As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black is white and white is black

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ikaruga.jpg

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So apparently, the lighter shades of gray are actually darker shades of gray, and the darker shades of gray are in fact lighter shades of gray.

jothki on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT PUPPY CUPCAKES

<gigantic gif of some ugly chick dressed up like a anime character>

<some sort of animated furry gif>

ololz

I enjoyed posting intellectual stuff D:

All 5-6 lines of it...

Oh well
    PuppyCupcake.JPG

Wow that's pretty good at short notice.

It was the 4th picture to come up in Google image search :P

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    Shogun wrote: »
    I thought that was brown. Of course I'm recalling this from my days of fingerpainting, but when you mix all the paints don't they make brown? Of course paints != pigments.

I'll be going now

Thats only cheap paints, so says my art teacher.

And white is when all colours are in a perfect balance. Black is an utter lack of colour.

Technicaly neither of them are colours. But contrasts/shades.

You had color theory as well, I take it.

So wait... If you take any colors that aren't white and mix them together, you're not going to get white. Paint-wise, white represents an absence of pigments, right? When the colors are "in balance", you're going to get a shade of gray.

Granted, I haven't dropped a hundred grand on a fancy art education, but that whole "white is when all colors are in balance" thing only makes sense to me when talking about light.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I thought that was brown. Of course I'm recalling this from my days of fingerpainting, but when you mix all the paints don't they make brown? Of course paints != pigments.

I'll be going now

And white is when all colours are in a perfect balance. Black is an utter lack of colour.

So wait... If you take any colors that aren't white and mix them together, you're not going to get white. Paint-wise, white represents an absence of pigments, right? When the colors are "in balance", you're going to get a shade of gray.

Granted, I haven't dropped a hundred grand on a fancy art education, but that whole "white is when all colors are in balance" thing only makes sense to me when talking about light.

White is a pain in the ass to discuss.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm confused...

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I remember me and my friend trolling gaia.

We managed to convince about 10 turds that people with green eyes cant see dogs.

"The green pigment in the retina blocks out the light reflection patterns emitted by a dogs fur coat. Thie blocks the image from the photoreceptors and therefore never gets registered in the brain. They may see a glimpse of something in the corner of their eye, but they simply dont pick up on it."

I didnt even know if they were proper terms :D

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Colors don't actually exist, fools. Havn't you heard of Descartes? Fuckin' sheep.

James on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2007

Subtractive color, like pigments, work kind of the opposite of additive color, like lights. But in either case, you'd say that white light, whether it's projected or reflected, is a balance of the four visible colors.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    James wrote: »
    Colors don't actually exist, fools. Havn't you heard of Descartes? Fuckin' sheep.

Stop fucking adhomineming you fucking tard

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Subtractive color, like pigments, work kind of the opposite of additive color, like lights. But in either case, you'd say that white light, whether it's projected or reflected, is a balance of the four visible colors.

Don't you mean three visible colors? Unless you're seeing octarine here or something.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Chake99Chake99 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    How the fuck is this thread in D&D? Going through I've had to check the top of the page periodically to make sure I wasn't accidentally in the clusterfuck that is SE++

Chake99 on
    Hic Rhodus, Hic Salta.
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

Cass your assertion is wrong because you are a girl and everyone knows girls aren't smart.

Now get your pregnant ass back in the kitchen.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Listen I haev a degree in COLOR PHILOSOPHY? Do u know what that means?

stfu

James on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    A stupid SE++ reject admin shouldn't be listened to anyway. It's like he's saying ALL colors are the same and ALL things in the universe are the same, but duh, cats aren't dogs. I know, because I own cats and dogs. Listening to Tube is a mistake and you guys will regret it, believe me.

I mean, really, he doesn't show us why white is black and black is white, so obviously he's wrong! The sheer number of people in here who are disagreeing with him on this ought to be enough to convince you guys to ignore him; not to mention the fact that we have a whole history here of respecting the difference between white and black. Tube simply doesn't understand the color spectrum. Man, do you think he even realizes that he doesn't understand it?

Red and green are different, I've seen them, so colors are by their very nature always different. In fact, the majority of the millions of colors I see every day are black and white, so what are the odds that they're the same two colors? Shit, half of black and white is white and another 50% is black.

Anyway, even if black is white and white is black, that doesn't mean that black and white are the same. I mean, come on, frogs are green, right?

This whole forum went to shit after Tube came in here with his black and white crap, so clearly something is amiss. How could black and white be the same if there's no same difference to differentiate their differences? Either black and white are different, or the whole world is just one color, and we know that isn't right... for example, the frog.

So, whatever, fine, black is white and white is black and so nothing is anything and the whole world will self-destruct if that's what you believe. I can't figure out a way to confuse correlation and causation with regards to this. Therefore, I'm just going to beat the shit out of you guys if you keep at this black/white/same crap!

Tube just has has gray-differential displacia, it isn't really that black is actually white. There isn't any other possible explanation.

Should I go put a post in SE++ now that's all "abloo bloo Donny's out of his league let's all post in haiku hey Katcehm is lame right look cats, anime, blah blah blah..."?

Yar on
  • Options
    LaterationLateration Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yar wrote: »
    Anyway, even if black is white and white is black, that doesn't mean that black and white are the same. I mean, come on, frogs are green, right?

But green are not frogs, so you can't form a biconditional and thus it doesn't follow the same argument form as Tube's argument.

Lateration on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2007

Don't you mean three visible colors? Unless you're seeing octarine here or something.
    Your eyes have four paired color receptors: red/green and blue/yellow. Your brain processes this information as three color concepts.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Manning'sEquationManning'sEquation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Your eyes have four paired color receptors: red/green and blue/yellow. Your brain processes this information as three color concepts.

News Flash:

Green is not a primary color.

More at 11:00
    :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_colors
    This is a joke making fun of hacksaw for those who can't tell!
    mball01_070605a.jpg

Manning'sEquation on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Did he say it was? olol, reading ftw. :P

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

News Flash:

Green is not a primary color.

More at 11:00
    :lol:

This is a joke making fun of hacksaw for those who can't tell!
    mball01_070605a.jpg

Our art class went into a shitstorm about this, but I think it goes like this:

There are two types of coloring, reflection and absorption. In one of those, green is a primary color, and in the other, green is not. Sorry I don't remember which, I hate art and cannot comprehend the minds of anyone who have talent in art. My right brain is broken.

Cantido on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    Cantido wrote: »
    There are two types of coloring, reflection and absorption. In one of those, green is a primary color, and in the other, green is not. Sorry I don't remember which, I hate art and cannot comprehend the minds of anyone who have talent in art. My right brain is broken.

With light, green is primary. With pigment, yellow is primary. I'm guessing the the former is "reflection" and the latter is "absorption", but that's just going on how I understand light and pigments to work.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Cantido wrote: »

With light, green is primary. With pigment, yellow is primary. I'm guessing the the former is "reflection" and the latter is "absorption", but that's just going on how I understand light and pigments to work.

Ah, here it is:

Additive Color = Absorption = Green is Primary and Yellow is secondary (tubes in television sets, )

Subtractive Color = Reflection = Yellow is Primary and Green is secondary (paint, nature, etc.)

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Right. In science, the primary colors in pigments are magenta, cyan and yellow (which is why printers use these colors). The primary colors in light are red, blue and green (which is why you see these colors in the phosphors of an old CRT television).

In light:

red + blue = magenta
    blue + green = cyan
    red + green = yellow

In pigment:

magenta + cyan = blue
    magenta + yellow = red
    cyan + yellow = green

It's an elegant reciprocal relationship and the relationship between absorptive colors and projective colors makes a lot of sense if you wrap your head around it the right way. The trick is that a green "thing" absorbs all colors of light besides green.

Now, in art, there's a different system used, which classifies red, blue and yellow as "primary" colors, and green, purple and orange as "secondary" colors. It doesn't correspond well to the scientific taxonomy all that well but whatever.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

stfu

I fucking deal with colors in the real world, I have a friend who works with colours, hes an artist and i will kick your ass in real life if you say i am dumb >:(

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

stfu

I fucking deal with colors in the real world, I have a friend who works with colours, hes an artist and i will kick your ass in real life if you say i am dumb >:(
    Does this artist friend have a REALLY GOOD BIG BRUSH? also, why the extra u?

Seriously though, colors were not just created, they evolved. First there were the primary colors, but over many generations of mixing and artistic selection, certain hues manifested.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

stfu

stop arguing from authority u dumb troll, i work with colors too

you're probably colorblind.

James on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Lateration wrote: »

But green are not frogs, so you can't form a biconditional and thus it doesn't follow the same argument form as Tube's argument.
    So true. You did not see what I did there.

Yar on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

or maybe...

maybe you did not see what he did there

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Are we discussing colors or hypothetical things? And if they are hypothetical have we defined them to be opposite, or at least of a nature that they cannot be both their selves and the other without producing a contradiction?

We might not be talking about colors, but rather we might be using the words "black" and "white" to reference something else about which we may or may not know anything.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Tarranon wrote: »

or maybe...

maybe you did not see what he did there
    I guess not.

Yar on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    How did I miss this thread? Tube, you should do this more often; just go in to a random forum and stir things up to keep it lively.

MKR on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I'll be going now

It's complicated, plus I only had a crash course in color theory freshman year so I don't really remember much of it. ID had a more in depth thing later on. Essentially it's the idea of separating the aspects of color (as applied additively vis a vis painting) into hue, saturation, etc. Hues fall into colors while white and black are part of either saturation or the 3rd thing.

It's wierd and a pain in the ass to remember/explain but just trust me that black and white aren't technically 'colors.'

moniker on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    MKR wrote: »
    How did I miss this thread? Tube, you should do this more often; just go in to a random forum and stir things up to keep it lively.
    It is an ill omen.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Only a complete racist neocon fucker would say that whites are actually black. How can you compare themselves to your pain? Fucking hell, racist swine, go back to Mississippi.
    I know, I know, but we were sort of losing the point, here.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    You're right, Sal. We should follow your example and keep them separated.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Japanese word for blue also means green. Mindblowing.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    This thread confuses and scares me.

I missed the joke.

Please don't hurt me.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    You're right, Sal. We should follow your example and keep them separated.

Oh snap!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

LIES AND SLANDER

Green on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    BLUE wrote: »

LIES AND SLANDER

Appeal to authority, azul.

moniker on