As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ratatouille

RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, a new Pixar movie is out, Ratatouille. Directed by Brad Bird of the Incredibles. The trailer looks so-so, but the movie itself is immensely entertaining. The story is great, the characters are endearing and the animation is beautiful.

I have a pretty high opinion of Pixar right about now.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
RandomEngy on

• Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    I have a consistently high opinion of Brad Bird. Edna Mode was one of the funniest movie characters I've ever seen.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have a consistently high opinion of Brad Bird. Edna Mode was one of the funniest movie characters I've ever seen.

She reminded me so very much of my Sophmore year design prof that it was scary. I loved having her for a teacher, though, so it wasn't in a bad way.

moniker on
  • DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    One of the few people on RT who gave it a rotten review didn't like any of his other movies

said they were emotionally dead

The Incredibles and the Iron Giant

The Iron fucking Giant

It only increased my anticipation to see this movie.

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I want to see this desperately.

However, I despise small children.

The current plan is to buy it on DVD and/or find a theatre open past midnight.

yalborap on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Drag wrote: »
    One of the few people on RT who gave it a rotten review didn't like any of his other movies

The Iron fucking Giant

Iron Giant and old Peanuts movies (shut up, it's a childhood thing) are the only animated movies that can make me tear up.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Drag wrote: »

The Iron fucking Giant

...wow, I'm guessing he meant that he was emotionally dead. I really can't think of a Pixar movie that doesn't have universal appeal to kids and adults. I'm sure there's one or two of them out there, but I just can't come up with them. This looks like it's going to continue the track record.

moniker on
  • Mobile-DMobile-D Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've seen it twice now, and it is by far my favorite of Pixars, minus the Incredibles. Really, though, the only reason the Incredibles ranks so highly in my mind is because it had so much comic-book action in it.

Ratatouille, though, man. So completely different from the posters and such.

Mobile-D on
  • SoonerManSoonerMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, the only Pixar movie I don't like watching is Toy Story 2. I loved the first one, but the second focused too much on the whole, "Woody's Round-Up" thing. It was a big plot point but after a while I was just like, "Common.." then I went ahead and took a sneak to watch Pokemon again. First one captivated me, though.

Pixars other movies are just... so awesome. I really think if they were on their own, instead of coupled with Disney, they'd put just as great movies out and maybe some that delved into deeper topics. Seeing this today with some friends.

SoonerMan on
    Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma~! O-K-U!
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The only Pixar movie that I don't really like was Monsters Inc. The reason I didn't like it? I wasn't four. That movie just really doesn't have much for older audience members, unlike the Toy Story movies or The Incredibles.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited June 2007
    The only Pixar movie that I don't really like was Monsters Inc. The reason I didn't like it? I wasn't four. That movie just really doesn't have much for older audience members, unlike the Toy Story movies or The Incredibles.

I personally found Monsters Inc. to be quite funny.

yalborap on
  • aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I love every Pixar. I like Toy Story 1 a little less than the rest, and I think Finding Nemo is majorly over-rated but still cool. Monster's Inc was hilarious and the Incredbiles, man, thats the fucking shit right there. So awesome!

aquabat on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    aquabat wrote: »
    I love every Pixar. I like Toy Story 1 a little less than the rest, and I think Finding Nemo is majorly over-rated but still cool. Monster's Inc was hilarious and the Incredbiles, man, thats the fucking shit right there. So awesome!

Well sir, get ready for Toy Story 3 and the Incredibled 2!

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I wish Disney still invested money in slick 2d films. I guess The Emperor's New Groove was the end of an era.

And I got to see Destino for the first time on a cruise. They were auctioning pictures of Walt Disney and Salvador Dali hanging out as they worked on it.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I was a tad worried Disney would fuck this thing up. Good to hear it apparently doesn't suck

nexuscrawler on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Cantido wrote: »
    I wish Disney still invested money in slick 2d films. I guess The Emperor's New Groove was the end of an era.

And I got to see Destino for the first time on a cruise. They were auctioning pictures of Walt Disney and Salvador Dali hanging out as they worked on it.

They're making a new 2d film, I believe. One of the old school "Princess, prince, evil witch, talking animals, and musical numbers" things.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »

They're making a new 2d film, I believe. One of the old school "Princess, prince, evil witch, talking animals, and musical numbers" things.

The still make them but they're straight to video sequels for the most part

nexuscrawler on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    No, I mean a brand new in-theater deal.

Something about Louisiana and voodoo, I think.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I know. And they should FIX IT! :x

Did anyone else see Destino?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

It was announced recently that there won't be any more of those straight-to-DVD sequels.

Also, this movie was really great. It may be my favorite Pixar flick now.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I knew there was something I forgot to do today.

Oh well. Maybe I'll just wait til my next day off.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I saw this movie on an advanced screening the 16th, and it was so awesome. Most definitely my new favorite Pixar movie.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Just saw this. Pixar has got to give me whatever it is they have over there. They've got creativity beyond imagination. This is the fourth straight Pixar movie which has blown away my expectations (Finding Nemo, Incredibles, Cars, and now this). I really liked it. And on a technical note this was outstanding. Especially the photo realistic fur on the rats. Highly recommend it to anyone going to see it.

xraydog on
  • Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well I'm glad it didn't end up sucking, the last CG film I enjoyed was Flushed Away. I'll definitely try and catch this, it may just wash away the lingering dissapointmen that was Shrek 3.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • urbmanurbman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    In all honesty I think the incredibles is my lest favorite Pixar movie. But i pretty much loved all the others.

urbman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007
    Holy crap. You liked Cars more than the Incredibles?

aquabat on
    edited July 2007

Well, I mean, if you hate comic books I could see that happening....

yalborap on
    edited July 2007
    yalborap wrote: »

Hated comic books and life itself

aquabat on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

or if he liked that one guy from Blue Collar Comedy.

Couscous on
    edited July 2007

Hated comic books and life itself

I thought that last part was obvious. You can't love life if you hate a Pixar movie.

yalborap on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    So Ray Romano didn't fuck it up?

I swear I always have a hard time bringing myself to see a Pixar movie because the subject matter never interests me (Toys, lost fish kid, nascar, suburbanites with superpowers, cooks), plus I know that they're marketed to kids, but I always end up enjoying them.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It was Lou Romano, not Ray "I can make a wooly mammoth sound overly nasal" Romano. They did manage to sneak Brad Garrett in there, though, playing a very.... uncharacteristic voice.

It was pretty damned good... I actually, literally choked up at the end when
    the critic takes his first bite and has the flashback, and later when he's ordering again.

Just... wow.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • urbmanurbman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Let me make my self more clear, Incredibles is my one of my lest favorite pixar movies, it just seemed to generic, like it seemed to be a cg comic more than a movie, plus it just screamed fantastic 4 if you look at their powers.

Cars was funny, thats all i got for that movie. plus i watched it with a girl i liked so my view of it was kinda tainted.

urbman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This was a fantastic movie.

Zoolander on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So I'm going to Disneyland in two weeks.

I should see it there, huh?

Ultimate Experience?

Incenjucar on
  • StoverStover Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

the critic takes his first bite and has the flashback, and later when he's ordering again.

Just... wow.

It took me by surprise.

I also think its very telling about me that my first reaction was:
    The rats dropped LSD in the food.

Stover on
    outoftheloop.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Stover wrote: »

Just... wow.

It took me by surprise.

I also think its very telling about me that my first reaction was:
    The rats dropped LSD in the food.

:lol:
    Fan of Futurama? The secret ingredient was just normal water laced with LSD!

Couscous on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just want to point out that John Lasseter is my personal hero. I may have given up on ever animating, but I still love him to death. And him being in charge of Disney Animation (ALL of it) is possibly the best thing the company ever did.

Now, Ratatouille.

I think my favorite is still Finding Nemo, but this comes in a close 2nd or 3rd, in terms of Pixar films. I knew it would be great though because it has Patton Oswalt.

Interruption here. If you don't know Patton aside from this movie, you need to go buy his comedy albums right fucking now. The man is hilarity incarnate.

NOW!

Where was I. Oh yes. I totally agree about the scene with the food critic. Absolutely brilliant.

And I don't care if anyone laughs at me, but the opening trailer for Wall-E? I get all choked up when I watch it and I don't know why.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    During the scene where Remy gets separated from the pack, Vyolynce had this to say:

"Pixar: Come and see our water!"

I responded with:

"Our water is so realistic, that we were asked to cartoon it up! Because it looked too real."

Seriously, that is some of the most realistic water I have ever seen in a CGI movie. I will be snatching up the DVD in the near future.

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
    edited July 2007
    Tigress wrote: »
    During the scene where Remy gets separated from the pack, Vyolynce had this to say:

"Pixar: Come and see our water!"

I responded with:

"Our water is so realistic, that we were asked to cartoon it up! Because it looked too real."

Seriously, that is some of the most realistic water I have ever seen in a CGI movie. I will be snatching up the DVD in the near future.

I saw a note somewhere from Pixar that the sewer scene was about 12 times as complicated as the scene inside the whale in Finding Nemo (which was the trickiest in that movie).

MuddBudd on
    edited July 2007
    Oh. I almost forgot.

Jeanine Garafalo was AMAZING in this. If I hadn't seen her name in the credits to confirm it, I wouldn't have believed it was her. She sounded completely different. Really, all the voice acting in this was top-notch, as usual for Pixar. (Emil is one of the animators btw)

MuddBudd on