As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

August 23rd @ High Dive, Pre-PAX Nerdcore show!

petfishpetfish Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in PAX Archive
From http://optimusrhyme.com/. There's going to be a pre-PAX show with most of our musical guests! If you're worried you might miss one of the concerts, need something to do the night before PAX, or just want some more nerdcore goodness, you might want to pencil this in!

August 23, 2007 -- High Dive
513 N. 36th, Seattle
9:30 PM
21+
It's a pre-PAX nerdcore fiesta with the following AutoBeat Allies in attendance: MC Frontalot, The Goondox, Beefy and the first lady of nerdcore herself, miss MC Router!

<khoo> PAX WAS LIKE A ZILLION DAYS
petfish on

• b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Currently, this will hold conflict with the Movie Raid, so I think it will be a good idea to consider adjusting the schedule to put the movie *before* dinner-- so we can make our way to this as well. If all goes well in that adjustment:
    <moe_fwacky> this is gonna be the best pre-pax ever

b0wser on
  • Sl1pstreamSl1pstream [E] BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Awesome. I should be arriving that night so while I probably won't be able to make the movie/dinner, I've got one and a half hour to get from the airport to my hotel and then this show. I should make it just in time, I think.

Sl1pstream on
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is this within walking distance of the convention center?

Maybe we can we get some Google maps in this piece?

anable on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    http://www.google.com/maps?q=513+N+36th+St,+Seattle,+WA+98103,+USA&sa=X&oi=map&ct=title

3.3 miles, not really looking like easy walking distance.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited June 2007
    That takes what, 45 minutes? While it isn't nothing, it's certainly doable.

Sl1pstream on
    edited June 2007
    Perhaps a bus is in order? Anybody know a bus route that way?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TheProphetElijahTheProphetElijah Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    the 28 drops off right across the street from the High-Dive and by cab or car Freemont (where the High-Dive is) is only like 10 minutes away (from the convention center that is). Freemont has a pretty good bar crawl too.

TheProphetElijah on
  • nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I would not recommend walking. Unless you're an avid walker... plus you probably just don't want to be walking around in some of those areas on the way back at 2am (they're not populated areas at night).

This is one of those things where'd it'd be a good idea to take a cab with 3 other people... or take the 28 bus from 3rd & Pike (about 3 blocks from the convention center) like Elijah mentioned.

Fremont is a quirky little neighborhood... if you're planning on catching this show, and if you're in town early enough on Thursday (and if the weather is nice) I'd recommend getting up there early enough to grab dinner & take in some of the atmosphere... you'll get a lot more "seattle culture" in a neighborhood like Fremont than you would downtown. Lotsa interesting stuff to see.

nearlysober on
  • AceRimmerAceRimmer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This sounds awesome. I will be definitely be there.

You can take a cab or you can take Crown Black Car. Lincoln Towncars driven by punks with metal on the stereo. They charge a flat rate, so they drive fast.

AceRimmer on
    edited June 2007
    Thanks Rimmer, i mean Ace. You just taught me something new, I will have to call Crown Black next time. Which will probably be tonight.

TheProphetElijah on
    edited June 2007
    Just when you thought the thread was dead.

Is there a place where everyone's getting together after the dinner to go to the show?

Sl1pstream on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I believe that since the dinner is moving along in shifts that people will probably move on to the show as soon as they get booted out of their seats to make room for more hungry people. That's my plan at any rate, and since I hadn't seen anyone stating otherwise I figured that the meeting place to go to the show was either outside PF Chang's or... at the front door of the High Dive.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • langrilangri Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sounds like fun. I'll try to be there.

langri on
  • atrayatray Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Good question to bring up at dinner. Befriend some seattle people that have a car and catch a ride to the highdive. :)

atray on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    the high dive is a very small bar. i've been there a couple times, no more than maybe 50-75 people could be packed into there.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited June 2007
    Oh, haha, this is gonna be funny.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited June 2007
    its true, the high dive is narrow and long.

atray on
  • AceRimmerAceRimmer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It looks like this:
    544422308_85c36e7c8c.jpg

81861698_04ec164f77.jpg

AceRimmer on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Holy crap there are windows back there?!

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    edited June 2007
    Tonkka wrote: »

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Actually at first I thought, that can't be the High Dive, it must be Tost. But after much looking I think I just have never seen the windows back there.

TheProphetElijah on
    edited June 2007
    Tonkka wrote: »

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Actually at first I thought, that can't be the High Dive, it must be Tost. But after much looking I think I just have never seen the windows back there.

Yeah, they've always got the drapes down every time I've been there. Of course, it's always the dead of night anytime I venture out to a show in Fremont, I don't really "hang out" there during the day. Ah, the land of $3 PBR...

Tonkka on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    Oh, haha, this is gonna be funny.

El Oh El indeed. If even 1/3 of the dinner people show up they are gonna be proper fux0r3d.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited June 2007
    Are you kidding me the High Dive is allways so empty anyway that they are going to be thrilled.

TheProphetElijah on
    edited June 2007
    and then they're gonna panic as they realize that they're over capacity for the first time EVER.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited June 2007
    The last time I was there the place was packed.

Edit: Just got off the phone with the high dive. They said 250 people can fit in there comfortably and 300ish is tight but is still doable.

atray on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    atray wrote: »

Edit: Just got off the phone with the high dive. They said 250 people can fit in there comfortably and 300ish is tight but is still doable.

lmao, yeah, they would say that. ask them to read the fire marshal plaque on the wall.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited July 2007
    AceRimmer wrote: »
    It looks like this:
    544422308_85c36e7c8c.jpg

81861698_04ec164f77.jpg

wtf? this isn't the same high dive as i've been to. is that in seattle? this is a pic from a show i attended at the high dive, not the same place:
    p00072iy6.jpg

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    edited July 2007
    dyaballikl wrote: »

lmao, yeah, they would say that. ask them to read the fire marshal plaque on the wall.

Have you read there fire marshal plaque? I told them theres going to be about 200 possible more for the show and they said thats fine. So I wouldnt be worried about it.

atray on
    edited July 2007
    dyaballikl wrote: »

Have you read there fire marshal plaque? I told them theres going to be about 200 possible more for the show and they said thats fine. So I wouldnt be worried about it.
    i'm not so sure anymore that we're talking about the same place.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The lettering in the names is the same. Is it a chain?

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
    edited July 2007
    We're all talking about the same place, I'm pretty sure. The photos taken inside are a) during the daytime b) with the curtains on stage drawn revealing windows (which I had never known were there) and c) taken about halfway into the venue right behind the soundboard and right in front of the end of the bar.

It's not "big" really, but it is deep, and probably could fit 250+ people. I've been there for some big events, and packed, there were probably some 200 or so folks ahgin' out with enough room to move around.

Tonkka on
  • frecklefreckle Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would not recommend walking. Unless you're an avid walker... plus you probably just don't want to be walking around in some of those areas on the way back at 2am (they're not populated areas at night).

This is one of those things where'd it'd be a good idea to take a cab with 3 other people... or take the 28 bus from 3rd & Pike (about 3 blocks from the convention center) like Elijah mentioned.

Fremont is a quirky little neighborhood... if you're planning on catching this show, and if you're in town early enough on Thursday (and if the weather is nice) I'd recommend getting up there early enough to grab dinner & take in some of the atmosphere... you'll get a lot more "seattle culture" in a neighborhood like Fremont than you would downtown. Lotsa interesting stuff to see.
    fremont is very quirky and fun during the day, but at night it turns into fratboy central for some reason. if you can get there early to poke around (go see the troll) i would so recommend it. if you can't, please don't judge seattle by the awful fremont nightlife scene.

as for the high dive, in my experience it is a very small place and always packed. hopefully the lack of slutty girls on this night will scare the fratboys across the street to the ballroom and pax people will have it to themselves. it will still be stuffed, but at least you will be rubbing up against potentially interesting people.

freckle on
This discussion has been closed.