As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PLEASE RSVP] 2012 PAX East D&D Fancy Dinner!

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I'd be fine with paying more, and in a lower-scale place I'd prefer to dress for the venue.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    So now you think you're better than us huh

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    I don't mind paying more. I like the idea of a "fancy dinner" since that is sort of a D&D thing.

I'll ask around a little more. I don't know if I'd recommend the North End since:

1) The restaurants are super-busy and they generally don't want groups hanging out after they finish
    2) The food is entirely "italian-american" and very much hit-or-miss.

Then again, I don't know the North End very well - we eat there maybe twice a year - so I might just be unaware of a hidden gem of a restaurant.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    gotcha. still plenty of time. if nothing else, and people are ok with slightly higher prices, marliave can still serve as a fallback.

i'll keep y'all updated and if we can't collectively come up with something else within the next month or so, we can go ahead with last year's venue.

• BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    I remember there being cool places on the Blackstone Block, but I think they may have been pubs.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    There are nice places in the North End, but it only ranges from Italian to Italian-American food and its usually one of a) extremely casual but good food b) crap like you're eating Italian in Utah c) high end, good food but significantly more expensive than the Marliave(I'd expect more like $5x).

The same guy who owns the Marliave owns the Grotto, where my sister used to be the manager. It wasn't big enough for us last year IIRC so if we get a similar size it probably won't work.

I'll try to think of some other places. I don't mind a more expensive meal either but I know a lot of people coming up are still students or otherwise don't have a whole lot of income to dispose of when they're already spending to come to PAX

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    For that kind of money you could get like, three big ole crack rocks

• BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    All the really good places I know are in Cambridge or the suburbs. That place above Grendel's Den is really good, though, if you want to make the trip and send that kind of money.

my implicit thought- though, who knows, maybe people wouldn't mind cabbing it up- is that the restaurant ought to be reasonable walking distance from the bcec and from the downtown hotels. well, reasonable for asthmatic neckbeards... :)

if no one else cares about a long walk or a cab or the T then i know i don't

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    The convention center is fairly isolated so that might be tough. A reasonable cab ride seems more a normal standard (which still rules out burbs, and kinda rules out Cambridge)

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    well marliave to the bcec was what, 25 minutes? not bad at all.

• TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    If we plan accordingly and split cabs they wouldn't be that expensive. If we do decide to go to the Marliave or anywhere around it, arranging a few cabs may be necessary following the bar because the subway shuts down so early.

TomeWyrm on
    yeah that's fine. i mean, i am basically up for whatever- i am just trying to think of whatever considerations could make it cheaper for the people who were 'on the edge', as it were, last year.

if everyone is fine paying a few bucks to pile up in a cab then i suppose it could really be anywhere in the city.

does that open up the options a little more?

i guess i also have to talk to someone who is old and rich and can pull off the deposit/cc hold. i don't mind doing the phone calls and the emails and setting up the menu and figuring out times and rsvp's and all. but i definitely can't do the financial end (aside from paying for my own seat, i mean :D)

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    You guys might want to check out Trade which is right near south station. It's classy/hip (young professional hip, not
    Hipster) and the prices were reasonable last time I went. I can also recommend a few byob places around town if cost is a big issue (BYOB as in corking fee for your wine/hard liquor, not bring a keg).

EDIT: Also Les Zygomates and/or Sorriso may suit your needs. Both are near south station (the major public transportation hub near the convention center). Sorriso maybe too expensive, but Les Zygomates is right in the ballpark of 30 dollars for dinner.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Nichu I can put up some bucks if I have to, might be better to have a more local person do it

Here is Trade website: http://trade-boston.com/

Smaug6 wrote:
    You guys might want to check out Trade which is right near south station. It's classy/hip (young professional hip, not
    Hipster) and the prices were reasonable last time I went. I can also recommend a few byob places around town if cost is a big issue.

i don't think people mind the alcohol costs, really. worst comes to worst they could just vacate to a bar after dinner. i was mainly looking to get the food price down. but honestly, it seems like no one's complaining! so maybe it isn't as big a deal as i thought. i'll give trade a call, though, since it's closer to the bcec.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    people need to stop being poor imo.

Bootstraps, motherfuckers!

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    that means you're paying, right?

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    edited December 2011
    Ok!

So I've called around and after a few suggestions seemed unfeasible (either for distance/table service only/couldn't accommodate a party our size), it seems like two options are still feasible at the top.

The Marliave

482943045_2995998162.jpg

marliaveroute.jpg

pros:
    -we've been there and know it's good
    -it has good service and the bar is competent
    -it's the cheaper of the two, at a prix fixe 'starting at $42'

cons:
    -it's not as close
    -we have to sit with peasants

Trade

Trade_Interior_01.jpeg
    traderoute.jpg

pros:
    -it's closer to the con... a mile on the nose, doable even for the most asthmatic of nerds
    -we'd get our own private room
    -

cons:
    -prix fixe flat price of $55
    -there is less choice... appetizers are family style for each table so we'd probably want to seat vegetarians together, plus entrees are only 2 choices. Since courtesy suggests we go with the veg entree as one choice, that would mean we'd have to decide whether we want poultry/fish/beef as the other

---

What do y'all think?

Any better ideas or else should we put these two to the vote?

Organichu on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I vote Marliave and we close the place down again

boom

It's hard to say without knowing what the menu options actually are.

I'm still waiting for the Marliave to contact me but this is the menu for Trade:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EJ_CDMJUq-6FqoMMC0RJLjENsx6Ij5Y9Qx3rh4cvpVY/edit

It pains me to say it but the Marliave ... for now.

edited December 2011
    The Trade menu is severely lacking and unimpressive. Artic char? Seared half chicken? I'm not god damn Cesar Chavez over here, fasting over grapes

My opinion has hardened

Eddy on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Let's go to McDonalds and class the joint up with our fancy dress.

• TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote:
    I vote Marliave and we close the place down again

boom

:^:

Let's go to McDonalds and class the joint up with our fancy dress.
    That's what you do after prom if you aren't going to get laid that night.

Which is to say that's what I did after my prom, and I'll be damned if I'm going to relive that night.

Robos... I'll...

I'll be your huckleberry

edited December 2011
    Take me in your arms, make me feel like prom queen

Robos A Go Go on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Trade looks interesting but their menu isn't really grabbing me. Unfortunately I don't really know much around downtown - lately we've been sticking to Cambridge & Somerville. I know that there are a few other restaurants in Fort Point near drink, though I can't attest to their quality or anything. I guess I'm happy with the Marliave, though I wish I had another choice in my back pocket to try. If you need help with the deposit, let me know.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    either way i'll be bring another eddy-secret-family-recipe bottle of gin water

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Another vote for the Marliave, pending a menu thingum.

vRyue2p.png
    I'm asking around at Abigail's as to whether they can host between 20 and 40 nerds for an event. It's not much further than the Marliave, is on the red line (which is a little easier to get to from the convention center and much more reliable than the green line), and I've enjoyed them lately.

Wqdwp8l.png
    they do a cassoulet!?

intriguing

I had their cassoulet the other day. It was underwhelming. The sausage and confit were great, but the beans - which should be the centerpiece of the dish - were underseasoned and bland. Everything else I've had there has been great, though, and their bar staff is great.

Wqdwp8l.png
    well the place looks really nice

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Go to Citizens Public House. It's in the Fens area, but you have the option (with your group size) of getting a whole roast pig for your group. Oh, and they have many fine beers and whiskeys available.

Downtown is sort of... weird, as it's a lot of business-focused places and more casual after work places, or it's crap. Oh, or obscenely expensive (but delicious!).

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    I hope to make it to PAX East this year, and if I do I'd love to drink/class it up with you folks. Tuxedo and tophat okay? I'll see if I can swing a cane and monocle...

PwH4Ipj.jpg
    you're more than welcome! mostly we are doing suits and dresses i think but whatever makes you feel most beautiful :)

let me know when you can rsvp more firmly

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    What day would this be? I got my PAX ticket, and am attending solo so it would be neat to get to know more people.

steam_sig.png