As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[World of Tanks] Our track is broken! Get out and push!

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Holy f*ck am I getting an insane amount of bounces tonight. 100mm bounces a T-50. I scored 14 his in a game with my T-54, only 4 of them did damage. And I was shooting things lower tiers than me ... Argh ...

In other news, apparently I no longer understand how vision works. It seems that every time I'm firing from behind concealment, to the point that bushes are solid and my muzzle flash should be hidden, people always seem to be able to see me anyway and shoot back. This is getting incredibly annoying and tiring. God damn it.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I was about to say, I'm sorry I missed you, Arctic, but I think you're having a hell of a time without my unlucky T-54.

• Options
    scarescare Registered User regular
    It seems that every time I'm firing from behind concealment, to the point that bushes are solid and my muzzle flash should be hidden, people always seem to be able to see me anyway and shoot back.

The smoke that comes from your barrel is used in detection too. For maximum camo while firing, you have to be nearly 2 tank lengths from the bush that's concealing you. What Sonork does is spot in the usual way (nose in the bush) then he backs up to 2 tank lengths and then fires. If others are shooting you and staying invis, it's likely that they're behind multiple bushes and that these bushes hide the smoke trail coming out of the barrel after shooting.

mister_fej.png
  • Options
    FarleymanFarleyman Registered User regular
    Huh. That's really useful, Scare. First time I've ever seen a decent description of how to hide in a bush, although I do admit I try to stay away from the forums if I can because I can never actually find anything there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    scare wrote:
    It seems that every time I'm firing from behind concealment, to the point that bushes are solid and my muzzle flash should be hidden, people always seem to be able to see me anyway and shoot back.

The smoke that comes from your barrel is used in detection too. For maximum camo while firing, you have to be nearly 2 tank lengths from the bush that's concealing you. What Sonork does is spot in the usual way (nose in the bush) then he backs up to 2 tank lengths and then fires. If others are shooting you and staying invis, it's likely that they're behind multiple bushes and that these bushes hide the smoke trail coming out of the barrel after shooting.

I'll try and work on this, although honestly sometimes you just don't have that luxury (having to roll far enough up a hill to fire over it, you know how it is). So basically, the smoke will eventually give you away if you keep firing, but you can take a shot or two before this happens?

• Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Spall liner and King Tigger = no damaging hits at all from an M4 105 HE. I think at one point on a side shot they did single figure damage, or it might have been the T32 in front of me. I am well pleased with the HE nerfs :D

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    I'll try and work on this, although honestly sometimes you just don't have that luxury (having to roll far enough up a hill to fire over it, you know how it is). So basically, the smoke will eventually give you away if you keep firing, but you can take a shot or two before this happens?

It's really just something to keep in mind when someone is spotting for you. When I go bush hugging in my T-54, I'm often really far up the line and I just sit there as the spotter without firing.

mister_fej.png
  • Options
    NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    So I got my T95. I am working on getting the 155mm now. Fun fun!

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    man, spent quite a few hours yesterday in a platoon with Arc and keml0, it rekindled the WoT experience for me I think. . . So damn close to my T29 now. . . I can probably get it tonight.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    Did the same for me, picked up the M4 E2, and I'm also working on getting the T29

Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
  • Options
    I could research the T29 right now if I wanted to blow 80% of my free XP on it, and I'd still need another 600k to actually buy it. =P I don't know if I want to acquire more tier 7 tanks right now. I don't think I care about getting an IS-3 when it'll cost me some number of weeks worth of play to afford it. Think I'll just hoard money for French tanks so there's less grind then.

In other news, I still love my T-44. If I find something more fun to play, I will be flatly shocked.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2011
    The T-44 was a surprisingly great time, but a really good T-54 battle somehow feels even more exciting. I had one game last week where I dismantled an E-100, and it was glorious. Still, any time I got my T-44 in a tier 8 I had like a 75% chance of victory. It was when it had to face higher tiers that I had an issue.

EDIT - My win rate is a lot better in my T-44, but I think some of that can be attributed to having to play with the LB-1 on my T-54 for a long time. Still, almost 70% with over 100 battles.

A duck! on
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I do have to say, going from the T-43 to the T-44 has been a drastic change for the better. Even though it has the same gun, just having the speed and agility to actually be able to get into better positions helps a lot. And playing with Duck as a dedicated wolfpack has been awesome, it's a lot more fun playing mediums than it is heavies.

• Options
    Two or three mediums working in concert can dismantle a side bit by bit if they're not engaged quickly. Crushing the western flank in El Haluf like we did with Mac sniping in his Lowe was pretty impressive. That battle had 1 tier 9 and 5 tier 8s on our side (including us) and I think we still walked away with 11 kills.

• Options
    lostprophetlostprophet Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote:
    Two or three mediums working in concert can dismantle a side bit by bit if they're not engaged quickly. Crushing the western flank in El Haluf like we did with Mac sniping in his Lowe was pretty impressive. That battle had 1 tier 9 and 5 tier 8s on our side (including us) and I think we still walked away with 11 kills.

Simp's gotta get dat T-FittyFo. Mmm. Then we could be those guys.

Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.
  • Options
    It's a seminal moment, like the recent insanity were even artic and I in the T44 and Panther killed 9 out of 15 tanks running up the left flank. Med tanks are the most fun because you have the speed to redeploy for new fire lines and win fire fight even when it's only two dudes on comms.

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    edited December 2011
    True story. That was a lot of fun. God it's nice playing with people who understand mediums. I'm too used to people just charging in and hoping their speed will save them (an often valid tactic in a duel, but beyond that ...).
    Seriously though, that match was a ton of fun.
    iqy6px.jpg

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I created a channel in the World of Tanks client for both clans to hang out in. PennyArcade pw: wang

This should make it easier for SIMP and WANG guys to team up.

Noquar on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll edit OP accordingly.

Edit: Also, had a boss time with Noquar in our Type 59s.

shot_001.jpg

Easily my best medium battle yet, edging out my T-34-57. Just a second away from getting 8, heh.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    so is anyone else super excited for world of warplanes? I was just reading the interview at RPS about it. Apparently we'll have a common wallet between the Wo* games, meaning we share silver, gold, freexp, and premium status. He also mentioned that clans can earn gold and participate in some form of global theatre of war. Something like a WoWP clan can provide an AI controlled fire support mission for a WoT clan's upcoming battle.

I can't wait to ride in whatever WoWP's equivalent to the BT-2 is and spend all my time trolling noobs with kamikaze runs.

• Options
    so is anyone else super excited for world of warplanes? I was just reading the interview at RPS about it. Apparently we'll have a common wallet between the Wo* games, meaning we share silver, gold, freexp, and premium status. He also mentioned that clans can earn gold and participate in some form of global theatre of war. Something like a WoWP clan can provide an AI controlled fire support mission for a WoT clan's upcoming battle.

I can't wait to ride in whatever WoWP's equivalent to the BT-2 is and spend all my time trolling noobs with kamikaze runs.

Ya, with the way Wargaming's been operating the game won't be out until 2013, and those features won't be fully implemented until 2016.

• Options
    You'll just have to be patient to get your troll on.

• Options
    So it looks like Christmas-time Pents have dropped already. I wish they would have given us a little bit of warning so that I didn't use up my dubs last night. Ah well.

• Options
    Simpsonia wrote:
    So it looks like Christmas-time Pents have dropped already. I wish they would have given us a little bit of warning so that I didn't use up my dubs last night. Ah well.

Your word of warning was, "AHAHA thanks for not doing my dubs with me! Phooey in your general direction!" Gonna be getting some 5X in since I get off of work early today. :bz

• Options
    Simpsonia wrote:

Your word of warning was, "AHAHA thanks for not doing my dubs with me! Phooey in your general direction!" Gonna be getting some 5X in since I get off of work early today. :bz

You just got lucky that we had been having a shitty night with getting awful teams, and decided to call it before you got on. Pure. Luck.

• Options
    wait, 5x xp has started? does that stack with premium?

• Options

But of course. And I don't need luck, I make my own. Muahahahaha

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular

With premium it should be 7.5x the XP you'd get with a standard account :0

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Ugghghghg the Panther frustrates me sooooo much. Fully upgraded engine and tracks and it still handles like a heavy. With the punch of a light.
    It's definitely going on my worst grinds list.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It's time for Good News/Bad News!

Good News!
    I've researched the T28, Object 212, and IS-7!

Bad News!
    I have 1,765,380 credits to my name. That makes me 9,404,620 credits short.

scare on
    mister_fej.png
  • Options
    I need someone to run with tonight, preferably someone with a T2, T3, T4, T6 and T7 so I can quintxp as much as possible.

• Options
    So, a pair of Ferdinands does not a good platoon make, heh.

• Options
    MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    Just unlocked the IS-3, but I've only got half the credits I need.

Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote:

Depends on the map and matchup, really. Simp and I have crushed maps in tier 8 battles with simple coordination. The nice thing is that they can damage any tank and armored enough to ignore a lot of lower tier fire while still being mobile.

• Options
    A duck! wrote:
    Synthesis wrote:

Depends on the map and matchup, really. Simp and I have crushed maps in tier 8 battles with simple coordination. The nice thing is that they can damage any tank and armored enough to ignore a lot of lower tier fire while still being mobile.

Though this is with 2 fully upgraded Ferdis, before I got the second engine upgrade things were a bit dicier, since the battle was usually half over before I got to even fire the gun hah. The other part is, as Duck said, coordination. You can afford to be a lot more aggressive and assault when you can coordinate 2 Ferdis alternating fire on the same target, and also know that someone has your back so that you won't get wrecked by mediums.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So I just gotten into this game.

Is there anything I should know? Right now I'm just trying to not get shot and get into good positioning.

• Options
    Simpsonia wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Synthesis wrote:

Though this is with 2 fully upgraded Ferdis, before I got the second engine upgrade things were a bit dicier, since the battle was usually half over before I got to even fire the gun hah. The other part is, as Duck said, coordination. You can afford to be a lot more aggressive and assault when you can coordinate 2 Ferdis alternating fire on the same target, and also know that someone has your back so that you won't get wrecked by mediums.

It really depends on the map. True for any platoon, but particularly in this case. In pick-up games, you're going to need to cover each other--which is pretty much useless in a Ferdinand even after engine upgrade. More reason to be aggressive, since anything that flanks you is beyond your control anyway.

But, public games. Which is WoT in general.

• Options
    So I just gotten into this game.

Is there anything I should know? Right now I'm just trying to not get shot and get into good positioning.

Kv's are good but slow, and as a tier V still make monies even when lost.

• Options
  • Options
    Got my Jagdtiger finally. Knocked out 7 tanks in two battles.

Now, if only either of them had been a victory.

This discussion has been closed.