As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Is this laptop good for it's worth?

PouchPouch Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Games and Technology
http://www.hhgregg.com/acer-laptop-pc-with-intel-core-i3-2310m-processor/item/AS5750-6636

Is this a nice laptop for the amount of money I'm spending on it?
I want this laptop to run Runescape and Maplestory, the two games I will be playing most on this laptop.

Pouch on

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Have no idea, but you might get a better response here:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/categories/moes-stupid-technology-tavern

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    More than enough for the games you're asking about. Though you can probably find a bit more value for your money.

• PouchPouch Registered User regular
    bump

• JohnnyRock30JohnnyRock30 Registered User new member
    I would really suggest an i5 and 6GB for any kind of gaming. And honestly do not expect to get really great performance out of games like SWTOR, Skyrim, BF3.....

• FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
    I would really suggest an i5 and 6GB for any kind of gaming. And honestly do not expect to get really great performance out of games like SWTOR, Skyrim, BF3.....
    http://www.hhgregg.com/toshiba-satellite-laptop-with-intel-core-i5-2430m-processor/item/L755-S5367
    Would this be better?
    I mean, it's like $300.00 more, but my family works at HHGregg, so we can get a family deal.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Still has a bad video card. You don't want one that says "Intel Graphics" if you want to play gaming. However if you're only looking to play those two games then you'll be fine with the original. The problems is if you want to do more than that in the future.

urahonky wrote:
    Still has a bad video card. You don't want one that says "Intel Graphics" if you want to play gaming. However if you're only looking to play those two games then you'll be fine with the original. The problems is if you want to do more than that in the future.
    Do you mind finding one for me?
    Preferably at HHGregg.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I'll save everyone some time. Unless you want to spend $1500 or more, you're not going to find a laptop that's capable of playing graphically intense games.

For Runescape and Maplestory, you're good with pretty much whatever, but if you want something to play games in the future, you're looking at a lot more cash. In general, you're paying several hundred dollars more for a laptop than a PC if you want to play modern(ish) games on it.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    Figgy's right. You'll blow your budget real quick if you go for a gaming laptop. Your best bet is to get a decent one that will play the games you want, and then buy/build a desktop in the future. It's the nature of laptops.

Pouch wrote:
    urahonky wrote:
    Do you mind finding one for me?
    Preferably at HHGregg.
    Yeah, I have a gaming rig back at home, but I want something so that I can play MMOs and not miss any updates or events.
    So, would the first laptop be the best for what games I want to play? (Maplestory, Runescape.)
    Or would the second laptop be the best?

Figgy wrote:
    I'll save everyone some time. Unless you want to spend $1500 or more, you're not going to find a laptop that's capable of playing graphically intense games.

For Runescape and Maplestory, you're good with pretty much whatever, but if you want something to play games in the future, you're looking at a lot more cash. In general, you're paying several hundred dollars more for a laptop than a PC if you want to play modern(ish) games on it.
    Yeah, I have a gaming rig back at home, but I want something so that I can play MMOs and not miss any updates or events.
    So, would the first laptop be the best for what games I want to play? (Maplestory, Runescape.)
    Or would the second laptop be the best?

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote:

This is incorrect. I paid 650 for my laptop, and its a quad core AMD, and an AMD 5670 1gb dedicate card. It runs games like Space Marine on high settings no problem at 34 or so FPS. Thats more than acceptable performance for a laptop of that price. (I game mainly on my PC though.)

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    For a cheap laptop that can play games ideally you'd want a a computer with AMD's llano chips. Their CPUs are slower than Intel's but the built in graphics are much better and that's whats important for gaming.

I didn't see the ideal setup at hhg, but what you are looking for is something like this with a better chip.

Something like this might be suitable. You could easily find that a good deal elsewhere will beat a discount at hhgregg. Maybe keep an eye on slickdeals for a while.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    Figgy wrote:

This is incorrect. I paid 650 for my laptop, and its a quad core AMD, and an AMD 5670 1gb dedicate card. It runs games like Space Marine on high settings no problem at 34 or so FPS. Thats more than acceptable performance for a laptop of that price. (I game mainly on my PC though.)

Where in the world did you get such a laptop?

• GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    The HHGregg laptop selection looks pretty poor from a gaming standpoint - not a single dedicated graphics card in the bunch at your price point.

Some recommendations from Newegg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220796
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214495

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    urahonky wrote:
    Figgy wrote:

I almost bought that laptop direct from hp with coupon this summer but decided to wait for AMDs next gen of CPU/APU/WhateverU. That was about the right price. Add $100 for a 1080p screen.

Anyway, just noticed this deal on slickdeals and thought the OP might like it because it's cheap and will outdo all those intel graphics jobs he was looking at as far as gaming goes. One thing to keep in mind is that truly cheap laptops often have terrible screens. But then again, lower rez screens are easier for laptop GPU to handle. Pick your poison.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    urahonky wrote:
    Figgy wrote:

Not hard to find if you shop around

I have an HP DV6 (quad core A8, radeon 6750 crossfired with radeon 6620g) that I got for $650 at best buy on special in August, and it runs everything pretty well outside of SWTOR with shadows on because it inexplicably disables crossfire (shadows off, runs fine even on high. BF3 hits it the hardest (someone else's video), but if you lower the shadows and post processing to minimum it picks way up.

Should be noted: I am running the processor overclocked so it's always 2.4 while plugged in, temps never crest above 70 in prime95 because it's supposed to run at 2.4 at 100% load, but it doesn't sometimes because HP is stupid

override367 on
    bump