As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Our Unrepresentative Representation

1235»

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Feral wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    I'm not concerned with who literally did this; John Boehner hijacked the government by ending a House session over a single bill.

Boehner wasn't presiding, it was the speaker pro tempore - as enlightenedbum said, Mike Fitzpatrick.

Unfortunately, as the actual Speaker, he's still responsible for his replacement's actions. He doesn't get off the hook.

Edit - It's not unlike delegating tasks at the work place; if you delegate and the task isn't done or done properly, you're still responsible.

Henroid on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Oh, Boehner is hilariously incompetent and a genuine asshole, no argument.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I didn't realize this particular adjournment shit has been going on to prevent Obama from making recess apointments. I can't believe how obstructionist republicans have become with regards to congress and how the media gives them a damn pass.

Like Cantor and Boehnor acting like its the Obama admin who's keeping the tax cut in trouble. Cantor even being a slimy prick about it and slinging some bullshit about seeing Obama christmas shopping with his dog and that he could bring his dog to congress. He's the fucking president you dip shit, he's in the executive branch he doesn't do your fucking job for you you slimy cunt.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    I didn't realize this particular adjournment shit has been going on to prevent Obama from making recess apointments. I can't believe how obstructionist republicans have become with regards to congress and how the media gives them a damn pass.

Like Cantor and Boehnor acting like its the Obama admin who's keeping the tax cut in trouble. Cantor even being a slimy prick about it and slinging some bullshit about seeing Obama christmas shopping with his dog and that he could bring his dog to congress. He's the fucking president you dip shit, he's in the executive branch he doesn't do your fucking job for you you slimy cunt.

The entire GOP gameplan has been to keep Obama from doing anything then blame him for the government not working.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    And I wish outside of MSNBC that the media would call them on it. Like the bs yesterday including turning the camera off of their shame. Hilariously it was turning the camera off that seems to be getting the outrage, not just that this has been going on since they took power.

Its funny that republicans say Obama Usurped power when thats really all they've been doing since the 2010 elections.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Yup.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It creates a sense of them "fighting the power" by making the accusation first and consistently.

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    It creates a sense of them "fighting the power" by making the accusation first and consistently.

Where as its more like the boy who cried wolf, except in this case the boy is eating the sheep. Just like the voter fraud bullshit that is a blatant poll tax anti voter restrictions. Republicans accuse their opponents of doing the very things they are, because they can't see an opponent not being as god damn dirty awful as they are.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'd pay good money to have that boy who cried wolf analogy in art form.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    And I wish outside of MSNBC that the media would call them on it. Like the bs yesterday including turning the camera off of their shame. Hilariously it was turning the camera off that seems to be getting the outrage, not just that this has been going on since they took power.

Its funny that republicans say Obama Usurped power when thats really all they've been doing since the 2010 elections.

The whole point of the "Obama usurped power" angle to to delegitimize Obama and "non-republican" leadership in general.

"The US is a Centre-Right nation" and all that shit. The US is obviously right-wing and proper and correct and thus any election that shows otherwise is prima facia illegitimate.

• Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Henroid wrote:
    I'd pay good money to have that boy who cried wolf analogy in art form.

It would make a perfect political cartoon. The Boy has blood on his mouth, a fat belly (hanging just a bit outside his shirt) and a sheep with the words "Middle Class" on it is lying dead and mutilated on the ground and then the boy has a speech bubble saying "If it wasn't for all these wolves around here we might've been able to save this sheep."

Edit: Better idea, three sheep, one "Middle Class" is in pieces and another "Working class" is dead with large bite marks. And a third sheep "The upper class" is standing behind the boy looking like a pampered pet with a fat belly and a little blood on its mouth as well. Dialogue is "What a horrible tragedy! If only it weren't for all of those wolves out there I might've been able to save these sheep." Another boy to represent the Democrat can be seen sleeping while leaning against a nearby fencepost with a sleeping mask and earplugs in.

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    I'm not concerned with who literally did this; John Boehner hijacked the government by ending a House session over a single bill.

Boehner wasn't presiding, it was the speaker pro tempore - as enlightenedbum said, Mike Fitzpatrick.
    motherfuck that's mine

I met that guy!

• Options
    Elendil wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

motherfuck that's mine

I met that guy!

Meet him again. And punch him in the junk.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

motherfuck that's mine

I met that guy!

Don't you have to be a man for a man check to have an effect on you?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    zeeny wrote:
    Lolken wrote:
    And haima is spelled with an alpha and iota, but in American English we spell it hemachromatosis. The Greek spelling doesn't really matter.

I know, it's a particular peeve :/ English's the only language that puts an e there

No, it isn't. That's all.

Yes it is. That's all.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Boy it sure is a good thing I'm not an elected national representative, otherwise I might be decapitating Republicans and putting their heads on spikes right about now.

• Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Boy it sure is a good thing I'm not an elected national representative, otherwise I might be decapitating Republicans and putting their heads on spikes right about now.

If the House of Representatives gets its own Mace, maybe the Senate should get an axe? :D

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Lolken wrote:
    zeeny wrote:
    Lolken wrote:
    And haima is spelled with an alpha and iota, but in American English we spell it hemachromatosis. The Greek spelling doesn't really matter.

I know, it's a particular peeve :/ English's the only language that puts an e there

Yes it is. That's all.
    Before making absolute claims, it helps to do any research at all. In Spanish, hematology (the study of blood) is hematologia. In French, it's hématologie. See? Not so hard.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

motherfuck that's mine

I met that guy!

Don't you have to be a man for a man check to have an effect on you?

At the very least, man shaped.

Who knows what kind of reptilian bullshit is hiding under that flesh.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Hacksaw wrote:

If the House of Representatives gets its own Mace, maybe the Senate should get an axe? :D

Trebuchet. It has range to hit the Speaker's office from there.

moniker on
  • Options
    LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    zeeny wrote:
    Lolken wrote:

Yes it is. That's all.
    Lolken wrote:
    zeeny wrote:
    Lolken wrote:

Yes it is. That's all.
    Before making absolute claims, it helps to do any research at all. In Spanish, hematology (the study of blood) is hematologia. In French, it's hématologie. See? Not so hard.

Alpha +iota (which does equal e, therefore homeousians for example) =/= iota.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Assuming you mean that English is the only language that spells praxeology with an e instead of an i, you're still wrong, since Spanish and French apply the same principle as in hematology.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Now you've got me wondering whether gaia and geo have the same root.

Not that this wouldn't be the most awesome way ever to have the thread reboot, but we should get back on track. So, have the candidates said anything about North Korea?

Edit: Wait, this isn't the primary thread at all. Dammit.

jothki on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:
    Of course, Washington D.C., which is 50% black, has a population larger than that of Wyoming's, and yet Wyoming has over a billion percent of the voting Congressional representation of D.C. (in that they have voting Congressional representation). Coincidence? I think not.
    DC has only been majority black since about 1960. For most of its existence, it has been majority white. DC reaches its highpoint of population of 800K in 1950, when it was also about 65% white. DC is likely to be majority (or at least plurality) white again in 2020 or so.

DC's lack of representation in Congress isn't due to racism. It's due to the fact that getting DC representation would require either a Constitutional amendment or actually turning DC into a state. The former is unlikely, for a number of reasons, and the latter would never happen because the Feds don't want to give up their powers here.

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Arghhh...

So much of this thread gets my blood boiling. Corrupt politicians and unethical politics is the bane of our existence. They make the rules and the rules are often unfair and unjust...and downright unethical.

We need to change this shit in my lifetime.

I have worked in the state legislature and I'll tell you one thing, when you are sitting on the house or senate floor, there is a feeling of invincibility that courses through your body. It feels like nobody can stop you from doing what you want to do. You are passing laws and the public isn't there to witness it or put a stop to it. You are behind walls that keep lesser people out and you truly get the sense that you are better than everyone else. They put themselves on a podium.

This is when the mind of the politician becomes corrupt.

• Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    Slider wrote:
    Arghhh...

So much of this thread gets my blood boiling. Corrupt politicians and unethical politics is the bane of our existence. They make the rules and the rules are often unfair and unjust...and downright unethical.

We need to change this shit in my lifetime.

I have worked in the state legislature and I'll tell you one thing, when you are sitting on the house or senate floor, there is a feeling of invincibility that courses through your body. It feels like nobody can stop you from doing what you want to do. You are passing laws and the public isn't there to witness it or put a stop to it. You are behind walls that keep lesser people out and you truly get the sense that you are better than everyone else. They put themselves on a podium.

This is when the mind of the politician becomes corrupt.

So what you're saying is we need to put them in a stadium and arm the crowd with rotten vegetables? I like. Tape it too.

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote:

Honestly I think Obama could have the congressional GOP members arrested for being traitors and despite it being an overreach of executive authority in the extreme, his approval would skyrocket amongst those of us who want prosperity.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:

Honestly I think Obama could have the congressional GOP members arrested for being traitors and despite it being an overreach of executive authority in the extreme, his approval would skyrocket amongst those of us who want prosperity.

I'm okay with this.

• Options
    I know it sets a dangerous prescedent blah blah blah. America has to survive their current fuckery to worry about any lasting damage.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Well we could throw them in jail for being endlessly obstructionist. I mean, when you start to block progress to the point where federal agencies can't properly execute their duties due to Republicans being shitbags, that's probably minorly treasonous on their part.

Light Treason, if you will.
    george-bluth.jpg

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    You guys sound like a broken record. The Democrats are doing just as much to fuck this country as the Republicans, they're just doing it in different ways. Both parties need to go away.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    darklite_x wrote:
    You guys sound like a broken record. The Democrats are doing just as much to fuck this country as the Republicans, they're just doing it in different ways. Both parties need to go away.
    And?

• Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    darklite_x wrote:
    And?

What do you mean "And?", the masters will finally hatch, and our reptilen overlords will rule justly.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    darklite_x wrote:

Such as?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Yes yes we have to do this song and dance again, democrats are incompetent and corrupt in their own ways, this place is an echo chamber, two sides of the same coin etc. Except i'm pretty sure given the fact that our government almost shut down twice over virtually fabricated crises, not to mention the recent payroll tax cut fiasco, this year (and ignoring everything else congressional republicans have done throughout Obama's term) it can be confidently said that the GOP has been doing a much more fantastic job of being obstructionist and fucking things up for the citizenry. Liberal bias or whatever the fuck you may want to say.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    darklite_x wrote:
    Really? Howso?

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    The Dema are incompetent, spineless, and out of touch, sure. But GOP is actively harmful and willfully obstructionist.

Intent does matter here. Sure I'd prefer to have
    a sane center right party (most democrats today) and a true progressive option instead of a bunch batshit crazy religious nationalists and a dysfunctional center right group masquerading as liberals. I'd also like a pony.