As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I've drawn some Journal Comics!

8BitLoser8BitLoser Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Artist's Corner

UPDATED THREAD WITH NEW COMICS!! They're from this year and everything.
SCROLL DOWN and you can see them!

Hey all! I've been working on some journal comics and I've been sort of spinning in a void in terms of any sort of general reaction to them.

So I thought I might see what you guys and gals here thought.

I'm not sure what else there is I can say about them that isn't self-explanatory. They're journal comics, so they're about me. The series is called "The Secret Life of a Journal Comic" and I have them at my site www.journalcomic.com

So yeah, here are the comics!

Body Mass In Dicks
ibr83uetDHwAiZ.gif

A New Record
iZWBY9VoMmAPu.gif

Feeling Cyclical
iicudtFjn5aSG.gif

Tropey Troubles
ibtNqxS0lWPxVT.gif

The Fun In Funeral
ibshiyAF9zFR1v.gif

Room Checkmate
i3jVMklxFdCcu.gif

Lost Hat Puzzle
i20e5lRQ0CNFJ.gif

Project Condemn
imODl5WeJPv5v.gif

Cold Shower
ip1ODQ7o6GyS0.gif

SafeSearch Plus
im45Tmkt8k0Kv.gif

Beauty On Outside
iHlpp85YC7ruk.gif

Walk The Whine
icQJrTaAbCo13.gif

Ex Games
i5dQKTqxClRaS.gif

Lost Xmas Weekend
iDLLT3XIJW5PB.gif

Stop Dating Yourself
ic3pmnmXdUsx2.gif

Amy Rocks
ibc9GBMPxeAZ9W.gif

So yeah, that's "The Secret Life of a Journal Comic"

I hope you like it! :D

iBz0aDtohhUJR.gif The Secret Life of a Journal Comic -
In which you watch my shameful life and hopefully laugh at me.
8BitLoser on

• Options
    Tim-YatesTim-Yates Registered User regular
    Nice work! I would work on the zip pattern though. The dots I think are too big, and are overpowering the art. Make sure when you put the pattern on that it's sized exactly how it will be displayed on the screen while you're doing it. When I look at these zoomed out, the size as they would appear say on a newspaper, the problem is resolved. I would even try just using flat gray colors with no pattern at all, see how that looks. Aside i like the art, it's very personable

failhunter_banner2_by_timyates-d4jn83j.jpg
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    These are fantastic and I've added your site to my daily reads. Also congrats on getting Journalcomic.com... I'll bet that doesn't hurt your google searchability.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Wait a minute; your friend found your hat and then gave it away to someone else?
    He sounds like a bit of a dick.

Also I like your comics.

• Options
    @Mustang

Haha, well he didn't take it, someone else apparently came over and took it. Still though, that means some friend of mine is a dick.
    But I have the hat make now, so it all worked out.

iba0sgvsfVjvcn.gif

And thanks! I'm glad you liked the comics!

@amateurhour

Thanks so much! And yeah, journalcomic.com was a pretty good get! Believe it or not, that wasn't my first choice, but my other url was swooped up by an domain farming douche bag. So on my search for alternate urls I found that no one ever picked up journalcomic.com. So it actually worked out for the best!

@Tim-Yates

Yeah, that's a good idea to mess around with the halftones a bit. I want it to be a stylish thing that doesn't just turn into gray, or like it might as well be flat gray, so I don't want to dots to be too small, but it does kind of get in the way anytime I want to show some detail on something that isn't white.

Although there might be something to be said for doing it standard flat gray. It would be a shame because I'm really a fan of that as a "look" but if it makes the art a chore to look at then it might not be worth it. So I guess I'll just have to mess around with different methods and see how it looks. I'm happy you like the though! Actually, not "though", since I'm happy for the feedback as well. Either way, I'm glad you liked them!

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I agree that these are things that are pretty good.

Have you tried to dial back the halftones? They're kinda stealing the thunder of your art at the moment. I like your arts, and even though the comics are hit or miss for me, (could just be the nature of journal comics more than anything,) your cartooning going a long way in making these enjoyable.

In case you were wondering, the dick one would be my least fav, but I think the WIH/HIM comic is the funniest IMO.

• Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    And Ty swoops in yet again to show us all how comics are done. You already know I'm a fan, I just wanted to chime in and voice my support. Keep on keepin on, duder.

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    HAT TRICK ~snicker~

• Options
    WrathborneWrathborne Web artist Beside myselfRegistered User regular
    Good work! I might suggest lightening the dark grey tone in the background a little bit. It'd help the characters stand out more.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    you could try using more halftones that are 50% grey if you're applying them digitally... (like lighten the dots themselves, not just frequency-of-dots)

if you are drawing by hand and using real zip... well, I salute you, I have never had the patience for zip-a-tone!

this is a great comic and I giggled at every single one, I will definitely be back for more.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Thanks!

8BitLoser on
  • Options
    Hey! I know this thread is almost a year old, but I've still been doing comics all this time and I've just been wondering lately what sort of tone it's been establishing and as I've been trying to refine the journal comic craft... how it's doing.

So the last time I posted the first sixteen comics, I guess now I'll post my last sixteen comic. And course, if you so wish you can feel free to look at the rest of the series on the site.

www.journalcomic.com

Landing Tests
    ib1nDtt8UqlVeT.gif

Pointless
    iB0T7THH28T7C.gif

Self Evaluation
    ibkfqYbuWLSKbw.gif

Over Drawn Out
    ii1VVq735SYAH.gif

Cutting Remarks
    iZQhYDwLcnd1Z.gif

Passive Passive
    iqy3FivqoNqxL.gif

Wish I Could
    ibc88KT2OMg1a4.gif

Cat Call
    iW1RFHbqDKuD3.gif

Star Hazing
    iA8TEDYiUQ4hv.gif

Hair Today
    i8ZRQpr2QPbpw.gif

To Know Me Is To
    ibgOzJMW7gQ2rf.gif

Glass As Half Wrong
    iFY8CUh3lo3tJ.gif

A Dub Step Ahead
    iXIgUGJKCU4yQ.gif

Shocked
    ir7jXEmFDzNG7.gif

Corporate Outing
    iNBiR30oh5f2C.gif

Gamer Tagged Out
    ibbrRKiBqqv54J.gif

I'm looking forward to hearing your assessment! Thanks so much!

• Options
    Hey! I know this thread is almost a year old, but I've still been doing comics all this time and I've just been wondering lately what sort of tone it's been establishing and as I've been trying to refine the journal comic craft... how it's doing.

So the last time I posted the first sixteen comics, I guess now I'll post my last sixteen comic. And course, if you so wish you can feel free to look at the rest of the series on the site.

www.journalcomic.com

Landing Tests
    ib1nDtt8UqlVeT.gif

Pointless
    iB0T7THH28T7C.gif

Self Evaluation
    ibkfqYbuWLSKbw.gif

Over Drawn Out
    ii1VVq735SYAH.gif

Cutting Remarks
    iZQhYDwLcnd1Z.gif

Passive Passive
    iqy3FivqoNqxL.gif

Wish I Could
    ibc88KT2OMg1a4.gif

Cat Call
    iW1RFHbqDKuD3.gif

Star Hazing
    iA8TEDYiUQ4hv.gif

Hair Today
    i8ZRQpr2QPbpw.gif

To Know Me Is To
    ibgOzJMW7gQ2rf.gif

Glass As Half Wrong
    iFY8CUh3lo3tJ.gif

A Dub Step Ahead
    iXIgUGJKCU4yQ.gif

Shocked
    ir7jXEmFDzNG7.gif

Corporate Outing
    iNBiR30oh5f2C.gif

Gamer Tagged Out
    ibbrRKiBqqv54J.gif

I'm looking forward to hearing your assessment! Thanks so much!