As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XBOX HDD Died, What Now?

Continental_OpContinental_Op Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, title says it all. My old model Elite XBox 360 120GB HDD just died today after working with Microsoft support for a couple hours to diagnose the issue. I've lost all my saves for all my games and I've been playing this thing since launch (I mean day 1 launch), technically it's my second console, but I transferred all my saves to the new HDD.

So my question is: what do I do now? I can order a replacement from Microsoft for $120.00 or buy a replacement/upgrade through Amazon from a couple different places (not sure if brick and mortar places still might carry any). I've got an 8GB USB drive that we recovered my profile to and I can use, but I still also have my old, launch 20GB HDD I could slap in and then there is this cloud saved game thing Microsoft now has. The Elite I'm using was purchased last May/June, right before the redesigned consoles came out, I'm not sure what it's internals are.

So H&A What do I do? I want to play Skyrim post-haste, should I do it on the Cloud? My USB? or slap the old HDD in there? Do I even bother ordering a replacement?

Edit: What do I do for today? Can I just play it with the USB or Cloud save and then move it when I replace the HDD?

XBL - TeenageHead
Continental_Op on

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    You can get a new 120gig HD for significantly less than $120 at best buy or whatever B&M you have access to, so I would not order one at that price. Assuming you need a new drive anyway, might as well go buy one rather than work on a thumb or a temporary HD or something.

Depending on what actually failed you might be able to recover your data, either by sending it to MS (which might make you want to buy from them I guess, but it'd probably be a wait) and paying them or by cracking open the drives and doing the transfer manually

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Continental_OpContinental_Op Registered User regular
    Depending on what actually failed you might be able to recover your data, either by sending it to MS (which might make you want to buy from them I guess, but it'd probably be a wait) and paying them or by cracking open the drives and doing the transfer manually

Yeah, I'm not sure what went wrong, but it shows up under storage devices it's just that all the saves are now gone. Any DLC and bigger update-type things are still there. And I'm not savvy enough to crack anything open and try and get anything from it.

XBL - TeenageHead