As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SW:TOR] Tanks like spanking.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    so are Assassins good tanks too? They do hae a tanking tree. I wish I could duo-spec like in Rift =(

i want to level up as dps, but switch to tanking if i have to

I've leveled purely as tank-spec Shadow, and ability-wise it's essentially the same as DPSing.

• VicVic Registered User regular
    I've just started a shadow tank and I think I am getting close to choosing my crew skills. The thing is, I am pretty sure that I will choose Biochem which means I will be taking Bioanalysis, but I am not sure about Diplomacy. It seems like I will be playing a carebear in the story anyway which I assume means I will not be needing the light side points and thuswaste half of that crew skill. Is the Biochem stuff you get from diplomacy vital or could I take Underworld trading instead to hopefully get recipes I could exchange for armor with guild synthweavers?

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    You will absolutely want Diplomacy with Bio/Bio unless you want to spend a LOT on the GTN. Here is why:

You can make medpacks, stimpacks, and adrenals. These are health pots, elixirs, and 15 second duration stat potions. The green version is okay, the blue version is better(Med kit adds a HoT, stimpack lasts 2 hours instead of 1 and persists through death flask style) However, when you re-engineer the blue ones and get the purple version, that version is only usable by someone with Biochem(You can still trade it, but it's not usable unless you have the skill). However, these don't go away. They're no longer consumable, so you can have a health pack, an endurance stim, and an armor boost adrenal that never go away when you click them.

The blue/purple medical supplies required to craft those come from Diplomacy. The LS/DS points are just a bonus.

• LouieLouie Registered User regular
    Guardian at 30 ..... Skill bloat. I know I am getting 2 more skills from talent tree as well as a saber throw and a skill called cyclone slash. I don't have room for these skills!!!

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yeah, there's some serious bloat going on.

I really hope they add WoW/Rift-style macros soon, that'll save me a ton of buttons.

• VicVic Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote:
    You will absolutely want Diplomacy with Bio/Bio unless you want to spend a LOT on the GTN. Here is why:

You can make medpacks, stimpacks, and adrenals. These are health pots, elixirs, and 15 second duration stat potions. The green version is okay, the blue version is better(Med kit adds a HoT, stimpack lasts 2 hours instead of 1 and persists through death flask style) However, when you re-engineer the blue ones and get the purple version, that version is only usable by someone with Biochem(You can still trade it, but it's not usable unless you have the skill). However, these don't go away. They're no longer consumable, so you can have a health pack, an endurance stim, and an armor boost adrenal that never go away when you click them.

The blue/purple medical supplies required to craft those come from Diplomacy. The LS/DS points are just a bonus.

Thank you for the really useful info!

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's worth noting that the LS/DS gains are fairly minor. Around 10-15 for missions, and there is always one mission of each type (though not necessarily the same yield) available, so you can easily compensate for going the wrong way every now and then.

YL9WnCY.png
    Louie wrote:
    Guardian at 30 ..... Skill bloat. I know I am getting 2 more skills from talent tree as well as a saber throw and a skill called cyclone slash. I don't have room for these skills!!!

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I'm fairly confident they will remove the CD on Sundering strike so it just replaces strike when they do a Guardian pass, so there's at least that.

Also, Pommel strike and Opportune strike are only usable on silver star or lower mobs and not at all in pvp, so you may as well take them off your bar. I did anyway. I mean, pommel hits hard, and is usable after a sweep or whatever, but stuff dies fast enough just using blade storm and all that so I just don't care to keep such a marginal skill on my bars with all the bloat already going on.

I was really excited about those abilities when I read the tooltips, thinking I was going to get to use them in pvp on people after applying CCs, but alas, nope.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Even at 23 I'm finding I tend to use certain attacks and ignore others. I would very much like if Sundering strike lost its cooldown so it could just be my straight focus generator.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I took Strike off my toolbar as soon as I got Sundering Strike and never really had any issues with Sundering Strike's cooldown (so far at level 17), with the caveat that I have to allocate 1 second or so waiting between ability uses or I'll be out of focus too much, and I'm otherwise fine with this situation. But that generally only starts to matter after the initial flurry of Force Leap > Sundering Strike > Force Sweep > Sundering Strike > Master Strike > Slash > Sundering Strike > Slash.

Maybe this might change somewhat when I start Riposting more. I rarely use it at this point because 3 focus is too much and it doesn't provide its defensive bonus, but when it hits 1 focus I can throw it in more often. I don't ever use Blade Storm unless the 33% proc chance triggers off Force Leap because fuck paying 4 focus on it.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    That is a change they definitely need to make to the FU tank variants. I hope that actually happens, as it makes perfect sense that a Guardian/Juggernaut would use that as their primary generator.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    If they have to I could see making it a talented thing if they are suddenly worried guardians will start sundering striking god or something.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote:
    If they have to I could see making it a talented thing if they are suddenly worried guardians will start sundering striking god or something.

I think they would probably be more worried that it would up our Rage/Focus gen a ton, as everyone takes the Sunder = 1 extra point talent...it's two points at tier 1 :P

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Yea, I think they've pretty much assumed Guardians will use Sundering Strike most of the time by virtue of the +1 focus 2/2 talent and the double armor debuff application at later levels when you have free points.

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited December 2011
    Aegis wrote:
    I don't ever use Blade Storm unless the 33% proc chance triggers off Force Leap because fuck paying 4 focus on it.

I took that talent up to 3 so it always procs. i guess i don't have focus problems so don't mind not having the 1 bonus focus from sundering strike. I guess blade barrier means I always want to get the blade storm off ASAP.

BTW the 5th tier of defense talents are godly - i was like a kid in a candy shop!

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    I thought about taking it but couldn't really justify spending three points in it when I'm using Force Leap usually once per fight, maybe twice if for some reason everything's split up.

Characters
    Aegis wrote:
    I thought about taking it but couldn't really justify spending three points in it when I'm using Force Leap usually once per fight, maybe twice if for some reason everything's split up.

but if you use force push you can force leap again - it's really useful

camo_sig.png
    edited December 2011
    I don't have force push yet!

Clearly I have some hard decisions ahead as I level.

Aegis on
    Characters
    Aegis wrote:
    I don't have force push yet!

Clearly I have some hard decisions ahead as I level.

It is the bestest power ever - i did a heroic group soon after getting it and was force pushing dudes of cliffs, force pushing self destructing droids away from groups just as they were dying, felt soooooooooo good.

camo_sig.png
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote:

I may not have the names of the skills right because I play Juggernaut and not JK, but Force Leap is a great way to fill up a rage bar mid-fight on non-bosses.

Force Push -> Force Charge = Rage gain and a short knockdown on the target.

When you're higher level you can turn this into...

Force Push -> Saber Throw -> Force Charge = 6 Rage! Plus it feels so good.

Also this may be a good place to point out, you can Force Push non-boss mobs in certain flashpoints into the endless pits below, killing them instantly. It often gives credit for the kill if they are for a bonus mission, though I've encountered times when it does not, so use at your own discretion. (I.E. Use it often because it is the best thing.)

I respecced to Vengeance this morning, just to try it out (had been Immortal)...haven't gotten to try it yet, but I expect a pretty good jump in DPS.

Yeah I took the talent for leap to give me a free attack. Especially since I tend to leap, wait for any meele enemies to gather, force sweep, and then blade storm the guy I leaped to finish him off.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I can't be the only guardian who gets a little giddy when they are advancing on the last blaster user and your guy is deflecting blaster shots like its going out of style?

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote:
    I can't be the only guardian who gets a little giddy when they are advancing on the last blaster user and your guy is deflecting blaster shots like its going out of style?

I enjoy it as a Juggernaut as well. It's quite the movie moment.

Preacher wrote:

Saving Blade Shield just for him

Characters
    I'm only 1/3 in the free blade storm after a leap talent. I wanted 3/3 but it just doesn't fit into my tank build. Just like I want the lower force push/aoe taunt talent. Ah well, choices. I use blade storm all the time tanking, it's one of if not my highest damage per focus abilities right now. I doubt that'll change even when I have guardian slash, because by then I'll have the talent that doubles my soresu form focus build.

Here's my level 50 tank build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500dMGcubrouRZhGM.1

The only additional point I could possibly see going into free storm would be the one in stasis mastery, but hell no to that because being able to stasis an enemy and make them unable to hit me for 3 seconds/take damage while I do other abilities is one of my favorite things.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah, one of the nicer flavor perks of being a tank is seeing all the actual parries and blaster deflections and stuff, instead of just being a giant meat shield

Playing a jedi knight, with my jedi companion character I feel like I'm playing a star wars movie, just from watching my guy dismantle opponents and hearing my companion call things out "Catching up to your score boss."

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Yeah, it's pretty epic feeling. Force pushing people off ledges, all the awesome animations, etc.

I do like how none of the tanks in this game use a shield at all. We are all just absorbing damage with our awesomness.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Well, technically all of us wear a shield, but it's just a rad shield generator sci fi style so we don't have to hold it visibly. =)

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    I do like how none of the tanks in this game use a shield at all. We are all just absorbing damage with our awesomness.

It's both great and not great for me. I enjoyed having that big hunk of metal in WoW, though I also enjoyed being a big ol' bear. With the bear I was always telling the warriors to "Be a real man like me. I block with my face." I'm hoping the Powertech will duplicate some of that 'looks like a tank' feeling.

Even on my Sorceress now, I really enjoy the blaster deflections I get from time to time. Looking forward to doing that a lot more as a tank :)

Joshmvii wrote:
    I'm only 1/3 in the free blade storm after a leap talent. I wanted 3/3 but it just doesn't fit into my tank build. Just like I want the lower force push/aoe taunt talent. Ah well, choices. I use blade storm all the time tanking, it's one of if not my highest damage per focus abilities right now. I doubt that'll change even when I have guardian slash, because by then I'll have the talent that doubles my soresu form focus build.

Here's my level 50 tank build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500dMGcubrouRZhGM.1

The only additional point I could possibly see going into free storm would be the one in stasis mastery, but hell no to that because being able to stasis an enemy and make them unable to hit me for 3 seconds/take damage while I do other abilities is one of my favorite things.

You...pretty much posted my exact build going up to 50, extra points in Vigilance and all. It's a pity that the Focus tree has absolutely no worthwhile picks as a tank.

Characters
    Aegis wrote:
    Joshmvii wrote:

You...pretty much posted my exact build going up to 50, extra points in Vigilance and all. It's a pity that the Focus tree has absolutely no worthwhile picks as a tank.

I think it speaks to how nice the early talents are in vigilance less so than focus not having anything as good.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    So, while racking my brain for a legacy name (and waiting for people to get on to do Boarding Party) figure I'd might theorycraft my Powertech tank.

Right now, this is what I have: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoMrdkroM.1
    ...and this is what I'm going for: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoMrdRrogzZbsbM.1

(for you Troopers, it's http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GoMrdkroM.1 and http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GoMrdRrogzZbsbM.1 :P)
    Has been good for everything so far (though the final guy in Act 1 was a little dodgy, thanks to the mechanics behind it needing good dps) I plan on PvPing on and off again, hence the No Escape and Advanced Tools, over other choices in the trees. Whatcha think?

steam_sig.png
    I have fallen in love with Force Kick after running the 2+ Blood Sport in Nar Shadda with just myself as a Guardian and a Gunslinger. Saved our lives on the last boss with the number of times I was able to interrupt his continual channelled strikes.

Characters
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    So harnessing shadows might be the best boost. After 3 projects, Telekenisis throw does 75% more damage, can't be pushbacked or interrupted and heals for 3% total health each tick. It may look dumb, pebble throw, but it's been enough to save me long enough to kill a few bosses after everyone else wipes.

Fyi stop standing AoEs. Competent groups other than just not moving fast enough.

• cassiusregicidecassiusregicide Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Foefaller wrote:

...and this is what I'm going for: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoMrdRrogzZbsbM.1

This is the exact talent setup I'm going for with my powertech. Right now I'm fooling around with my rotation. I've been starting with explosive dart << rocket punch << rail shot << flame burst. Sprinkle in regular shots and cc darts as needed. What is everyone else using?

*edit* I suppose I should mention I am level 22

cassiusregicide on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Foefaller wrote:

This is the exact talent setup I'm going for with my powertech. Right now I'm fooling around with my rotation. I've been starting with explosive dart << rocket punch << rail shot << flame burst. Sprinkle in regular shots and cc darts as needed. What is everyone else using?

*edit* I suppose I should mention I am level 22

That's what I did. Once I hit 30, explosive dart was replaced my Jet charge, and Flame sweep became my go-to AoE once I had it unless I'm doing a ranged pull.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I was finally getting comfortable with tanking on my Shadow when I replaced my keyboard. Now I'm terrified to even play.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr