As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Christmas miracle (luck/car thread)

bwaniebwanie Posting into the voidRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Social Entropy++
Sometimes, the universe just decides to smile rather than shit on you for a change.

Two weeks ago, on the same day mind you, i scored a 1000 euro worth of perfect condition 2nd hand clothes for 37 euro (7 designer pieces), as well as getting 100 dollars off on a pair of super comfy, super slick leather shoes because some store clerk forgot to take them out of the store for winter sale.

Today this happened:

I just got a new Job and needed to still pick a company car as i opted for a temporary car. The temp car was a civic hybrid which i am absolutely in love with.

So today, totally on a whim i decided, that's my car. Talked to my boss who gave the go-ahead to get an offer from a dealer.

"Ring-ring. Yes this is so-and-so, can you quote me on the civic hybrid? Black, full option except 16" rims and leather please.

"They're sold out EVERYWHERE and no-more will be available (* honda is pulling the plug in favor of that fuck-ugly insight piece of crap).

"....well FUCK."

I was devastated. This car has everything. Navigation, automatic, is not prius-ugly and is pretty zippy.

AND, most importantly, due to tax-laws would only cost me 160 euro a month, where a similar non-hybrid car would be 250 easily.

But, i got a hold of a dealer who had a 2 month old demo in my preferred color (metallic black), willing to sell if i could find a lease company willing to take a first-owner car into their fleet. They offered me a 5000 euro discount for it being a demo.

My boss pulled some favors and strings and even agreed on me getting the full nav + 16" inch rims + leather.
And it will only cost me like 140 euro a month now!

Civic-Hybrid.jpg

You guys had any good fortune lately? Or talk about cars i guess, if you're one of those unlucky types.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
bwanie on

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    The people at two separate department stores took returns without receipts, allowing me to turn ugly sweaters from my mother-in-law into nicer ones.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I feel like everything has been coming up Salient these days, to the point where I feel awkward discussing how fortunate I am feeling.

That's rad about your car, though, bwanie!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    ugly sweaters can be pretty expensive!

i bet you made out like a bandit.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
    I feel like everything has been coming up Salient these days, to the point where I feel awkward discussing how fortunate I am feeling.

That's rad about your car, though, bwanie!

no no, same here, please share your lucky events!

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I just bought a Mazda 3 a few weeks ago.

Leather, 17 inch wheels, 2.5 liter.

No nav, but a $100 garmin will solve that.

It's a very fun car to drive.

Value wise I probably could have done better with a Subaru or maybe even a Nissan, but I really like the way Mazda's look on the exterior, and they have a reputation as well-handling vehicles.

Also today I saw a Maserati GranTurismo driving next to me and was jealous.

auch, the fully integrated dayton in this puppy with bluetooth phone shizzle (which i can't live without since the fines are astronomical and i can't phone-and-drive anyway) sets you back 2200 euro.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
    I have bluetooth phone and audio, but I am too lazy to figure out how to setup the voice controls.

For some reason it doesn't seem to read my iPhones address book contact list

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Wait, I'm not understanding something. You get a company car, but you have to pay for it?

BLM - ACAB
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Um. Well for starters, I planned this vacation I'm on right now back in September, even though I knew it would cost me an arm and a leg. I make 600,000 KRW a month from teaching part-time and private lessons, and I was paying off my 1400 USD plane ticket and my 500 car rental in what would be... basically 270 USD increments, half of every month's income. That plus the cost of living and school were basically leaving me broke as hell.

Then my parents offered to pay for my rental car! And I found out that I wouldn't have to pay for or turn in my application to the Korean history program at my current university until June, when I thought I'd have to do it in December, so I've got a windfall in terms of time and finances. The Montessori kindergarten where I teach is doing well, also, so the owners offered to help me if I needed to figure out my finances differently or if I was interested in taking additional courses in Montessori (which I'm not able to swing at the moment, but it was a really nice offer).

But more than that... I've just been feeling really fortunate. I've got an awesome dog, great friends, I'm feeling pretty good about myself in terms of physical and mental well-being, and I have an inexplicably positive outlook on my next two semesters of study, despite the fact that they will probably be brutally difficult.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    edited December 2011
    The Geek wrote:
    Wait, I'm not understanding something. You get a company car, but you have to pay for it?

It's a dutch tax system, if you use the car privately you have to add a percentage of the price to your gross income so they can tax you for it.

But the company also pays all my gas, which is like super expensive the Netherlands ( 2.90 dollar for a liter) so it's still way cheaper than buying one yourself.

Especially considering this is a hybrid so it's 14% instead of the usual 25% for automatics.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Life has been going alright

Nothing super lucky happening

But I'm happy and healthy and can't complain so!

edited December 2011
    Sheri i thought you were doing pretty OK fame and business-wise?

Better than previous years at least?

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Couple of weeks ago I had an issue with a gift card return at Best Buy so I had to call and they refunded my the money back on my original gift card. I spent it the next day. Fast forward to yesterday and I get a letter in the mail containing a new gift card with $42.97 on it, the exact amount of my refund.

They double refunded me.

This is about as lucky as I get.

• SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    i bought a new ford focus last week

it's electric blue and it's pretty neat!

tho my previous car was a 97 mercury cougar so really any new car is a step up

edited December 2011
    My previous car was a 2ltr focus 2008 wagon, full option.

Great car, but way too speeding-ticket inducing and it cost me like 270 dollar in taxes.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    my luck tends to be more indirect

the random residue of persistence and ability that eventually clicks into place

I have had no bank errors in my favor

bwanie wrote:

Hah, fame?

I have a much better job than this time last year! Still not self-employed, though. :\

• M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    I'm looking at getting a bmw m3 02/03 model but the place wants 21k for it. I wonder if I can talk em down though.

Sheri wrote:
    bwanie wrote:

Hah, fame?

I have a much better job than this time last year! Still not self-employed, though. :\

i thought you were somewhat internet famous in whatever craft niches there exist?

Yh6tI4T.jpg
    penny-arcade famous

represent

the best kind of famous

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    nothing good really ever happens in my life. it's sort of a shitty gig.

i found $9 on the ground at work once though

reposig.jpg
    edited December 2011
    oh fandy

i once found 125 guilders on the floor in a bar, which turned out to belong to a total asshole so it was double sweet.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    Also it is the radio 2 top2000 week, which is the best playlist ever, and my wife and kids are gone for the week.

"Why hello Auchintoshan12 yr old, my good friend. Help me sing grossly out of tune to all these great songs."

Yh6tI4T.jpg
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    I found $20 on the ground a few weeks ago, is everyone jealous

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    ---

Platy on
    edited December 2011

20 dollars is kinda situational.

Say, for instance, you're this crack whore and there is some supergood crack on sale and it's 20 dollars for a good sized rock. Then 20 dollars is like the fucking lottery.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    one time I found a bag full of empty bottles, which can be recycled for money

so I did that and turned the bottles into money, and then I turned the money into chocolate

it may not sound like a big deal but when I was a kid I didn't have any real source of income, so to me it was like I'd found a suitcase full of unmarked cash

thenews.jpg
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Sheri wrote:
    I am the most un-famous

Oh my glob

@Sheri

You're The Sheri!?

EEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    <3

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    i ate a pretty good pizza

broken image link
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I on the other hand have bought a new car.

Delivery is late this month.

My current car broke down again.

Frustrating!

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote:

20 dollars is kinda situational.

Say, for instance, you're this crack whore and there is some supergood crack on sale and it's 20 dollars for a good sized rock. Then 20 dollars is like the fucking lottery.

Oh I definitely felt like I hit the lottery and I am not a crack whore at all

Just a regular old whore

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
    Veretas wrote:
    Sheri wrote:
    I am the most un-famous

Oh my glob

@Sheri

You're The Sheri!?

<3

This actually happened once.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    I've been killing it recently too, it seems. I just got an 8k pay rise on my per annum, I completed some courses to do with occupational health and safety and looks like my outboard motor on my boat is fixable for not an outrageous fee.

I mean, really not much of it has to do with luck, but I do feel very lucky that I was given the opportunities in the first place

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Sheri wrote:
    Veretas wrote:
    Sheri wrote:
    I am the most un-famous

Oh my glob

@Sheri

You're The Sheri!?

<3

This actually happened once.

Heyyyyyy

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    fonzie2.jpg

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such