As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] DONE! Go post in the younger, sexier thread.

minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying fieldnjRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Games and Technology
DNfgD.png

NYkZ8.png
fzsT8.pngtErbf.png

steamlogom.png
facebook.gif twitter.gif

fzsT8.pngCoping with Steam: Artistic Commentary on Our Shared AfflictiontErbf.png
tMRzb.jpg

xHlDY.jpg

JG9rG.jpg

steamthemall.jpg

steamdiscs.jpg

paydaycomic.jpg

fzsT8.pngMost Frequently Asked QuestionstErbf.png

1.  Steam's search tool is cumbersome and not very informative. Is there a website, other than Steam's, I can go to find out what's on sale?
2.  Can I register this copy of (Insert Game Here) on Steam?
Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it. You can also use this to add your own shortcuts with fake names to your Steam games list to make it look like you're playing Episode 3. Hilarious

3.  If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?
Not usually. You're welcome to ask in this thread, although if you Google it it'll probably be answered even faster.

4.  Why isn't __Insert Game Here__ available in my horrible little corner of the earth?
Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire.  Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game.

5.  How do I get an invite to the Penny Arcade Steam group?
The most convenient way is to just post a link to your Steam profile page (getting one of the swank signatures described below makes it easy) and ask for an invite. Just as a word of advice, we tend to prefer that you be a regular contributor to get an invite to the group. The rule of thumb is 6 months of activity on the forums. We are well known for our generosity, and like to make sure any new additions are here for the good of the community, and not to leech during sales. That said, we're a friendly group, so make yourself at home and start posting and you'll be there in no time!

6.  How does trading items/games work?
Trading is now built in to Steam, hurray! Read all about how it works right here.

fzsT8.pngSome Words on GiftingtErbf.png

If you receive a game or pack via a gift or a contest, remember to thank that person either through a PM or by announcing it in the thread. This is not optional. We are classy gentlemen and will act as such.

Steam's new gifting features allow you to store up games in your gift bank when you purchase them, instead of having to email yourself the gift link. It'll be an option during checkout.  

A few things to remember as a giftee:
1. Make it possible to track you from PA Forums to Steam. A link directly to your steam ID is usually the most convenient. Remember, your Steam ID is different than your steam name. If you just include text to your steam name, we have to search and scroll through 5 pages to find you (and we may not find you if you're not using the same name/avatar combo!).

2. Make it possible to track you from Steam to PA Forums. Best bet is using similar avatar/name. Understandably, some people don't want to do that. In that case, you should have "I'm ______ on Penny Arcade Forums!" in your profile blurb.

Generally speaking, if you're selected for a gift from a stranger on here it will be, usually, one of two ways:

You will either post in the thread (so they will go to your profile to friend you and then to the store to send a gift.
—or—
Someone will want to gift a certain game and go to the store page where you can see everyone who has it on their wishlist.

Also, remember that a gifter can see when you added a game to your wishlist. If you add it on the day of the sale, you might have a smaller chance of being gifted it than someone who has been interested in it since release. Gifters should also make sure they are identifiable from Steam to PA Forums. Some people are shy and are too nervous to message a gifter and say "hey thanks, I have no idea who you are on forums!"

fzsT8.pngAn Important Word on ConteststErbf.png

If you decide to run or participate in a giveaway contest for gift copies of games, please remember that all entry submissions must now be made via PM. The forum mods have stated that pages of the thread being filled with pictures, videos, etc. submitted as contest entries will lead to such contests being banned. So please, for the sake of the thread – take it to PMs.  

fzsT8.pngHelpful StufftErbf.png

Steam Mover
Does your Steam library have 800 games? Do you wish you could move some of those games to different hard drives instead of deleting them entirely and then downloading them again when you want to play them? Steam Mover is here for you.

Steam Price Guide
Do you have the misfortune to live somewhere other than America? Steam hates you! Luckily, this cool website with prices for Steam games all around the world is here to help, so you can know if you want to ask an American friend to buy the game for you or not.

Aussies
You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

Also: Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

I've also been told you Aussies might want to try Angus Wolfcastle's SteamManager. Setting it up is easy is you follow the instructions here. If you find you're still being charged for your steam downloads, try changing the setting like in this link here.

fzsT8.pngCool Community Add-OnstErbf.png

Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon.  Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!

Sample signature:
steam_sig.png

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Steam Roulette
Having trouble picking a game out of your burgeoning [strike]backlog[/strike] gamebank to play?  Let VicWhiten's Steam Roulette decide!  Just type in your Steam community ID (easier if you set up a custom URL on your Steam profile page), and Steam Roulette will read your library and randomly pick one game every time you hit "Spin the Wheel!"  It even connects to Steam to allow you to install or start the game with a single click.  

What's all this about serving "The Newell?"
It started with this comic:
steamregulator.jpg
And now it is our unofficial official motto.

fzsT8.pngWinter Achievements & GiveawaystErbf.png

During the Winter Sale there will be special Christmas Achievements posted every day. Each one you complete nets you a coupon, a free game (at random) or a lump of coal, eventually redeemable in bulk for better prizes. A full list of the winter achievements can be found right here.

Just note that you can complete the achievements any time, even before they appear on the Steam homepage, but you won't get the reward until the day Steam posts it.

//credit for the op contents goes to the ever classy @TychoCelchuuu

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
minor incident on

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I crafted 7 coal just now. What did I get?

10% off of Warner Bros. titles.

Really?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    That's a buck-fifty off Bastion.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Recommendation for a game that will run on my netbook and can be played with keyboard only. Binding of isaac will not run on this.

GO!

also SMB loves that new thread stank

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    That's a steal!

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I got 33% off the id super bundle.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I couldn't let people not see my awesome work so bringing it to this thread too!

newhat.png

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    They should have let us have the option of crafting seven coal into diamonds that can then be used to buy from a list of stuff like the summer sale.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Couple hours left

signature.png

I just got some coal from E.Y.E.; I had no idea what the hell was going on or why I was shooting rats or sniping guys with shotguns, but it seems fantastically absurd and I will definitely have to give it a real good session one day.

• Options
    Just wanted to point this out:

Our very own Heatwave is on the top contributors list of Steamgifts! Your class brings honor to us all

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Recommendation for a game that will run on my netbook and can be played with keyboard only. Binding of isaac will not run on this.

GO!

Who's That Flying!? for the princely sum of US$2.99

Great side-scrolling shooter that never gets impossibly hard :) Also pretty funny! I had a great time playing it and recommend it to anyone with a netbook

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That's a buck-fifty off Bastion.

Whopper of a sale.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Mmm... New thread time

I picked up Avadon for myself. The screenshots looked remoniscent of Baldur's Gate 2, so I was sold.

Has anyone played it?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular

GO!

NightSky I think should be able to run on netbooks.

• Options
    Tef wrote:
    Mmm... New thread time

I picked up Avadon for myself. The screenshots looked remoniscent of Baldur's Gate 2, so I was sold.

Has anyone played it?

The look of it reminds me of Fallout Tactics set in the medieval era.

• Options
    Stryker43Stryker43 Registered User regular
    The embodiment of class itself, @urahonky, has given me the gift of unbridled RAGE! Thank you so much!

camo_sig2.png
    XBL/PSN/Origin/NNID: StrykerFL GuildWars/GW2: Anton Firemaker FFRK: erNA
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Tef wrote:
    Mmm... New thread time

Has anyone played it?

The look of it reminds me of Fallout Tactics set in the medieval era.

This also acceptable

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Wow, won Frozen Synapse off of Steamgifts in a public drawing. Awesome.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote:

I couldn't wrap my head around the game, and the voice behind the tutorial sounded so sarcastic. I was like =/ the whole time.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    edited December 2011

X-Com: UFO defense

Rhiley on
    2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    Inzigna wrote:
    Riokenn wrote:

I couldn't wrap my head around the game, and the voice behind the tutorial sounded so sarcastic. I was like =/ the whole time.

All for the cheevo my friend.

• Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    Rhiley wrote:

This, X-Com should run pretty flawlessly on a netbook.

steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote:
    Inzigna wrote:
    Riokenn wrote:

All for the cheevo.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    So... anybody wanna trade stuff for that achievement? Can you trade the same item to each other? Like just swap 25% off Valve coupons or something?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011

GO!

Reccettear. ETA: Oh, yeah, X-Com.
    Totally.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Since this is a new thread and all, would like to remind people that Gyromancer is a great game and wants one of you to receive it.
    http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/SMcNV/gyromancer

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    So... anybody wanna trade stuff for that achievement? Can you trade the same item to each other? Like just swap 25% off Valve coupons or something?

Yeah you can swap same stuff - hit me up if you need to..

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote:

GO!

Reccettear.

Can that be played without the mouse at all?

Because if so yeah, absolutely. Wonderful little game.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    so many xcom choices...guide me? just the one linked? the pack?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    A guy in the last thread traded coal for coal and got the achievement.
    His reward was more coal.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    Ruiner999 wrote: »
    Rhiley wrote:

This, X-Com should run pretty flawlessly on a netbook.

Pretty sure you need a mouse.

signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Inzigna wrote:
    Riokenn wrote:
    Inzigna wrote:
    Riokenn wrote:

All for the cheevo.

And with that....-50% off Grid....a game I already own....hmmmm....

• Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    Mmm that new thread smell. Christmas is almost completely upon us!

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    CroakerBC wrote:

GO!

Reccettear.

Can that be played without the mouse at all?

Because if so yeah, absolutely. Wonderful little game.

I think so. I seem to get about using Z, X, and ASWD.
    You can rebind the mouse buttons to keys, too...
    Also one day I will post without editing it.

Oh. Jamestown. Again.

ETA: You want the original XCom and Terror from the Deep. But it may be cheaper just to buy the pack. And some people like Apocalypse. Weird people.
    I *think* you can do them mouseless, might be a bit of a chore though - got trackpad? If so, you're good for sure.

Buy them anyway because...seriously, X-Com ate my adolesence.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    Xcom 1 get. My only experience with XCom was seeing my friend's little brother play it on their family computer in 1995 or so.

Buckle up, bitches

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    oluapoluap Registered User regular
    Looking for someone to trade with for the achievement. I don't have any coupons but we could trade coal for coal, I guess.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    So uh, what exactly am I meant to do with this?

FittyPercent.jpg

I'm guessing the game it was meant to be for isn't available in my region or something?

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    7 coal now (of 9 objectives completed. Nice odds). I don't think I'll craft it.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ParielPariel Registered User regular
    Well I'm hoping it means for any game. Honestly, I think that's more likely.

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Ok so there've been some problems with people requesting to join the PA group without even knowing what the forums are. I'm pretty sure I'm the least outspoken person here about this but it's really shitty for someone to get an invite to the group from someone (who almost certainly just wasn't paying attention, I know I get a dozen or so requests a day) and then go on to ask group members for all their coupons. So my suggestions would be the two following things:

1) we have a group for the G&T steam thread called G&T adventure team, let's use that
    2) let's have the admins make it so only admins can invite during the month of december

On the whole I really detest the idea of becoming more clique-ish in nature because I think one of our community's strengths is how open and welcoming we have been. I remember several times where people have joined, posted about being new and wanting recommendations for steam games, being gifted hundreds of dollars of stuff, and now they are some of our most upstanding members. I would hate for that shit to go away. Furthermore I'm pretty sure if we form our own little exclusive club and don't let other people in then I'm pretty sure Tube would get pissed at us, and rightfully so. So obviously there's need for discussion on the topic.

However we have guys like Heatwave and Handgimp gifting literally hundreds of dollars worth of stuff to the community and it's extremely shitty to see that generosity being taken advantage of. Thoughts?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.