As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] DONE! Go post in the younger, sexier thread.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    They're testing the boundaries, gradually increasing the trolling each day, so now the coupons aren't even theoretically usable. By the last day the coupons will be automatically applied price increases.

s7Imn5J.png
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    So uh, what exactly am I meant to do with this?

FittyPercent.jpg

I'm guessing the game it was meant to be for isn't available in my region or something?

I think it's safe to say that it can be taken as a 50% off any game on Steam, even if it looks like that due to region blocking.

Maybe contacting support might make that happen.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Lord Yod wrote:
    However we have guys like Heatwave and Handgimp gifting literally hundreds of dollars worth of stuff to the community and it's extremely shitty to see that generosity being taken advantage of. Thoughts?

Didn't want a massive quote, but I think for every person literally going out of their way to exemplify the best traits humanity has to offer, like generosity and kindness, there are at least seven others willing to prey upon that. All bullshit aside, it's kind of deplorable that a community like PA or G&T even has to contend with such nonsense considering the absolute classiness I've seen from the various members here.

A little more security may be needed, but luckily there is still much class to be had.

Edit: Had a broken BBCode, my apologies.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    so many xcom choices...guide me? just the one linked? the pack?

I'm not sure this is a good idea. It will run, but it's quite mouse-heavy

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Lord Yod wrote:
    2) let's have the admins make it so only admins can invite during big sales weeks.
    This is a better solution than just December.

steam_sig.png
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    I will admit that one reason I want to switch to the adventure team is because that group has tons of admins (like, 30 or so) and all of them post in this thread pretty frequently, between us we've got the whole group on our friends list and we can take care of any problems. The main PA group has over 1800 people and aside from Suds I couldn't tell you the last time I saw any of the admins post here.

steam_sig.png
  • SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Lord Yod wrote:
    Ok so there've been some problems with people requesting to join the PA group without even knowing what the forums are. I'm pretty sure I'm the least outspoken person here about this but it's really shitty for someone to get an invite to the group from someone (who almost certainly just wasn't paying attention, I know I get a dozen or so requests a day) and then go on to ask group members for all their coupons. So my suggestions would be the two following things:

1) we have a group for the G&T steam thread called G&T adventure team, let's use that
    2) let's have the admins make it so only admins can invite during the month of december

On the whole I really detest the idea of becoming more clique-ish in nature because I think one of our community's strengths is how open and welcoming we have been. I remember several times where people have joined, posted about being new and wanting recommendations for steam games, being gifted hundreds of dollars of stuff, and now they are some of our most upstanding members. I would hate for that shit to go away. Furthermore I'm pretty sure if we form our own little exclusive club and don't let other people in then I'm pretty sure Tube would get pissed at us, and rightfully so. So obviously there's need for discussion on the topic.

However we have guys like Heatwave and Handgimp gifting literally hundreds of dollars worth of stuff to the community and it's extremely shitty to see that generosity being taken advantage of. Thoughts?

I don't have a solution for that, but I agree with the direction. Even though I've only been active in this thread for maybe four months now (mostly because I happened to wander in here and see @Tef offer up a copy of DiRT 3 that he got with his graphics card (in which I gifted him Bastion back for it) and everyone was really awesome. I too got some rec's and now I can't help but get caught up in the gifting. It's contagious, haha.

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    So I've fallen totally in love with E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy.

But the relationship may be about to end poorly. My campaign seems fatally bugged:
    I'm on Mars, and I have to protect Dutch. The first wave of enemies is pretty easy to defeat. The second wave never shows up. We just sit there, waiting. Forever. :(

Anyone else get this problem? Solutions?

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Think of the most rage inducing, stressful holiday memory...

...wait no, that won't help anybody.
    Private message me something that cheered you up during this (or past) holiday season. It can be anything, big or small. Please keep it short - 1 word to 5 sentences. I'll pick my favorite (don't worry I won't share it with the thread) and that person will win one copy of RAGE. I'll pick a winner in about *1* hours. Sorry, you must be a PA member for at least 3 months to enter.

• LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Ruiner999 wrote:
    Lord Yod wrote:

Didn't want a massive quote, but I think for every person literally going out of their way to exemplify the best traits humanity has to offer, like generosity and kindness, there are at least seven others willing to prey upon that. All bullshit aside, it's kind of deplorable that a community like PA or G&T even has to contend with such nonsense considering the absolute classiness I've seen from the various members here.

A little more security may be needed, but luckily there is still much class to be had.

I think we just have to be more careful about invites. If someone in the channel ask for an invite, don't just invite him. Ask for his PA user name to make sure he's not just random person looking for a free ride. Also check Steam profiles for people who sign up just today and stuff in that nature. I don't really like excluding people from the PA group, but it's silly when you get people begging for games. I already had my hand bitten once by JDcapo last year, so I'm somewhat more weary.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    It's Christmas eve over here and I wanted to do a Christmas weekend giveaway, featuring the Humble Indie Bundle #4 (which comes with the Humble Indie Bundle #3)!

All people need to do is add me to their friends list on Steam and be active on Penny-Arcade for at least the past 3 months (I will check your postings and determine if you're active).

I'll randomly be picking someone from the forums on my friends list and will be gifting it out once the thread hits 70 pages!

camo_sig2.png
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    I'm on board with what Yod is saying. It's pity, considering how classy so many gents are in here

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    Lepwave wrote:
    Ruiner999 wrote:
    Lord Yod wrote:

I think we just have to be more careful about invites. If someone in the channel ask for an invite, don't just invite him. Ask for his PA user name to make sure he's not just random person looking for a free ride. Also check Steam profiles for people who sign up just today and stuff in that nature. I don't really like excluding people from the PA group, but it's silly when you get people begging for games. I already had my hand bitten once by JDcapo last year, so I'm somewhat more weary.

I wasn't a part of this thread last year, I'm curious about this "JDcapo" now... care to share?

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    So can I get an invite to the G&T Steam group? Info in sig.

Tef wrote:
    I'm on board with what Yod is saying. It's pity, considering how classy so many gents are in here

You are the reason I frequent this thread my friend! I walked in on it to see if there was anything awesome released recently on Steam, you offered up DiRT 3, I took it and gave ya Bastion. Sold me on the classiness here, been coming back ever since.

• RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    I don't understand how something posted in the old thread could be posted in the new one too.

signature.png

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Al Baron wrote:
    Lord Yod wrote:
    2) let's have the admins make it so only admins can invite during big sales weeks.
    This is a better solution than just December.

I think we need a two fold solution - Invitation by Admins only, where we actually have a good handful of admins that are readily available when needed. And as mentioned, maybe moving to the smaller Chat channel as well. I LOVE our community and don't want a few bad apples to spoil things.

Edit: If there is anything I can do to help move this along, I'm more than willing to spearhead Operation Keep the Monocle Clean!

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

FittyPercent.jpg

I'm guessing the game it was meant to be for isn't available in my region or something?

What does it show if you hit view applicable games?

Lepwave wrote:
    Ruiner999 wrote:
    Lord Yod wrote:

I wasn't a part of this thread last year, I'm curious about this "JDcapo" now... care to share?

He signed up like on the Thanksgiving sale, proceeded to enter people contests/giveaways. He won quite a couple if I remember correctly. I know me and isy gave him something. Well anyways, after the sale was over, he never posted once since and removed all the friends from PA that he accumulated over the sale.

steam_sig.png
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Managed to get the Payday achievement with some pubbies, and for my 30th objective completed Steam gave me:...........Dangerous Waters. Which, while really dated looking, has an 82 Metacritic score and is intriguing enough that I think I may actually keep this one.

• SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Still got a copy of Left 4 Dead 2 looking for a loving home.

signature.png

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • ParielPariel Registered User regular
    Really dude? Every single objective so far?! I'm impressed.

• FynathFynath Registered User regular
    So, Atom Zombie Smasher totally just BSOD'd my computer. Excellent.

steam_sig.png
  • kenhcwookenhcwoo Registered User regular
    Just got off the plane, logged onto my email to find that @Ketar has gifted me a copy of Frozen Synapse! Thanks bud!

steam_sig.png
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    My solution is that the main group just needs a few more admins. Poeple like Minor Incident and Cheesecakerecipe are perfect candidates

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    It won't last. I do own a disturbingly large number of games that should be showing up per achievement guides, and have worked ahead on some of them, but there are a fair number of games that look like they will be a part of this shindig that I don't think will be joining my library. Though I suppose Dino D-Day would be a potential spite gift if it makes the dailies at some point :lol:

@lepwave - I added ya, you should, you know...

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    If we need people to volunteer for group admins to screen people, I'm perfectly fine with doing it even if admin rights are only given for the duration of the sale. I don't have a problem being a cruel, heartless bastard to keep begging and mooching down to a minimum. I'd also be willing to go through the general PA Steam group and boot out those that appear to be in it solely for the giveaways.

But yes, I agree that the people looking solely for freebies without any intent of actually joining the community ought to be minimized. This place is awesome with the generosity, but I worry that people are too generous here at times and too many will get burned too many times and the levels of classiness will be lowered. And there seem to be even more of them during this winter sale than previously primarily due to SteamGifts. I think a combination of switching giveaways over to Adventure Team or some other winter giveaways group and allowing only admins to invite people to the group while scrutinizing potential invitees is a good idea.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote:

[/FittyCent]

What does it show if you hit view applicable games?

Oh hey, didn't think of that... Hector: Badge of Carnage... Aw shit, another crappy coupon, I have the worst luck. Ah well, already sent a ticket to Steam support so maybe they'll fix the weird glitch anyway.

In better news, 45 minutes left on:

signature.png

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Whoa now, Hector ain't bad. Not great, but its got charm.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Just gonna repost this:

signature.png

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Tef wrote:

You are the reason I frequent this thread my friend! I walked in on it to see if there was anything awesome released recently on Steam, you offered up DiRT 3, I took it and gave ya Bastion. Sold me on the classiness here, been coming back ever since.

Made me feel warm and fuzzy inside! Yeah you're good people mate; I'm glad you're sticking about

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    There are 4 admins idling G&T chat right now who can invite people.

signature.png

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    SightTDW wrote:
    Whoa now, Hector ain't bad. Not great, but its got charm.

I think I've just had my fill of Telltale adventure games.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    @SkyTurnsRed gifted me Sequence, what a classy fellow. Showing even more PA are the classiest gents on the internet.

steam_sig.png
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Lepwave wrote:
    Lepwave wrote:
    Ruiner999 wrote:
    Lord Yod wrote:

He signed up like on the Thanksgiving sale, proceeded to enter people contests/giveaways. He won quite a couple if I remember correctly. I know me and isy gave him something. Well anyways, after the sale was over, he never posted once since and removed all the friends from PA that he accumulated over the sale.

I friended JDcapo as well and I think I even may have gifted him something. It may seem like a shitty thing to do, but I'm not sure he did anything wrong. I mean, no one forced us to give him anything and it's not like the gifts came with a set of rules. I think the solution is to simply pay attention when you give stuff away. Stick to people who have been active for a while, etc. All IMO, of course.

Anyway, I'm off to my parents, so merry christmas to you lot. I know I haven't posted much, because the thread moves too fast and you know, christmas. I'll throw some parting gifts around before I leave, though. :D

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Guys, I think I'm in some trouble here. Top of class in classiness @Bloodshed just gifted me Terraria.
    qntjcz.jpg
    From what I understand, my life is pretty much done, right? Tell my friends and family goodbye?

• starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    I think the main PA group used to be invite by admin only, right? I know I had a hell of a time get invited back in the day.

And it sucks, but I always try to look at PA info before adding them to my friendslist. If you joined during a steam sale and havent posted much when there wasn't a sale or if you joined 8 years ago and only have a few dozen posts...I look at you with shifty eyes.

camo_sig2.png
  • lostprophetlostprophet Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Guys, SteamGifts should be helping us all get along, not tearing us apart. It's ridiculous that we're even talking about this. We should make it so that only admins of the group can invite, and have a robust group of trustworthy PAers administering the group invites. It's tough, but fair. Invites can't just be thrown about willy-nilly if it erodes the trust among us.

EDIT: I have a spare copy of PAYDAY that was supposed to go to iolo before he so rudely bought it, and I also have a copy of Dungeon Defenders left over from a four pack. PM me something funny about a payday if you want PAYDAY, or PM me something about how you would defend your dungeon if you want Dungeon Defenders. I'll just pick whatever responses I like most when I wake up or something. These games need classy homes!

lostprophet on
    Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Guys, I think I'm in some trouble here. Top of class in classiness @Bloodshed just gifted me Terraria.
    qntjcz.jpg
    From what I understand, my life is pretty much done, right? Tell my friends and family goodbye?

That or buy your friends and family Terraria.

That's what I did. I bought both my girlfriend and stepfather Terraria for Christmas.

This discussion has been closed.