon killed me)

Nerdgasmic wrote:
    the catacombs are really brutal early on

something reset one of the bridges and now I have to make some kind of crazy detour just to get back on track to getting to the gravelord again (I got the eyes of death, but then the demon killed me)
    I wouldn't even bother with that for low level; just farm eyes in the depths before you go down.

well, it's a bit late for that now

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Shady3011 wrote:
    JihadJesus wrote:
    Shady3011 wrote:

The first time is really the only time you're in immediate danger. Plus, it's more of a screw you than actually practicing cautious gameplay like Blight Town or Sen's Fortress.

Cautious game-play? Blight Town? What? I went back after the Depths boss and used my Master Key to skip 3/4 of that shit. And I don't regret one bit of it! W00T!

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I guess it's a real boon to NG+ to be able to skip a lot of the more questionable areas. But first time through, I pretty much have to go through everything via the front door. Since I want all that shiny loot. I'm never going to use any piece of that wizard armor, but dammit I still want it!

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
This discussion has been closed.