As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]ting in the sky

DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
You know what's awesome? Post-WWII, war planes were stripped of weapons and sold as surplus.

P-38 Lightning, $1200.
P-51 Mustang, $1500.

Goddamn that would have been rad.

Doc on

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    You know what's awesome? Post-WWII, war planes were stripped of weapons and sold as surplus.

P-38 Lightning, $1200.
    P-51 Mustang, $1500.

Didn't people buy them, and use the engines in high speed cars? I may or may not be making this up.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »

P-38 Lightning, $1200.
    P-51 Mustang, $1500.

Didn't people buy them, and use the engines in high speed cars? I may or may not be making this up.
    I knew some dudes in Denmark that built a tractor for tractor pulls using WW2 bomber engines.

It made my inner-redneck squeal with glee.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007

P-38 Lightning, $1200.
    P-51 Mustang, $1500.

I dunno, but that seems like a waste of a perfectly TOTALLY RAD airplane.

Doc on
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Did you know if you ever get a DUI you can't get your pilot's license?

True story.

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007

P-38 Lightning, $1200.
    P-51 Mustang, $1500.

I assume $1200 was worth more back then?

_J_ on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    LaOs wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    So it's the weekend.

And I've nothing to do...and nobody is around.

[drink] on!
    Same here, except I'm out of beer :(
    LCBO will be open on Sunday, but not on Monday.

So there's no excuse.
    Not having a ride there is a good excuse IMO. What am I supposed to do, ride a bike with cases of beer and wine balanced on my head?

They have handlebar baskets for a reason, Richy.

I first read this as "handlotion baskets."

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I know somebody fitted a Merlin V12 from a Spitfire into a Rolls-Royce once, although I'm having difficulty coming up with a good way to google that, since Rolls-Royce also made the engine.

japan on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007

P-38 Lightning, $1200.
    P-51 Mustang, $1500.

I assume $1200 was worth more back then?

Yeah, multiply by ten or fifteen or so. You could buy a fucking fighter plane for less than a goddamn Kia.

Doc on
    edited June 2007

P-38 Lightning, $1200.
    P-51 Mustang, $1500.

I dunno, but that seems like a waste of a perfectly TOTALLY RAD airplane.

I have a strong memory of seeing something about that on PBS.

To the Google machine!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited June 2007
    There is a new word: "danjayerous".

It has no definition, as it is best left undefined.

Use it well.

_J_ on
    edited June 2007
    Found it. It was called "The Beast", and built by one John Dodd. It was a 750bhp 27 litre Rolls-Royce Merlin engine in a custom chassis and body.

He was apparently sued by Rolls-Royce over his use of one of their grilles on the body.

japan on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    We have turned a joke thread meant to poke fun at D&D and SE into a serious discussion of color theory.

GO GO D&D!

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited June 2007
    japan wrote: »
    Found it. It was called "The Beast", and built by one John Dodd. It was a 750bhp 27 litre Rolls-Royce Merlin engine in a custom chassis and body.

He was apparently sued by Rolls-Royce over his use of one of their grilles on the body.

That's silly of them.

_J_ on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    We have turned a joke thread meant to poke fun at D&D and SE into a serious discussion of color theory.

GO GO D&D!
    NEVER underestimate the power of rabidly determined pedantic assholes.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited June 2007

GO GO D&D!
    NEVER underestimate the power of rabidly determined pedantic assholes.

Pedantic?

Where? Where?!

_J_ on
    edited June 2007
    japan wrote: »

That's silly of them.

I believe it was (and this may be apocryphal) his tendency to take it on the Autobahn and blow away the supercars of the day with the thing's 200+ mph top speed, leading to the German Police complaining to Rolls-Royce themselves about "testing their new cars on the Autobahn." Speeds above 200mph being considered anti-social.

japan on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Lucy in the sky
    With diamonds
    :whistle:

James on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I did it!

I wrote a First-Order Logic exam question based on the Monty Python bit about scientifically proving someone is a witch.

I am pleased.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2007
    I did it!

I wrote a First-Order Logic exam question based on the Monty Python bit about scientifically proving someone is a witch.

I am pleased.
    Oh shit no...

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    I did it!

I am pleased.

:^:

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited June 2007
    I did it!

I am pleased.

Post it, mortal.

_J_ on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I did it!

I am pleased.
    Out with it!

LaOs on
    edited June 2007

GO GO D&D!

I love it. Absolutely love it!

LaOs on
    edited June 2007
    It's not that impressive, just amusing. Plus, I can't be sure one of my students isn't reading the forums (they are 150 computer nerds, after all), so I won't be posting it here. At least, not before the exam.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2007

GO GO D&D!

I love it. Absolutely love it!
    Yeah we're definitely a strange lot around these parts.

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I was amazed at how fast people took that seriously.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Doc, nice to see an old friend come back and play. So how's things with you?

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
    edited June 2007
    It's not that impressive, just amusing. Plus, I can't be sure one of my students isn't reading the forums (they are 150 computer nerds, after all), so I won't be posting it here. At least, not before the exam.

PM? Please?

LaOs on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Fine! Tell us after the exam.

James on
    edited June 2007
    Now if me and Elkamil can just get some more of these nerds to talk about sports already.

edited June 2007
    I'll share it after the exam.

Someone remind me if I forget.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2007
    Oh, btw you Montreal snooty-snots, we are SO going to kick your ass tonight. It's on! (cel... it's sports!)

LaOs on
    edited June 2007

What -- you think we're all a bunch of snitches?

edited June 2007
    Oh, btw you Monreal snooty-snots, we are SO going to kick your ass tonight. It's on! (cel... it's sports!)
    I'll assume you mean Montreal. And I don't care because I'm from Québec City.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2007
    celery77 wrote: »

What -- you think we're all a bunch of snitches?
    No, I think you're all a bunch of computer nerds. And I think my class if full of computer nerds. So I won't be sharing my exam questions here before the exam. Too risky that my students will see them.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2007
    Oh, btw you Monreal snooty-snots, we are SO going to kick your ass tonight. It's on! (cel... it's sports!)
    I'll assume you mean Montreal. And I don't care because I'm from Québec City.

Damn. I will edit. And... damn.

LaOs on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    PM? Please?
    Don't do it Richy.

I have it on good authority that LaOs is one of the students in your class.

That girl who keeps flirting with you, to be specific.

Andrew_Jay on
    edited June 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    Now if me and Elkamil can just get some more of these nerds to talk about sports already.

The Cat posted in the last one. One at a time.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Weekend -- COME TO ME!

edited June 2007
    Goddammit come faster bitch...

This discussion has been closed.