As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk about Giant Bomb! DROBOT IS SKYLANDER OF THE YEAR

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote:
    Blankzilla wrote:
    T4CT wrote:
    Blankzilla wrote:
    I understand that Skyrim is well liked and all

But man, when you are giving GOTY, and one of the criteria is how fun it is, how do you not give it to Saint's Row the Third
    Personally I had more fun with Skyrim!

Saint's Row had a fantastic campaign, even if it was super disjointed, but I had no desire to play the side shit after it was done

Skyrim maybe didn't have as much fun concentrated into a 10 hour period, but I consistently enjoyed myself for all of the 60-70 hours I played, which never happens.

See but that's the difference and the same argument they had on the podcast

Because I did have the urge to do a ton of the side shit, and replay the game, and it was really fun

Skyrim is a really really good game but it felt like the game Oblivion should have been and nothing more. And after playing it for 14 or 15 hours I kind of just got really really tired. I took a break from it for two weeks because every time I looked at it I was just like "I kind of don't want to deal with more of that, I've seen enough" and I think the difference for me is that I've seen enough in SR3 but I want to see that enough all over again because it's just really really fun
    Well that is why it is a personal opinion

you like Saint's Row more, I like Skyrim more

and the GB Crew ended up deciding overall they liked Skyrim more, barring Ryan who didn't even put it on his top 10.

It would be one thing if this was all objective review shit but they preface everything about the GotY stuff by saying it is their own personal opinions on these games. Which is why getting mad at dudes for liking something more than something else is dumb.

except that Jeff and Vinny both think Saints Row the Third is better and Skyrim won a war of attrition

I'm not mad at anyone but I think it's a little weird that Ryan just kind of checked out of the discussion

Especially since SR3 was his #1 game and Skyrim wasn't even on his top 10. I think he did it just to be controversial.

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote:
    ALPHA PROTOCOL WAS GAME OF THE YEAR 2010, SORRY

more like game that worked half of the time of the year also it was stupid 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SEG52T97QQ

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    man you guys are making me not want to play saints row because now I'm worried I'm gonna like it and then be associated with you big whiny babies

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Ubik wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:
    ALPHA PROTOCOL WAS GAME OF THE YEAR 2010, SORRY

more like game that worked half of the time of the year also it was stupid 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SEG52T97QQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8K87H3T1UU

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Well Ryan kind of had to. It seems that he didn't actually play Skyrim, so he couldn't argue between the two games. He could only say he liked Saint's Row a bunch.

Brad and Patrick both placed Skyrim at the top, while Jeff and Vinny placed Saint's Row. Ryan could have tipped the scales but he couldn't really argue against Skyrim since he didn't play it.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    brb writing an e-mail chastising them for bowing down to the pressure and allowing a LAME DRAGON game to win game of the year over the true number one, blackwater

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote:
    Especially since SR3 was his #1 game and Skyrim wasn't even on his top 10. I think he did it just to be controversial.

Yeah I don't think you give Ryan enough credit as a professional. If he didn't talk it up, it was probably for a reason. And that reason wouldn't just "oh I wanna be controversial!"

• Options
    brb writing an e-mail chastising them for bowing down to the pressure and allowing a LAME DRAGON game to win game of the year over the true number one, blackwater

If committing war crimes isn't your game of the year every year I don't want to know you

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    i wouldn't put sr3 in my top 20, fight me

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Ceno wrote:

Yeah I don't think you give Ryan enough credit as a professional. If he didn't talk it up, it was probably for a reason. And that reason wouldn't just "oh I wanna be controversial!"
    Like I said, I think it is because he didn't play Skyrim and felt he couldn't really argue against it, from a credible standpoint.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

yeah but you're the worst, farg

so really

who is going to bother

• Options
    I don't even care about SR3. I just think it's kind of busted that a game that was/is as fundamentally broken on a mechanical level as Skyrim for a good solid number of people (congratulations to those that didn't have any issues) got not only a free pass, but GOTY.

Maybe Brad's copy was magical or something, as Jeff implied. I know in my copy, every dungeon had the spinny statues with the fish, bird and snake and a shit-ton of draugr to kill and every dragon battle was the same and slogging through a repetitive dungeon to find a clever little journal entry at the end of it that comments on how the guy went insane because he was trapped in a sloggy dungeon didn't cause me to gasp in awe at how clever and unique the experience was.

But I understand how a lot of people really like that game.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Ceno wrote:

Like I said, I think it is because he didn't play Skyrim and felt he couldn't really argue against it, from a credible standpoint.

Yes, that is totally valid, I forgot he didn't play Skyrim. He also didn't play Dead Space 2, which makes me claw at the walls a little bit.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular

yeah but you're the worst, farg

so really

who is going to bother

yeah good point
    whatever i'll be over here slobbering over dark souls

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    If legitimately every single dungeon you went through had the statue puzzles then you missed 2/3 of the game. Not to mention how 1/3 of the game doesn't even take place in any sort of dungeon.

The dragon fights I'll give you though.

• Options
    "Fundamentally broken" is pretty strong wording for the issues most people seem to have with Skyrim, as far as I know anyways.

• Options
    what bugged me about the dragon fights was that before launch, we kept hearing about how dynamic and unscripted the dragons were and every fight would be different etc.

then we play the game and every fight is the exact same. There was more variety between fights with bears!

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    "Fundamentally broken" is pretty strong wording for the issues most people seem to have with Skyrim, as far as I know anyways.
    Yeah

most bugs, before that one patch, seemed to be harmless hilarious or easily fixed with a restart. I know I ran into maybe 6 things in my 70 hours, only two of which made me restart my 360

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Well... PS3...

but even if you say GOTY: Skyrim [Except for the PS3 version] it's still a legit GOTY.

• Options

Perhaps. Hitting 0 fps seems pretty fundamental to me.

• Options
    skyrim also has/will have the benefit of a very extensive modding community, that might be something to consider

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Variety of combat has never been a Bethesda game staple. Every tier of enemy fights like all the tiers of the same kind before it. Bears fight like bears. Skeletons fight like skeletons. Liches fight like liches. Dragur have a magic and a melee subtype but those never deviate either.

But this didn't really bother me until it started to wear about 60 hours in because your combat is so varied. Things are trying to kill you the same way over and over, but you can kill them in a myriad of different fashions.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Well Ryan kind of had to. It seems that he didn't actually play Skyrim, so he couldn't argue between the two games. He could only say he liked Saint's Row a bunch.

Brad and Patrick both placed Skyrim at the top, while Jeff and Vinny placed Saint's Row. Ryan could have tipped the scales but he couldn't really argue against Skyrim since he didn't play it.

but by the same token he used his "i can't argue against skyrim because I didn't play it" and then exclusively spoke to the flaws of Saints Row 3

of which there are definitely flaws

but ultimately that's why his vote went "Skyrim" which is ridiculous

i mean I don't want poor Geebs to think I'm whining here because ultimately I don't really care what they give GOTY to

but it's silly to have it come down to two games, one that you really enjoy and one that you haven't played, and then say "well since I don't know enough about x, here's all the things wrong with y, I guess we'd better go with x" when can't speak to the strengths or weaknesses of x either

• Options
    T4CT wrote:
    Blankzilla wrote:

but by the same token he used his "i can't argue against skyrim because I didn't play it" and then exclusively spoke to the flaws of Saints Row 3

i mean I don't want poor Geebs to think I'm whining here because ultimately I don't really care what they give GOTY to

but it's silly to have it come down to two games, one that you really enjoy and one that you haven't played, and then say "well since I don't know enough about x, here's all the things wrong with y, I guess we'd better go with x" when can't speak to the strengths or weaknesses of x either

What else was he supposed to talk about? Just not say anything at all? What benefit is there of that? In detailing the negatives of SR3, at least he was reminding everyone else of its flaws.

• Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    I've more "fundamental breaks" in Saints Row The Third (on PC) then I did with Skyrim (also on PC). Saints Row as flat out locked up or crashed and objectives not work then I've had happen in Skyrim and I've played both about the same amount of time.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    admanb wrote:

Well... PS3...

but even if you say GOTY: Skyrim [Except for the PS3 version] it's still a legit GOTY.

Giant Bomb would agree with you, as that what they did.

My qualms with Skyrim are probably ultimately able to be written off as largely subjective, and I get that and don't begrudge anyone their choice of GOTY on a personal level. But I did play through on the PS3 (almost all of it, you can look at my trophies if you wish) and it was not a GOTY experience for me.

• Options
    T4CT wrote:
    Blankzilla wrote:

What else was he supposed to talk about? Just not say anything at all? What benefit is there of that? In detailing the negatives of SR3, at least he was reminding everyone else of its flaws.

Talk about the strengths and weaknesses of the game, sure thing

but

and this is really a matter of personal taste

when your vote is the tiebreaking vote and you have only played one of the games I'm not really sure if you should cast that vote one way or the other

because honestly at that point you just don't know

• Options
    As long as we can all agree that GiantBomb + everyone arguing about this has legit opinions I don't think there's anything to be upset about.

• Options
    admanb wrote:
    As long as we can all agree that GiantBomb + everyone arguing about this has legit opinions I don't think there's anything to be upset about.

Oh, absolutely. I'm not upset at anyone over here, actually really enjoying the discussion.

• Options
    it's very difficult for me to articulate exactly what i feel is wrong with it but I just feel like it's silly to throw your vote to a game that you haven't ever touched just because the game that you gave your personal GOTY to has some flaws

• Options
    Yeah I agree that Ryan should have abstained

it is one thing if he liked Saint's Row more and still played Skyrim

but when it comes down to two games and you haven't played one of them, you have no place voting either way.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Ryan should definitely talk about the flaws to Saint's Row

and abstain from the overall vote

if he did vote, then yeah, that's silly to do

• Options
    T4CT wrote:
    it's very difficult for me to articulate exactly what i feel is wrong with it but I just feel like it's silly to throw your vote to a game that you haven't ever touched just because the game that you gave your personal GOTY to has some flaws

I haven't yet listened to the podcast and I don't disagree with your statement here, but I think it's disingenuous to say that by listing a few flaws Ryan was throwing his vote to Skyrim. Their awards aren't really voted on in any sense other than the weight of personalities being thrown at the argument. It's a big part of why the discussions are far more interesting than the awards.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Yeah I agree that Ryan should have abstained

it is one thing if he liked Saint's Row more and still played Skyrim

but when it comes down to two games and you haven't played one of them, you have no place voting either way.

yes this

• Options
    admanb wrote:
    T4CT wrote:

I haven't yet listened to the podcast and I don't disagree with your statement here, but I think it's disingenuous to say that by listing a few flaws Ryan was throwing his vote to Skyrim. Their awards aren't really voted on in any sense other than the weight of personalities being thrown at the argument. It's a big part of why the discussions are far more interesting than the awards.

he directly says "Jeff I can't walk down this road with you" when it comes down to Saints Row the Third vs Skyrim

and this is before anyone talks about anything, period.

• Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    I think...

I think Driver: San Francisco might be my game of the year. Or at least in my top 3.

Even I think that is crazy.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    One thing we can all agree on is how awesome Vinny's sexy metaphor for both Skyrim and SR3 was. In that you want to spend good, cozy quality time with Skyrim and then you want to fuck the shit out of SR3.

Ceno on
  • Options
    Future GOTY awards should be replaced by marry/fuck/kill.

• Options
    and eerily accurate

• Options
    I think that Saint's Row was a bigger achievement than Skyrim in some ways

like they said on one of the podcasts, this is the first real GotY contender THQ and Volition have ever put out. This brings both of them into a much bigger profile than they were before.

Skyrim is fantastic but pretty much everyone knew it would be fantastic.

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.