As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Random Restarts

ApolloTreatingYouApolloTreatingYou __BANNED USERS regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
For two weeks now I have been having random restarts with seemingly no cause. I got a new MB two weeks ago because of a power surge. Then because of restarts I thought the Power supply was bad too. So I bought a new one. Same problem persists. Any suggestions?

no you cannot have a sig that size. especially with compression that crappy.
ApolloTreatingYou on

• Options
    AlwaysAngryGuyAlwaysAngryGuy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Probably a heat issue due to the CPU heatsink not being mounted right on the new motherboard. How did you mount it?

AlwaysAngryGuy on
  • Options
    Steve BennettSteve Bennett Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Overheating GPU can actually cause the problem too, but its usually CPU.

Steve Bennett on
  • Options
    Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is your CPU fan and heat sink dusty and dirty? Dusty fan blades don't move air very well, and dust will act a bit like an insulator on a heat sink.

Peter Principle on
    "A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_
  • Options
    pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    perhaps windows is bluescreening and auto-rebooting. is that feature turned off?

pacbowl on
    steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
  • Options
    trixtahtrixtah Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Also Check your event manager and get back to us. It could be a bunch of things--psu, gpu, sound card, or drivers

trixtah on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    pacbowl wrote: »
    perhaps windows is bluescreening and auto-rebooting. is that feature turned off?

This is the likeliest cause.

Go to System in the Control Panel.

Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery select the Settings button. Underneath where it says System Failure untick Automatically Restart.

Now see if you have random reboots, if it bluescreens I suggest you write down what the bluescreen says (or take a photo) and report back here.

Other possible causes are a mobo that's dying or a faulty psu. I once had a mobo that automatically rebooted caused by the apm/acpi stuff, so I simply disabled it in the bios.. problem solved.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Usually its either windows bluescreening or a power API setting in bios.

MrIamMe on