As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SW:TOR] Tanks like spanking.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    Joshmvii wrote:
    Opportune works after a non talented charge because they're considered immobilized for 2 seconds. Pommel I think works after you force sweep, because the "knocked senseless" thing considers them incapacitated, but I do believe that's only on standards. Neither is on my bar, because especially with the CDs, I just don't give a shit. I have sundering, guardian slash, blade storm, force sweep, stasis, push, and hilt strike that all hit hard enough that things explode as soon as I charge in anyway.

They are useful attacks for solo players to wipe out strong or regular enemies off the jump without using another ability. Especially true when you do the jedi knight chapter 2 finale.

Also I recall you mostly play with a sage?

I do typically group with my wife, but when I post these kinds of things, I'm also doing it from the POV of when I solo my class quests with only a companion. Using Kira, everything explodes so fast even without using those two attacks I don't even think about them. I get why others use them, and honestly if I soloed 100% of the time I would too just because they're such high damage, so there is that.

I've noticed since I got to do more low 40's content solo, opportune strike and pommel can really help out. Especially in areas with wandering strong enemies that like to say hi.

As a solo player they are invaluable, and as a pseudo rp'r seeing my hulking black jedi do a super bitch slap to kill a sith is worth the bar position.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    On Shadow/Assassin tanking: better to level up in that tree, or as DPS and respec later?

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    Joshmvii wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    Joshmvii wrote:
    Opportune works after a non talented charge because they're considered immobilized for 2 seconds. Pommel I think works after you force sweep, because the "knocked senseless" thing considers them incapacitated, but I do believe that's only on standards. Neither is on my bar, because especially with the CDs, I just don't give a shit. I have sundering, guardian slash, blade storm, force sweep, stasis, push, and hilt strike that all hit hard enough that things explode as soon as I charge in anyway.

They are useful attacks for solo players to wipe out strong or regular enemies off the jump without using another ability. Especially true when you do the jedi knight chapter 2 finale.

Also I recall you mostly play with a sage?

I do typically group with my wife, but when I post these kinds of things, I'm also doing it from the POV of when I solo my class quests with only a companion. Using Kira, everything explodes so fast even without using those two attacks I don't even think about them. I get why others use them, and honestly if I soloed 100% of the time I would too just because they're such high damage, so there is that.

I've noticed since I got to do more low 40's content solo, opportune strike and pommel can really help out. Especially in areas with wandering strong enemies that like to say hi.

As a solo player they are invaluable, and as a pseudo rp'r seeing my hulking black jedi do a super bitch slap to kill a sith is worth the bar position.

Yeah, as a primarily solo player, Pommel Strike is invaluable. I use it a lot. I need to start using our version of Opportune (Savage Kick) more often. I skipped the stun on Force Leap talent, but I may pick it up at 41.

This is my build at 40: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101fMGcubbokZhM.1

Ignore the fact that I haven't taken Shield Spec yet, I will. I just don't use my shield while leveling, so I am saving it until closer to 50.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    I like the stun on charge, but its up to you playwise, I feel josh and I have made our cases for it either way.

Funny that every tanker I've seen tends to ignore the far right tree over the superior picks up in the middle. Just can't ignore the strength, extra sunder stack, force sweep damage, and accuracy increase.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote:
    I like the stun on charge, but its up to you playwise, I feel josh and I have made our cases for it either way.

Funny that every tanker I've seen tends to ignore the far right tree over the superior picks up in the middle. Just can't ignore the strength, extra sunder stack, force sweep damage, and accuracy increase.

I've found for most classes, the far right "shared" tree is very PvP-relevant, but not real useful for PvE. At least for the Warrior/Knight that is true.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    KiTA wrote:
    So this apparently came out while I'm on vacation. Whoops. I was thinking about going Sith Assassin for my main, since I typically play tanks (and apparently there are jack and crap for tanks on my server). D,oes that hold up the whole way through as a tank, or should I be looking towards Sith Juggernaught or Powertech? Or are they all balanced fairly well?

All tanks can supposedly tank all things tankable when talented and geared properly. Whether that actually holds up in the face of wowtardation we'll see. I know that Echo runs a shadow (the republic equivelent) and I think his issue was lack of variety in tanking abilities. Shadows though can stealth which no other tank gets.

Yeah, Wowtardation is my major worry. "You didn't go Juggernaught? They're the only real tank, stupid noob, go respec DPS, and we might be able to use you, but you should have went Bounty Hunter, idiot."

I have a knack for picking classes that I enjoy but parties think are red headed stepchildren, heh.

edited December 2011
    KiTA wrote:
    Yeah, Wowtardation is my major worry. "You didn't go Juggernaught? They're the only real tank, stupid noob, go respec DPS, and we might be able to use you, but you should have went Bounty Hunter, idiot."

I have a knack for picking classes that I enjoy but parties think are red headed stepchildren, heh.

Exactly, and I have a similar issue. I mainly chose guardian over shadow because of luke and obi won (both used one blade, and the guardian tank stance is the style of light saber combat Obi used after episode 1 yes I'm a dork), but I plan on going shadow alt eventually because double bladed sabers look awesome.

We really can't tell where the tanks will shake out to be perfectly honest. Most people in anecdotal evidence tend to be overall pretty nice to someone who's trying so there's that. I will say this. Knights get their first true dps companion faster than sages, but the first shadow companion does have a dps stance.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    15% damage increase is not worth the points I'd lose honestly. Remains to be seen, but the charge stun is useful on ranged elites or ranged enemies in general because it interrupts casts and channeled abilities.

And I like having guarenteed bubble after a leap, saved me a few times already.

I feel as somebody who doesn't solo all the time, I can't speak to this that well, but I have a hard time imagining being defense specced and having any trouble at all. I mean, when I solo my class quests I rarely go under 70% health and that's with Kira out, not the healer companion. The charge stun actually isn't what interrupts casts when you use it, force leap just does that anyway. The only benefit of the stun is that they don't get to do anything for 2 seconds(but it's actually applied as soon as you leap not when you land, so you miss out on part of the stun anyway).

As for the guaranteed bubble, I've found the amount of damage it absorbs is so minimal I can't imagine relying on it for anything. Like at level 40 it seems to absorb maybe 300 damage or so based on how enemies usually hit me once and then it's gone.

I also think the fact that I run every flashpoint and am fully geared in disgusting orange gear fully modded with 38 and 40+ mods makes a difference too, because if I recall, you said you don't really do flashpoints? That's probably somewhat of a factor in the difficulty of soloing/class quests.

15% damage is definitely not trivial on hilt strike, force sweep, and to a lesser extent cyclone though. Especially once you get the 30% damage increase on sweep from the vig tree, sweep becomes a very hard hitter. Definitely not telling you how you should spec, I just like discussing these things, and the reasons I like going my way, and I appreciate you doing the same. =D

John is a total dick who's not respecting my opinions!!!!

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited December 2011
    I rarely run FP's, but all but two of my pieces are orange with maxed upgrades...the way the gear system in this game works, once most of your gear is orange, you don't really have to step foot in an FP again until level 50.

And Blade Barrier/Sonic Barrier is awesome, I am not even sure how you can say otherwise. It absorbs more than 300 damage, way more. At the very least, it eats a hit or two from an elite and I can throw it up ever 12s.

GnomeTank on
    Yeah I have pretty solid orange specced gear. The only story quest I've struggled against really was the end of chapter 2, and really it was partially being stupid, and partially trash that was just assholish. It wasn't even the boss as I had no issue with that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    GnomeTank wrote:
    Preacher wrote:

I've found for most classes, the far right "shared" tree is very PvP-relevant, but not real useful for PvE. At least for the Warrior/Knight that is true.

In theory you could give up 6% strength and 3% accuracy and go with this build that gives you lower CD on master strike, more crit, and a 10% max health heal every 2 minutes, but I never would because the master strike/crit is not going to give you nearly as much threat as the 6% str/3% accuracy, and I use Resolute to break snares/stuns in PvE and so may waste it when I had full health anyway, on top of the fact that health pools aren't big enough to make it a great heal. It's just something I could see somebody trying. Hell, you could even drop blade barrier since the absorb is so small right now and use those 2 points to drop the resolute CD to 90 seconds for a faster heal in this build. Again, I'm not going to do it, but it would be an option.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500dMGcubrouRZhZGb.1

In general, the PvP tree for Guardian/Sentinel seems to be mainly focused on mobility and force sweep. Speed boost after leaps, 2nd hostile leap, guaranteed crits on sweep, etc. You leap into a group of enemies and throw down on all their butts with powerful aoe sweeps. In fact, at some point I will probably try it, because after you use stasis/singularity to build up your next sweep to do 50% more damage on top of all the other damage talents for it, then you leap and make it a guaranteed crit, and you have the talent that increases critical damage by 30%, I'm pretty sure force sweep would be like a mack truck of hell against a huge pack of enemies. And it only has like a 10.5 second CD if you're specced for that.

GnomeTank wrote:
    I rarely run FP's, but all but two of my pieces are orange with maxed upgrades...the way the gear system in this game works, once most of your gear is orange, you don't really have to step foot in an FP again until level 50.

And Blade Barrier/Sonic Barrier is awesome, I am not even sure how you can say otherwise. It absorbs more than 300 damage, way more. At the very least, it eats a hit or two from an elite and I can throw it up ever 12s.

Without a combat log this is all just talk, but I've put away my companion, let a standard enemy hit me to see how much they're doing on average, then stormed and let the same enemy eat the shield to see how much it absorbs, and it wasn't much. You might be noticing an elite swinging on you and you're defending so the shield is not getting eaten for a couple attacks, but I'm not sure if the shield is actually eating two hits from one. As I said though, until we have a combat log I don't think there's a way to know. Maybe it scales with something well.

And the reason I do all FPs is for the story and fun, but what I really meant was that you always have great gear if you do FPs without every buying or crafting anything. As in, every time I run a new FP I am getting oranges that already come with mods that are great, so I never have to buy any mods or craft them. Point taken though, even people who don't do them can still keep their gear current via credits and personal crafting, or planet commendations and such.

I was almost thinking of trying a vigilance build to see how the damage is with a burning light saber. But the primary reason I don't want to? It would totaly make me have to redo all my damn buttons again! And I think I finally got them where I want them!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I need to level my Powertech just so this thread has some diversity :P

• shelakshelak Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    My joy for biochem is completely dead. I can't get medical supplies because the missions do not share my character alignment. I'm force to zone in and out till i get the missions i need so i can get mats to craft.

For example, i need medical supplies grade 4 and i get a full window of Ls missions giving me gifts and Ds missions with supplies.
    Sometimes, i have all Ds missions with only one Ls or vice versa.

Slicing or investigation should be the ones giving Ls or Ds points on missions at least that way it doesn't restrict crafting so much.

shelak on
    edited December 2011
    Preacher wrote:
    I was almost thinking of trying a vigilance build to see how the damage is with a burning light saber. But the primary reason I don't want to? It would totaly make me have to redo all my damn buttons again! And I think I finally got them where I want them!

Same here. I want to try one, but I think for now I'm just going to keep holding out for dual spec. It'll probably be a long ass time before it's in though, so I probably will try it at some point. Most likely if i'm 50 and one of my other tank friends wants to tank hard mode FPs or something, I'll go dps and throw down for a while. Sometimes it's really beneficial to be a left brained freak, because I already know how to dps as vig without ever actually doing it.

Joshmvii on
    Bobble wrote:
    I need to level my Powertech just so this thread has some diversity :P

Hah! Eventually I'm going to have a Powertech/Assassin tank more than likely, when I make my Empire alts, so then I'll have get in on those discussions. =P

Joshmvii wrote:
    Same here. I want to try one, but I think for now I'm just going to keep holding out for dual spec. It'll probably be a long ass time before it's in though, so I probably will try it at some point. Most likely if i'm 50 and one of my other tank friends wants to tank hard mode FPs or something, I'll go dps and throw down for a while. Sometimes it's really beneficial to be a left brained freak, because I already know how to dps as vig without ever actually doing it.

Yeah on one hand I'd like dual spec, but on the other hand knowing what that did to classes that can heal in WoW and how it utterly fucked them getting groups for dps I'm kind of hesitant to see it added (hell it screwed me as a tank class when I wasn't the tank flavor of the month).

I was just thinking of doing veng now to see if the dps increase would help me more with leveling now that I have a better companion selection.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Houn wrote:
    On Shadow/Assassin tanking: better to level up in that tree, or as DPS and respec later?

It's fine either way. I'm at 42 now and haven't had any issues, in fact I've been able to solo a lot of quests that I otherwise wouldn't be able to.

Shadow tanking isn't bad, but I don't have any other class to compare it to. It's essentially Kinetic Ward whenever it goes down, then we have two CD tanking abilities: Deflection 100% range/melee deflect and Resistance 100% force/tech resist. Taunts: Mind Control (single target), Force Pull (single target), Mass Mind Control (AoE). The rotation is pretty hectic though, two debuffs (Slow Time: 5% dmg debuff, Force Breach: 5% ACC debuff) you need to keep up in addition to your own buff, and two of our go to abilities rely on a proc (Double Strike until Particle Acceleration -> Project -> Harnessing Shadows 1 stack -> Repeat until 3 Harnessing Shadows stack -> Telekinetic Throw -> Repeat; all while you have to keep up the de/buffs, Mind Snap, tank CD and force regen/GCD).

Invisible on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Just put Khem Val/Republic Dork to the DPS stance and you'll be fine.

YL9WnCY.png
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    So Cademimu as a Guardian? So much fun It takes place in a city-planet. Naturally there are railings. I pushed a half-dozen Elites to their deaths and it was glorious.

Also, just got Cyclone Slash and I notice it has no cooldown? Welp, you just replaced Slash on my bar! Don't really care that it does about 100 less damage if it means I have a non-cooldown cone attack that costs the same amount of focus.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Cyclone Slash also has a cool animation.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I wonder if I should bind Challenging Call to my mouse. I tried binding Force Leap but there's a slight delay with the mouse I'm using which messes me up. But since Challenging Call isn't as important an ability I wonder if it might work fine with said delay.

Characters
    Aegis wrote:
    So Cademimu as a Guardian? So much fun It takes place in a city-planet. Naturally there are railings. I pushed a half-dozen Elites to their deaths and it was glorious.

Also, just got Cyclone Slash and I notice it has no cooldown? Welp, you just replaced Slash on my bar! Don't really care that it does about 100 less damage if it means I have a non-cooldown cone attack that costs the same amount of focus.

FYI, you won't have to put Slash back on your bar, but do keep in mind Guardian slash at 40 basically replaces Slash as a single target attack, so you might want to think about having that go where your slash was in terms of hotkey, then you also keep cyclone slash as the focus dump(though it's rarely needed post 40 and you only use cyclone on AoE as you'd expect).

• Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote:
    Aegis wrote:

FYI, you won't have to put Slash back on your bar, but do keep in mind Guardian slash at 40 basically replaces Slash as a single target attack, so you might want to think about having that go where your slash was in terms of hotkey, then you also keep cyclone slash as the focus dump(though it's rarely needed post 40 and you only use cyclone on AoE as you'd expect).

No... you still need Slash. Guardian Slash is on a 15 sec cooldown.

edited December 2011
    Incorrect. Re-read what I said. I use cyclone slash as a focus dump in place of slash, but it's very rarely needed on single targets. This is not me being anecdotal, I play a high level Guardian.

Here are the list of things I will hit before I would ever use slash:

Sundering Strike
    Guardian Slash
    Riposte
    Blade Storm
    Hilt Strike
    Dispatch (below 20%)
    Master Strike
    Force Stasis
    Force Push

Then and only then would I hit a focus dump, and only if I had none of the above off CD, and only if I had 6 or 7 focus because I need to pool for the next one of those higher priority abilities. Then is where I would hit Slash. Because this situation will basically never happen, I will hit Cyclone Slash instead in that situation, because it doesn't even hit that much weaker, and I already have 25 abilities keybound and in constant use.

Joshmvii on
    Joshmvii wrote:
    Aegis wrote:

Unsure yet as to whether I'm picking Guardian Slash up as it depends if I like the alternate Defense/Vigilance build or not.

Characters
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am worried about public perception of Assassin/Shadow tanks and getting left out of groups because of it, but I guess running around in the slave bikini isn't doing me any favors.

Already had a dude ask why the tank is naked.

YL9WnCY.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Did you explain to him that female armor rating goes up the more exposed skin there is?

Rorus Raz wrote:
    I am worried about public perception of Assassin/Shadow tanks and getting left out of groups because of it, but I guess running around in the slave bikini isn't doing me any favors.

Obviously if you're at the mercy of pugs, you can't fix stupid, but the saber staff tanks are definitely fine in practice. I've grouped with one of my guildmates and he does fine. He also gets to heal 9% of his own health every so often which is definitely rad as hell. Honestly, anybody who isn't a tank themselves and doesn't understand the mechanics of each one can just shut the fuck up about who can and can't tank.

Joshmvii wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:

Obviously if you're at the mercy of pugs, you can't fix stupid, but the saber staff tanks are definitely fine in practice. I've grouped with one of my guildmates and he does fine. He also gets to heal 9% of his own health every so often which is definitely rad as hell. Honestly, anybody who isn't a tank themselves and doesn't understand the mechanics of each one can just shut the fuck up about who can and can't tank.

I wish that's what would happen, but we all know from Wowtardation people who never play a class always suggest what that class can or can't do to do things better even when those things are not actually viable anythings. Its always hilarious to me because frequently these same "Just saying" idiots are playing a dps class as a face roller and making it harder on the tank constantly, and then in true projection worthy of psychiatric care blaming the person who's actually doing their thing.

We'll see how things shake out, but I wouldn't worry too much what the mouth breathing set thinks about your classes ability to do its stuff. Unless you're sith, because in that case thats your gen pop...

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Oh I know, but I always just played a Paladin tank in wow and let them know I would still tank better than they could regardless of my class. It just sucks for people who aren't in guilds and have to try to pug raids and FPs. =/

Joshmvii wrote:
    Oh I know, but I always just played a Paladin tank in wow and let them know I would still tank better than they could regardless of my class. It just sucks for people who aren't in guilds and have to try to pug raids and FPs. =/

Even in guilds unless they are all your friends you'll still have utter cock mongers. Things will settle down, I just hope Bioware keeps all tanks pretty even because blizzard never did and it only aided the idiots arguments.

As it is I like my guardian so far, though any enemy with a dot can suck my taint! Screw you rakawhateverthehell you are on belsavis.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Preacher wrote:
    As it is I like my guardian so far, though any enemy with a dot can suck my taint! Screw you rakawhateverthehell you are on belsavis.

Shadows get a "fuck off any and all dots and by the way now I'm immune to tech/force abilities for five seconds" skill.

Echo wrote:
    Preacher wrote:

Shadows get a "fuck off any and all dots and by the way now I'm immune to tech/force abilities for five seconds" skill.

Yeah I noticed that your guys tanking abilities make you 100% damage immune, where guardian ones just increase our ability to deflect them and a 40% overral reduction.

I guess its the price we pay for being able to jump at our targets... IN YOUR FACE SHADOWS!!! Though our shadow companion also gets a charge, so double in your face.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote:
    I guess its the price we pay for being able to jump at our targets... IN YOUR FACE SHADOWS!!! Though our shadow companion also gets a charge, so double in your face.

I'm sorry, you kiddies with the glowbats are difficult to hear over the sound of my flamethrower.

Bobble wrote:
    Preacher wrote:

I'm sorry, you kiddies with the glowbats are difficult to hear over the sound of my flamethrower.

Yeah those flame throwers worked great for jango and boba who were dealt with so easily the jedi that killed them didn't even note doing so.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote:
    Bobble wrote:
    Preacher wrote:

Yeah those flame throwers worked great for jango and boba who were dealt with so easily the jedi that killed them didn't even note doing so.

Please, those stiffs couldn't even throw a decent, jetpack-augmented uppercut. Me? I'm throwin' haymakers all day.

Bobble wrote:
    Please, those stiffs couldn't even throw a decent, jetpack-augmented uppercut. Me? I'm throwin' haymakers all day.

God I hate npc's that do that jumping m. bison garbage. Not as bad as a force choke, but still obnoxious.

pleasepaypreacher.net