As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Graphics tablet recommendations?

LokiLoki Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Artist's Corner
Hi! I am looking for a recommendation for which graphics tablet to buy. I use a Wintel box but specifically it will be for creating Flash animations for my two daughters, sort of animated fairytales, so I am looking for the best tablet for use with vector graphic packages like Illustrator. Having said that I would also like some Photoshop functionality for after effects. Budget is up to 1000US for the right tablet but I'm more interested in it's suitability for the role described above than all 'the bells and whistles'. Size is also - for once! - not that big a deal for me.

I've looked at quite a few review websites and so on but haven't found anything that fits the bill/specifically mentions Illustrator-type functionality. Things I would imagine such a tablet to have would be 'tap-tablet once to add curve point', 'drag to scale'; that type of thing...Can anyone recommend something?

do unto...just do.unto.
Loki on

• Options
    BaldasarreBaldasarre Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    lately ive been drooling over the Wacom Cintaq, i believe its called, its a 21+ inch screen that you can literally lay flat on your lap and draw on...id look into that ...other than that Im not too sure

Baldasarre on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • Options
    Daisuke SpoonDaisuke Spoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I just got a Wacom Graphire4 for $75.

It's my first tablet, I haven't tried any others, but it seems pretty good to me. I use it for illustrator but most of the time just sketch out my stuff and then live trace it.

Not sure if that helps.

Daisuke Spoon on
    pikaserious.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 0002-2940-9674
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Thank you very much for the link, Crowleston. Still trawling through the pages but whether or not it answers my question it's nonetheless fascinating reading! For clarity I should perhaps point out that although I studied art in the European equivalent of Community College and worked as a graphic designer for about 8 years I am not a professional artist - this project is purely for the benefit of my kids.
    Once again, appreciate the link/help.

Loki on
    do unto...just do.unto.
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Any Wacom you choose will be exemplory. It is the standard in digitizing.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The rules for the AC are pretty clear that any questions like "What Tablet should I get?" should only be posted in either the chat thread or the the question and answers thread. It's a question that's been asked and answered there many times before.

You really shouldn't be making threads in the AC without your own art posted in it.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Rolo: Apologies, I did try to check but perhaps but not extensively enough. Thanks for the info.
    Thx everyone for your replies also, much appreciated.

Loki on
    do unto...just do.unto.
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't draw much, but I got one by UC-Logic that's 8x6 with 1024 levels of sensitivity and was $80 new. It's WAY cheaper than Wacom and seems to work well. The company's in Taiwan so you can forget about warranty and support, but I've had no problem with mine.

erisian pope on
This discussion has been closed.