As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fuck the H-Scroll

I've seen some other forums that limit the horizontal space for posts that don't have images larger than the window. In other words, whenever somebody posts a pic too large for the h-scroll, that post is allowed to go past it, but the next guy's post will be formatted just as though the h-scroll was still virgin. Would it be possible for our forums to incorporate this sort of technology?

happysig.png
freshmasterfresh on

• ExoVarkExoVark Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Dude. Dude.

ExoVark on
  • mtdewmtdew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    Into the right forum you go.

mtdew on
    beware the can of mountain dew
    stomping around and craving blood
  • freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Oops, I actually meant to post here. Thanks for the help. dew?

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Gotcha ForceGotcha Force Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    I've seen some other forums that limit the horizontal space for posts that don't have images larger than the window. In other words, whenever somebody posts a pic too large for the h-scroll, that post is allowed to go past it, but the next guy's post will be formatted just as though the h-scroll was still virgin. Would it be possible for our forums to incorporate this sort of technology?

I'm pretty sure the forum would have to be a certain width, and it would have to be centered for it to "stretch"

Gotcha Force on
  • ExoVarkExoVark Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Or, you know, we could exercise some self-control and not post huge images!

ExoVark on
  • RayonicRayonic Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Alternately, you could invest in a mouse with a tilt-wheel, so that your h-scrolling days are easier.

But yeah, it seems that implementing your idea would require altering the board software, which is probably beyond what our humble moderators can do.

Rayonic on
    sistine.png
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    I cant think of an efficent way to do this that does not end up taking away major functionality. Also, there is no "standard" resolution we could use....

Älphämönkëy on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2004
    I cant think of an efficent way to do this that does not end up taking away major functionality. Also, there is no "standard" resolution we could use....

Each post is it's own table set with the width set to whatever it currently is (fixed, not percentage).

This way, if someone breaks the h-scroll, only his/her post will be affected.

Unknown User on
    edited February 2004

Each post is it's own table set with the width set to whatever it currently is (fixed, not percentage).

But that will shaft functionality. I quite enjoy being able to browse this site at 1600x1200

Älphämönkëy on
  • DefaultuserDefaultuser Registered User new member
    edited February 2004
    Would it be at all possible to automatically resize images to keep at or below some maximum image size limit?

Defaultuser on
    edited February 2004

But that will shaft functionality. I quite enjoy being able to browse this site at 1600x1200

I fail to see how introducing grey areas along the sides of the screen for some users isn't a better option than eliminating broken-hscroll issues for all users.

Unknown User on
  • mtdewmtdew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    I fail to see how introducing grey areas along the sides of the screen for some users isn't a better option than eliminating broken-hscroll issues for all users.

Hmm?

Really, there's no reason you should break our h-scroll rules. If the pics too big, just link it. Better for dail-up users anyway.

mtdew on
    beware the can of mountain dew
    stomping around and craving blood
    edited February 2004
    I feel like I should come to a definate answer on this, so... This is not going to be implemented. Sorry. We have moderators and they do a good job keeping up with this. There are simply too many expections for me to hard code in values. AC is a good example. Desktop Threads. etc.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited February 2004
    Alright. Just playin' Devil's Advocate. :)

Unknown User on
  • denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2004
    Yeah I agree with alpha.

denihilist on
    edited February 2004
    Everybody check out what I was referring to.

http://www.digital-update.com/forums/viewtopic.php?s=&postid=197619#post197619

The forum this thread is in isn't safe for work, but the thread should be quite safe. This is the only way I could think of to demonstrate what I'm talking about. If anybody has any problems, I'll edit this post ASAP. Also, you'll need to sign up to view the thread, so I'll post a picture showing it in a few minutes.

EDIT: Here are the pictures:

http://members.cox.net/lordfattius/wider.jpg

http://members.cox.net/lordfattius/narrow.jpg

The great thing about it is that the column resizing is done completely on the fly. I don't know anything about how these forums work, I'm just suggestion you look into this if you're interested.

NOTE: I deleted the test thread I created. PM me or contact me through AIM if you have any questions.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2004
    How about no?

denihilist on
    edited February 2004
    See above edit.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
    edited February 2004
    That I might be willing to add. I think that the admin used CSS for that. Hmmmm... If I could get in touch with their admin I might take a look at the code, I would also tell him not to rip off phpBB and give them some credit :wink:

Either way, it is a well done forum, from my experience, it looks like a non-phpBB website that uses phpBB's icons....

Älphämönkëy on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    How about thumbnail functionality?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited February 2004
    How about thumbnail functionality?
    Too much load on the server. Users should do this themselves, though often they dont.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited February 2004
    Hey Fresh, can you do me a favor? Remake that thread. Then (in both views wide\narrow) do File->Save As->Then save as a "Web Archive *.mht"
    Thanks!

Älphämönkëy on
    edited February 2004
    freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    There is a hack on phpBB hacks that does this, still allowing the non hscroll breaking posts to streach and fill the window.

I believe Ramius was aware of it so you may want to ask if there's a reason he never bothered implementing it.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
    edited February 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    There is a hack on phpBB hacks that does this, still allowing the non hscroll breaking posts to streach and fill the window.

I believe Ramius was aware of it so you may want to ask if there's a reason he never bothered implementing it.
    Yeah, though from the looks of it that was a IVB. Ill ask Ramius about it, I have two ideas of how to implement it. As long as it makes no calls to GD Im cool with it.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited May 2004
    Any updates?

This was the earliest thread I've posted in that's still in the database and I found it thanks to the "View your posts" link on index. :D

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png