As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I've been having a grand ol' time with Dark Souls. I enjoy it more than Demon Souls, if only because the world is open.

I don't think I'd say this game is harder than Demon Souls. More challenging is a better word. Which may not make sense, but when I play the game I don't feel like it is harder I just feel like it challenges me more than Demon Souls did. Hopefully someone here understands me. :)

Dark Souls does give you a number of things to make life easier over Demon Souls. Refillable healing flask, spells don't take mana, campfire check points, you don't loose half your health when you become Hollow, and while I wouldn't say the game holds your hand at all I do think it explains some things better than Demon Souls.

Though if they do a third Souls game I hope they drop their weird co-op system and just allow me to invite my buddies whenever I want. Actually they can keep the current system, but give me the option to invite specific people as well.

On a different note, is there anything that changes the size of your character? Cause I've seen a dude next to a campfire one time who looked like he was freaking nine feet tall and 300 pounds. I thought he was some kind of crazy mini-boss until he disappeared. When hell of a scare it was! :p

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    some armors make you look fatter and bulkier, but I think the physical build you pick is the main determinant of your character's size

• DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    DrunkMc wrote:
    Man, this game punishes you for being cocky. So, I was in the wrong area and ended up getting a sweet mace and like 3 levels. I finally found the right way to go (I think), and I was pretty much one shotting skeletons. So I get brave and cocky and try to parry and miss and the skeleton off loads on me for like half my health and hten another comes from behind me and does a flying stab in my back. Kills me. :(

Then I finally got to a long bridge, feeling pretty bad ass, thinking man, there has to be a bonfire behind that door.........hit OPEN DOOR, and a 20 foot monster falls from the sky and smushes me dead. God dammit! I now just want to crush this game to show it didn't beat me!!

One of us...

I was the same when I first started playing, not playing Demon's Souls hadn't prepared me for how viscious it can be. But there is something hugely refreshing about dying and the game not cuddling you and saying it's going to be ok but dragging you back to your feet, slapping you round the face and calling you a moron for being so stupid and unprepared but then compelling you to push on again until you get it right.

So finally beat the Burg place! Holy shit, 4 or so hours of game time and it prolly takes 3 mins to run from Bonfire to the boss. And then they're such dicks they don't even put a bonfire right after the boss, you have to walk towards a huge frigging dragon going, "Oh no, oh no, oh no!!!"

But I can now wield the Zweihander single handed and I have a giant metal pig's head for a helmet......I'm starting to love this game!

• Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    Does anyone want donate or trade for titanite slabs? I've neen farming over two hours and haven't seen one drop. I'm on the PS3

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    DrunkMc wrote:
    But I can now wield the Zweihander single handed and I have a giant metal pig's head for a helmet......I'm starting to love this game!
    Doesn't that take like 30 STR? That's a ton early on, have you been upping your stamina at all?

it's only 24 strength

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    the catacombs are really brutal early on

something reset one of the bridges and now I have to make some kind of crazy detour just to get back on track to getting to the gravelord again (I got the eyes of death, but then the demon killed me)

You don't have to take any bridges at all to get to Nito.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmcJunY-Pv4

Basically start watching from 6:50, but the big shortcut is at 7:30. He lands right outside the tunnel to the demon/coffin for Nito. I've been doing this shortcut ever since I saw it and it works perfectly. If you make sure your last bonfire is Firelink, just use a bone to get out and you wont have to worry about running out.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    wow, I didn't know you could do that at all

I'll have to try that in the future

Nerdgasmic wrote:
    wow, I didn't know you could do that at all

I'll have to try that in the future
    Yeah that first shortcut will make it much less rage inducing to make a dash for the gravelord covenant site or Vamos.

Also gets you to the ring of darkmoon and TWoP pretty fast as well.

And, to top it off, you can get to Pinwheel really quick, which means you can kindle high if you kill him, which, if you have the gravelord sword, is really really easy.

yeah, I got the rite of kindling on my third character which has not even been to blight town yet

• smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    I discovered that shortcut on accident on my first playthrough. I still don't really know how to beat those wheel skeletons, really.

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
    Dodge or block while near a wall so that they hit you on an angle (don't take their full spin or you'll probably run out of stam and die). After they bypass you and spend their energy on the wall, whack em til they stop moving. Move in to the room slowly so you only pull one at a time, they have a HUGE agro range.

I have been busy today. Finally joined the Sunbros. That Lightning Spear miracle was more than worth it. I defeated Gaping Dragon and Quelaag. Both defeated with liberal use of the Bro-bolt.

Also rocking a Divine Mace.

Farming those slimes in the Depths, actually farming everything in the Depths is freaking great. Rats drop Humanity, Humanity increases drop rate, rats drop even more Humanity. In no time at all I had a stockpile of about 15 Humanity. The slimes don't drop Green Titanite as often as I'd like, but I was able to get my mace up to +4. So far it is the easiest place for me to obtain the Green Titanite.

I'm probably going to go back down to the Depths to farm some more.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    One of the best spots is right before Nito in the Tombs, but blech, that's a one stop shop if there ever was one, because screw fighting your way down there more than once.

wVEsyIc.png
    personally, I think that spot is terrible

the humanity the baby skeletons drop disappears in seconds, they are difficult to hit, they swarm, and they inflict toxic status

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Yeah, it didn't do anything for me either. Maybe if there had been a way back from the Nito bonfire I would have given it a second chance.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    did they make it so that you can't warp to the bed of chaos's bonfire anymore? my second character has beat it, but the option isn't there

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Started playing this a bit after a copy showed up locally for the 360 (yea, it took this long since release :( ). I knew I was in for a hilarious good time when after dodging the boss in the starter area I turned to head up some stairs and was flattened by a boulder. Looks like this game will be sucking me in as hard as Demon's Souls did. :D

wWuzwvJ.png
  • FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Beat Gwyn for the first time. Now onto NG+!

steam_sig.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Does anyone want donate or trade for titanite slabs? I've neen farming over two hours and haven't seen one drop. I'm on the PS3

I think I can help you out. What's your SL?

wVEsyIc.png
  • AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    How do you slide down the ladders like that? I have tried seemingly every button. Can you do it on the Xbox?

Yeah, B button. For some reason there's a second or so delay after you get on the ladder before it'll let you do it even though it looks like the animation is finished and the toon's ready to climb.

is anyone up for queelag's on the xbox? my guy is around level 30 or so.

• _Mantis__Mantis_ Registered User new member
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    personally, I think that spot is terrible

the humanity the baby skeletons drop disappears in seconds, they are difficult to hit, they swarm, and they inflict toxic status

It's not that bad if you've got the right weapon for it and you're quick on keeping an eye out on humanity that drops. I went down there once with a lightning halberd and then later with a +15 bastard sword and found that the two handed attacks with both were pretty good at killing everything in the area without much of a problem with aiming or getting mobbed. If you don't take much damage or get infected with toxic you can pretty much stay there for as long as you like, and with full item discovery the drop rate is so good that you won't mind missing out on the odd humanity that disappears before you can get to it.

I got so caught up in it last time I went down there that I spent almost an hour just repeatedly killing baby skeletons and I ended up with over 250k souls and about 40 humanity.

• gvandalegvandale Registered User regular
    I did the area for about two hours, got about 120 humanity and roughly 300,000 souls. I used a +10 fire uchi, then a +10 divine uchi when the fire one was about to break. Homeward bone to the fire nearest Patches, rinse and repeat. Real simple process, sure I wasn't able to grab every humanity drop, but I ended up with a ton.

Current Game(s) List: Disgaea 4 (PS3) & Dead Island (XBox 360)
    PSN Id: gvandale
    Xbox Live: Darth Vandale
  • Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    General question for 360 players:

when you boot up the disc, do you get a second-long flash of a black screen with multiple white rectangles? Just wondering if my disc has any read errors. I haven't noticed any problems with the actual gameplay, but I'm curious if anyone else has encountered the same issue.

Red or Alive on
    I get that sometimes

• _Mantis__Mantis_ Registered User new member
    I've only started getting that recently. I tried to warp at a bonfire and the game just refused to do anything, I was just stuck there with only the ability to move the camera around. It was very strange and I had to reset the 360. Since then I've been getting the white lines flash up every time I start the game.

• Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    Maybe it's to do with the most recent patch. Anyway, I'm happy I'm not the only one and my disc is fine. Probably.

Sen's Fortress is complete. That place was a bitch.

Made it to Anor Londo and it has been relatively easy, up until I got to a fucking catwalk with two god damn snipers on the other side. Very rage inducing.

does anyone want to do new londo/four kings with my SL ~50 character later?

@Axen - regarding the green titanite, you might want to try the leeches in the swamp part of blighttown. They can drop 5 greens at a time, there are about 20 of them and a lap doesn't take long. Your estus alone should be enough to keep you alive, wont need purple plants.

While you're farming depths, be sure to put your summon stone down as well. It's a nice little bonus to kill the dragon while you're farming humanity and shards.

Only channellers staff left to get the rare weap trophy, but the fucking thing wont drop. I farmed the shit out of dukes archives last night at 2nd bonfire and no staff. I read that it can be the worst to get if you get unlucky. Wish I could give it to myself from another char. Ugh.

if only xbox and ps3 players could connect with each other :(

yeah :(

• LorkLork Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    if only xbox and ps3 players could connect with each other :(
    I sent you a message on live yesterday. I guess you were already done by the time I noticed?

Steam Profile: Lork
    I missed it

for some reason I just don't get pop-up notifications for messages

I did beat them a while after I replied, though

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Lord Gwyn was disappointingly easy once I discovered his huge riposte window.

• smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    General question for 360 players:

when you boot up the disc, do you get a second-long flash of a black screen with multiple white rectangles? Just wondering if my disc has any read errors. I haven't noticed any problems with the actual gameplay, but I'm curious if anyone else has encountered the same issue.
    Yeah, I see that every time I turn the game on.

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    edit:Answered my own question

Scosglen on
This discussion has been closed.