As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA comic: Monday December 26, 2011 - Good Data

• Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    Ashoka wrote:
    Seems they have form, I can't verify this is true, would like to tweet it to Mike all the same. :)
    http://www.natesnetwork.com/Poor-customer-service

That makes for gobsmacking reading.

Word. I DEAD SERIOUS !

That Paul is going to be all over the internetz soon.

• Options
    TrustTrust Registered User regular
    Looks like the main site is down... Has this thing broken PA through sheer volume?

We Stand Ready
  • Options
    Maybe. This thing is all over the place, just google Paul Christoforo.

• Options
    SureshockSureshock Registered User new member
    What i find most disturbing is the amount of people saying "oh its publicity either way, people will still buy the product"
    It's all about how far you can bend over these days. Maybe social media will change things? Maybe not :(
    but if this is what we have to look forward to in the future when we pay money for services. I might just start stealing everything.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sureshock wrote:
    What i find most disturbing is the amount of people saying "oh its publicity either way, people will still buy the product"
    It's all about how far you can bend over these days. Maybe social media will change things? Maybe not :(
    but if this is what we have to look forward to in the future when we pay money for services. I might just start stealing everything.

This could be a cheap trick to generate publicity for the product, but then again you got the other conversation that was linked on page 1 and you got reviews at amazon.com from september that state that the company has abyssmal customer service that will send you insulting emails.
    So I kinda doubt this is viral marketing OR that it is going to generate the kind of publicity the company wants.
    Once people know that you treat your customers like dirt a lot of your potential customers won't buy the product, even if the controversy raised awareness for the product in the first place.

EDIT: Also check the reviews the Avenger controllers are getting on amazon right now. That is going to scare away a lot of potential customers.

Librarian on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I suppose it could be some viral marketing campaign, but I'm not sure that "We have terrible customer service" is what you want to associate your product with.

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Wow.
    The sheer lack of professionalism here is gob-smacking.

And semen week is really a thing huh. I approve

101 on
  • Options
    KeiosKeios Registered User regular
    You lknow how there's that old saying that "Any publicity is good publicity"? Is it just me, or does that really not apply anymore thanks to the internet?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I think the possibility of it being viral marketing sorta evaporated right when the guy started name dropping and burning every bridge.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's amazing to me that this person still has a job. I almost feel bad for the company that this guy is representing them.

• Options
    well, now that I read http://www.natesnetwork.com/Poor-customer-service maybe I don't feel as bad for the company for not firing him...

• Options
    ahahahah! this is great!
    caption.png

on the front page of the Ocean Marketing website...

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    ahahahah! this is great!
    caption.png

on the front page of the Ocean Marketing website...
    It truly is the best Christmas gift.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I... wait what the hell is going on? O_o

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

Some marketing guy was a dick on the internet to a customer, started dropping names, and now those names are telling him to get fucked.

Read the main page

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Henroid wrote:

Some dude didn't get a controller that he ordered in time for Christmas.
    Dude tried to contact the distributer he ordered from to get additional information.
    Distributer was less then helpful and a total dick.
    Dude called the distributer on his dickishness.
    INTERNET RAGE FACE!

see317 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

Some marketing guy was a dick on the internet to a customer, started dropping names, and now those names are telling him to get fucked.

Read the main page

I finally got the main page to load (uh, sorta) and saw the email exchange. Holy shit.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    This is a good example of what not to do. Everyone should take this to heart. Though if this needs to be told to you, then you weren't ready for prime-time anyways.

• Options
    <:__)~ wrote:
    @OceanMarketting Please refrain from referring to me or IGN as support for you, your company or your clients. You do not have it.” -@ScottLowe (Executive Editor of @IGNTech)
    buahbohan wrote:
    Guys, be careful if you're tweeting about this. This guy's twitter account is @OceanMarketting (two T's). Don't bring the wrath down on an innocent bystander.

Edit:
    Paul Christoforo's response to IGN's Scott Lowe's tweet
    @ScottLowe your a douchebag anyway Scott we sent you how many units for review , How many conversations You were the unprofessional one

So he pretty much says, "NO U." This is classic.

• Options
    Syphyre wrote:
    This is a good example of what not to do. Everyone should take this to heart. Though if this needs to be told to you, then you weren't ready for prime-time anyways.

And yet, we seem to see this more and more often.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Yeah that guy committed career suicide. The absolute last person you want to get in a shitting contest is Mike. He's stubborn enough to not drop it, one of the biggest names with the biggest soapbox in the community and he's spiteful enough to direct it like a giant moon laser. That shoots metaphorical shit.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    He's also a hell of a prankster. Paul Christoforo is gonna wake up inside a buried coffin, with a single match.

Also, I just looked back on Paul's tweets...it seems like he spends most of his time selling shit on ebay. Huh.

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    THESPOOKY wrote:
    He's also a hell of a prankster. Paul Christoforo is gonna wake up inside a buried coffin, with a single match.

Also, I just looked back on Paul's tweets...it seems like he spends most of his time selling shit on ebay. Huh.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Probably review materials that come back ;)

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I love the point in the e-mail chain were you can almost see Ocean Marketing guy taking a minute to figure out that Mike K is actually Gabe and his entire attitude towards him pulls a 180. Then he discovers it's too little too late so he pulls another 180 back to his original course. It's beautiful in it's own special way.
    To: Mike Krahulik
    Dec 26, 2011 at 9:33 PM

OK Mike whatever you say lol , are you sure hour not in Boston I spoke to the person who ran the show in Boston last year. If you let some little kid influence you over a pre order then we don’t want to be a your show ,Ill be on the floor anyway so come find me ...I’ll see space where ever I want , with who I want when I want and where I want so many ways around you and so many connections in this industry its silly. Anyway , I have no issue with you Sean Buckley Engadget, Scott Lowe IGN and the list goes on and on. Little kids unhappy with a PRE ORDER starting trouble and you email that to us , he’s a customer unless you’re his boyfriend then you should side with the company not the customer. Be Careful
    To: Ocean Marketing
    Dec 26, 2011 at 9:40 PM

I do run Pax, but I also run a website called penny arcade. It’s kinda popular.
    Dec 26, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Mike I’m not trying to fight with you I’m really not , you should give me the benefit of the doubt before judging over one person’s bitching . Did I feed into his emails a little bit too much yeah ok . But it’s one person dude for real. No disrespect intended for you , My name is good in this industry and I know a lot of people. I’ll be at CES are you going ?
    To: Ocean Marketing
    Dec 26, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Please remove me from this mailing list
    Dec 26, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Your spamming me you’re not on a mailing list you idiot ! You sent me an email remember . Make sure you stir up a lot of controversy about us the more the better we needed some drama gets good blood flow going about the new product launch . Your sites amateur at best my son could put together a better site than yours and you run PAX ?? Wow , Ill put my marketing team on a smear campaign of you and your site and your emails , I have about 125 dedicated people to run PR , Blogs , Articles , Videos you have no clue who I am . Thanks again

It's like watching a train wreck, only the train is full of mimes and ballet dancers. It's horrible yet bizarrely graceful and I can't turn away.

• Options
    Cross posting from the industry thread in G&T:
    Henroid wrote:
    Guys it gets better.
    @thinkgeek Have you seen Gabe's story on wwww.penny-arcade.com? I know you carry the Avenger controller, but maybe you shouldn't.
    @ZedCreative Yep, we're looking into it now.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I foresee an amazon bomb in their near future.

Apparently before this whole mess started, all the 5-star reviews of their products on amazon were written by accounts that had never reviewed any other products. So add sock-puppeting to the list of charges.

• Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    Holy balls this is hilarious. I'm forwarding this to the couple marketing professors I had in business school. I'm sure they'll find this glorious.

Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    Oh my god, this dude not only woke the internet Kraken - he stabbed it with a branding iron.
    Is the main site down because of the traffic from this knob jockey?

Its blown up everywhere - Kotaku, Reddit, G4 - and everyone is referring back to the main page.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote:
    I foresee an amazon bomb in their near future.

Apparently before this whole mess started, all the 5-star reviews of their products on amazon were written by accounts that had never reviewed any other products. So add sock-puppeting to the list of charges.

So that's what his "team of 125 people" are for, eh?

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    If he really has a team of 125 people, why is he answering customer service emails himself?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    team of 125 email addresses and amazon accounts

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Tomanta wrote:
    If he really has a team of 125 people, why is he answering customer service emails himself?

Because that's how much he really cares about his customers!

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I love it when people think they can fight the internet and win.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    <:__)~<:__)~ Registered User regular
    So, somewhere between Reddit and SomethingAwful, they've discovered Paul is also known as TheAngryPimp, both on Myspace (http://www.myspace.com/theangrypimp03/photos/albums/my-photos/465591), and apparently as this other place...http://forums.steroid.com/search.php?searchid=1102907#.Tvn1gfIkJ8F If you scroll through some of the threads on that forum, he is apparently just a giant asshole everywhere he goes.

Also, actual Myspace photo
    l.jpg

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    man this is going to get good.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I love it when people think they can fight the internet and win.

seriously, these days it's like a hobby for some people to scorched earth douchebags like this guy

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    It's always humorous when a jerk says they have support from someone, then that someone tells them to quit claiming that. The support might have been there, but stuff like this is how you lose it.

MKR on
  • Options
    KeiosKeios Registered User regular
    My girlfriend just read through this, and after she finished laughing, pointed out that this guy might find himself on the receiving end of a lawsuit from the actual company making this controller. Why? Simple, his company has been hired to act (presumably) as PR and marketing, what he is doing is essentially the exact opposite of that, meaning that he is bringing his employer into disrepute and possibly breaching his contract with them. I don't know about US law, but here in the UK, that would be sufficient grounds for terminating his contract and suing him for loss of earnings.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MKR wrote:
    It's always humorous when a jerk says they have support from someone, then that someone tells them to quit claiming that. The support might have been there, but stuff like this is how you lose it.

Calling your supposed support a douchebag is also a good way to lose it.

• Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    Apparently, they've also found that Mr. AngryPimp is a Roid user too.

GAHHH, MUAHAHAHA I AM THE ANGRY PIMP. CUSTOMERS ARE WEAK AND PATHETIC.
    I AM THE MAYOR OF ALL-EVERYTHING-TOWN. I WWEBSITE AS ON THE INTERNET!!

sniffle...sniffle...please balls..please come back...I'll change...please....