As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

OMEGATHON! Duh Duh Duhn!!

ShadeShade Registered User regular
edited July 2006 in PAX Archive
so any news on it? The prize is usually told around now, and I would also like to know when they will start picking omeganauts?

Shade on

• ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    After last year's fiasco with Pictochat, they decided not to have an Omegathon this year. I really had to beg them to have PAX at all.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    :P

GeeCee on
  • superjoesuperjoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    ctishman wrote:
    After last year's fiasco with Pictochat, they decided not to have an Omegathon this year. I really had to beg them to have PAX at all.

If this is true, you should be hanged; for PAX is not PAX without the Omegathon.

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • doczerodoczero Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Bah, we know it's happening. Speculation on the final game?
    Atari? Midway? What were the greatest multiplayer standup arcaders of the mid 80's?

DocZero

doczero on
    =
    Where there is no love,
    Nothing is possible.
    =
    edited June 2006
    You know what would be awesome? If the Omegathon final was a 6-person game of Risk. It would be cutthroat, it would be boring to watch, and it would take four days.

In all seriousness, something like Tetris or a best-of-three Street Fighter II match would be cool, but Tetris might run a bit long, and SF is a bit of a jump from the pervious two O-thons. (10+ years skips past a lot of games; it seems like Mike and Jerry are trying to work from the old towards the new. Granted, I'm making a pattern from two examples.)

Speculate away!

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
    edited June 2006
    They can't do a game like Street Fighter 2, because the Final Omegathon Round is about all-around gaming skill and spectacle, not how well you memorize Chun-Li's helicopter kick combo.

I mean, what if someone like me got up there, and didn't know the first thing about SF2? Yeah, I know, take my gamer card away. Anyhow, the thing about the Omegathon Final Round is that it's a pick-up game whose necessary skills are so universal that they have become integrated into virtually every game we play today, be that the pure historic value of Pong or aiming and use of cover in Combat, it's something we can all relate to as video gamers of any age or genre.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    ctishman wrote:

The final even this year is Rock Paper Scissors and the prize is a slap in the face.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
    edited June 2006
    Man, I've got to win the Omegathon this year.

Me, standing before a crowd of thousands, being slapped in the face by Robert Khoo over and over and over again.

It's a dream come true.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    I wish there was a way to guarantee a spot or something. Other than coming in second the previous year.

:|

I just want a chance.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Ripple EffectRipple Effect Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    How much advance warning do we have to train if we get picked?

Ripple Effect on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006

About a month and a half, I believe.

Nevermind. It'll be less than a month, as the 'contestants' are chosen from the pre-registrants and that ends on the 1st of August. So...Less than a month.

Legacy on
    edited June 2006
    Legacy wrote:

I hope they don't pick me. I would have to move in with friends and practice every hour of my waking day and night. Do we get to know what kind of games we have to play or is it all a total mystery?

Ripple Effect on
    edited June 2006
    Legacy wrote:

I hope they don't pick me. I would have to move in with friends and practice every hour of my waking day and night. Do we get to know what kind of games we have to play or is it all a total mystery?

Read the edit. Less than a month.

And you'll know what you're playing other than the final game. I'm gonna place my bets on...

Diceland

Guitar Hero(maybe 2)
    Mario Kart DS(or Metroid Prime Hunters)

At least those. I'm not sure on the first console game and the PC game. And the final game...hmm. I dunno.

Legacy on
  • Gamedeals.caGamedeals.ca Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    The final even this year is Rock Paper Scissors and the prize is a slap in the face.

:lol:
    That made me spit out my drink. Was one of my favorite stories from last years partying.

Gamedeals.ca on
    GameDeals Video Games
    407 Columbia St. New Westminster (GVA)
    Just off Columbia Skytrain Station.
    http://www.gamedeals.ca
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    I'd love to participate, even though I know I wouldn't make it far. I suck at racing and fighting games. Still, it would be an experience just to be along for the ride.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I'd love to participate, even though I know I wouldn't make it far. I suck at racing and fighting games. Still, it would be an experience just to be along for the ride.

You have to look at it this way, your not always going against pro's in this omegathon. I'd have to say I would have a good chance of going all the way unless I get guitar heros or ddr ><

DDR and me don't get along. Yes, it would be worse then watching red D.

Viscountalpha on
    edited June 2006

You have to look at it this way, your not always going against pro's in this omegathon. I'd have to say I would have a good chance of going all the way unless I get guitar heros or ddr ><

DDR and me don't get along. Yes, it would be worse then watching red D.

He who must not be spoken of, eve ever again, may never have truly existed.

:-(

Because it's not all bunnies and lolly pops and candy cains up on that Covenant Ship now is it?

Ripple Effect on
  • degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum aka. casual_geek Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    i myself have no clue how diceland works. but every year i dream of becoming an omeganaut.

le sigh

degreesplatinum on
  • RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I bought one set of Diceland space and have been playing it in hopes of becoming an Omeganaut.

And I would hope that it is guitar hero and not DDR.

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
    edited June 2006
    Trillian wrote:

That made me spit out my drink. Was one of my favorite stories from last years partying.

I was there :D

Trillian on

• Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    Trillian wrote:

I was there :D
    I so need to get in on the parties this year. I some how missed all of them the past two years.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • doczerodoczero Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I don't see how that's possible! They get bigger every year. I'm going to have to block the transit mall with the bus and a live DJ to top last years poker party madness.

Just wander a random hotel floor when the pax doors close and you're likely to find more parties than you can visit in one night.

DocZero

doczero on
    =
    Where there is no love,
    Nothing is possible.
    =
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    Legacy wrote:

Read the edit. Less than a month.

And you'll know what you're playing other than the final game. I'm gonna place my bets on...

Diceland

Guitar Hero(maybe 2)
    Mario Kart DS(or Metroid Prime Hunters)

At least those. I'm not sure on the first console game and the PC game. And the final game...hmm. I dunno.

Do you think maybe the first console game could be Odama? I mean, you don't know for certain, but do you think that would be a good one?

And of course, you say we have less than a month to practice, but it is always fun to practice beforehand in case you do get picked. Then again, I am a dreamer.

QuizMaster on
    edited June 2006
    QuizMaster wrote:
    And of course, you say we have less than a month to practice, but it is always fun to practice beforehand in case you do get picked. Then again, I am a dreamer.

...but you're not the only one...

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I keep having this irrational fear that Omeganaut pickin' time will roll around, and I'll get an e-mail saying "Yeah, we know we said last year's runner-up would get a slot reserved, but we totally changed our minds. You're okay with that, right?"

Poorochondriac on
    edited June 2006
    QuizMaster wrote:

Um...but you won't be able to practice if you don't know what games you'll be playing...

And those are usually announced around the same time as the contestants...

Legacy on
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    QuizMaster wrote:

Um...but you won't be able to practice if you don't know what games you'll be playing...

Oh, really? I must not have as good a memory as you, because I thought the rounds were announced weeks before the contestants.

QuizMaster on
    edited June 2006
    QuizMaster wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    QuizMaster wrote:

Oh, really? I must not have as good a memory as you, because I thought the rounds were announced weeks before the contestants.

Well, we'll see. There's one month before pre-reg ends, and about half a week after that, the contestants will be chosen. So...it could happen this month. But we'll see.

Legacy on
    edited June 2006
    ctishman wrote:
    QuizMaster wrote:

I hope some daayyyy you'll join us...

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
    edited July 2006
    sup3rj0e wrote:
    ctishman wrote:
    QuizMaster wrote:

And the woorrrld will live as one...

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    edited July 2006
    ctishman wrote:
    sup3rj0e wrote:
    ctishman wrote:
    QuizMaster wrote:

*lighterdance*

Trillian on

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    ctishman wrote:
    sup3rj0e wrote:
    ctishman wrote:
    QuizMaster wrote:

*lighterdance*

Man, I love you guys.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I keep having this irrational fear that Omeganaut pickin' time will roll around, and I'll get an e-mail saying "Yeah, we know we said last year's runner-up would get a slot reserved, but we totally changed our minds. You're okay with that, right?"

ok, so why WOUDLN'T you get your second chance is my question to you. Having met gabe, tycho, porkfry, and khoo-- It's a safe bet your getting into the next omegathon.

Viscountalpha on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006

ok, so why WOUDLN'T you get your second chance is my question to you. Having met gabe, tycho, porkfry, and khoo-- It's a safe bet your getting into the next omegathon.

Like I said, the fear is irrational and has absolutely no realistic basis, but I still worry.

That said, I kinda hope they announce the games before they announce the Omeganauts, so I can get a little extra practice in ;)

Poorochondriac on
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited July 2006
    Fear not, man.

Fear not.

-Robert

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    OH it's too far away, I can't wait!!!!!

Seriously all of this has been messing with my sleep habits.
    "This is going to be the best party ever." -Caboose

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • BinkleyBinkley Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I think the best way to look at it is you don't need to the #1 in any given game, you just need to be #X or greater such that you make the cut. As such, I think it's worth practicing the later rounds if you know you have enough proficiency for the early ones.

I mainly played Diceland and DDR (clearly should've played DDR more :lol: ) because I didn't want to be cut in the first round and I knew DDR was a problem spot for me.

Binkley on
    A video blog about random jank:
    The KB Life
This discussion has been closed.