As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] Pre PAX East 2012 Dinner - ORDERS IN!

acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in PAX Archive

FINAL UPDATE 4/5/2012: NOMS HAVE BEEN HAD AND THE DINNER WAS A SUCCESS! I want to thank all that attended the dinner and the staff there were very pleased with how everything went as well. All that I ask is that you rate them on Yelp with the following link. Again, thank you for all showing up and for those reading this during the weekend, ENJOY PAX!!!

UPDATE 3/20/2012: ALL ORDERS ARE IN!!! All I ask is that all freestyle order attendees should bring cash so that the restaurant doesn't have to deal with a bunch of different credit cards. Here is a map of the ATMs in the area of Faneuil Hall, so you can grab cash on the way there.

PLEASE bring your ticket to the dinner for admittance. You can either download the Eventbrite app for the iPhone or Droid or print the ticket out. If you don't have a smart phone and didn't print the ticket out before getting to Boston, go to your hotel's business center and print it out there.

UPDATE 3/16/2012: ALL BUT 13 ORDERS IN. I got an extension to get the orders in by Monday, the 19th, Do if you're one of the 13, GET YOUR ORDER IN NOW!

UPDATE 3/9/2012:

I called my contact at the restaurant to make sure things are still good for the dinner and the way they want to handle the ordering for people who have pre-paid meals (non-free style tickets) and those ordering off the full menu (free style tickets) is to have the pre-paid people seated on one side and the free style ticket holders seated on the other side. If you want to change your ticket to accommodate your group, NOW is the time!

ATTENTION FREE STYLE TICKET HOLDERS: If you haven’t already, you NEED to message me THROUGH THE FORUMS with what you intend to order from their full menu. The Restaurant requires ALL food orders be turned in by Friday, so I need them for THURSDAY (3/15/2012). This is YOUR FINAL NOTICE…If you want food, tell me NOW.

Please finalize your plans for the dinner (make sure you're coming and don't have to cancel your ticket). The Restaurant REQUIRES the final food order by this coming Friday (3/16/2012). If it’s not in, you’re not eating.

Hello everyone,

PAX is coming. With it's impending arrival, everyone plans more for the event to come. For the past two years, we have had a Pre PAX dinner in downtown Boston, which was arranged by VisionOfClarity. This year, I am organizing it and I have booked at Durgin-Park for April 5th for 5pm to 7pm and have set a FINAL CAPACITY of 100. To compensate for the Magical Mystery Tour, I am going to let the 5pm start time be a rolling start; if you can get here at 5pm, good, but that doesn't mean I'm expecting everyone at 5pm. I will, however, stop checking tickets at 6pm, so please be at the restaurant by then.

Durgin Park
340 Faneuil Hall Market Place
Boston, MA 02109
(617) 227-2038

Please follow @PPDinDin on Twitter for the latest update, which will also be updated simultaneously on the forum.

ALL TICKETS HAVE SOLD OUT!!! As for those who want to be put on a waiting list, send me a private message and I will go by first come, first serve.

IMPORTANT: The room I got us is on the second floor of the building and there is no elevator access to it. Unfortunately, I did not think of this until earlier today AFTER I booked it the day before. In short, I cannot accommodate the handicapped and I apologize for the lack of foresight in that.

Ticket sales have closed, so please pay attention to the following:

For those who got a free ticket, please send me a private message as to what you will be getting as I will be calling the restaurant 2 weeks before the event so I can give them a more prepared count of who will be buying what. And again, if you got a free ticket, anything you get, you will pay on your own and I assume no cost incurred by you.

For a preview of the room I got us, to to their web site and click on the top picture of the column on the right.

I have received a copy of a group menu that best suits the price of $25.20 per person (tax & gratuity included) and here it is:

All dinners are started with a House Salad

Choices of the following:
Roast Beef
Grilled Chicken Breast
Cheeseburger
Fish & Chips

Vegetarian: Pasta Primavera
Vegan: Salad
Gluten-free: Any meat option without any bread

All entrees are served with Corn Bread & French Fries

Includes Soft Drink (Soda/Coffee/Tea) & Ice Cream

Cash bar available

Per request, I created a ticket that acts as solely an invite and costs nothing. This ticket only confirms you have signed up for the dinner and you will order off the restaurant's full menu.

ALL TICKETS will be checked before being seated.

Also, any other questions, please feel free to post.

Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

acumen101 on

• HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    I was at Fire and Ice last year for a different event - how is it with crowds the size of the Pre-PAX Dinner?

• acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    We had groups of tables, but felt more social than it did at Dick's Last Resort

• MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    I liked Dick's last resort but the way the tables were kind of made it so you could only talk to a few people. Still, the waiters were hilarious and we had a blast.

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • KailKail Keeper of Awesomeness WMASSRegistered User regular
    I vote fire and ice. love their food.

PAXEast 2013 Status - [] 3-day badge [] Hotel [] Challenge Coin
    VP of 5x5Servers.com
  • LollerskateDJLollerskateDJ Registered User regular
    Fire and Ice is awesome. I vote there and I'll be able to go this time :3

PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Confirmed for East [X] Badges [X]Money
    PAX East 2012 Shape-a-thon--Team Twitter Spam [LITE] -- Thinspiration!
    OMG Follow me! @LollerskateDJ
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I know very little about fire and ice. A huge pair of things to keep close in mind though will be "is it close to the bar crawl?" and "is it all ages?"

Both are very important. I think the community feel will matter as well as some have pointed out.

Dicks was fun but as some have pointed out their layout did not lend to being especially social except with one's immediate neighbors.

• beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Acumen, if you want help or advice, please send me a PM. I'm more than happy to assist. :)

UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    I know very little about fire and ice. A huge pair of things to keep close in mind though will be "is it close to the bar crawl?" and "is it all ages?"

Both are very important. I think the community feel will matter as well as some have pointed out.

Dicks was fun but as some have pointed out their layout did not lend to being especially social except with one's immediate neighbors.

Again Zerzhul knows best. I also remember that last year the initial plan was to go to Fire and Ice but something went wrong. I do believe it was the age thing but I can't remember.

Whatever ends up being chosen, I will be there. Also if the only big problem we had was table placement then maybe we could do something about it for next PAX.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Yeh, I was there last year for the Dicks Last Resort dinner. I had a good time but felt like I didn't get a chance to meet alot of people because of the seating. I would be game for Fire and Ice though.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    I voted for fire and ice as I love Mongolian grills

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    i'm curious to hear some new ideas thrown around if anyone's got 'em. not looking to complicate things, but there must be more than 2 options out there. i wrote in border cafe in harvard square on the survey, primarily because i'm a fan of anyplace that gives me chips, salsa, and margaritas. also i've heard of them doing large groups/functions, so i imagine they have a way of handling that sort of thing. i'm really interested in hearing of any other places people might know of that can do a big group though.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    I am somewhat ambivalent. This year I plan to make it to the pre-pax dinnar (flying in extra early too). The ideal solution to me is a giant mead-hall adorned in shields with the PAX coat of arms and huge goblets to drink from.

• TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how much is food eating at the resturants during a large convention? I just want to make sure im bringing enough money, ha.

8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • Tom819Tom819 Haverhill, MARegistered User regular
    I don't think the prices change for a convention in town. Its Boston so it's a little on the high side to start. To go out and eat and drink in Boston figure avg $30-$40. Obviously there are cheaper options and pricier options.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    What time is the dinner start usually? Trying to plan my arrival time.

I also vote that this be a late event! I want to go on the PAXTrain but it arrives at 9:10. :(

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2011
    The Pre PAX Dinner is always timed to end just before the barcrawl since there is always a ton of overlap between those events. A typical timeframe for the dinner would be 6pm-8pm (barcrawl typically starts at 8:30pm).

Edit: in addition, there are occasionally some folks that organize a late dinner for all the latecomers on thursday, so you might be able to head up that group, or be a part of it if/when it starts.

zerzhul on
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I am game for anywhere. This will be my first Pax east and I'm just happy to get to meet new faces. I plan on getting to Boston in the early afternoon/late morning to do some sightseeing, so anytime is good for me.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
    zerzhul wrote:
    The Pre PAX Dinner is always timed to end just before the barcrawl since there is always a ton of overlap between those events. A typical timeframe for the dinner would be 6pm-8pm (barcrawl typically starts at 8:30pm).

Edit: in addition, there are occasionally some folks that organize a late dinner for all the latecomers on thursday, so you might be able to head up that group, or be a part of it if/when it starts.

Thanks Zerzhul, this will change my thoughts on the PAXTrain because i definitely want to go to the barcrawl...

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Creamsteak wrote:
    I am somewhat ambivalent. This year I plan to make it to the pre-pax dinnar (flying in extra early too). The ideal solution to me is a giant mead-hall adorned in shields with the PAX coat of arms and huge goblets to drink from.

I know this is extremely unlikely to happen but GOD DAMN.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:

Again Zerzhul knows best. I also remember that last year the initial plan was to go to Fire and Ice but something went wrong. I do believe it was the age thing but I can't remember.

Whatever ends up being chosen, I will be there. Also if the only big problem we had was table placement then maybe we could do something about it for next PAX.

Last year, VoC wanted to get a venue closer to the BCEC, but not too many places very close to the Center were capable of doing what we wanted. As for the age issue, it was with another venue, but not Fire & Ice (it was further away from the BCEC, but still on the Pokecrawl).

• Susan69Susan69 Registered User regular
    Oh, I agree with tvethiopia that Border Cafe would be a great place!!!

• nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    I don't really have a preference, as long as there is a vegetarian option, although of the two it sounds like fire and ice would be preferable in terms of meeting people. Was very disappointed to miss this last year, and coming on Thursday just to make it.

If I had to make a choice I am all for Creamsteak's giant Mead Hall idea, but barring that I will trust everyone else's decision.

• RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    Boston doesn't have a giant mead hall? I thought it was a global city!

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    I'm down for any place as this'll be my first time on the East coast in a state further north than SC. I just hope I make it in time for this as I missed the pre-PAX dinner at Prime '11 (though I did go to the late pre-PAX dinner. Had to get some kind of forum community thing in at my first PAX.)

The things I would build if I was disproportionately wealthy...

• Matty_TMatty_T Registered User new member
    I personally would choose Dicks Last Resort, the food there is pretty good!

• MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    You have my axe.

• SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    I am looking forward to making the PPD this year, as I skipped it for Prime. I'm coming to Boston with a group, but I'll likely be coming to the dinner alone. My vote is for whichever place allows for the most mingling and has yummy cocktails.

• MrArcysMrArcys Cincinnati, OHRegistered User regular
    I'm in.

Has anybody asked Boston's Visitors Bureau? They might have a few ideas.

PAX East 2013: [ ] Badge // [X] Hotel // [ ] Travel // [ ] Time Off
    Twitter: @MrArcys
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Definitely going to get in on this this year, I'd like to do the pub crawl but my 20 Y.O friend will be with me... weak.

MelesMeles wrote:
    You have my axe.

And my dagger.

• LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    Creamsteak wrote:
    MelesMeles wrote:
    You have my axe.

And my dagger.

And my mouth. Om nom nom.

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    I agree, it's somewhat tricky to get everything right in a venue for such an event. My vote is going to be for Kingston Station, they do private parties up to 80 people, and have space for up to 200, they are only a few blocks from where I believe the bar crawl will start, and it's $35 for a prix fixe 2-course menu.

Other options I found:

Vlora Mediterranean Restaurant

Marliave

Jerry Remy's Sports Bar and Grill

Elephant Walk

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I like the look/menu of them all, but each seems a bit too fancy, for me anyways. The sports bar is a cool atmosphere and more my kinda fare.
    I'm game for wherever everyone agrees on.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • LollerskateDJLollerskateDJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Exodus1 wrote:
    I agree, it's somewhat tricky to get everything right in a venue for such an event. My vote is going to be for Kingston Station, they do private parties up to 80 people, and have space for up to 200, they are only a few blocks from where I believe the bar crawl will start, and it's $35 for a prix fixe 2-course menu.

Other options I found:

Vlora Mediterranean Restaurant

Marliave

Jerry Remy's Sports Bar and Grill

Elephant Walk

Jerry Remy's wasn't too bad, my roomies and I went there last year for lunch/dinner and I enjoyed it. It was still during their grand opening but the bar is really nice and could sit a good amount of people. :) There is one right down the street from the Renaissance Hotel and BCEC which is the one I went to

LollerskateDJ on
    PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Confirmed for East [X] Badges [X]Money
    PAX East 2012 Shape-a-thon--Team Twitter Spam [LITE] -- Thinspiration!
    OMG Follow me! @LollerskateDJ
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I'm open to other locations but I do think that they need to be close to the start of the pubcrawl.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • aikoeaikoe Registered User regular
    I'd love to come to this, but we're driving in from Ohio and don't expect to even get to the hotel before 7.

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    NEED TWO ROOMS IN THE WESTIN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! Please PM me!
  • Susan69Susan69 Registered User regular
    Where does the bar crawl start?

• Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    Susan69 wrote:
    Where does the bar crawl start?

Well last year we ate at Dick's and that was at Faneuil Hall, and the bar crawl started very nearby, a couple blocks if that.